Start by marking “From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth Story” as Want to Read:
From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth Story

From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth Story

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A history of the Earth, from its formation through the appearance of mammals and the extinction of dinosaurs, in the form of a story told by the Universe itself to an Earthling.
Published July 26th 2004 by Dawn Publications (CA) (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about From Lava to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Lava to Life

Sandra Dutton
Apr 08, 2010 Sandra Dutton rated it it was amazing
Three of the best children’s books I’ve found on evolution are a series by Jennifer Morgan and Dana Lynne Andersen (illustrator): Born with a Bang, From Lava to Life, and Mammals Who Morph. Morgan tells the story of the universe from the universe’s point of view, using metaphors a child can identify with: “About 13 billion years ago, or so, I was smaller than a piece of dust under your bed.” That piece of dust bursts into a “gargantuan balloon the size of a galaxy” and describes its future in te ...more
Holly Rayl
Jul 04, 2012 Holly Rayl rated it it was ok
Someone had this included in a list of Montessori curriculum books, but, upon reading, I think I would choose not to share it with children. The author takes several liberties, the biggest of which is personifying everything, including the universe. In fact, the book is told from the first person perspective of the universe, which I found incredibly irritating. And why she opted to include "magic" in a book about science, I'll never understand. ("Bacteria on top ate rays of light and magically t ...more
Blake
Jun 03, 2016 Blake rated it it was amazing
This book follows perfectly from the first book in the series and tells about the Coming of Life, which is the Second Great Lesson in Montessori.
Janice
Dec 08, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-non-fiction
Book Two is as good as Book One in this series. A great way to explain our world’s beginning to children. The pictures keep them looking at the book as you read through the wonderful story. The back has a glossary, a timeline, and more.

I’ve read these books to my class numerous times. I think the next time I do, I might have to take pictures of the pictures to show on a screen as I read.
Cindi
Nov 02, 2009 Cindi rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of the beginnings of life on earth. This is book two in a series of three. I like how the information is given on a young child's level and then spelled out in more detail at the end of the book as a follow-up for more discussion.
Taylor
Oct 01, 2008 Taylor rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: NO ONE PLEASE DON'T READ IT!
Recommended to Taylor by: My teacher
I learned alot and I'm not about to bore you with it, ok. But I do NOT reccomend this book to anyone except for someone that loves to read about the earth!!!!!!
Pravin Shrimandilkar
Pravin Shrimandilkar marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Nico
Nico added it
Jun 14, 2016
Michelle Uhlfelder
Michelle Uhlfelder rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Rania
Rania rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Emmie
Emmie rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Leif Hansen
Leif Hansen rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Nicole Rhem
Nicole Rhem rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Taulin
Taulin marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Robert Rivera
Robert Rivera marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
A Book & A Toke
A Book & A Toke marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Kristen Jaques
Kristen Jaques rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Iris
Iris rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
April Golden
April Golden rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Elizabeth Hills
Elizabeth Hills marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
MPSNE
MPSNE added it
Aug 29, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015