Start by marking “Chatter: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Chatter: A Novel

Chatter: A Novel

2.5 of 5 stars 2.50  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Michael and Sarah's marriage is already in trouble. But the revelation that Michael has a daughter he's never mentioned—and only just met—pushes their relationship to the breaking point. His secrecy about the past, his compulsion to visit his ex-lover, and the sudden presence of his beautiful, grown daughter in their lives drives Sarah to search for the truth—a search that ...more
Published October 23rd 2007 by Algonquin Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Chatter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chatter

Harvey
- written in an interesting (well...initially interesting) but eventually irritating style of conversational chatter (fractured dialogue and unfinished conversations)
- a troubled marriage
- a husband with a grown daughter that he has never mentioned
- a wife's brief affair
- interestingly...this particular physical book had a 'factory defect' and pages were numbered 1 through 182, then 215 through 245, and then 215 through 245 AGAIN. I don't think that reading the missing 33 pages would have made a
Katherine
This is a grab it off the library shelf book described as "Smartly plotted and stylishly paced ... it gives us a bright Doppler reading of the way we live now" - what the heck does that mean. The writing style is very different and I guess the main point of how we live now is no one listens to anyone and everyone is absorbed in their own fantasy world.
Lindsey
Dec 14, 2008 Lindsey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lindsey by: Santa
I think my dad works with the author's husband, so that's how I got it. The book is pretty interesting, although not one I'd necessarily pick out on my own.

It made me think about the nature of relationships and how open or assertive people should/ need to be with their partner.
Deb Christenson
Driven by dialogue, this book may intrigue you or frustrate you as the characters and plot must be read between the lines--of the chatter that goes on between a husband and wife.
weird bad depressing book - but easy to read and should be over soon - i have to finish a book once i start it my compulsion for this is irksome with this novel!
Deb
Fiction informed by the disconnect of today's world, both societal and marital.
Kris
Worst book I've read ina long time.
Bonnye Reed
Bonnye Reed marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Adam Dunnells
Adam Dunnells marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Brooke Somerville
Brooke Somerville marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 04, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Grettel
Grettel marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Lilly Bergman
Lilly Bergman marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
BMiche
BMiche marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
M
M marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
george
george marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012