Start by marking “Twig” as Want to Read:
Twig

Twig

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Twig was a plain, ordinary little girl who found an empty tomato can with pictures of bright red tomatoes all round it. When it was upside down, it looked like a house just the right size for a fairy! This is the story of what happened in and around that little house one Saturday afternoon.
Hardcover, 60th Anniversary Edition, 152 pages
Published December 3rd 2005 by Purple House Press (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Twig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twig

Night by Elie WieselHoles by Louis SacharSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonCut by Patricia McCormickDune by Frank Herbert
Titles of Only One Syllable
117th out of 381 books — 113 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best Children's Fantasy
255th out of 537 books — 793 voters

More lists with this book...

Matthew
Sep 21, 2007 Matthew rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: urbanite kids and their parents
Shelves: for-the-kids
Twig lives in a little apartment in urban Chicago during the 1920s. But the little fenced- and walled-in slab of dirt in the behind the building is a wonderland for Twig. Gum wrappers, tomato cans, and the nest of sparrows are just a few of the mundane objects that become extraordinary when a little elf (escaped from a library book) visits Twig's backyard.

We have read this book aloud to our kids three times already (and encores are rare around here), and they still ask to hear it again. Full of
Allie
As a teenager, I often find myself thinking, with pricking eyes, of younger me. Such an odd little girl, so possessive of her dolls, so big-eyed in old photographs. It seems like I was her just yesterday. Where did she go, I wonder?

And then I'll read a book like Twig and think, oh, right, here she is. She never left.

When I was eight or nine, Twig just sort of got to me. Don't ask me why. Maybe it was the little fairy house with the stick-of-gum bridge that I wanted so badly to walk over, the shi
Ramatteson
This is just a beautiful book. I think a bit auto-biographical. Without ruining the end it's the story of a poor urban girl's imaginings one Saturday. Illustrations by the author always a plus. A fun read-aloud with child-like banter between the 2 main characters. A fun intro to fairies.
Loganosity
I love this book. It was out of print for many years. I had an old copy and finally (after many emails to family and searching) found this 60th Anniversary Edition. I was so glad to have another copy to share with younger relatives.
Lamar
This was the first book I ever took out of the Library by myself...I was in 4th grade..Loved this book so much as a child I later found it on Ebay and now I have it again.
Stephanie
I remember LOVING this as a little girl. Planning on reading it to my kids again! A fairy living in a tomato can...can you beat that?
A.
A very sweet little fairy tale. A quick read for an adult, and probably a good read-aloud book for young children who are just ready for short chapter books. A little girl gets to shrink down to fairy-size and have an adventure with an elf and a couple of fairies and a few animals. The illustrations are lovely, too.

My daughter pulled this off the shelf at the thrift store (she's a toddler and she loves books but can't read yet), and it was 50% off books that day, so I bought it. Once I'd gotten
Nicole
Utterly charming.
Julie Fischer
Aug 01, 2013 Julie Fischer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all young children who are able to listen to a story
Recommended to Julie by: Miss Love my librarian
Of all the books that have been read to me at an early age and those in which I picked up as an adult and read to my students, Twig by Elizabeth Orton Jones is my all time favorite! As a little girl I did not learn to read until I was in third grade. Elizabeth Orton Jones brought her little character Twig alive to me. I immediately identified with her and acted out the story at home.

I could not wait to hear what would happen in the next chapter. Each of the story's characters became alive to me.
Margaret
Aug 20, 2014 Margaret marked it as to-read
Recommended to Margaret by: Sonlight forums

(Not read yet, just thoughts)
After looking at a copy of the anniversary edition from interloan library, I'm still indecisive on whether to get a physical copy or Kindle (full color) copy. The eBook costs the same. The physical book is a little odd shape though, it is more square than not and taller than some of my read alouds, like The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook and Teddy Robinson Storybook, The but not quite as tall as others like our early chapter books in Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super S
Ashley Twiggs
This was originally given to me as a joke, as my last name is Twiggs. As I read it though, I found myself in a world of magic and imagination that took me back to my childhood. I absolutely love this book.

That being said, I found quite a lot of oddly specific parallels between this book and my own life, enough that my cousin legitimately thought someone was following me around and turning my life into a fantasy story. The weirdest thing is that this book was written way before I was born.
Kara Danielsen
A poor girl with a huge imagination falls into a world with a beautiful Queen fairy, birds, cat, an elf and a magician as her closet friends. She lives with elf in a tomato can that she had prepared before she was shrunk. She loves taking care of Mrs. Sparrow's eggs. Elf is from a book so Twig has to teach him things. She eventually finds out where she is and how her imagination can bring such happiness!

