Start by marking “Skin and Bones” as Want to Read:
Skin and Bones

Skin and Bones

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  7 reviews
James Thorne Smith Jr. (1892-1934), was an American writer of humorous supernaturnal fantasy fiction. Best known today for his creation of Topper, Smith's comic fantasy fiction (most of it involving sex, lots of drinking, and supernatural transformations, and aided by racy illustrations) sold millions of copies in the early 1930s. Smith drank as steadily as his characters; ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 260 pages
Published January 1st 1933 by Doubleday Doran

To ask other readers questions about Skin and Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin and Bones

Jim Dooley
At one point in the story, one character asks another in frustration if he must always be drunk. Of course, based on the ones I've read, it wouldn't be a Thorne Smith book if the alcohol didn't flow more freely than water and the most enlightened people knew that life wasn't worth living without frequent sexual escapades...although almost every character will protest against improper advantages being taken!

The writer's forte is in creating the most compromising, utterly incredible situations and
[7/10] I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars because I really liked the book - it is a non-stop laugh fest, in a truly screwball rendition of the roaring 20's and with the over-elaborate insults that makes you dive for a dictionary and the party like i's the end of the world attitude. On the other hand, no matter how well written and energetic it may be, it is really a one joke book and it tends to get repetitive.

For all that, our great grand parents sure knew how to have a good time. The quantity o
What a situation -- a photographer keeps changing into a skeleton which puts him into all kinds of wild Jazz Age troubles including scaring all the patrons out of a speakeasy. Strangely fun.
This Thorne Smith guy is more goth than Tim Burton these days, and I could see myself worshipping this dude if I was into Hot Topic when I was younger.

But I never went to Hot Topic except for that one time I visited Los Angeles on a holiday trip, and I'm not cool enough to be goth.

I'm unused to humourous fiction so I'm a bit perplexed as to how to interpret jokes in written form, but this is one of the best attempts at "funny in book form" I've ever read.
Janice Russell
Maybe because the humor here is so dated it just didn't work for me.
Aug 25, 2012 J A rated it 3 of 5 stars
The book was ok, just a tad slow to read. T Smith doesn't put a enough in his book I feel. Still, I will try to read more of his works.
Funniest book I have ever read, hahaha
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Shelby added it
Sep 22, 2015
Doc marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Barry marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
John added it
Jul 20, 2015
Shar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Daed marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Shams marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jane is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2014
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
liz57 marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Shaka Simba
Shaka Simba marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James Thorne Smith, Jr. was an American writer of humorous supernatural fantasy fiction under the byline Thorne Smith. He is best known today for the two Topper novels, comic fantasy fiction involving sex, much drinking and supernatural transformations. With racy illustrations, these sold millions of copies in the 1930s and were equally popular in paperbacks of the 1950s.

Smith was born in Annapoli
More about Thorne Smith...