Start by marking “Why a Curveball Curves: The Incredible Science of Sports” as Want to Read:
Why a Curveball Curves: The Incredible Science of Sports

Why a Curveball Curves: The Incredible Science of Sports

Sports. They get our blood pumping and our hearts racing. Fans scream and cheer as their favorite athletes run, throw, pedal, dive, or swing their way to victory. But what makes an athlete successful? Why do some players excel when others fall behind?

In Why a Curveball Curves, the experts at Popular Mechanics, along with top athletes, coaches, and sports journalists, explo
Published August 4th 2009 by Hearst (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Why a Curveball Curves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why a Curveball Curves

charlotte
it actually contained very little science :( and also i wasnt all that interested in all the sports (like who gives a shit about bowling and golf???)
Jace Barker
Sep 28, 2015 Jace Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever wondered how Mike Tyson knocked out so many people with such ease, or why Mariano Rivera is so dominate on the pitcher's mound? There are many amazing plays in the sports world and believe it or not, there is some science behind them. This book will take you into deep detail on many things that leave sports watchers in aw. Not only does it focus on the mainstream sports, it takes the reader into bowling, cycling, golf, hockey, skiing, swimming, and diving. It's a book that can reac ...more
Robert
Sep 13, 2015 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I would only recommend to people who like sports and want to understand the science behind curving a ball in many sports. I was surprised at how a curveball relates to so many sports (golf, diving, baseball, basketball, and tennis to name a few). The author uses famous athletes and critiques how they were so successful with the curveball in their sport. This was a book with a lot of information and does a good job of scientifically breaking down the curveball.
Alex
Jun 03, 2009 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not very good. I love science and sports. I plat sports, I watch sports, I have degrees in the sciences, and I've studied biomechanics. I've also taken a class on materials science and sports. So while I thought I would be the perfect audience for this book, maybe I was overqualified for its content.

I don't think that's the case, though. Rather, I could have learned something but the physics was often so poorly explained, or not sufficiently explained, that I gained little that I didn't already
Martin
Another smart gift from my wife, who keeps surprising me with books I like to read that AREN'T on my Amazon Wish List. :-) The book was fun for me because I like sports and science. Two great tastes thrown together. The book was a bit uneven though, getting into the nitty-gritty in some sports while just glancing over others. Everyone should have gotten a fair shake. Still, I enjoyed very much.
Elizabeth S
Oct 23, 2009 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-science, z-2011, c-adult
Basically, this contains a bunch of Popular Mechanics articles, or articles like them. But they all center around the theme of sports. Various articles analyze why rotating the football makes it fly more efficiently, the science of training for a marathon, and uses physics to determine if a rising fastball really rises.
J
Mar 21, 2015 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something not to dense with explanation. Chapters were easy to consume bite size chapters. Explained a lot I wanted to know. Like why throwing a bowling strike is a holy grail quest for me. It also helped me understand why certain pitches did what thy did. I like sports many sports and this got me to take notice of soccer. Even liked the chapters on knockouts by boxers.
Jack
Sep 20, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. It was very descriptive about the science behind a curveball and how baseball is turning into more of a hitters game than it is of a pitchers game. It tells you abput a lot of other sports in the book also. I reccomend this book to people who like sports.
Steve
Oct 23, 2008 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It should have been called "Why am I glad I just borrowed this book from the library instead of shelling out 18 bucks"
Marsha
May 22, 2011 Marsha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great book....a compilation of Popular Science articles some written by athletes....about why physics is important to their sport.
Kevin
Dec 20, 2008 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a geeky sports book. perfect for me. fun and lots of info
Heather
Just read the parts about baseball and soccer. Liked learning about the variety of pitches!
Carl Andrews
Carl Andrews rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Jan Eglen
Jan Eglen rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Richele Barry
Richele Barry rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Patsy Zarilla
Patsy Zarilla rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Richele
Richele rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Adam Rathfon
Adam Rathfon rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Andy Valen
Andy Valen rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Isaac Northrop
Isaac Northrop rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Monte
Monte rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2009
Isaac Vanwestrienen
It's so long I don't really read it; I look at the pictures and read a little.
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Julie
Jun 23, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't jump off the bottom step!
Linda Meister
Linda Meister rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Hectorspencer
Hectorspencer rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2008
Sheldon Natowsky
Sheldon Natowsky rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2009