Sky High: The True Story of Maggie Gee

Sky High: The True Story of Maggie Gee

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  22 reviews
When I was little, something special happened every Sunday. Other families went to baseball games or the movies, but not mine . . . We went to watch the airplanes. . . .

Maggie dreamed of flying--just like her favorite pilot, Amelia Earhart. She told her brothers and sisters stories of flying across oceans and deserts, and all around the world. But in the 1920s and 1930s,...more
Published September 8th 2009 by Tricycle Press (first published 2009)

Cejohnston
This book is a biography of Maggie Gee, an Asian American woman who fought for the US during World War II. It tells that as a child, Maggie told stories of the future when she would be a pilot. In return, Maggie's family tells her "true stories." A theme of this book is to follow your dreams just like Maggie followed her dreams to become a WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilots). The book also addressed how many people were surprised that an Asian American woman was flying for the US military. This...more
Ed
Dec 05, 2012 Ed added it
Moss, Marissa. (2009). Sky High: The True Story of Maggie Gee. Berkeley, CA: Tricycle Press 32 pp. ISBN 1-58246-280-1 Hard Cover); $16.99

So what do you do when you want to fly and you are both Asian and female? Today, this question strikes us as demeaning and almost unspeakable. For Maggie Gee, however, an Asian pilot during World War II, the question was akin to the elephant in the room—always looming whether spoken of or not. During World War II we did not have many women pilots and even fewer...more
Margaret
8/9/13 ** I stumbled on this book the week before school started as I made my annual trip to the library to gather picture book biographies of scientists. I always keep my eyes out for biographies of other interesting people, though I am rather picky about the format. I prefer the picture book format, rather than the more "academic" mini-chapter book format that populates much of the j section of the biographies.

I'd never heard of Maggie Gee, but thought that this book would fit extremely well w...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Maggie Gee was one of only two Chinese Americans to serve as a WASP in World War II. This book tells her story.

The text is clear and the pictures are bright and colorful. I liked the way the book talked about family stories both true and not-yet-to-be-true. The difficulties Gee faced as a minority and as a woman during that time were mentioned, but were not the entire focus of the book.

The author's note adds more to Gee's story. The last page of the book shows photographs of those mentioned in...more
Shelli
Maggie Gee was an Asian American woman pilot fighting for the US during World War II. Just being a woman pilot during this time in history was an unthinkable accomplishment all its own, BUT to be a Asian American Woman fighting for the Allied forces seems like an impossible combination.

Entertaining and informative picture book that kids and educators will love!
Literacy Group
This is a children's picture book about Maggie Gee, ?. Maggie spent every Sunday of her childhood at the airport with her family watching planes take off and land, dreaming of becoming a pilot herself. When she was older, World War II began and her life changed. After she heard about the Woman Airforce Service Pilots, or WASP, she was determined to join them. She went to flight school and was chosen to join WASP. She became one of only two Chinese Americans to serve in WASP.

Grades: K-3
Heather
Lindsey
In such a short book, Moss manages to effectively touch on several issues: American tension around Asian people in WWII, WASP's role in the war, balancing American culture with Chinese culture, childhood heroes or role models (Amelia Earhart was Maggie's). I thought this book was incredibly well done. I will be reading more of Marissa Moss.

Beautifully written, Beautifully illustrated. A great read.
Mary Ann
As a young girl, Maggie Gee longed to fly, but it wasn’t until World War II broke out that she was able to achieve this dream. One of only two Chinese-American women to join the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP), Maggie’s passion for flying shines through in this biography of a true local hero. Gee went to UC Berkeley and was a longtime resident of Berkeley after her days in the WASP.
Jim
wonderful read! a girl dreams of being like her hero amelia earhardt. and her dream comes true.

two things about this book, Carl Angel has painted a cow that is shocked/startled/suprised - just plain (plane?) freaked out that is worth the caldecott by itself.

the pilots that trained the WW11 pilots had live ammunition shot at their planes. Maggie Gee is a Bay Area hero.
J.D. Holman
I read this to the Kindergarten class on the same day they got to meet the author. :)

Lovely illustrations and a great narrative. This story is very accessible to young children, and encourages them to follow their dreams.

Review available at http://moonlit-librarian.blogspot.com...
Alexandria Shafer
Being based on a true story I feel that this a great educational tool to use for many different topics and lessons. It could be used for WWII, aviation, women's roles during WWII, and also about dreams and having goals and aspirations for yourself and being able to achieve them if you just stick with it and not give up.
Chris
I liked this fun look into the life of Maggie Gee, one of only two WWII WASPS of Chinese heritage. I like that this book tackled two subjects that receive little attention: Chinese Americans and the valuable contributions of WASPS. Maggie is a good roll model for girls and this book was well-written and exciting.
Sandybear76
A story of a World War II flyer in the Army. The flyer is unique in that the flyer is a young woman, and she was Chinese-American. The story tells of Maggie Gee and her dream to fly. She enlists in the WASP and is one in 1,037 women flyers who made it. The Army had over 25000 women try out as pilots.
Mrs Bond
Fascinating story of the life of WWII WASP pilot Maggie Gee. Wonderful telling of Maggie as a child dreaming of flying one day, leading to her experiences as a pilot. Includes author's note and several captioned photos of Maggie Gee and her family.
Pauline
I had the privilege of seeing Maggie at Las Positas College this year on Veteran's Day. She, the author and illustrator spoke. It's a very interesting story and I've read it aloud to my grandchildren. Dreams do come true.
Kione
A great children's history book, filled with beautiful cover to cover illustrations.
I believe that Ms. Maggie Gee will finally be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for her service as a US pilot during WWII.
Matthew
This story of a female pilot from WWII is a cool addition to any biography collection. Maggie Gee's story is a bit obscure, but well worth reading. Strong piece of writing.
Mandy
Informative; nice illustrations; I appreciated the photos and additional info in the author's note. Not a standout among this year's NFPBs.
Teri
Get a little history behind the women flight team in WWII, and what it might be like to be oriental at this time in history.
M. Reedz
I liked it because it had actual facts about a true person. She was a good role model who wanted to fly like Amelia.
Katie Bruce
Interesting picture book bio of a female Chinese American pilot in WWII. Great for women's history month!
Lisa
Jul 02, 2012 Lisa marked it as to-read
Great pictures with birds-eye-view as the main character flies in the plane
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub...more
More about Marissa Moss...
Amelia's Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #1) Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2) Amelia Hits The Road (Amelia's Notebooks, #3) Amelia's 6th-Grade Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #15) Amelia's Boredom Survival Guide (Amelia's Notebooks, #5)