Start by marking “From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth Story” as Want to Read:
From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth Story

From Lava to Life: The Universe Tells Our Earth Story

A history of the Earth, from its formation through the appearance of mammals and the extinction of dinosaurs, in the form of a story told by the Universe itself to an Earthling.
Published July 26th 2004 by Dawn Publications (CA) (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about From Lava to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Lava to Life

Sandra Dutton
Apr 08, 2010 Sandra Dutton rated it it was amazing
Three of the best children’s books I’ve found on evolution are a series by Jennifer Morgan and Dana Lynne Andersen (illustrator): Born with a Bang, From Lava to Life, and Mammals Who Morph. Morgan tells the story of the universe from the universe’s point of view, using metaphors a child can identify with: “About 13 billion years ago, or so, I was smaller than a piece of dust under your bed.” That piece of dust bursts into a “gargantuan balloon the size of a galaxy” and describes its future in ...more
Holly Rayl
Jul 04, 2012 Holly Rayl rated it it was ok
Someone had this included in a list of Montessori curriculum books, but, upon reading, I think I would choose not to share it with children. The author takes several liberties, the biggest of which is personifying everything, including the universe. In fact, the book is told from the first person perspective of the universe, which I found incredibly irritating. And why she opted to include "magic" in a book about science, I'll never understand. ("Bacteria on top ate rays of light and magically ...more
Janice
Dec 08, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-non-fiction
Book Two is as good as Book One in this series. A great way to explain our world’s beginning to children. The pictures keep them looking at the book as you read through the wonderful story. The back has a glossary, a timeline, and more.

I’ve read these books to my class numerous times. I think the next time I do, I might have to take pictures of the pictures to show on a screen as I read.
Cindi
Nov 02, 2009 Cindi rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of the beginnings of life on earth. This is book two in a series of three. I like how the information is given on a young child's level and then spelled out in more detail at the end of the book as a follow-up for more discussion.
Taylor
Oct 01, 2008 Taylor rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: NO ONE PLEASE DON'T READ IT!
Recommended to Taylor by: My teacher
I learned alot and I'm not about to bore you with it, ok. But I do NOT reccomend this book to anyone except for someone that loves to read about the earth!!!!!!
Blake
Jun 03, 2016 Blake rated it it was amazing
This book follows perfectly from the first book in the series and tells about the Coming of Life, which is the Second Great Lesson in Montessori.
Cris
Cris rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Lisa Hanson
Lisa Hanson rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Iris
Iris rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
'Matthew Bennett!
'Matthew Bennett! rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2007
Leif Hansen
Leif Hansen rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Bea
Bea rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Deanne Quarrie
Deanne Quarrie rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2010
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2008
Nicole Rhem
Nicole Rhem rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Guen
Guen rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Alpa Shah
Alpa Shah rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Lisa Davis
Lisa Davis rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Joni
Joni rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2011
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Corinne
Corinne rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Brandice
Brandice rated it really liked it
May 04, 2012
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Aaron Wilkerson
Aaron Wilkerson rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2012