Start by marking “The Supremes' Greatest Hits: The 34 Supreme Court Cases That Most Directly Affect Your Life” as Want to Read:

Can the government seize your house in order to build a shopping mall? Can it determine what you can do to your own body? Why are you allowed to copy songs on a CD, but not music files from the Internet? The answers to those questions come from the Supreme Court—and its rulings have shaped American life and justice. Here are 34 of the most significant issues it has grapple ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Sterling (first published October 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Supremes' Greatest Hits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Supremes' Greatest Hits

Brian
Mar 31, 2008 Brian rated it liked it
I'm a bit of a closet law junkie. I read the Decision of the Day blog, I follow the Supreme Court pretty regularly. This little book is a pretty good primer on the basics of Constitutional law, and it provides a good background on how seemingly innocuous rulings end up having broader implications. I also liked (but maybe question whether they deserve placement in the "most important" cases, since their historical relevance has yet to be determined) that the author included some very recent rulin ...more
Kelly O
May 12, 2012 Kelly O rated it really liked it
Kelly O’Loughlin 4B

Michael G. Trachtman’s nonfiction book, The Supreme’s Greatest Hits: The 37 Supreme Court Cases That Most Directly Affect Your Life, is a compilation of the most crucial court cases whose results we encounter in our everyday American lives. Trachtman divides the cases up into chapters based on their general topic, with each chapter including a few or several cases. He begins with describing all of the aspects of the Supreme Court and explaining its importance, tasks, and orig
Tiffany Soohoo
Apr 19, 2012 Tiffany Soohoo rated it really liked it
A lot of people only know the basics of American government. They know there are three branches, executives, legislative and judicial. They know that the executive branch involves the President, enforces the laws. On the other hand they know that the legislative branch has the Senate and House of Representatives, whom make the laws. The judicial branch, however, is know the least, besides that the courts interpret the laws (whether they are constitutional or not). The book Supremes’ Greatest Hi ...more
Gordon
Apr 04, 2014 Gordon rated it really liked it
This is a very quick overview of the 34 most significant Supreme Court cases since Madison v. Marbury, in 1803. That was the case that clearly defined for the first time the role of the Supreme Court in being the supreme interpreter of the law and in particular the compliance of those laws (and actions and regulations of the Executive authorized under those laws) with the US Constitution. It was the first time that the court declared a law to be unconstitutional.

The Supremes' Greatest Hits is a
Elizabeth
Aug 22, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
I wish I would have read this book while in law school and my constitutional law class. (while realizing that I would have also needed to read the actual cases). It is a great primer on the cases and gets to the point of why this case was important, what it changed legally and how it played with or into other legal issues of the time, or today. I could actually hear my Professor making these points in class, but for some reason I felt like it was more bluntly put into this book.

I will admit I sk
Jeff
Nov 04, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought this book was fantastic. (I am a casual follower of the court at best)

Each case summary included:
- how the case came about in the first place
- why it was important at the time
- it's implications for for the future of the country

Best was the way the book was written. I was hooked from start to finish. Most every case discussed HAS or WILL have had an effect on me.

I was also happy to discover that while the liberal/conservative nature of the judges was addressed, there was no apparent b
Jill
Aug 23, 2007 Jill marked it as to-read
I have this incredible customer at the store who sends us letters bi-weekly with a list of books she requests us to order. she will only take pristine covers, only hardcovers, and insists we order them in so they are fresh. in short--i LOVE this woman. then she comes in and drops a grand once every couple months on the ones we've set aside.

this book was in yesterday's letter. i love the title--and why shouldn't i learn about court cases that have directly affected my life?
Rekha
This book was a rollercoaster of emotions. Really, I'm not kidding. Depending on the case, precedent, or effect I was reading, I went from "Woo-hoo democracy!" to "Stupid ass decision on that one, people" to "feeling rage, I am totally feeling rage" to "I am scared out of my knickers to be living in this country." Trust me, as you read through these landmark cases, from minute to minute you will be all "woot!" or "boo!" all the way through.
Shala Howell
Aug 27, 2008 Shala Howell rated it it was amazing
Deeply thrilling for the tech writer in me. Clear writing, well-organized content with just enough tidbits about the case and the justices who heard it to appeal to the gossip in my nature, while clearly articulating why the case matters in American (and surprisingly often, world) history. Quick read too, which never hurts when you're trying to learn something between diaper changes.
Kristin B
Mar 16, 2016 Kristin B rated it it was amazing
I definitely picked this book up because of its awesome title but I have been surprised by how much I have enjoyed reading it. It's a good refresher on the basics of our democracy and especially the Supreme Court's role in it.
Lucy
Oct 31, 2011 Lucy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a decent overview of landmark cases, but I'm sure there are better books of this type out there. Even though this book was meant to be accessible, it took me about 3 months to slog my way through it as I found it difficult to read more than one case at a time.
Sandra
Jan 08, 2009 Sandra added it
Excellent review of important SC cases. And interesting!
Noahmay
Jun 03, 2010 Noahmay rated it it was amazing
Great look at some very interesting and very pertinent cases
Cheng
Aug 07, 2007 Cheng rated it really liked it
quick and simple read, but informative. it's like a refresher course of government 101.
Spencer
Feb 22, 2013 Spencer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
An excellent short summary of important court cases. Increases your generalized knowledge in just an hour or two. Definitely a must read.
Deirdre Cook
Jun 07, 2007 Deirdre Cook rated it liked it
Good to have around
Cindy
Aug 07, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
The title says it all; 34 court cases that most directly affect our lives. Excellent discussion of why the Supreme Court matters.
Ipletweet
Apr 11, 2012 Ipletweet rated it it was amazing
Kelly is reading this book.
Cassie
Oct 12, 2007 Cassie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who cares about freedom
I had the WORST history teachers in high school so I NEEDED to read this book. It keeps it real and tells you the importance of the Supreme Court and the power and decisions they make.
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Jacob
Jacob rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Adam Cox
Adam Cox rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2017
Victor Garcia
Victor Garcia rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
May 15, 2009
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000
  • Gaming the Vote: Why Elections Aren't Fair (and What We Can Do About It)
  • One-Night Stands with American History: Odd, Amusing, and Little-Known Incidents
  • Ladies And Gentlemen Of The Jury: Greatest Closing Arguments In Modern Law
  • Why Nations Go to War
  • The Words We Live By: Your Annotated Guide to the Constitution
  • American Original: The Life and Constitution of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
  • The Teapot Dome Scandal: How Big Oil Bought the Harding White House and Tried to Steal the Country
  • The Battle for America 2008: The Story of an Extraordinary Election
  • The Klingon Dictionary
  • An Uncommon History of Common Things
  • Good Capitalism, Bad Capitalism, and the Economics of Growth and Prosperity
  • Black's Law Dictionary
  • The Dirty Dozen: How Twelve Supreme Court Cases Radically Expanded Government and Eroded Freedom
  • The Young Forester
  • Legends of the Ferengi (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Crossing Hitler: The Man Who Put the Nazis on the Witness Stand