Start by marking “Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action” as Want to Read:
Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action

Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action

The six core strategies to elevate any business-and how to implement them-made simple

What do the world's most successful companies and organization have in common? And what can you actually take away and use from their examples? Distilling the best fundamental business strategies, trusted advisor and strategist John Spence helps you take a hard look at your business and to
Published September 1st 2009 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Awesomely Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awesomely Simple

John Spence
Apr 20, 2011 John Spence rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Small business owners
Recommended to John by: I wrote it!
Yes - I AM the author -- but here is the "somewhat" unbiased review I posted on my own book on Amazon... I hope you find this helpful.

I think this is a pretty good book. Not life-changing. Not revolutionary... but a good, solid book on the fundamental aspects of running a highly successful organization.

Here is the deal: I have worked as a business improvement consultant and executive trainer in more than 300 companies around the world - from tiny start-ups to Microsoft, GE, IBM. I have also rea
Tanner
Feb 27, 2010 Tanner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Is your business or organization becoming so complex that you are slowing down and becoming less innovative?

Then this book is for you.
Camilo Rodriguez
Dec 28, 2016 Camilo Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A very important book to read to anyone building a business.
Rusty Fulling
March-2010 - The author does a good job in breaking down SIMPLE strategies such as:

M/V/V - Mission - "Why we exist"
Vision - "Where we want to go"
Values - "How we will act along the way"

SMART Goals - Specific - "Detail exactly what you want to achieve" Measurable - "Goals must be quantifiable" Agreed on - "Everyone has to agree/buy in on the goals" Realistic - "Goals must be achievable, otherwise demoralizing" Timebound - "Specific date for achieving goals"

Conistent superior customer service
Michael
Dec 10, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
I really want to tell you to run out and get this book. I genuinely believe that it can have an amazing impact on your business. The concepts in this book and an intense focus on taking action off of them was amazing. The thing that wasn't... the authors voice. I did listen to this in Audiobook format, so that may have had an impact, but John Spence can't seem to help from mentioning himself and his experiences. The man is brilliant and the ideas warrant a healty ego, I just wish he had managed ...more
Cathy
May 30, 2015 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book! Easy to ready with ideas that truly can be turned into action, but don't necessarily cost a lot or take huge amounts of implementation time or structure.

I use it for a number of different ideas and places where I have worked. Re-read pieces regularly.
Bernie May
Oct 01, 2012 Bernie May rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
John Spence has an amazing faculty & discipline, plus years of actual business experience, which he uses to consume business books and distill them into six focused chapters. Good reading for business & other leaders anywhere.
Angelo
Mar 01, 2014 Angelo rated it it was amazing
Time and time again I found myself thinking "wait, this is something I can actually do!" and scribble a todo to myself. Very actionable, yet grounded. I liked it!
David Ulloa
Apr 15, 2016 David Ulloa rated it it was amazing
Anybody that plans to succeed in business needs to read this book by John Spence.
Lucy
Dec 19, 2012 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Excellent book...concise and to the point. First business book I've ever read where I didn't fall asleep in the first chapter...THIS book is a quick read but very imformative.
Jose Gonzalez
Nov 24, 2012 Jose Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
A book that every entrepreneur should read
CJC
Dec 12, 2015 CJC rated it it was amazing
all common sense but well said! Loved this book
Tim Giuliani
Oct 03, 2013 Tim Giuliani rated it it was amazing
A book that cuts through the noise and has the content to ground young business people or seasoned executives in the basics of running a company. Highly recommended.
Mark Bradley
Mark Bradley rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Lolobull
Lolobull rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Clay Moegenburg
Clay Moegenburg rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Anita Campbell
Anita Campbell rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2011
Cigno
Cigno rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Bill Hagaman
Bill Hagaman rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Melichichi
Melichichi rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
Jeffrey Xander
Jeffrey Xander rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2012
Brandon Sorensen
Brandon Sorensen rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
May 27, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2010
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Conrad
Conrad rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2011
Joyce B Dorval
Joyce B Dorval rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Bergen
Bergen rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Changing the Game: How Video Games Are Transforming the Future of Business
  • Unleashing the Killer App: Digital Strategies for Market Dominance
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • A Million Bucks by 30: How to Overcome a Crap Job, Stingy Parents, and a Useless Degree to Become a Millionaire Before (or After) Turning Thirty
  • The Millionaire Maker: Act, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • Execution Premium
  • Co-Opetition
  • To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christian Free Enterprise
  • The Entrepreneur Equation: Evaluating the Realities, Risks, and Rewards of Having Your Own Business
  • Why Popcorn Costs So Much at the Movies: And Other Pricing Puzzles
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)
  • The High-Beta Rich: How the Manic Wealthy Will Take Us to the Next Boom, Bubble, and Bust
  • Rich Like Them: My Door-to-Door Search for the Secrets of Wealth in America's Richest Neighborhoods
  • Stealing MySpace: The Battle to Control the Most Popular Website in America
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • The SPIN Selling Fieldbook: Practical Tools, Methods, Exercises, and Resources
Background on John Spence

"Making the very complex...awesomely simple” is no mere catch phrase, it is truly John Spence’s mission in life. Driven by an insatiable curiosity to understand the fundamental aspects of what it takes to achieve and sustain excellence in business and life, John Spence has earned a reputation as a leading authority in the areas of Strategic Thinking, High-Performance Teams
More about John Spence...