Start by marking “Twig” as Want to Read:
Twig

Twig

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  316 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Twig was a plain, ordinary little girl who found an empty tomato can with pictures of bright red tomatoes all round it. When it was upside down, it looked like a house just the right size for a fairy! This is the story of what happened in and around that little house one Saturday afternoon.
Hardcover, 60th Anniversary Edition, 152 pages
Published December 3rd 2005 by Purple House Press (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Twig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twig

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Best Children's Fantasy
277th out of 572 books — 969 voters
Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgeHalf Magic by Edward EagerThe Moffats by Eleanor EstesAll-of-a-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor
The Out-of-Print/Backlist Challenge
55th out of 195 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Allie
May 20, 2011 Allie rated it really liked it
As a teenager, I often find myself thinking, with pricking eyes, of younger me. Such an odd little girl, so possessive of her dolls, so big-eyed in old photographs. It seems like I was her just yesterday. Where did she go, I wonder?

And then I'll read a book like Twig and think, oh, right, here she is. She never left.

When I was eight or nine, Twig just sort of got to me. Don't ask me why. Maybe it was the little fairy house with the stick-of-gum bridge that I wanted so badly to walk over, the shi
Matt
Sep 21, 2007 Matt rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: urbanite kids and their parents
Shelves: for-the-kids
Twig lives in a little apartment in urban Chicago during the 1920s. But the little fenced- and walled-in slab of dirt in the behind the building is a wonderland for Twig. Gum wrappers, tomato cans, and the nest of sparrows are just a few of the mundane objects that become extraordinary when a little elf (escaped from a library book) visits Twig's backyard.

We have read this book aloud to our kids three times already (and encores are rare around here), and they still ask to hear it again. Full of
Ramatteson
Aug 07, 2008 Ramatteson rated it it was amazing
This is just a beautiful book. I think a bit auto-biographical. Without ruining the end it's the story of a poor urban girl's imaginings one Saturday. Illustrations by the author always a plus. A fun read-aloud with child-like banter between the 2 main characters. A fun intro to fairies.
Loganosity
Feb 24, 2012 Loganosity rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It was out of print for many years. I had an old copy and finally (after many emails to family and searching) found this 60th Anniversary Edition. I was so glad to have another copy to share with younger relatives.
Lamar
Mar 04, 2012 Lamar rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever took out of the Library by myself...I was in 4th grade..Loved this book so much as a child I later found it on Ebay and now I have it again.
Stephanie
Aug 26, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I remember LOVING this as a little girl. Planning on reading it to my kids again! A fairy living in a tomato can...can you beat that?
A.
A very sweet little fairy tale. A quick read for an adult, and probably a good read-aloud book for young children who are just ready for short chapter books. A little girl gets to shrink down to fairy-size and have an adventure with an elf and a couple of fairies and a few animals. The illustrations are lovely, too.

My daughter pulled this off the shelf at the thrift store (she's a toddler and she loves books but can't read yet), and it was 50% off books that day, so I bought it. Once I'd gotten
Nicole
Mar 28, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Utterly charming.
Siskiyou-Suzy
This is a weird, weird book. It has everything in it to be one of those charming old-school children's stories. Those are my favorite. But my oh my was this one poorly done. It was full of interesting stuff, such as a chapter that ends by saying something like "let's try that again" and then begins with a new chapter that starts exactly as the other one did but ends up in a different spot. It's got something meta going on, talk about being a part of a story, etc.

But the writing feels so off-the-
Julie Fischer
Aug 01, 2013 Julie Fischer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all young children who are able to listen to a story
Recommended to Julie by: Miss Love my librarian
Of all the books that have been read to me at an early age and those in which I picked up as an adult and read to my students, Twig by Elizabeth Orton Jones is my all time favorite! As a little girl I did not learn to read until I was in third grade. Elizabeth Orton Jones brought her little character Twig alive to me. I immediately identified with her and acted out the story at home.

I could not wait to hear what would happen in the next chapter. Each of the story's characters became alive to me.
Margaret
Aug 20, 2014 Margaret marked it as to-read
Recommended to Margaret by: Sonlight forums

(Not read yet, just thoughts)
After looking at a copy of the anniversary edition from interloan library, I'm still indecisive on whether to get a physical copy or Kindle (full color) copy. The eBook costs the same. The physical book is a little odd shape though, it is more square than not and taller than some of my read alouds, like The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook and Teddy Robinson Storybook, The but not quite as tall as others like our early chapter books in Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super S
Ashley Twiggs
Oct 01, 2014 Ashley Twiggs rated it it was amazing
This was originally given to me as a joke, as my last name is Twiggs. As I read it though, I found myself in a world of magic and imagination that took me back to my childhood. I absolutely love this book.

