Start by marking “Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School” as Want to Read:
Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School

Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School (The Ellie McDoodle Diaries #2)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  733 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
When Ellie's family moves to a new town, she's sure she won't fit in. Nobody else likes to read as much as she does, and even the teachers can't get her name right. But when the students need someone to help them rally against unfair lunch lines, it's Ellie to the rescue—and if shorter lines and better food prevail, can friendship be far behind?
Published July 7th 2009 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published June 24th 2008)

Cameron
Jun 22, 2011 Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realistic
ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...more
Boni
Aug 04, 2008 Boni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-mg
I liked this one even better than the first book. I almost think the two books should have been reversed- we needed to get to know Ellie in a familiar-to-everyone setting (I think everyone has been new somewhere at sometime) before we saw her in a new-to-her setting (being away from your immediate family with relatives) with which not everyone may be familiar. In any case that doesn't matter- now that this one is out, I'll just recommend people read this one first, then the first one second. Ha- ...more
Charlyn
Jul 29, 2009 Charlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gr. 3 and up
Because I enjoyed the first book about Ellie, Have Pen, Will Travel, I was looking forward to reading this book and I wasn't disappointed. Barshaw continues to maintain Ellie's point of view in both the narrative and the pictures which make up Ellie's journal. In this book, Ellie is having a very hard time because her family is moving into a house she hates, into a room she doesn't want to share with her sister, and she's going to be beginning a new school in a new grade. And the beginning of sc ...more
Rebecca
Sep 28, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th grade and up
How fun! A comic book/diary with a girl protagonist, a la Amelia by Marissa Moss. Obviously this one will be compared to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and would surely appeal to the same type of reader. It's not quite as slapstick as Wimpy Kid (though the practical jokes Ellie's family plays on each other are pretty dang funny) -- it's got more real angst about moving, making friends, and staying true to yourself than Greg does. I've never had to move and start at a new school myself, but I sure felt Ell ...more
Betsy
Aug 24, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that the whole girl-who-draws story idea isn't necessarily new. I mean, before Ruth McNally Barshaw wrote Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel there were books out there like Amelia's Notebook and the like. But is it just me or has the whole doodling girl idea gotten crazy popular recently? This year alone I've seen Katie Davis and her comic-centered The Curse of Addy McMahon and Margie Palatini's Geek Chic: The Zoey Zone. Girls with pens are in, my friend. So it is that we welcome b ...more
Luann
This has been on my to-read list since 2008. I enjoyed the first one a lot (Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel), but never got around to reading any of the others. I'm glad I finally did! It was fun being back in Ellie's world as she adjusts to moving to a new town and being the "new kid" at school. I love that her first new friend in town was the librarian at the public library! I'll definitely get to the next two Ellie McDoodle books this year.
Colby Sharp
Jul 06, 2011 Colby Sharp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year Rush Barshaw came to our school and I had a bit of a bad attitude about it. I was getting very sick of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, and felt like she was probably just taking advantage of his glory.

After reading New Kid in School, I admit that I was very incorrect in my assumptions of Ellie McDoodle. Ellie is a super cool character that I think young students will instantly gravitate towards. She deals with real kid issues and I love the way the doodles compliment the writing.

Grea
Ashley Polansky
Title: Ellie McDoodle New Kid in School
Author: Ruth McNally Barshaw
Illustrator: Ruth McNally Barshaw
Genre: Contemporary (realistic) Fiction
Theme(s): Moving, bullying, family, relationships, school
Opening line/sentence: Seriously. This is the end. I’m doing this new journal to keep track of my family’s move to a new house (new city, new schools, new everything).
Brief Book Summary: This book is about a young girl, named Ellie, who moves to a new school. If moving isn’t hard enough in itself, she
Rebecca Hicks
Ellie McDoodle:New Kid In School by Ruth Barshaw is about Ellie McDougal(AKA Ellie McDoodle because she always doodles) and her family moving to a new house, new school, new everything. She isn't happy about it. She has to move away from all of her friends and childhood memories. In this new town, she has so little friends(for now). Her life turns upside down. She has to share her room with her only sister and her siblings(especially her older brother). Soon after she moves in, she starts meetin ...more
Margaret
Apr 29, 2011 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: level-elementary
4/29/11 ** Twelve of my 25 fourth graders read the requisite 5 books needed to vote in the Young Hoosiers Book Award Contest; four of them chose this as the best book. After reading it for myself, I have to agree that it's worth an award. The poignancy of moving, the joy of finding friends who share your interests, and the passion of a non-violent protest all contribute to a fast-paced, enjoyable middle-grades chapter book.

Ellie (not Ella or Eleanor!) is new in town. She finds refuge first in t
Sep 29, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie McDoodle is a hit with my fourth grade girls and I have to admit that I'm the librarian that recommends the book without having read it. So when New Kid in School arrived with my latest book order, I made sure to snag it and give it a go.

And it's easy to see why my girls gobble this up. Like Wimpy Kid, Ellie's illustrations and doodles make this for a fun, fast read. Ellie is a sweet worrier and in this installment, her family moves to a new town. She meets a wonderful librarian, ends up w
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marie Robinson for TeensReadToo.com

Ellie McDougal is the new kid in school. She had to leave her happy life behind when her family moved to a new town, and she is sure that her new home cannot possibly measure up. Little by little she begins to adjust, first by settling in at home with her new room, and then by spending time at the local library, where she finds books comforting and familiar.