Elf is my favorite character because he is a fun little guy that wants to make Twig happy. He
Kellie Ewilson
A sweet story with spare, but well placed pictures. If you're into fairies, mild problems, and time to reminisce, then you'll appreciate this story.
Anne Thomsen Lord
Twig was so fun. It will be a great book to read to Thomsen when he is a little older. The books takes you into the imagination of a little girl living in a fourth floor apartment that disappears for hours making her own fun in the grassless backyard of the apartment complex. I can't quite figure out when the story takes place because Twig's father is a taxi driver, but an ice wagon horse is a primary figure in Twig's world. No matter when it was, I loved it. I love how children used to have to ...more
Coreena
This was one of my favorite over and over books when I was a child
Erica
i really had high hopes for this book. jo bought it for me for christmas and it was such a sweet treat. a book that shared my family nickname. the context is really sweet, a little girl meets a little elf who makes her small as well and she gets to have a friendship with a sparrow and meet the fairy queen. but sadly it was actually really boring and quite random. it did have some very sweet illustrations, but that's about all that i can really recommend. i'm still going to love having it on my b ...more
Glynn
All this time I thought it was Pippi Longstocking who got me completely hooked on reading......it may just have been Twig, though. I had forgotten about Twig, but it all came back when I spotted a copy at my favorite 2nd hand store.

It is an absolute delight. Twig is kind of an assertive little fusspot. I'm sure that was perfect for seven-year-old me!

The illustrations are charmingly detailed. I especially love the soupcan house.

Aah nostalgia. I don't go in for it much. But Twig is a different sto
Sara
My husband gave me this one for Christmas as it was one of my childhood favorites. I especially loved the way that when the little fairies speak, the font used is small. Anyway, that thrilled me when I was young. Somehow, the book doesn't translate that well for me as an adult. Way too long ago I guess. Kids should still like it though.
Read this to my kids, 6 and 4. The prose style was a little difficult for them to follow, and sometimes a little difficult to read aloud. Also, the repetitiveness got annoying reading aloud. But, it was a cute story and I really like the imagination = magic theme.
Cynthia Egbert
Talk about nostalgia. This was precious and brought back so many memories of similar afternoons I spent as a child. I mean how can you go wrong with an elf that was found leaving the public library with a book in his hand, a book about magic...
Priscilla
Classic and still charming. Simple story about a little girl who has day-long adventure with an elf, some funny sparrows, and a fairy princess, using her imagination. Very sweet and would work well as a first chapter book, read aloud by a parent.
Lisa
This was one of my daughter's favorite books. For along time she would want her hair done "like Twig's." In fact we still call her Twig since she wanted a fairy to come live us. And One Did! A very sweet book.
sosser
the first book i ever read by myself, to myself.

recommended for anyone who appreciates children's literature, or who has ever imagined shrinking down to a tiny size and having adventures.
Beth
Dec 27, 2011 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kidlit
if you are looking for a well-written fairy story that leaves you feeling like time was not wasted and children's brains will not be diminished by reading it...you've found it. lovely.
Haunani Johnson
This was the first book novel-like book that I remember reading all by myself!
My Grandma bought it for me; it was a great, adorable, and an imaginative children's book :)
Stacy
Dec 03, 2007 Stacy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children aged 4-7
Shelves: read-kids-older
Great timeless children's fairy story - perfect longer chapter book (as a read aloud for the child who has matured beyond picture books but not yet reading independently.)
Antoine
I remember that i loved it so much that I wanted to be IN this book. But beyond the coffeee can in the backyard, I really don't remember much about it at all.
Diona Osterman-Api
My most most most favorite childhood friend! I used to sit in the nook of a hug oak on our farm outside of Milnor, ND and read it and imagine imagine imagine!
Kristyn
I read this book over and over and over... my grandma gave it to me just recently to keep. Hoping my daughter will like it just as much as I have.
Pete
A celebration of (the now lost art of) childhood imagination. My boys really liked this book. They had it read to them twice in a row!
  • Beyond the Pawpaw Trees: The Story of Anna Lavinia
  • The Complete Brambly Hedge
  • The Wind Boy
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Hari-Hari Bahagia di Bullerbyn
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
  • Betsy and Billy
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • The Alley (The Alley, #1)
  • No Flying in the House
  • Mud Pies and Other Recipes
  • The Most Wonderful Doll in the World (Blue Ribbon Book)
Big Susan Little Red Riding Hood Maminka's Children Small Rain Prayer for a Child