That being said, I found quite a lot of oddly specific parallels between this book and my own life, enough that my cousin legitimately thought someone was following me around and turning my life into a fantasy story. The weirdest thing is that this book was written way before I was born.
Kara Danielsen
Feb 17, 2010 Kara Danielsen rated it really liked it
A poor girl with a huge imagination falls into a world with a beautiful Queen fairy, birds, cat, an elf and a magician as her closet friends. She lives with elf in a tomato can that she had prepared before she was shrunk. She loves taking care of Mrs. Sparrow's eggs. Elf is from a book so Twig has to teach him things. She eventually finds out where she is and how her imagination can bring such happiness!

Elf is my favorite character because he is a fun little guy that wants to make Twig happy. He
Kellie Ewilson
Aug 05, 2014 Kellie Ewilson rated it liked it
A sweet story with spare, but well placed pictures. If you're into fairies, mild problems, and time to reminisce, then you'll appreciate this story.
Anne Thomsen Lord
Oct 28, 2009 Anne Thomsen Lord rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-lit, nostalgia, 2009
Twig was so fun. It will be a great book to read to Thomsen when he is a little older. The books takes you into the imagination of a little girl living in a fourth floor apartment that disappears for hours making her own fun in the grassless backyard of the apartment complex. I can't quite figure out when the story takes place because Twig's father is a taxi driver, but an ice wagon horse is a primary figure in Twig's world. No matter when it was, I loved it. I love how children used to have to ...more
Jodi Collins
Feb 18, 2016 Jodi Collins rated it it was amazing
If your kids like fairies, imagination, and exploring this story will be a hit. It all takes place in the backyard of little Twig and it couldn't be a sweeter, more delightful example of turning the everyday into the extraordinary.
Galatea Vita
Apr 21, 2016 Galatea Vita rated it it was amazing
Funny and lovely story of a little girl and the fairy world in her backyard
Coreena
Apr 05, 2014 Coreena rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite over and over books when I was a child
Carol
Feb 02, 2016 Carol added it
Good kids book. Enjoyed reading it.
Erica
Feb 25, 2010 Erica rated it did not like it
i really had high hopes for this book. jo bought it for me for christmas and it was such a sweet treat. a book that shared my family nickname. the context is really sweet, a little girl meets a little elf who makes her small as well and she gets to have a friendship with a sparrow and meet the fairy queen. but sadly it was actually really boring and quite random. it did have some very sweet illustrations, but that's about all that i can really recommend. i'm still going to love having it on my b ...more
Glynn
Jan 29, 2015 Glynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
All this time I thought it was Pippi Longstocking who got me completely hooked on reading......it may just have been Twig, though. I had forgotten about Twig, but it all came back when I spotted a copy at my favorite 2nd hand store.

It is an absolute delight. Twig is kind of an assertive little fusspot. I'm sure that was perfect for seven-year-old me!

The illustrations are charmingly detailed. I especially love the soupcan house.

Aah nostalgia. I don't go in for it much. But Twig is a different sto
Sara
Nov 06, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
My husband gave me this one for Christmas as it was one of my childhood favorites. I especially loved the way that when the little fairies speak, the font used is small. Anyway, that thrilled me when I was young. Somehow, the book doesn't translate that well for me as an adult. Way too long ago I guess. Kids should still like it though.
Kacie
Feb 01, 2016 Kacie rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable read-aloud for me, my 7yo son and 5yo daughter. They gave it 5 stars.

Nov 23, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Read this to my kids, 6 and 4. The prose style was a little difficult for them to follow, and sometimes a little difficult to read aloud. Also, the repetitiveness got annoying reading aloud. But, it was a cute story and I really like the imagination = magic theme.
Cynthia Egbert
Feb 12, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-purchase
Talk about nostalgia. This was precious and brought back so many memories of similar afternoons I spent as a child. I mean how can you go wrong with an elf that was found leaving the public library with a book in his hand, a book about magic...
Priscilla
Classic and still charming. Simple story about a little girl who has day-long adventure with an elf, some funny sparrows, and a fairy princess, using her imagination. Very sweet and would work well as a first chapter book, read aloud by a parent.
Lisa
Jan 04, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This was one of my daughter's favorite books. For along time she would want her hair done "like Twig's." In fact we still call her Twig since she wanted a fairy to come live us. And One Did! A very sweet book.
sosser
Jan 20, 2008 sosser rated it it was amazing
the first book i ever read by myself, to myself.

recommended for anyone who appreciates children's literature, or who has ever imagined shrinking down to a tiny size and having adventures.
Beth
Dec 27, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
if you are looking for a well-written fairy story that leaves you feeling like time was not wasted and children's brains will not be diminished by reading it...you've found it. lovely.
Haunani Johnson
Jun 18, 2012 Haunani Johnson rated it liked it
This was the first book novel-like book that I remember reading all by myself!
My Grandma bought it for me; it was a great, adorable, and an imaginative children's book :)
  • The House Above the Trees
  • A Toad for Tuesday
  • The Complete Brambly Hedge
  • Wolf Story
  • Cotton In My Sack
  • The Happy Hollisters at Snowflake Camp (Happy Hollisters, #6)
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic (Toys, #1)
  • The Alley (The Alley, #1)
  • Happy Times in Noisy Village