Start by marking “One Tiny Turtle with Audio, Peggable: Read, Listen & Wonder” as Want to Read:
One Tiny Turtle with Audio, Peggable: Read, Listen & Wonder

One Tiny Turtle with Audio, Peggable: Read, Listen & Wonder (Read and Wonder)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  59 reviews
This vibrant new book-and-CD series brings the best of our Read and Wonder nature stories to life.

Each paperback title in the series includes a CD that features:
- an engaging read-aloud with sound effects
- a segment focusing on fascinating facts
- a read-along opportunity gu
Paperback, with audio CD, 32 pages
Published March 24th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about One Tiny Turtle with Audio, Peggable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Tiny Turtle with Audio, Peggable

Text Summary
Just beneath the surface of the ocean, amongst the driftwood and weeds, if you look hard enough, you might just see a small creature swimming about. This creature is just a baby, her shell “soft as old leather,” and her little beak snapping onto tiny crabs and shrimps. What you have just come across is a Loggerhead turtle. Thus begins the young sea turtle’s journey to adulthood. While following the turtle on this journey, the reader watches as the turtle makes her way through the “si
Jul 10, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We love sea turtles and we were sad that we couldn't find this book at our local library. But they did have a VHS tape (ISBN 0976198177) of the book being narrated by Scott James Hybl. Described as a picture book on video, the pages of the book came alive as the video panned in and out to focus on different parts of the illustrations as the story progressed. And it almost seemed animated, although I'm sure it was just how the video company (Nutmeg Media) managed the transitions between the pages ...more
Davies has somehow taken a simple children's book, brimming with facts and details of the lifecycle of a loggerhead turtle, and turned it into an emotion filled, heart-tugging inspirational story.

Instead of a baby talk primer, this book inspires true literacy with verses like:

"Floating in the sea she weighs nothing, but on land she's heavier than a man. So every flipper step is a struggle, and her eyes stream with salty tears, which help keep them free of sand." WOW - What a beautiful way to con
Katie Farver
One Tiny Turtle portrays the life of a Loggerhead turtle beginning from the time that she is a baby, living amongst a mass of seaweed and driftwood out in the middle of the ocean, until the time that she returns to the beach where she was born to lay eggs of her very own. The audience will love to discover how the turtle grows and changes throughout the book and will be excited to learn about the secret life of Loggerhead turtles.

This book does an excellent job of providing details about the oc
Mary Ledom
This book was very informative and could be used in a classroom setting to talk about a life cycle. The book walks you through the life of a turtle from when they are born to when they have their very own baby turtles. It explains the danger that baby turtles have to face before they have their hard shells and unfortunately, not many baby turtles make it to the ocean. This book could also help with learning about endangered species and the importance of taking care of the environment any way pos ...more
Jul 28, 2011 Cassie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: turtle lovers
This book tells the story of a loggerhead turtle. Starting with a young turtle in the sea through adulthood, this book will fascinate children who want to know the truth about how turtles live. Features lovely illustrations.

Younger children might find the ending a little upsetting when some of the babies are caught by predators.
Paige Freeman
I totally adored this book! Not only does this story tell the amazing story of the sea turtle life cycle, but the illustrations immediately make you fall in love with turtles! The illustrations have a very life-life feel to them and it helps to add to the nonfiction nature of the text. The text is written as if it is telling the story of one little turtle's life in a very realistic format that compliments the illustrations very well. I would highly recommend this book to others and would use it ...more
Sherri Anderson

This informational picture book tells the life story of a sea turtle named Loggerhead. The overall theme is the life cycle of sea turtles and the impact of people on sea turtles’ habitat. This colorfully illustrated book is written in a varied format that combines a progressive narrative of the life of a sea turtle along with small but correlating informational vignettes. Each two-page spread is visually cohesive with text placed in balanced proportions against a fully-illustrated background. Th
Kaylee Warzecha
This book talks about the lifespan of a turtle. How when they first hatch turtles are very vulnerable and have to wait several years before they are strong enough to go out into the big ocean. Once they are fully grown turtles will go back to the same beach that they hatched from and lay their own eggs. Female turtles might lay as many as 7-10 nests each time. This book had a simple way of telling how turtles live and yet was very informative. (nonfiction)
This is a great book which tells the life cycle of a Loggerhead turtle. It is very detailed and has great illustrations to go along with the text. This would be great to use in a classroom because it has a great deal of information on turtles and it is easy to read and understand for children.
Derrick Schneider
Great artwork, and lots of good turtle facts. There's a bit of a discord between the story of the one turtle and the scientific asides, but nothing too serious. Be warned that there's "nature in tooth and claw" in this book, but of course that's just the reality of turtle lives.
One Tiny Turtle is a Non Fiction book about Sea turtles. It's a very informative book, so I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. The theme is the life of sea turtles. The book is about the life of sea turtles and information about them. It's best suited to me to 2nd graders.
Tishandra Mayfield
1. All turtles are reptiles.

