Start by marking “The Cleaners: Absent Bodies” as Want to Read:
The Cleaners: Absent Bodies

The Cleaners: Absent Bodies

2.96 of 5 stars 2.96  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In the dark tradition of Los Angeles noir, The Cleaners is the story of a ragtag team of for-hire trauma-scene cleaners led by ex-surgeon Robert Bellarmine. Contracted with sanitizing some of the nastiest crime and accident scenes in the tri-county LA basin, the team battles against what could only be described as the grim, unknowable face of the supernatural. But by focus ...more
129 pages
Published January 13th 2010 by Dark Horse (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Cleaners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cleaners

Mike
Wow, that was actually...disturbing. I found it hard to make sense of what was really going on in the deeper plot through most of this book - mostly it was just a bit chilling to see the awful things being done by the 'villain' juxtaposed next to the harsh reality of our 'heroes'.

I thought I was going to enjoy this more - get a hit of the usual smug superiority that most of the CSI-type shows give me when they show just how much smarter the police techs/science geeks are than the criminals. None
Alan
The rating might be a bit high, but I really enjoyed, and was slightly disturbed by this tale of crime scene cleaners. Former Dr. Robert Bellarmine seems to have some secrets in his past, as do his cleaner crew, and one of those secrets seems to be Bellarmine's search for something else besides the best and safest way to clean grisly crime scenes. A little horror is tossed into the story, and overall I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the story. I would probably read more.
Henry
A short graphic novella whose lead character heads a team specialising in the cleaning of the more gruesome trauma scenes within the LA area (bloody suicides, murders etc), as occurring in surburban lanes or hotel rooms, we see it all. Being a comic, of course they have to come across serial killing supernatural types to please the fanboy types. No complaints here so far.

Some genuinely creepy elements, from both the scientific information on how blood is the most toxic and most dispersive subst
Nevertaken
If there was more I'd definitely continue to read it, so that should say something. I really don't think I'd recommend it to anyone I know personally, as just a 120 page story though. The entire time I was reading it I wanted to know what would happen, so that's a definite plus. I knew nothing about it before, just gave it a shot based on the publisher and cover and overall I was pleased.
Brendan Howard
Does a good job of facts uncovered through plot rather than explication. Good, bloody noir.
Nomes
When is the next book coming out? Is there going to be a sequel???
Janelle Dazzlepants
Joseph
Robert Bellarmine, an ex-surgeon with a shady past, lives in the LA Basin and leads a skilled team of trauma-scene cleaners who are independently contracted. However, this is no ordinary crack team of cleaners…they have a knack for the supernatural side of things, and when signs start pointing to a supernatural force that may be responsible for a recent string of deaths and disappearances, Robert and his team must intervene and stop it if they can.

The Cleaners: Absent Bodies collects issues #1-4
Steven
Picked this up from the pile out of curiosity, started reading it, finished it in a sitting, so there's some good qualities to it. It's essentially a CSI style mystery, only with crime scene cleaners rather than a forensics team, and there's an unusual amount of sciency goodness thrown in along the way -- even though the central point of the main story is seemingly paranormal, while the short story that closes the book takes the premise of the Jordy Verill part of Creepshow and makes it seem alm ...more
Mark Desrosiers
A team of expert crime scene cleaners -- curiously identical in appearance -- have a knowledge about blood and its behavior that is rather beyond the normal medical trade. They seem very happy with their gruesome job too, until all hell breaks loose, resulting in a very thirsty kid. Among other things.

Rough going on first read -- especially with so many characters looking so similar (I'm guessing there's a reason for this) -- but very rewarding the second time around. Artist Rahsan Ekedal clearl
Sonic
Can I say 2 and a half? I mostly liked this,... I would probably pick up and read a vol. 2 (at the library) if it happens, and since alot went unexplained I suspect there will be a second one,... it started with a cool premise and then it went kind predictable , ... the art was mostly o.k., ...
Desiree
I must say that I really enjoyed the full-color artwork here! The story started out great and then got a bit weird... not sure if I even understand what happened! Guess I will have to wait for the next volume...

Definitely NOT just about cleaning u crime scenes.... mildly recommended...
J.
Interesting, dark story, but sort of hampered by the art--the blood and guts scenes were good, but the characters were a little hard to distinguish. Also, some plotlines were certainly left hanging, and as far as I know, there's no mention of a volume 2 to resolve them.
Nicole
Interesting enough to read the next, but the way some of the male characters were drawn so similar made for some confusion. Maybe that's what was supposed to be happening, but it was annoying. Other than that, it's a nice enough tale with a bit of horror.
Matt Piechocinski
Great premise, but Wheaton and Failkhov were trying to cram in all these extra subplots, which never really got explained. If they toned that down, this would have been pretty good instead of just fair.
Olivia
I am interested in seeing where the series goes in terms of the overall theme. The story has potential; and I'd like to think this particular book is a "filler" for exciting plot lines to come.
Wendy
Maybe every male character was supposed to look exactly alike... Maybe if I read it another three or four more times I'd get why things happened and who did them.

But I'm not.
Jonathan H.
Feb 06, 2012 Jonathan H. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jonathan H. by: Found at library
Shelves: comics
Found this one at the library. Creepy, something between sci-fi and fantasy, sort of like a CSI: Vampires. Pretty interesting story, but quite gruesome.
alana (eHawk) rivera
Pretty good, like the lingering around former crime scenes, but the additional jump into the supernatural.

Think the likes of Dexter or CSI meets X-files.
Anwar Vázquez
El título me llamó la atención pero la historia la van diluyendo hasta que lo interesante se vuelve tan simplón que simplemente uno ruega porque termine.
Jacobi
There was a neat germ of an idea in this trade, but ultimately it didn't work for me at all. The art was hard to follow, and the story was pretty choppy.
Dimitris
Very interested at first.. making you wanna see what's next, though I'd prefer a different ending.
Megan Leonard
Megan Leonard is currently reading it
May 09, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 19, 2015
stacey
stacey marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mark Wheaton is best known for his work as a screenwriter and producer on films like "Friday the 13th," "The Messengers," and the forthcoming "Voice from the Stone." Wheaton also writes comic books (including creating Dark Horse's "The Cleaners"), video games, and is the author of several self-published horror novellas and short stories including "Sunday Billy Sunday," "Flood Plains," and the "Bon ...more
More about Mark Wheaton...
Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga Sunday Billy Sunday The Impressionist Hellhound: A Bones Adventure Flood Plains