Let It Rain Coffee: A Novel

Let It Rain Coffee: A Novel

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Angie Cruz has established herself as a dazzling new voice in Latin American fiction, her writing compared to Gabriel García Márquez's by The Boston Globe. Now, with humor, passion, and intensity, she reveals the proud members of the Colón family and the dreams, love, and heartbreak that bind them to their past and the future.

Esperanza risked h...more
Published May 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Let It Rain Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let It Rain Coffee

Victoria
Before reading this review, you really must learn something about the history of the Dominican Republic. The majority of the flashbacks concerned the Presidency of Trujillo, but there are other aspect of the country's history that are essential to understanding the story. Also, if your Spanish is as bad as mine, you might not know the exact meaning of about 10% of the dialogue, but you can pick it up within the context. Do not let that scare you off from this amazing book. I just finished it in...more
Raquel
Okay novel about a Dominican family that leaves DR to make it in the US. Esperanza and her husband, Santo, have two children (Bobby and Dallas) and live in a tenement in New York City. The family is in America because Esperanza became obsessed with reruns of the soap opera Dallas that she watched in DR and she decided that life in America would be better than life in the DR. Santo's father, Don Chan, comes to live with the family after his wife dies. Cruz does an excellent job of showing how Don...more
Jana
I would probably give 3 1/2 stars if I could. I enjoyed this book, especially the parts about the Dominican Republic. I am in awe of hard working women who after a full day's work still go home and cook for their families and take care of aging parents. My only complaint is that the story is very typical- Family from the islands comes to NYC for a better life only to end up in a tenament building.
i picked this one off the library shelf because it was near a bellwether prize winner i was already checking out. and i resonated with the title (turns out to be named after a song, not the actual raining down of coffee - but a girl can dream). i haven't read much latin american lit, so i found this a refreshing entree - straddling between mid-60s dominican republic (with some historical and political happenings) to current day new york. i thought cruz did an admirable job of capturing several d...more
Colleen Stinchcombe
Really enjoyed this book. A criticism of the idea of the American dream & consumerism and it was done beautifully. Non-abstractly it was the story of a family struggling with day-to-day life in an America that was not all it seemed (and what it seemed, to them, was the TV show Dallas). The characters were compelling and I easily turned pages. I always wanted more and I never felt fed up with the story. It is also a story of immigration, assimilation, second generations, where “home” really i...more
Myriam
A wonderful, whimsical story about Dominican immigrants to New York City. Cruz writes with humor and sensitivity about one family's peregrinations while also making valuable historical notes for readers to the effects of the US occupation on Dominicans; she also makes subtle critiques of Dominican "anti-haitianismo" by imagining Dominican resistance to American domination and search for sovereignty/culture both within the DR and NY. Wonderfully written and captivating.
Ana Cardoso
It was a slow start but I was encaptivated by the Colon family and wanted to know more about how their lives evolved, especially Bobby. I felt connection with him even though his character had so much unspoken. I just love a book that does a great job on telling a personal story with a historical presence in the background. I want to learn more about Trujillo's reign and the current political situation in D.R.
I really love this book! Well, i'm being a bit biased because i love everything this author writes lol. Not as good as her first book, but still as touching & as detailed as the first one. I love the narration and the connection Angie Cruz makes to the nostalgia Dominicans feel while living in NYC. As well as her ability to capture the struggles and dreams of the Dominican community.
Catherine
Since I knew pretty much nothing about the Dominican Republic before reading this book, it was interesting to get a glimpse of what life was like there, and I also liked reading about the family's experience as immigrants in New York City.

The characters seemed like real people, which is always good, but I could have done without all the sex scenes. They just seemed unnecessary.
Rachel
I can't decide if I liked this book or not. I learned a lot about the Dominican Republic during the 1960s. I didn't really like any of the characters, except for maybe the old grandfather. They all seemed kind of stupid or angry or pathetic. Maybe that's more realistic - not everyone is smart and brave and admirable.
Barbara
It took me awhile to enjoy this book, but the author won me over with her good writing, and I grew interested in how the characters would cope with their adversities.
Jose
i found this book to be great because it talks a lot of the dominican republic which is my country of birth. a lot of history which i was not familiar with.
Val
This book follows a Dominican Repubican family to New York. It is an account of their struggles, disapointments,and successes in a new country.
Rebecca
I thought I wouldn't like this book when it was passed on to me but it was OK. Gave some insight to the history of Dominican Republic.
Joseespinal
i like this book because it talk a lot about my country of birth history.
Jay
Let's hear it for an amazing Dominican American talent from THE HEIGHTS!!!
Solange
Angie Cruz is from the heights and she also happens to be a genius.
Shirindokht Nourmanesh
Wonderfully written; learned a lot about the Dominican Republic.
Karen
This took a little while to get into, but a sweet story in the end.
Crystal Roxana
"You want to live to work or work to live?"
Lorrie
Never finished this book...just didn't care.
Lilian
I absolutely loved this book.
Berty Morales
Berty Morales marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Angie Cruz was conceived in Dominican Republic and born in 1972 in New York City's Washington Heights. She continued to travel to and from, every summer, until she was sixteen years old. She went to La Guardia High School concentrating on Visual Arts and by default decided to follow a path in Fashion Design at Fashion Institute of Technology. During those four years of college, she worked as a sal...more
More about Angie Cruz...
Soledad: A Novel [in]security 2.1 (vandal) Fifteen Candles: 15 Tales of Taffeta, Hairspray, Drunk Uncles, and other Quinceanera Stories