Start by marking “Natural Horse-Man-Ship: Six Keys to a Natural Horse-Human Relationship” as Want to Read:
Natural Horse-Man-Ship: Six Keys to a Natural Horse-Human Relationship

Natural Horse-Man-Ship: Six Keys to a Natural Horse-Human Relationship

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The horse- and rider-training handbook of an internationally renowned master horseman.
Published February 1st 2003 by Western Horseman (first published December 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Natural Horse-Man-Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Horse-Man-Ship

Michael Berkompas
Dec 03, 2015 Michael Berkompas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horsemanship
Once you get past his style of writing, this is a great book! If I ever have the opportunity to own a horse (hoping that I do), these principles ought to be of great help.

In the meantime, I'll be applying as much as I can to my riding lessons....
Stephanie
Aug 27, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Good information, but not particularly well-written, which makes it tough to digest sometimes.
Lotus
Mar 13, 2015 Lotus rated it it was ok
I really despise this man's style of writing so much and there seemed to be a lot about his rules, and how you SHOULD be working with your horse rather then teaching you HOW to work with your horse. I'll keep looking for some better books and am open to any recomendations any of you may have.
Kiana Bolognese
Sep 12, 2012 Kiana Bolognese rated it it was amazing
the six keys to a natral horse-human relationship by pat parelli is a amazing book if you want to teach you and your horse to have a natral relationship together and work together. i liked this book alot becouse it helped me be a better horse trainer and to have pacents with the horse or colt i was working with or in the futer. Pat parelli dos an awsome job explaning everything and showing how some things or games are done. if your a visoal leaner this book has picures and captions under them so ...more
Goele Lousbergh
Not necessarily a fan of the man and his marketing but his concepts: yes! And I love the oneliners: "if he's blinking, he's thinking; if he's not, he's hot", "never say never, don't always say always, usually say usually" and the one that adresses my personal biggest flaw: "it takes the time it takes so it takes less time. I've never seen it take more than two days."
Tanya
Jun 29, 2011 Tanya rated it really liked it
read this over and over, i have been studying natural for about 4 years and i just love to remember how Pat puts things - it makes me laugh sometimes but very insightful. im currently in the process of highlighting the parts most relevant to me (which is a lot), and my favourite of pat's sayings (:
Rosanna
Dec 30, 2013 Rosanna rated it it was amazing
Read this book to understand your role and responsibility to the horse. Read it also to understand the horse's viewpoint and natural state of behavior. This is an excellent book.
Tara Choate
Nov 03, 2013 Tara Choate rated it liked it
I believe I have read this book to before, but I don't have a clear memory of it. I love the methods more than I love the book. The pictures are good, but the explanations are a little foggy. I think this is one area where doing is much better than reading.
Natasha
Aug 29, 2012 Natasha rated it really liked it
Full of useful information, great resource to expand equine knowledge. I did however find that it was a bit repetitive, and could have used some more description, either in written or photo form, in some places.
But overall, wonderful. Thank you!
Eileen
Dec 30, 2011 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro to new ways of dealing with horses bout makes some assumptions. Was not all that helpful for my abused and terrified rescue pony only because he needed to be addressed on a far lower level than this book presented- Otherwise excellent.
Amanda
Apr 27, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: equine
There are some good tips in this book, but it's difficult to follow unless you've actually attended a Parelli event or watched some of the videos. I'm not a Parelli fan, but I did get a few good training ideas out of this book.
Ellen Wright
Oct 03, 2013 Ellen Wright rated it it was amazing
Parelli is frequently dismissed as being too simplistic. A string halter, a rope, and a stick that doesn't even have a proper lash. Yet time after time, horses respond to these simple tools and relationships bloom.
Robin
Oct 27, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to learn to be partners with their horse.
This is one of those books that I will always be currently reading. I plan to refer back to it often. I liked it a lot and it taught me many things.
C.J. Darlington
May 21, 2010 C.J. Darlington rated it really liked it
Very detailed and thorough. Had to read it slowly to grasp all the concepts, but they eventually did begin to gel.
Elizabeth
Nov 25, 2012 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
If you want to know more about 'natural horsemanship' go to Monty Roberts, Buck Brannaman or Mark Rashid NOT Parelli!
Ciara
Jan 31, 2008 Ciara rated it it was ok
Parelli is all talk. I didn't get a whole lot out of this book compared to many others I've read.
Grace
Jul 15, 2012 Grace rated it it was amazing
Excellent, most excellent. Helped and still helps me to train my horse.
Joanne Raffell
Joanne Raffell marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
fhiona hollins
fhiona hollins rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Alina Mosonyi
Alina Mosonyi is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Alicia Drewyor
Alicia Drewyor marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Lea Metcalfe
Lea Metcalfe rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Sangstersblood
Sangstersblood marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
bonnie smith
bonnie smith rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Jesse Haubert
Jesse Haubert is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2016
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Bess
Bess rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Valerie Andrews
Valerie Andrews rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Elysse Jinkens
Elysse Jinkens rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Riding Between the Worlds: Expanding Our Potential Through the Way of the Horse
  • The Complete Training of Horse and Rider in the Principles of Classical Horsemanship
  • Zen Mind, Zen Horse: The Science and Spirituality of Working with Horses
  • Dancing with Horses
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • Hunter Seat Equitation
  • Centered Riding
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • Horse, Follow Closely: Native American Horsemanship
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • The Nourishing Homestead: One Back-to-the-Land Family's Plan for Cultivating Soil, Skills, and Spirit
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse
  • From My Hands to Yours: Lessons from a Lifetime of Training Championship Horses
  • The Self-Sufficient Gardener