From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth Story

From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth Story

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A history of the Earth, from its formation through the appearance of mammals and the extinction of dinosaurs, in the form of a story told by the Universe itself to an Earthling.
Published July 26th 2004 by Dawn Publications (CA) (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about From Lava to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Lava to Life

Sandra Dutton
Three of the best children’s books I’ve found on evolution are a series by Jennifer Morgan and Dana Lynne Andersen (illustrator): Born with a Bang, From Lava to Life, and Mammals Who Morph. Morgan tells the story of the universe from the universe’s point of view, using metaphors a child can identify with: “About 13 billion years ago, or so, I was smaller than a piece of dust under your bed.” That piece of dust bursts into a “gargantuan balloon the size of a galaxy” and describes its future in te...more
Holly Rayl
Someone had this included in a list of Montessori curriculum books, but, upon reading, I think I would choose not to share it with children. The author takes several liberties, the biggest of which is personifying everything, including the universe. In fact, the book is told from the first person perspective of the universe, which I found incredibly irritating. And why she opted to include "magic" in a book about science, I'll never understand. ("Bacteria on top ate rays of light and magically t...more
Janice
Book Two is as good as Book One in this series. A great way to explain our world’s beginning to children. The pictures keep them looking at the book as you read through the wonderful story. The back has a glossary, a timeline, and more.

I’ve read these books to my class numerous times. I think the next time I do, I might have to take pictures of the pictures to show on a screen as I read.
Cindi
An excellent overview of the beginnings of life on earth. This is book two in a series of three. I like how the information is given on a young child's level and then spelled out in more detail at the end of the book as a follow-up for more discussion.
Taylor
Oct 01, 2008 Taylor rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NO ONE PLEASE DON'T READ IT!
Recommended to Taylor by: My teacher
I learned alot and I'm not about to bore you with it, ok. But I do NOT reccomend this book to anyone except for someone that loves to read about the earth!!!!!!
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Nancy Dwyer
Nancy Dwyer marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Delabe
Delabe added it
May 11, 2014
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Ncimontessori Library
Ncimontessori Library is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Born with a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story Mammals Who Morph: The Universe Tells Our Evolution Story: Book 3 (The Universe Series) (Sharing Nature with Children Books) A Wind from the Sea Stop Smoking - If I Can Quit Smoking, You Can IS FUNDRAISING THROUGH BINGO A GOOD IDEA FOR MY NONPROFIT? (Ideas for your nonprofit, charity, team, club, or church group)