Start by marking “The Glance: Songs of Soul-Meeting” as Want to Read:
The Glance: Songs of Soul-Meeting

The Glance: Songs of Soul-Meeting

In 1244, the brilliant poet Rumi and the wandering dervish Shams of Tabriz met and immediately fell into a deep spiritual connection. The Glance taps a major, yet little explored theme in Rumi's poetry-the mystical experience that occurs in the meeting of the eyes of the lover and the beloved, parent and child, friend and soul mate.

Coleman Barks's new translations of these
Published September 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Glance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glance

Jenn
Aug 22, 2007 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fierce Courtesy

The connection to the Friend
is secret and very fragile.

The image of that friendship
is in how you love, the grace

and delicacey, the subtle talking
together, in full prostration,

outside of time. When you're
there, remember the fierce

courtesy of the one with you.

Daniel Lee
Dec 30, 2007 Daniel Lee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any lover of poetry
Coleman Barks continues his excellent translations of master Rumi's works. There are several stand out poems but the two lines that linger are:

1. "Love cannot be said."
-from "The Taste of Morning"

2. "My mouth tastes sweet with your name in it."
-from "Daring Enough to Finish"

Given the conceit that the inspiration of these poems was Rumi's "soul-friendship" with Shams of Tabriz, there is something wonderfully queer about the texts, or at least Barks' translation. From "In Love That Long": I turn
Sunny
Jul 08, 2016 Sunny rated it really liked it
Short collection of some of Rumi’s poems. Rumi was heavily inspired by Shams of Tabriz and a chance encounter they had in Konya in modern-day Turkey. The story goes that Rumi was sitting in an open place near a fountain teaching to a group of individuals through some of the books that he had with him at the time. Shams appeared from nowhere and starter throwing the books into the fountain. Rumi asks Shams who he is and what it is he is doing. Shams demands of Rumi to live from this day on what i ...more
Erica Heilmann
Jun 24, 2012 Erica Heilmann rated it it was amazing
If I could only have one book, this would be the book. It says something new to me every time I pick it up.
Ivan
Mar 31, 2012 Ivan rated it liked it
Shelves: b
It's poetry, so I think 90% of it went way over my head. I don't usually have the patience to think poems through, but my copy was vandalized in the most peculiar way...

I got to the end and I didn't even try to shoot myself, it must be good then, right?
Jo
Dec 09, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
A breathtaking book. It is one I will come back to again and again. This collection of poems from Rumi's 'Divan', flows from the love and loss of Rumi's friend Shams of Tabriz. The internalised friendship becomes the mystical inner 'thou' - a place of dialogue with the self, with the beloved other, with the 'divine' and the absence which permeates all of life. It is reminiscent of Thomas Merton. And as another reviewer commented, there is an undeclared queerness about it which transcends easy ca ...more
Sophiealka
Nov 21, 2014 Sophiealka rated it it was amazing
So you've read, and continue to treasure the foundational tome, that heartland of Sufi wisdom and wonder that is 'The Essential Rumi'. While the latter is inexhaustible in its exhibition of beautiful renderings of Jalal al Din Rumi by Barks, Nicholson and John, this much slimmer collection of poems demonstrates Coleman Barks' unparalleled grasp of the spiritual essence of Sufi poetry. Barks has carefully gathered together poems of Rumi's that speak to the concept of 'the glance', an encounter in ...more
Tempesta  Di Mare
Mar 16, 2016 Tempesta Di Mare rated it it was amazing
Rumi is the greatest lyricist for anybody needing help penning personal love letters. This book! This book is the reason I've got a ring on my finger! Need I say more?
Prudence
I don't know if it was the translation or if I don't care for Rumi. I've read various quotes by him and thought them insightful, but so much of this for me was like describing a beautiful sunset by saying it was like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's the translation. Not totally giving up on Rumi, next time I'll likely avoid translations by Colman.
Garet Church
Mar 08, 2014 Garet Church rated it it was amazing
This little book of love poems has a most amazing introduction by Coleman Barks. In it he tells several versions of the story of how Mevlana met Shams. The poems themselves are wonderful (Rumi just IS wonderful) and you'll surely want to pass this book along to a lover or friend.
Collette
Dec 03, 2014 Collette rated it it was amazing
The beauty and simplicity of Rumi speak for themselves and the magic of this little volume jumps out of every page transcending time and space, culture and faith. Such is the wonder of this tiny little book that I carry it everywhere with me. Here is a sample from one of my favourites, "would you bow?"

"If the Friend rose inside you, would you
bow? Would you wonder where that one

came from and how?"

And later ....

"Be silent and revolve with no will.
Don't raise your head to ask anything."

Trust me -
Tod Jones
Wonderful!
yamiyoghurt
Jul 20, 2015 yamiyoghurt rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This collection is a little too dense for me. I might return to it later.
Emily Kimball
Sep 11, 2014 Emily Kimball rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize how deep my need for these words was until I starting reading Rumi. There's wondrous life in his poetry.

"...Love is the soul's

light, the taste of morning, no me, no
we, no claim of being. These words

are the smoke the fire gives off as it
absolves its defects, as eyes in silence,

tears, face. Love cannot be said."
Jason
Dec 01, 2013 Jason rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Maybe it was because this book is a translation, but I just couldn't get into it. Some of the poems flew over my head, and some I just didn't like. In fact, I only found three favorites:

Fastened to a Pole
Undressing
Thorn Witness

I'll have to give another Rumi collection a try. But I'm going to take a while before I do.
Crystal
Jan 15, 2008 Crystal rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I think I expected too much because in anthologies you always get the best of poetry. There were two or three poems that I really enjoyed but I wasn't overly impressed by the rest of it.
Emily Dy
Mar 07, 2011 Emily Dy rated it really liked it
Not as great as the collection of poetry on love and ecstasy, but still beautiful.
Dhattūra
Dec 20, 2008 Dhattūra rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life, and helped me see the beauty in things.
Mar 18, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning imagery, surprising juxtaposition.
Kathy
Aug 27, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the most beautiful love poetry I've read.
Heidi
Mar 20, 2009 Heidi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: transcendents
This book is layered. Good to read any time.
poiboy
Nov 22, 2012 poiboy rated it it was amazing
such a tiny book.. such great passion!
Meena Gupta
Jun 28, 2008 Meena Gupta rated it it was amazing
A must for those who love poetry.
Amy
Jun 19, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
beautiful. please read
Ashley
Jun 20, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite poets
Trangdg
Trangdg marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
J.
J. added it
Sep 30, 2016
Katrinia17
Katrinia17 marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Ayesha
Ayesha marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Roqia
Roqia marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
  • No Nature: New and Selected Poems
  • The Gateless Gate: The Classic Book of Zen Koans
  • The Selected Poems of Tu Fu
  • The Rebel's Silhouette: Selected Poems
  • Poems of the Masters: China's Classic Anthology of T'ang and Sung Dynasty Verse
  • The American Transcendentalists: Essential Writings
  • On Love and Barley: Haiku of Basho
Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's languages, and he has been described as the most popular poet and the best-selling poet in the United States.

His poetry has influenced Persian literature, but also Turkish, Ottoman Turkish, Azerbaijani, Punjabi, Hindi, and Urdu, as well as the l
More about Jalaluddin Rumi...