Start by marking “Physics” as Want to Read:
Physics

Physics

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,327 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Rather than being a listing of actual theories or experimental observations on the science of physics, Aristotle's 'Physics' is more an exposition on the theory, methodology and philosophy of science. Central to the theme of the book is Aristotle's argument that the scientist must ready him or herself for a world in motion and change that is inevitable. Of interest to anyo ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Digireads.com (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Physics

Lotz
Of all the ancient thinkers that medieval Christians could have embraced, it always struck me as pretty remarkable that Aristotle was chosen. Of course, ‘chosen’ isn’t the right word; rather, it was something of a historical coincidence, since Aristotle’s works were available in Latin translation, while those of Plato were not.

Nonetheless, Aristotle strikes me as a particularly difficult thinker to build a monotheistic worldview around. There’s simply nothing mystical about him. His feet are pla
Lynne Williams
I read this at Cornell College, Iowa. The course was titled: Western Humanism. It counted for four credits, when other courses gave three. I asked my student adviser why. The course was worth four credits because it was more difficult than most. Color me intrigued! The professor permitted no one to take notes and was a master of the Socratic method of teaching. We began with Boethius and kept moving. Dr. Crossett did not permit 'Yes, but..." He also would choose a student at the end of the three ...more
Jeremy
Whew, this was one hell of a slough. While it's not strictly speaking a hard book to read, it deals with so many huge, uber-abstract ideas one after the other that it just leaves you exhausted. In some ways it feels more like a Compendium than a strict philosophical text. Aristotle examines every phenomenon that he can think of, Being, Space, Motion, Matter, Time, Infinity, Magnitude, etc. in an attempt to pin down and rationally account for how the universe as he understands it works. It's unre ...more
kaelan
First off, this is an exceedingly difficult text to get through. Although Aristotle is one of philosophy’s most brilliant minds, he is absolutely unquestionably wrong a lot of the time. What this means for the reader is that you have to be constantly critical—you can’t assume, for instance, that a particular argument is going to be valid or invalid... you actually have to get down to the logic of it and figure that s--t out.

To confuse matters further, Aristotle will often introduce an apparently
Yann
Il n'est pas toujours facile d'intéresser ses semblables à la lecture des auteurs antiques : ils souffrent souvent du préjugés d'être obscures, inutiles et dépassés. Ainsi, la Physique d'Aristote est franchement à déconseiller à qui voudrait les découvrir. Le style est particulièrement lourd, répétitif, et souvent abscons à force d'acribie. Le sujet est la nature, mais Aristote embrasse un périmètre un peu différent que celui que l'on entend de nos jours par "sciences physiques". En effet, pas d ...more
Briana
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

This was one of those books that made me think, "I don't understand this book. I don't want to understand this book. I don't need to understand this book. I hate this book. Why am I in college? Why do I read these things? OH LORD NOT ANOTHER 20 PAGES LET ME DIE NOW."

This book taught me how fundamentally immature I really am.

I like my time-space continuum discussion in sci-fi tv shows, not in philosophic definitions.
Antonette Serine
Infinity exists only in potential
Ryan Cutter
A great read if you're into the history of discovery. I find it enamoring that someone was able to put so much thought into such a multitude of problems. Covering some pretty abstract (although now simple) ideas and justifying them using simple mathematics is proof alone of Aristotle's eloquence. Tackling these problems using mostly language is the way of this great philosopher and is definitely shown in this dense coverage of the writers reality.
I read this mostly to see where the beginnings o
Gayane
Well, this was a drag. I thought the main obstacle in reading Physics would be the book itself, well, considering that it's more than 2000 years old. But nope, the translation was the main problem. I got the one from R.P. Hardie and R.K. Gaye, made in 1930, and man, I was suffering. The language would become simply unbearable at times and I would have to skip paragraphs, even pages. Please, anyone who have read this book, let me know how your experience with English translation was.

Then comes th
Kenneth
The Physics of Aristotle is surprisingly an interesting book. Significant issues that Aristotle addresses continue to lie outside the contemporary understanding of the material universe.

Contrasted with Greek metaphysics, ancient physics is often involved with the same subject matter from different angles. In particular, Aristotle applies the science of logic to important phenomenon including the nature of the Void, Time, Place, Motion, Magnitude, Number in addition to Infinitude.

The Aristotelia
Sawsan Alotaibi
ما قاله المترجم في هذه المقدمة : "
ويتبين من هذه الأمثلة أن كتاب السماع الطبيعي أو الفيزياء الذي نقلب صفحاته، يشكل البنية الذهنية لكل قارئ عربي بها تنظم المعلومات، ويتكون تصوره عن العالم: وهكذا يكون أرسطو لا يزال يستبطن ويلبس نمطاً من الفكر الإنساني طوال قرون كاملة، ويكمن في تصوراته الذهنية لا يستطيع الفكاك منها "
كافٍ جداً ليبين غرضي من قراءة هذا الكتاب.

