Start by marking “Knitting Brioche: The Essential Guide to the Brioche Stitch” as Want to Read:
Knitting Brioche: The Essential Guide to the Brioche Stitch

Knitting Brioche: The Essential Guide to the Brioche Stitch

Hungry for new knitting techniques? Try knitting brioche

"Knitting Brioche" is the first and only knitting book devoted exclusively to brioche stitch, a knitting technique that creates a double-sided fabric. This complete guide will take you from your first brioche stitches to your first (or hundredth) project, and even to designing with brioche stitch, if you desire. Whet

Published January 1st 2010 by Northlight (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Brioche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Brioche

Lobstergirl
Nov 05, 2013 Lobstergirl rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
I just learned the basic brioche stitch. I don't know yet if I will make a whole garment...the technique has some downsides. It uses a ton of yarn, sometimes up to twice the amount of a regular stockinette item. It also knits up really big and bulky, so the author strongly advises you to go down several needle sizes than recommended for the yarn you're using. Of course, when you go down several needle sizes, the knitting becomes tighter and more difficult to manipulate on the needle.

If I do make
Hrynkiw
Oct 21, 2010 Hrynkiw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent! Dispite being distracted by other projects, I keep browsing through this book and am eager to try the techniques. See also her website http://briochestitch.com
Nora Roy
May 24, 2012 Nora Roy rated it liked it
I took a class in Brioche stitch and I have to admit that it is simply too difficult for my aging brain to learn to do, unless I wanted to do nothing but Brioche stitch. I have too much knitting to do in techniques that I love, and I do not love Brioche. I will never love Brioche. So, this book must go to someone who wants to knit Brioche.
Tina
Jul 18, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
I haven't picked up my needles and tried anything from this book yet. Having simply read through it, it looks great. The pictures of the techniques and swatches are excellent and numerous. I'm looking forward to having the time to tuck in with this book and give brioche a try!
Polly
Feb 17, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
Knitting yumminess! I've been getting a little bored with my knitting lately, and this may be just what I need!
Liz De Coster
Nov 18, 2015 Liz De Coster marked it as abandoned
Shelves: hobbies, knitting
Hoo boy, I'm in over my head here.
Gabriela
Apr 17, 2014 Gabriela rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I finally learned how to knit with two colours using this stitch! So lovely! Wil definitely try it soon!
Barbara Klaser
Mar 04, 2014 Barbara Klaser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: needlework
I haven't yet started knitting from this book, though I have tried brioche knitting instructions from another source (Power Cables by Lily Chin), and I've pored over this book numerous times. My next knitting challenge for myself is to knit brioche. Marchant provides a huge array of variations on this stitch, as well as some beautiful object patterns to try, from simple to (in my view) super-challenging. The stitch is not an easy one, it's a challenge to learn, and especially tricky as far as co ...more
Kristine
Dec 21, 2010 Kristine added it
Shelves: knitting
thus is a serious, hardcore, everything you need to know book. Basically inventing all the stitches surrounding Brioche. definitely the resource when I try this out but w/o a project in hand, it's not easy to figure out. The projects look so lush and thick, but also use a lot of yarn. I like the design of the Rembrandt neckpiece, but at 400g of heavy worsted, I'd need an amazing deal to be able to make it!
Mar 05, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A fascinating look into this very "3-D" looking knitting. Very clear instructions and an interesting technique. The author has created new terms and corresponding abbreviations since some of the techniques are unique. And she has given them the cutest nicknames: "bark" for "brioche knit 1" and "burp" for "brioche purl 1." Love it!
Lil' Grogan
Feb 15, 2012 Lil' Grogan rated it really liked it
Shelves: handmade
Nice stitch dictionary, patterns are pretty basic. I would recommend buying a hard copy version of this book instead of the ebook version which I bought. Serious problems with formatting so that most of the time the swatch and the stitch instructions do not match, makes it very annoying.
Jackie Fowler
Mar 07, 2012 Jackie Fowler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Excellent, thorough, and clear coverage of brioche stitch. Any type of decrease and increase, one color or two, are included here. There were so many variations, I couldn't remember them all. Great reference.
Ruth
Apr 28, 2016 Ruth rated it really liked it
An essential book if you're new to barks and burps. Very thorough, clearly written and reassuringly straightforward (even though it seems terrifying when faced with abbreviations such as sl1yof, brp1).
Georgina
If you are dyslexic, skip this book. You will not be able to read Marchant's abbreviations or make any sense of her Japanese-inspired(!?!) chart symbols. This form of knitting clearly requires a video of the technique in action. The photos were not very helpful. FAIL.
carolyn
Mar 11, 2016 carolyn rated it it was amazing
love the 2 tone effects in the knitting
Hari Brandl
Jan 14, 2015 Hari Brandl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I haven't "finished" this book because I will use it as a resource, but I have read all the exposition and even some of the patterns.
Laura Hannah
Mar 08, 2013 Laura Hannah rated it really liked it
Love this book. I find it invaluable in my collection. That being said, some of the instruction is unclear and you will need to supplement with another source and /or video
Larissa
Aug 06, 2011 Larissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Excellent pictures. Clear instructions. This one will be on the "currently reading" list for a while.
Laurie Traverse
Dec 08, 2010 Laurie Traverse rated it it was amazing
Complicated technique well explained and lots of photos to help you master it.
Martha
Jul 10, 2010 Martha added it
too complicated for me to understand as a knitter who does so for relaxation
Michelle
Mar 20, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
Good guide to an awesome technique. Brioche isn't really mindless knitting, but the resulting fabric is worth the effort.
Mckinley
Aug 25, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Interesting. Not a technique I knew about. Nothing for me for now.
Lana
Oct 08, 2011 Lana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Challenging techniques to try when I have lots of time
Dana *
Feb 26, 2010 Dana * rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiber
Fantastic how to and inspirational design book. One of a kind, highly recommend an overall view of a not often used stitch and the beautiful variations that can be created using it.
Tynisha
Tynisha rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Mary Morony
Mary Morony rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Adne
Adne rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak
Nancy Osberg-otrembiak rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Eryn
Eryn rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2011
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Knitwear Design Workshop: A Comprehensive Guide to Handknits
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • Knitted Lace of Estonia
  • Domino Knitting
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Lace Style
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • First Book of Modern Lace Knitting
  • Knitters Handy Book Of Patterns: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges (Interweave)
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns