Start by marking “Love Flute” as Want to Read:
Love Flute

Love Flute

In love with a beautiful girl, but too shy to tell her, a young man leaves his camp in frustration. One night he receives mystical visitors who offer him a special gift -- a love flute. A gift from the birds and animals, its tells the girl of his love where words have failed.
Published November 1st 1997 by Aladdin (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Love Flute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Flute

Kathryn
Feb 26, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: valentines-day
This is a truly beautiful book! The story is exquisite, the pictures complimentary--everything evokes not only the true spirit of Love but also the deep essence of this particular Native American culture. I gave it to my husband for Valentine's Day! It can certainly be read to children, but I think adults will find much to appreciate here, too.
Rachel
I picked up this book at the library book sale because it looked interesting and I love Paul Goble books, especially the illustrations. There is a full description (with references on the opposite page) about the love or courting flute before the story begins, so the reader has a background to the tale. I thought it was a sweet story about a young warrior who is too shy to tell the woman he loves that he is in love with her, that is until the Elk Men give him a flute. Through it he can weave his ...more
Cindy
Oct 29, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's a typical love story about a beautiful girl and a shy boy who wasn't confident enough to speak to her. The illustrations in this book are very beautiful and I really liked the texture of the text. As silly as it sounds, I enjoyed touching the pages because of rigid and smooth textures. This story can be utilized in classroom when learning about animals and instruments. This story's plot, characters, and the illustrations definitely created a vivid image of th ...more
Andrea Hussey
Heather
Phair
Have always loved Goble's illustrations for his picture books of Plains Indian myths & history. Had forgotten that I own this one until I was rummaging through my bookcase so I re-read it. "All the birds and animals have helped make this flute for you. We have put our voices inside it. When you blow it, our harmony will be in your melodies." How cool is that. This will be a perfect addition to a display of Native American flutes we have planned for my library.
Morgan Wright
Oct 05, 2012 Morgan Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
I enjoyed this story and loved the illustrations that went along with it. It is a great read in a class if you have time to kill or at home to your child. Unfortunately, this book does not really have an underlying teaching. It is simply about a shy boy who loves a pretty girl, but is afraid to talk to her. His flute gives him a way to communicate his love without speaking. I could not think of any way to connect in order to use it as a teaching tool in the classroom.
Henry Martin
Nov 25, 2013 Henry Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Paul Goble's retelling of Native American stories never fails to amaze me. The beauty and simplicity contained within his books tells of times long gone, of times when honor and a sense of community were important to people, when man did not abuse nature and instilled values in future generations. Wonderful!
SmokingMirror
Dec 16, 2014 SmokingMirror rated it really liked it
Paul Goble's pictures are entrancing. His language is always appropriate to the story, with no jarring word choices or sentence constructions. Lest this seem like schoolmaster-ly praise, I will add that I intend to keep every Goble book I come across.
Fernando Morales
Jul 16, 2014 Fernando Morales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife thought a bunch of guys waiting outside your house with blankets was a little creepy,
other than that a great read. I enjoyed it cause its hard to talk to women.
Kienie
Aug 10, 2014 Kienie rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
So, so very pretty. But also so very, very short. I also wish they had names.
Shannon Futrell
May 03, 2017 Shannon Futrell rated it liked it
Shelves: multicultural
This story is about a young man who is in love with a girl, but is too shy to tell her. He ends up receiving a love flute from mystical visitors. The flute ends up explaining the young man's love to the girl. This book is a great fairytale/ folktale book that reaches about the history of the Native American culture.
Leane
I found this story to be absolutely adorable as well as informative. I had no idea that Native American men played the flute in order to court women from their tribes. I immediately had a strong connection with this book because I am a flutist, and I had no idea that the flute played this role in some Native American tribes' history. This is a native story, but it doesn't explain which tribes the story comes from. The references do mention Sioux as well as Cheyenne, so I assume it is stemming fr ...more
Laura (booksnob)
Paul Goble is one of my favorite children's book authors. He writes the legends and history of the Plains Indians and his artwork is stunningly beautiful. The colors jump off the page and the story is always mesmerizing. The Love Flute tells the history or sacred story of the courting flute during traditional times and how the flute was given to a shy man in love with a woman he couldn't talk to by the Elk people.
Melissa
I found this story very beautiful and soulful. As with a lot of Native American customs, the love flute is very symbolic of our connection to all creatures. The Elk Men gift a shy young man with the first love flute to catch a popular girl's attention in The Love Flute. Paul Goble has again written a great story and filled it with vivid, beautiful illustrations. This may very well be one of my favorite Paul Goble books and I recommend it to anyone wanting a feel-good story!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
great multi cultural story talks about the legend of courtship and their pratices
Jessica Robinson
Sep 27, 2014 Jessica Robinson rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated with a sweet story.
M—
M— rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2009
Zach
Zach rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2017
Tracy E.
Tracy E. rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Mrs. Mans
Mrs. Mans rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Leah Jurss
Leah Jurss rated it really liked it
May 08, 2017
Rona
Rona rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2010
Tamara Red
Tamara Red rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
Jessi
Jessi rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Tylyn Lebeau
Tylyn Lebeau rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Rachel Parrott
Rachel Parrott rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Itbeginswithanidea
Itbeginswithanidea rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul Goble was an award winning author and illustrator of children's books. He has won both the Caldecott Medal and The Library of Congress' Children's Book of the Year Award.
He gave his entire collection of original illustrations to the South Dakota Art Museum in Brookings, South Dakota.
Goble, a native of England, studied at the Central School of Art in London. He became a United States citizen i
More about Paul Goble...