Start by marking “The Playa's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Playa's Handbook

The Playa's Handbook (Playa's Series #1)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  507 ratings  ·  16 reviews
There's not a whole lot happening in Gary, Indiana. That is, until nationally renowned relationship expert Lance Montgomery bursts on to the scene. Twice divorced, Montgomery is now on a mission to perfect the art of being single. His tantalizing book The Playa's Handbook is causing quite a stir. His rules include:

*Never give a woman the key to your apartment.
*Playas "have
Published November 2nd 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Playa's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Playa's Handbook

African Americans on the Move Book Club
AAMBC Book Review, May 29, 2008

When you get into the concept of this book, you can see how some men look at commitment, and how some crave for commitment. I enjoyed this book, because it was truthful and gave a depiction of four men looking for love in all the wrong places. If you think you can find love by following a book, you're wrong. When the men finally stop listening to what everyone else was telling them and started listening to their hearts, their life became more fulfilling. Great bo
D.S. White
Gary, Indiana has come a long way from Ron Howard's lisped version of, Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary Indiana! heard in the Musical, The Music Man.

In Brenda Hampton's Playa's Handbook Gary, Indiana is home to one Lance Montgomery who author's The Playa's Handbook. Read the top ten rules below:

Top Ten Rules [DS's comments in ()]

- Never give a woman the key to your apartment.
- Playas "have sex," they don't "make love."
- Avoid crotch-grabbers, unless you like feeling assaulted.
- Before you
4.5 stars. I don't know why I picked this book up and there were times I wasn't sure why I kept reading. In many ways, it is not the sort of book I would typically enjoy. The style was a bit abrupt, even choppy, the story was split between 4 concurrent lines that made it a little difficult to get into at first, and I didn't particularly like Lance, the author of "The Playa's Handbook," for which the book was named.

But every time I thought about putting the book down, either because Lance was do
M Landry
The book started at a slow pace, but it picked up. The author did a good job telling the story. I particularly loved the way she separated each character's story by heading the chapters with the names of the characters that they focused on. Some of the wording was repetitive, which did wear on me a few times, but other than that, it was an enjoyable read. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
I liked this book. I would have liked it even better if there had been one character who was really a great example of the handbook. Especially considering the author of the handbook meets the woman who makes him want to change his way. I also would not recommend this book unless you are a believer. Jackson makes more references to religion than in any of her books I've read and I believe I've ready 95% of them.
At first I thought this book was dragging a bit and maybe what was said in 600 pages could've been said in 300. But Brenda Jackson is one of my favorite authors for a reason. The story compelled me to continue, pushing me to understand the depths of the characters and their dilemma. There was a twist to ending that I didn't anticipate but was happy for it!!
Awesome read and a wonderful start to this "Playas" series. Although Lance started out as a male DOG, I was amused to see him get what he deserved. However, I am secretly wishing for him to claim his true love after learning his own lesson about love. I look forward to reading the next installment of the playas series "No More Playas"!
This was a quick read. The story was about some guys who try and follow these rules for how to be a playa. While going through this exercise things get a little crazy and in the end they figure out the type of men that they really are. I think that it teaches the lesson that being a playa is not always as great as many think it is.
A book about 5 men who think they can be or try to be playa's. I must admit that I sometimes got confused between the 5 male characters but otherwise the author manages really well to tell 5 interlocking stories.
Sean Russell
Quite engaging as the stories of the four main characters unfold and in places intertwine but really four romance stories in one ,with likeable characters ,except Marcus who gets what he deserves. Enjoyable easy read.
Very good book. This book is an eye opener for those of you who think life is over when you get cheated on or a spouse is deceased. It's not goes on...and you have to, too.(YOU LIVE & YOU LEARN!)
What an interesting story.... Brenda Jackson has done it again. I especially loved the fact that all the men excluding the unfortunate Lance... came to the realization that they were one women men. Great read!
Miriam Jackson
Page turner. I thought it was going to be boring, but it was not. It was good that Lance found the woman that he loves and did not give up fighting for her.
Love it...Amazing I couldn't put it down even for a a must read
This book goes with No More Players.
Slow start decent ending
Nikisha marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Victoria Asberry
Victoria Asberry marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
LoveandLearn marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Anaree_b marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
BEP090P2: character 5 7 Oct 26, 2014 04:35PM
  • Let's Get It On
  • A Valentine Kiss: Cupids Bow\Made In Heaven\Matchmaker
  • A Whole Lotta Love
  • Like the First Time
  • Defenseless
  • Heated

Brenda Jackson was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. She got married to Gerald, her high school sweetheart, in 1972 after graduating from high school. She went on to earn a degree in business administration from Jacksonville University, and to expand their family by having two sons, Gerald Jr. and Brando
More about Brenda Jackson...

Playa's Series (3 books)
  • No More Playas
  • What a Woman Wants
Irresistible Forces (Steele Series #5) Delaney's Desert Sheikh (The Westmorelands #1) Thorn's Challenge (The Westmoreland Series) A Little Dare (The Westmoreland Series) Riding The Storm (The Westmoreland Series)