Start by marking “Magebound” as Want to Read:
Magebound

Magebound

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A slave since the age of eight, Lark has been brutalized and victimized. When he finds himself the property of Lord Naeven Sactaren, a mage as frightening as he is beautiful, Lark is thrown into a life of magic and quirky friends that force him to change in ways he never thought he could.

Inexplicably drawn to his master, Lark struggles against his own fears and desires as
Published August 1st 2009 by P.D. Publishing, Inc. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Magebound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magebound

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTraitor's Moon by Lynn FlewellingMagic's Price by Mercedes Lackey
Best Fantasy Books with Gay Main Characters
121st out of 489 books — 1,094 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneWicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
92nd out of 408 books — 729 voters

More lists with this book...

MLE
Feb 16, 2013 MLE rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
A really well developed fantasy story. The characters are complex, and interesting, and the plot might feel slow moving to some, but considering how deeply damaged the people involved are I think anything else would feel unnatural, or even abusive to me. If this becomes the love story I think it may it will take a very long time. It was nice to see the growth over the course of this story, and I really hope that someday she will write the sequels. Until then I'll keep reading the Broken Wings st ...more
Ayanna
Interesting/weird. Yes, it is an official classification now.

It's got all those psychological elements I like that kept sending chills down my spine, but it's spun in such a way that makes it...different, somehow.

There were parts that caused various songs from Les Mis to cycle through my head...

The character dynamics and interesting. Very fascinating, in fact. Naeven... He's an interesting study in paradoxes and has been thankfully blessed with the self-insight that ought to come with superior i
Bookwatcher
Important facts:
*Some questions were left unanswered. It was published in 2009, so it may have a sequel or not.. It would be a pity if nothing more will be published. The world is too good to be explored in just one book! Now (2014) it's just in paperback format, and that can be a problem (price is high, compaire with ebook, and of course ebook can be download immediately, while paperback you must find and buy, not an easy task)
*No sex scene, at all! If you want to read an erotic book forget it.
Elisa Rolle
Even if I know, from previous experiences with this same publisher, that usually their novels are pretty tamed, I really didn’t expect for Katica Locke’s book to be “almost” a Young Adult story.

It’s a fantasy novel, but that type of fantasy that I don’t mind, since it’s not too heavy in setting details and so, difficult to follow. On the contrary, Magebound is a quick novel, not very long and easy to read in one session.

Lark is a slave and he has no chance to be something else; he lost his hop
Pascal Schuppli
I came across this book by mistake. I thought it was a fantasy story about a relationship between two persons with a strong inbalance of power (along the lines of Mary Renaults "the Persian boy" or Carol Bergs Transformation) when in fact it seems to be gay erotica (seems to be because I didn't read all of it - I gave up about halfway through it, skipped to the last few pages and put it away, slightly disgusted).

So, maybe I was just the wrong audience for this kind of book (though I did enjoy Lu
Karin Wollina
I am usually not so fond of magical stories, but this book was a very happy surprise. I licked the protagonist very much, the interaqctions were believable. There are some things that are not quite clear for me, but that I think they will be clearer as the story arc devolves in the planned books. The first chapter of Spellbound (the 2nd book in the cycle, available on the website of the author) is really promising. I can`t wait for the next books
I am sure to buy all the books by this author (act
C.
Sep 12, 2014 C. rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
I rated this 2 stars, because the author doesn't classify it as young adult. If she had, I would have given it 3 stars. Maybe.

I've been waiting for this to be released in digital format for years, due to it's high rating, but I was extremely disappointed once I got my hands on it.

From the moment I started reading, something about the writing really put me off, but I couldn't figure out exactly what it was. It just didn't feel 'right.' Looking back, I think the problem was that it felt too juveni
Leanne
Good writing but this could have been tightened as it dragged it places and I skimmed from the halfway mark. I liked the fantasy elements but wanted more character development in some of the supporting characters.
A pleasant but instantly forgettable read.
Elizabetta
oooo this looks interesting...
Anka
Jaime
I purchased this book on a whim, as it was recommended to me by Amazon and in my quick pick list. It’s billed as a fantasy story, which is my favorite genre. It turned out to be a lovely gem that I enjoyed greatly. Though it is nowhere near the level of a true fantasy book like the Nightrunner series , it is more than just M/M romance with fantasy window-dressing. The author puts considerable effort into building her fantasy world with rich descriptions, and fine details that bring it to life.

La
Wendy Ann
Hmmm, a mysterious Master and skittish slave where the only rule that seems to hold true is “expect the unexpected”. The world building is great and compliments the air of magic and mystique surrounding Naeven. So does the fact that the story is told from Lark’s point of view. It’s nice to understand what’s going on in Lark’s head – he’s so conflicted because nothing is as it should be and he constantly wonders when the proverbial axe is going to fall. The attraction and sexual tension continue ...more
Laylah
I liked the world Locke was working toward here; I liked the magic system a lot -- "mage" generally leaves me expecting a lot of abstract, hand-waving-and-chanting sort of stuff, and this was much more about making physical things, which I like. The magical creatures were cool. And Lark's brittleness and damage make a lot of sense with his history.

On the other hand, the supporting cast was really one-dimensional, and the entire second half hinged on a misunderstanding plot -- one of those things
Jordan Lombard
The only thing that struck me as odd in this book was the swear words that were words I'd use here in the states. I'm not sure these same words would be used in a made up fantasy world. True, others were made up, but some weren't. And, there was a reference to Dr. Dolittle. I'm not sure any of the characters in this book should know who he is at all.

Aside from those things, I really enjoyed this book, and do plan on reading the next one in the series. I want to know what's up with the mage's wi
Aynaarah
This book is a thing of beauty, first half more than the second half of the book, childish story with mags and magic, but everything is so.. so fresh really, the world building, the perspective, so pleasantly surprising, the language is rich, the wording is .. playful, smart and funny and so very resourceful..

.. the author speaks about so many aspects of the world showing an intimate knowledge of them..

..the relationship development, though, I feel, fails - well, no lower that the average ones.
C
Saphirablue
Cat
I loved the setting of this-the world, the magic/science and so on. I didn't love the plot-too much in too little time. And I didn't love the anachronisms-this word shouldn't have characters referencing Dr. Dolittle, for instance, and just can't see our mage saying "huh?". It says something that I ended the book thinking I needed a sequel-so we could find out what happened to Khas.
Princhesata
If I had known that it was the first volume of an ongoing series, maybe I would not have been so bad in the end, where the story stops just at the climax.

I can not wait to read more!
Bz
Where can I find the other books in the Once a Slave series? (Magewise & Magebreak)
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Cw
Cw marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Kas
Kas marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Teal
Teal marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Niiyu
Niiyu marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Lexx99
Lexx99 marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Ghost Star Night (Sea of Stars, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Strange Fortune
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • The God Eaters
  • Hemovore
  • Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)
  • Bloodraven
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • Sacred Fate (Chronicles of Ylandre #1)
  • Mongrel (Mongrel, #1)
  • Fireflies
  • Servitude
  • Ghost (Wolf's-own, #1)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • The Fire's Stone
I learned at a young age that books were precious and that the written word was a powerful means of communication. Since I have social anxiety and find it hard to speak to people, writing has become my voice. I’m able to say what I really think and feel without the irrational worry that comes with speaking.

I grew up and still live in Oregon, in the beautiful Willamette Valley. I’m within walking d
More about Katica Locke...
Broken Wings Slave to the Crown Unspoken Breach The Vampire Next Door (Suburban Fantasy, #1)