She is especially nervous about fitting in at school. The other kids tease her, and no one c
Becky
Nov 08, 2008 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barshaw, Ruth McNally. 2008. Ellie McDoodle: New Kid In School.

I enjoyed this one. I think I enjoyed it even more than the first Ellie McDoodle adventure. In the second book, our little heroine, Ellie, is getting ready to move. And she is not happy one little bit. New home. New neighborhood. New school. Here's how the book begins,

The End.
Seriously. This is the end. I'm doing this new journal to keep track of my family's move to a new house (new city, new schools, new everything.) There won't b
Katie Lawrence
Aug 07, 2015 Katie Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buy-for-west
I loved this book! Ellie is so relatable and funny. Her wacky family reminded me of my own (we've even hid things in each other's rooms like the McDougals do with the Mrs Claus statue!) I'm always a fan of the diary/graphic novel hybrid and Barshaw does a great job using that style to tell Ellie's story. The inclusion of backyard game rules as well as doodling tips were really nice touches. Definitely buying for my library!
Beckyt
Apr 01, 2016 Beckyt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. It will appeal to kids on many levels. Ellie's voice expresses in a safe way how hard it is to leave one home and school, move to another, and try to make friends. Ellie does the friend-making in several different ways, which should be encouraging for new kids who are slow to warm. And it's got art-making! Yay!
Mary
Cute book about a girl adjusting to a new house and a new school. Funny, quick-read (journal cartoons on each page), so this would be a good recommendation for reluctant readers. At the same time, this is a good general (light and upbeat) story about friendship. Ideal for mid- to upper-elementary grades.
Addison Children
Feb 10, 2014 Addison Children rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
This is Diary of a Wimpy Kid for Girls. We are reading Ellie's journal, filled with her illustrations, as she transitions with her family to a new house, new school, new friends. She is not very happy about it, but it turns out okay at the end. 188 pages, but 50% of each is illustrations and cartoons.
Anya
Apr 21, 2016 Anya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 07, 2016 Carterkempgmail.Com rated it liked it
This was fine but nothing special. A kid adjusts to her life in a new school. The many, many illustrations drops the word count well below what you'd otherwise expect from a 200 pp. novel.
Gabriel
Jun 26, 2015 Gabriel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it looks like it all got covered with normal pen. I like Ellie's doodles a and the expressions and speech bubbles also. If you were moving you would like this book because Ellie is moving to a new house and school.
Oliver
Jun 26, 2015 Oliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You should read this book because Ellie thought that she would not have a good time but she did!
hannah akers
I can't remember much about this book. Hopefully I liked it, so 3 stars.
Gina
Finished 4/26/16
Chandhini
Jan 20, 2016 Chandhini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book
Pam
Feb 20, 2016 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! If you have a young female reader who enjoys _fun_ books, this one is perfect. Ellie is part of a large, creative family that is new to town. Although it seems like standard kid fare of being new in school, Barshaw is so creative with her drawings and Ellie's voice that you are engaged and drawn into Ellie's world. Using the genre-bending style that kids adore (think Diary of A Wimpy Kid), the book is accessible and interesting and pitch perfect for the tween set.
Jennifer Danko
Jun 11, 2010 Jennifer Danko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Ellie McDoodle is an easy to read chapter book. Instead of forcing children to read a standard chapter book, Barshaw has created a book that takes shape in the form of a journal. Ellie’s thoughts are written down on every page with a doodle that corresponds with her thoughts. This form of chapter book makes for a great transition from picture books to chapter books. Second and third grades will enjoy this book for years to come. Not only is Ellie relatable, she’s likeable as well.
Madeline
Nov 05, 2012 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Ellie Mcdoodle books are really fun, written in sketchbook/diary style. I'm used to reading more serious historical fiction, which I really enjoy, but I love a funny, light hearted contemporary book to space between them, even if they are a little young for my age. This one is my favorite in the series, and at almost 200 easy sketch-filled pages, is a great book to curl up with on a rainy day. This series is cute and fun to read, with a nice and relatable storyline.
Erin
Nov 04, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part sketchbook, part story. When Ellie McDoodle is forced to move to a new town, she knows she's going to hate everything about it. Her sketchbook is filled with the trials and triumphs of advocating for her own room, dealing with her wacky family, and most of all, trying to fit in at a new school. Reading this made me remember the moves my family made when I was a kid - I can totally relate to Ellie's attitude!
Katherine
Dec 06, 2008 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Ellie is an empathetic character - I have never moved to a new school, but I've been in new situations and I think Ellie's reactions and responses to being the new girl are right on. Also humorous and adventurous -- drawing the backs of people's heads as a way to learn their names, playing great games with new neighbors.

This is a sketch book -- and the sketches remind me of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
  • Over My Dead Body (43 Old Cemetery Road, #2)
  • Fartiste
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano: But She Does Love Being in Recitals (Moxy Maxwell, #3)
  • Bird
  • What Happened on Fox Street
  • Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus ...
  • Lucky Breaks (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #2)
  • Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing)
  • Sweet Dream Pie
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles
  • Pete & Pickles
  • The Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale
  • A Book
  • Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff

The Ellie McDoodle Diaries (6 books)
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel