Northlanders, Vol. 3: Blood in the Snow

Northlanders, Vol. 3: Blood in the Snow (Northlanders #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  979 ratings  ·  56 reviews
This volume collects all of the NORTHLANDERS short stories (issues 9, 10, 17, 18, 19 and 20). Exploring everything from the art of Viking single combat, to the role of women in the Viking world, this volume also includes the return of the original Northlanders artist Davide Gianfelice to illustrate a coda to Volume 1.
Published March 30th 2010 by Vertigo

Sam Quixote
"Northlanders" is a series of Viking stories set in the latter half of the first millennia AD. The series is different from other Vertigo series as it doesn't feature a single "quest" like storyline and a central cast of characters. Rather, writer Brian Wood chooses to write either book length stories per character/storyline or, like in "Blood in the Snow", a series of short stories. Because of this it makes the series more accessible as if you pick up this book (third in the series) or the four...more
Paul
Collecting NORTHLANDERS #9,10, 17-20! This collection explores everything from the art of Viking single combat to the role of children and women in the Viking world.

For the most part, I consider Northlanders to be a highly unique series; it’s a grim, realistic, historical drama, about the clash of Norsemen and Saxons, back in the legendary Viking era. I’m not sure everyone is likely to enjoy it (due to its grimness and lack of superheroes of any kind), but I personally find it extremely refreshi...more
Gavin
Vols 1 & 2 were both following 1 character entirely, however, this volume shifts, and we get a number of smaller (2 issue) stories. I kind of like the change of pace here. First, in "Lindisfarne", we read about a young Saxon boy and his cruel 'Christian' father, and a Viking invasion of the titular town/monastery. It's interesting that we get perspectives on the invading force as a force of salvation and not destruction, as we follow Edwin's path.

"Viking Art of Single Combat" is a methodical...more
Mike
Visceral, illustrative, vivid writing. Which makes up for anything the "whizz"y art may miss out on. These stories somehow feel tighter, more direct and immediate than the longer tales of books 1 & 2, and stand on their own as great works.
Darren
This is a collection of shorter tales. The one I liked best was The Shield Maidens. Also enjoyed Sven the Immortal, though it's a weird one. Why seven young men would attack Sven for his pile of unfarmable rocks is beyond me.
Electric Funeral
Vikings done right. Brutal, relentless, bloody, inventive. Besides you will learn a lot about the history of the fabled norsemen (and woman). I love the whole series but this collection of short stories is really outstanding.
Renfield
-4 historias independientes:

1.Niño que vive en un monasterio cristiano es maltratado por su padre y ruega porque vengan los dioses antiguos y lo saquen de su miseria ( buena historia, pero normalita...)

2.Combate uno contra uno, en estilo vikingo,reglas,nomas,ventajas,desventajas, y sangre, mucha sangre.( dibujo brutal de Vasilis Lolos,con sangre, dinamismo )

3.3 mujere escapan de saxones que quieren violarlas,asesinarlas y torturarlas, sin importa el orden,mientras hablan sobre el estilo de vida...more
Andrew
The rare anthology in which each story is fantastic. It is worth the cover price for Shield Maidens alone.
Matt
Jan 21, 2013 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Holy crap best NL volume yet!! I had no idea I'd dig a Viking comic so much.
Rosa
This volume consists of a couple of different shorter stories. The first about a young boy who feels more tied to his dead mother's viking heritage then his living fathers' new Christianity. When the vikings come the child sides with the vikings and grows to become one of them, even though they will always see him as outsiders. This story had me trying to figure out who is really practicing a betrayal here, and I thought it was kind of amazing.
The second story is more of an in depth view of hand...more
Alex Telander
In the third volume of the fascinating Northlanders series, Brian Wood takes readers on new adventures into the world and history of the Vikings. What makes Northlanders such an interesting and original series are Wood’s storylines, beginning in the first volume with Sven, but then taking readers on different tangents and facets of the Vikings. The series is like a full history course on the Vikings, all told through the medium of the graphic novel.

In Blood in the Snow, Wood begins with the mona...more
David´82
Tentokrát to Wood pojal "povídkově" a tak jsou zde čtyři samostatné příběhy a o každém z nich platí "dobré, ale...". V dvoudílném Lindisfarne se nevšedníma očima podíváme na historickou událost, která započala období vikingů. Škoda, že to není rozpracovanější a nedostane se to ze škatulky "krvavé holomajzny". The Viking Art Of Single Combat má vynikající nápad, zajímavé informace i duelovou atmosféru v nehostinné krajině, ale je to zruinované odpudivou kresbou, kdy mnohdy není možné ani rozpozna...more
Meran
Though I'm reading these graphic novels out of order, the stories are mostly standalone and work just fine as they are. The exception is that a story in this third volume has a later in the life of story about the character in the first volume...

Lindisfarne tells of an abused young boy and the life he chooses, siding with the Viking invaders.

The Viking Art of Single Combat is an interesting dichotomy, with the dry narration of a violent single combat competition between two feuding Viking clans....more
Subroto
This collection of stories is half baked (my opinion only)

The Return of Sven - really we could have done well without. Someone who Brian builds so well in the first series of the Northlanders is brought back for just another average story. Why ?

