Start by marking “Let It Rain Coffee” as Want to Read:
Let It Rain Coffee

Let It Rain Coffee

Angie Cruz has established herself as a dazzling new voice in Latin American fiction, her writing compared to Gabriel García Márquez's by The Boston Globe. Now, with humor, passion, and intensity, she reveals the proud members of the Colón family and the dreams, love, and heartbreak that bind them to their past and the future.

Esperanza risked her life fleeing the Dominic
Published May 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Let It Rain Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let It Rain Coffee

Jul 13, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: around the world tinkerers
I first saw this book on a Florida professor's class list of contemporary Latin American literature, and weeks later, someone recommended it as a light read for a beach trip I took with the hubby (although now I'm wondering if I should've taken Barthes's A Lover's Discourse: Fragments so that I could lose my footing and once again become "too literary," as my husband puts it, at a dinner discussion). I wouldn't call this a light read, even with its simple sentence structure; rather, I'd say it's ...more
Mar 04, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Before reading this review, you really must learn something about the history of the Dominican Republic. The majority of the flashbacks concerned the Presidency of Trujillo, but there are other aspect of the country's history that are essential to understanding the story. Also, if your Spanish is as bad as mine, you might not know the exact meaning of about 10% of the dialogue, but you can pick it up within the context. Do not let that scare you off from this amazing book. I just finished it in ...more
Nov 10, 2013 Raquel rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, october, 2013
Okay novel about a Dominican family that leaves DR to make it in the US. Esperanza and her husband, Santo, have two children (Bobby and Dallas) and live in a tenement in New York City. The family is in America because Esperanza became obsessed with reruns of the soap opera Dallas that she watched in DR and she decided that life in America would be better than life in the DR. Santo's father, Don Chan, comes to live with the family after his wife dies. Cruz does an excellent job of showing how Don ...more
Colleen Stinchcombe
Mar 07, 2013 Colleen Stinchcombe rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. A criticism of the idea of the American dream & consumerism and it was done beautifully. Non-abstractly it was the story of a family struggling with day-to-day life in an America that was not all it seemed (and what it seemed, to them, was the TV show Dallas). The characters were compelling and I easily turned pages. I always wanted more and I never felt fed up with the story. It is also a story of immigration, assimilation, second generations, where “home” really i ...more
Nov 27, 2007 Jana rated it liked it
Shelves: around-the-world
I would probably give 3 1/2 stars if I could. I enjoyed this book, especially the parts about the Dominican Republic. I am in awe of hard working women who after a full day's work still go home and cook for their families and take care of aging parents. My only complaint is that the story is very typical- Family from the islands comes to NYC for a better life only to end up in a tenament building.
Jan 26, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
i picked this one off the library shelf because it was near a bellwether prize winner i was already checking out. and i resonated with the title (turns out to be named after a song, not the actual raining down of coffee - but a girl can dream). i haven't read much latin american lit, so i found this a refreshing entree - straddling between mid-60s dominican republic (with some historical and political happenings) to current day new york. i thought cruz did an admirable job of capturing several d ...more
Verlinda Bluestone
Nov 16, 2014 Verlinda Bluestone rated it it was amazing
I liked this book....because it was so is really like that...the work...the cooking... kids...I've re read this book a few times... i think that it'd a book about life... and so many people's lives are similar to this family's life.... not necessarily the soap operas lol...but with wanting more and better for our kids and ourselves. some ppl may not like this book maybe because it is too real....especially about people in the less Affluent places of the u.s.
Aug 04, 2010 Myriam rated it really liked it
A wonderful, whimsical story about Dominican immigrants to New York City. Cruz writes with humor and sensitivity about one family's peregrinations while also making valuable historical notes for readers to the effects of the US occupation on Dominicans; she also makes subtle critiques of Dominican "anti-haitianismo" by imagining Dominican resistance to American domination and search for sovereignty/culture both within the DR and NY. Wonderfully written and captivating.
Ana Cardoso
It was a slow start but I was encaptivated by the Colon family and wanted to know more about how their lives evolved, especially Bobby. I felt connection with him even though his character had so much unspoken. I just love a book that does a great job on telling a personal story with a historical presence in the background. I want to learn more about Trujillo's reign and the current political situation in D.R.
Aug 25, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
I can't decide if I liked this book or not. I learned a lot about the Dominican Republic during the 1960s. I didn't really like any of the characters, except for maybe the old grandfather. They all seemed kind of stupid or angry or pathetic. Maybe that's more realistic - not everyone is smart and brave and admirable.
Dec 24, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I really love this book! Well, i'm being a bit biased because i love everything this author writes lol. Not as good as her first book, but still as touching & as detailed as the first one. I love the narration and the connection Angie Cruz makes to the nostalgia Dominicans feel while living in NYC. As well as her ability to capture the struggles and dreams of the Dominican community.
May 12, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
Since I knew pretty much nothing about the Dominican Republic before reading this book, it was interesting to get a glimpse of what life was like there, and I also liked reading about the family's experience as immigrants in New York City.

The characters seemed like real people, which is always good, but I could have done without all the sex scenes. They just seemed unnecessary.
Mar 04, 2016 Victoria rated it liked it
There were sections of this novel I really enjoyed and couldn't put down, but overall, it seemed to be tragedy after tragedy for these characters. Not every novel can or should have a happy ending for all of the characters, but this was a bit much for me.
Jun 23, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
Don Chan's story parallels that of many. In his old age, after having lost his wife, Don Chan relocated by his son from his beloved country to live out his days in a cramped New York apartment. As his mind fades and his health deteriorates, his dreams of home grow stronger.
Feb 25, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I thought I wouldn't like this book when it was passed on to me but it was OK. Gave some insight to the history of Dominican Republic.
Oct 20, 2009 Jose rated it liked it
i found this book to be great because it talks a lot of the dominican republic which is my country of birth. a lot of history which i was not familiar with.
Silvia Munguia
Jun 14, 2015 Silvia Munguia rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. The characters are very interesting. The only thing I found odd was the ending: an 18 year old boy having sex with an elder woman. What's up with that?
Aug 26, 2008 Val rated it really liked it
This book follows a Dominican Repubican family to New York. It is an account of their struggles, disapointments,and successes in a new country.
Sep 15, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
It took me awhile to enjoy this book, but the author won me over with her good writing, and I grew interested in how the characters would cope with their adversities.
Terri rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Kimberly Bega
Kimberly Bega rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Amanda Vigil
Amanda Vigil rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Amanda rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2011
Judy rated it really liked it
May 15, 2008
Carletta rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2009
Tatica Beltre
Tatica Beltre rated it it was ok
May 08, 2009
Nancy Garcia
Nancy Garcia rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Alex Gomez
Alex Gomez rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Dave rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2010
Carolyn Brandt
Carolyn Brandt rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
  • Monkey Hunting
  • The Cry and the Covenant
  • Barrio Boy
  • The Wasp Eater
Angie Cruz was conceived in Dominican Republic and born in 1972 in New York City's Washington Heights. She continued to travel to and from, every summer, until she was sixteen years old. She went to La Guardia High School concentrating on Visual Arts and by default decided to follow a path in Fashion Design at Fashion Institute of Technology. During those four years of college, she worked as a sal ...more
More about Angie Cruz...