وفعلاً لم يكن غريباً علي من ناحيتين:
1- علم الكلام
2- الفلسفة الإسلامية ومن تأثروا بالمشائية

فالفلسفة الكلامية المتأثرة بالمشائية تأخذ من مصطلحات
Brian Schiebout
Physics by Aristotle translated into English by R. P. Hardie and R. K. Gaye is a treatise on the basics of nature. Nature according to Aristotle in book two is the source or cause of being moved and of being at rest in that to which it belongs primarily. As such the book deals mostly with motion which is the principle on which all physics is based. While some might say that physics details the smallest of particles it is better and more accurate to refer to physics even today as the search for h ...more
Rob Roy
We’ve all been raised with Newtonian physics, but the ancient Greeks sought the answers and missed. The problem was not their problem solving, but rather they were asking the wrong questions. Based on their questions, they made excellent conclusions. Reading Aristotle gives us a view of their thought process and it is well worth learning.
JP
Forget the supreme A, Aristotle gets right into the genesis of A implies B. He dismisses the type of stuff upon which Kant made a living: "Some people even question whether they are real or not." If there's a one single whoa out of this, it's his succinct conclusion about the passing on of successful traits an entire era or two ahead of Darwin. The general topics for the remainder of the required selections in turn address the basis and definition of place, time (established by "before" and "aft ...more
Vikas Lather
After graduating this book I learn why there is a saying, "Without Aristotle's Physics there would have been no Galileo."

I don't consider this work of science but philosophy. There is hardly a sentence in this book that can be accepted by modern science. It is incredibly poetic to imagine that here is a free thinker in 350 B.C, trying to make sense of life, nature and existence in a period of human history, where not that we did not know, but there was no way for us to know.

I think it is a beau
Danielle
This was so boring. I only read this because of school and I probably would of enjoyed and appreciated this book a lot more if I was interested in Philosophy, ect.
I definitely enjoy Plato more than Aristotle. Plato still remains my favorite Philosopher!:)
Ronda
OK, once in awhile I do read something that has depth of thought to it. Once you are out of school you tend to get a bit squishy in taking on a tome like this.... but it was refreshing to see the applications explained. Aristotle is a bit more daunting than any instructor I have had, but realizing that you will appreciate the level of thought.

Not a night book by any measure, you need to stay fully engaged as you read, and yes - take some notes along the way. I actually had to call my engineer s
Cameron
A deeply thought-provoking and frequently exhausting series of lectures outlining the basic principles of nature and motion. It would be hard to understate the importance of this text in shaping the broadest contours of science and metaphysics. For Heidegger, the Physics determined the "warp and woof of the whole of Western thinking." But make no mistake - to get through this book and absorb the enormity of Aristotle's observations and insight is to accept the challenge of staying engaged at a v ...more
sara
astounding
this was a very difficult book to read because 1)the text was a bit too choppy and there was no transition from topic to topic...only sudden jumps. 2)the text was dry and i guess i was mislead by the title too...i thought this would be strictly a scientific examination of things but what i got instead was philosophy, "logic" and "dialectics"...
i had to get external help to understand the book better, including alfarabi's analysis...but it was worthwhile. what an amazing person aristotl
Abel Rudolf
The importance of physics to society today is most easily represented by our reliance on technology. Many of the technologies that that are continually transforming the world we live in can be directly traced back to important physics research.

One of our greatest physicists was Isaac Newton, and he considered himself a "natural philosopher". The name for physics used to be "natural philosophy". I'm not sure when it became "physics", but it was certainly within the last 200 years.

Abel
Jeremy Marlatt
Not by any means light reading... Decent if you can stay awake.
Rose
The nature of the text made it a little harder to read, I found, even though the structure Aristotle uses should make it much easier. Because it seems that much of Aristotle's work was just notes, and was never meant to be read by another person, it means parts of it are a little confusing.
treus
Most modern scientists think Aristotle's cosmology has been surpassed, but it is obvious to me that his qualitative physics are far more profound than the experiments of the empiricists. A philosophy student who is not familiar with the concepts here cannot be considered to be educated.
Maggie
Sep 29, 2008 Maggie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maggie by: Mr. Whitehead
I had no idea what was going on half the time. When I did understand though it was really good. Thank goodness my teacher explained it. Reading this was the only time I've ever fallen asleep with a book open, but I still kinda liked it for some reason.
Harry
Watching Aristotle trying to make sense of the world almost two and a half millennia ago is humbling because it reminds us that our evidence will always be incomplete, our models will always be approximations and we will always be asking the wrong questions.
Clint
What even my brain. I have basically accepted the fact that I do not know what infinity, eternal, void, being, coming to be, motion, and time even mean.
Jim Syler
A difficult-to-read, but highly scholarly translation of this important work. Hopefully other translations are better.
Marts  (Thinker)
A discourse on the principles of living and non-living things in particular movement/motion...
Rich Mcquaid
Sometimes translate "form" as "species",which is not incorrect, but did slow me down.
Shanamadele
No two things can occupy the same space at the same time.
  • Parmenides (Philosophical Library)
  • Ptolemy's Almagest
  • Euclid's Elements
  • The New Organon
  • Summa Theologica, 5 Vols
  • Elements of Chemistry
  • The Enneads
  • On The Revolutions of Heavenly Spheres
  • Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals/On a Supposed Right to Lie Because of Philanthropic Concerns
  • Philoctetes
  • Hippolytus
  • Conversations of Socrates
(Greece: Αριστοτέλης)
(Arabic: أرسطوطاليس)

Aristotle (384–322 B.C.E.) numbers among the greatest philosophers of all time. Judged solely in terms of his philosophical influence, only Plato is his peer: Aristotle's works shaped centuries of philosophy from Late Antiquity through the Renaissance, and even today continue to be studied with keen, non-antiquarian interest. A prodigious researcher and wri
More about Aristotle...
Politics The Nicomachean Ethics Metaphysics Poetics De Anima (On the Soul)

“Nobody will be afraid who believes nothing can happen to him.” 6 likes
“That which is in locomotion must arrive at the half-way stage before it arrives at the goal.” 4 likes