The rules of the Viking Battle - mindless - and terribly boring. Very Wannabe intellectual - i raced through the pages to finish this one.

The story about the boy - perhaps the best of this volume. If left alone I would have rated it 4.

The story about the...more
Evelyn
This series just keeps getting better and better...I absolutely loved the story about the shield maidens and was pretty relieved that they all came out unscathed. I understand that at this time women were treated horribly and had no rights, so it was really awesome seeing a story about these three awesome, badass women fighting! And also that it was believable. I loved the scene when one of the women arises from the sea and the men pray at her feet thinking she is some kind of sea goddess, and t...more
James
Takes the Sandman route of offering a volume of dense, interesting short stories rather than continually offering extended tales. It's laudable that Wood has chosen to write a series that relies on creating new characters for every storyline, and indeed, it's a major draw for it. However, there is also great satisfaction when he brings back Sven from the first volume in a tale set twenty years later.

The artist changes from story to story in this series, and this is particularly true of this volu...more
Warnie B.
I was hesitant about reading this one since I didn't much care for volume 2, but I liked the first one a lot, so I figured I should at least give it a chance. And I think this one falls right in between the two for me. This one consists of four different short stories, including one about Sven. They're all very violent (vikings, duh), but the art is good, and I found three of the four stories really interesting (The one about the duel or whatever? Blah). I'll read volume four at some point. Mayb...more
Michael Alexander Henke
Volume 3 of Northlanders is composed of a few short stories as opposed to one big narrative. Each of them is quite god with the standout for me being the "Shield Maidens". It's a story of 3 Danish women who escape their village that is being ransacked by vikings. They then need to stand up to the 50 men chasing them.
"Sven the Returned", another story, takes us back to the first story arc from Volume 1. 40 or so years later Sven is an old man living with his family. His legend has grown so much t...more
Karol
I"m always iffy on the trades that collect short stories from the world a graphic novel's production team is trying to create. Alone, each one is a fun break from the overarching story. Together, they just feel like a stopgap measure before I can get back to whatever sweeping narrative I'm in the middle of.

With Northlanders, itself a collection of shorter stories (some just one issue, others several), I don't feel that way at all. Its approach to the topic is such that I'm able to savor everyth...more
Martin
Brian Wood keeps giving us excellent stories, but the art in this volume is uneven - no surprise there: 4 different artists worked on it.
What ultimately "saves" the book's rating is Wood's writing.

What I like in general about the art in the Northlanders books is that the colour palette and the [usually] gritty art are perfect for the mood of the series. The weakest link in this particular volume is the second story, not coincidentally it's the one with the art issues.
tartaruga fechada
Sardonyx
A few of the stories in this one were rather haunting. Loved the Shield Maiden one. And great art by Leandro Fernandez and whoever did the colouring!
arjuna
Highly enjoyable - I really, really liked *all* the stories here and overall the collection is just as engaging as the first volume (and very much more so than the second). Beautiful moody artwork throughout - the stories are all very appealing to someone who grew up loving the writing of Henry Treece. Intelligent, intriguing, involving. More please!

Christopher Obert
A “BookCrossing” book that I found “In the Wild.” This graphic novel is a collection of four Viking short stories. The art is well done and the stories well written. A nice book that I would have liked to add to my collection, but like the Vikings, this Traveling Book needs to be free… I guess I’ll have to buy my own copy!
Sonic
Hated parts of it, and loved parts of it.

The writing feels disingenuous to me for some reason. It feels like the stories comes not from experience but from a viking history book, probably the one by Robert Ferguson. I dunno.

Maybe I just have a hard time with this writer.

The art was pretty nice!
ᛋᚳᚩᛏᛏ
Wow, I just spent the last 30 minutes writing a lengthy review of this only to misclick from WMP somehow. Fantastic.

In short then:First story gets 3.5 axes out of 5, second story gets 2 out of 5, third story gets 5 axes out of five, and the fourth story gets 3 axes out of five.
Donald
Northlanders continues to deliver. This is a collection of shorter story arcs, the highlights being Shield Maidens and the new Sven story.

The series is still brutal, brutal, brutal. But hey, we're dealing with Vikings right? Not exactly the most peaceful guys going...
Sara
Northlanders was very different (both in art style and subject matter) than most graphic novels I read, but I really liked it. If I knew enough about Norse sagas and mythology to properly appreciate it, it would have gotten 4 stars not 3.
Brad
This volume, a collection of good short stories, is better than I remember the first two volumes. There's a lot of interesting family relationships as well as commentary on religion, gender, and culture clashes among them vikings.
Jamil
I'd been anticipating this volume because of what I'd heard about "The Viking Art Of Single Combat”, but the Ormston illustrated “Lindisfarne” & Zezelj illustrated “The Shield Maidens” stories were actually the high points.
  • Scalped, Volume 6: The Gnawing
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 7: Samurai
  • The Boys, Volume 6: The Self-Preservation Society
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock
  • Criminal, Vol. 5: The Sinners
  • American Vampire, Vol. 2
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 13: 1947 (B.P.R.D., #13)
  • Conan, Vol. 3: The Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 4
DMZ, Vol. 1: On the Ground DMZ, Vol. 2: Body of a Journalist DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works Northlanders Vol. 1: Sven the Returned