2. There are several species of turtles.

3. A turtle's shell is as soft as leather when they are babies. The shell gets harder and harder as she gets older.

This book could be used to help students understand how tiny turtles grow into adults.
This book follows a loggerhead sea turtle from a hatchling until she lays eggs. Very engaging text filled with facts. Great mentor text for writing.
Mary Peplinski
An endearing look into the sea turtle's lifecycle. I read this to a four-year-old, who immediately wanted to read it again.
This nonfiction selection illustrates the journey of a young turtle out at sea and the voyage she must make in order to get to shore and lay her eggs. The book, while lively and fun thanks to the articulate text and expressive illustrations, is able to hold focus on the ways turtles survive and flourish, allowing this story to be a wonderful bridge if one is trying to get a child to read more nonfiction selections versus fiction. A good choice for children as young as three, the story also allow ...more
A gentle narrative about loggerhead turtles. My husband and littlest one liked it.
Wonderfully written and illustrated. Great information, written as prose. Kids love it!
This book showed the life of a loggerhead turtle. A great book for those who love to learn about animals and for turtle lovers.
Cordellya Smith
This book is excellent because it both entertains and teaches children.
Dania Arissa
Saya dah banyak kali baca buku ini. Saya tak ingat berapa kali.
Having recently seen a baby loggerhead on the beach this was a delightful book for me. I learned that they come ashore at night because of the effect the heat of day would have on them and also that the female turtle could possibly make as many as four to ten nests. However, from the "Turtle Talk" at the beach the new info is saying that the theory of the turtle returning to where it was born is probably false. Illustrations are good, but I wanted more info on the actual hatching or "boil" and t ...more
Allison Ford
This book tells the story of a loggerhead turtle. It starts out with a young turtle in the sea, and it follows it through adulthood. I think it’s good for children who love animals or want to know about how turtles live. Features a lot of really great illustrations. Although younger children might find the ending a little upsetting or scary when some of the babies are caught by predators. I think that Nicola Davies did a great job with the book overall.

Janet Chen
I saw my teacher use this book to implement a writing and research lesson on turtles. This book was so interesting and I could tell it definitely grasps the student's attention. A good thing to do with this book is to also have some white ping pong balls set aside and it helps as a visual to show the students what the eggs look like that they are talking about. It is also a connection for them to make while reading the story.
Lauren Ritcey
Genre: Nonfiction
Awards: None
Grade: K-2
Comments: I would read this aloud to my classroom, and for a small art activity I would have the class do an art project on turtles. They can pick any development stage from the book, and they would have to draw the turtle and the habitat it lives in during the time. I would hang all the pictures up on the wall for the students to look at and admire their work.
This beautifully illustrated book follows a Loggerhead turtle from just-born through the first thirty years of her life. We learn about her journeys to find food, her ability to return to the beach where she was born, the steps she takes to lay her eggs, and the dangers that face her newly hatched babies. Watercolor illustrations suffused with dappled light draw children into this nonfiction story.
Amanda Rogers
Perfect compliment to my son's Apologia Swimming with Creatures text book. This sweet story has a ton of facts woven into it. I especially appreciate how the author handles the dramatic newborn turtles run to the ocean from predators with grace and dignity without mishandling it or misleading children into thinking it is easy and safe or even unfair.
What in incredible journey in the life of a turtle! I really felt like I was a part of the story with the way the author wrote his text. It was so fascinating all the places the turtle swam, and then to find out at the end of her journey, she begins the whole life cycle again by laying her own eggs. --Children's Picture Book (nonfiction).
Alexandra Sinkus
1. Nonfiction
2. None
3. K-2
4. This book is great to read when learning about turtles. It's accurate and easy for the kids to pay attention to. The ultimate activity would be to go watch turtles going to the sea but if that can happen, have students make their own Loggerhead turtle out of scraps of paper.
Deborah Harris
  • The Reason for a Flower
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • Amos & Boris
  • Over and Under the Snow
  • Honey... Honey... Lion!
  • Cactus Hotel
  • Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11
  • This Is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • Rocks in His Head
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie ...more
More about Nicola Davies...

Read and Wonder (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • A Field Full of Horses: Read and Wonder
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Big Blue Whale: Read and Wonder
  • Chameleons Are Cool: Read and Wonder
  • Dolphin Baby!
  • Gentle Giant Octopus: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • Jody's Beans