Start by marking “The Love Poems of Rumi” as Want to Read:
The Love Poems of Rumi

The Love Poems of Rumi

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  2,151 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Born Jalal ad-Din Mohammed Balkhi in Persia early in the thirteenth century, the poet known as Rumi expressed the deepest feelings of the heart through his poetry. This volume consists of new translations edited by Deepak Chopra to evoke the rich mood and music of Rumi's love poems. Exalted yearning, ravishing ecstasy, and consuming desire emerge from these poems as powerf ...more
Published September 17th 1998 by Rider (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Poems of Rumi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Poems of Rumi

sweet jane
Sep 14, 2016 sweet jane rated it it was amazing
"Not having tasted
a single cup of your wine
I'm already drunk

Not having entered
the battlefield
I'm already wounded and slain

I no longer
know the difference
between image and reality

Like the shadow
I am
And
I am not"

Υπέροχη συλλογή, γεμάτη μικρά πεφταστέρια αγάπης. Να την διαβάσετε!
Patrick Gibson
Sep 15, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Both light and shadow
are the dance of Love.

Love has no cause;
it is the astrolabe of God’s secrets.

Lover and Loving are inseparable
and timeless.

Although I may try to describe Love
when I experience it I am speechless.

Although I may try to write about Love
I am rendered helpless;

my pen breaks and the paper slips away
at the ineffable place
where Lover, Loving and Loved are one.

Every moment is made glorious
by the light of Love.

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Love Poems of Rumi, Rumi, Deepak Chopra (Editor), Fereydoun Kia (Translator)
علت عاشق ز علتها جداست عشق اصطرلاب اسرار خداست
Love has no cause; it is the astrolabe of God’s secrets.
عاشقی گر زین سر و، گر زان سر است عاقبت ما را بدان شه رهبر است
Lover and Loving are inseparable, and timeless.
هر چه گویم عشق را شرح و بیان چون به عشق آیم خجل گردم از آن
Although I may try to write about Love, I am rendered helpless;
گر چه تفسیر زبان روشنگر است لیك عشق بی زبان روشنتر است
Although I may try to describe Love
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
Jun 22, 2015 Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU by: Diamond Cowboy
***3.5 StArS***

**I*N*S*P*I*R*I*N*G** &

**J.U.S.T.***A***L*I*T*T*L*E***B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L**

Shokufeh شکوفه  Kavani کاوانی
Yes, the cause of all human emotional sicknesses is lack of love.
Ala'a Ahmed
Feb 28, 2014 Ala'a Ahmed rated it really liked it
كتاب قصير وجميل يحتوى على مجموعة قصائد فى الحب والحياة ..
أعجبنتى القصيدة :

You are the drop, and the ocean.
You are kindness, you are anger,
You are sweetness, you are poison.
Do not make me more disheartened.
You are the chamber of the Sun,
You are the abode of Venus,
You are the garden of all hope.
Oh, Beloved, let me enter.
You are daylight, you are fasting,
You are the fruit of misery,
You are water, you are the bowl,
Oh, give me some water this time.
You are the grain of wheat, the snare,
You are the w
Chris_P
Rumi's poems are the proof that some things in life are simply timeless. Other than that, they're too "rainbows and butterflies" for my taste.
Taymara Jagmohan
Mar 15, 2012 Taymara Jagmohan rated it liked it
Rumi is splendid. He's not a paragon however, but this is a beautiful, short read for a Sunny Afternoon.

What have you learnt Taymara?

I didn't learn a lot, but these are the poems that amazed me. Riveted in these are pristine, magnificent meanings.

*We are all the same.*
Listen to the reeds as they sway apart;
Hear them speak of lost friends.
At birth, you were cut from your bed,
Crying and grasping in separation.
Everyone listens, knowing your song.
You yearn for others who know your name,
And the wor
Jun 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
So one night I got all hopped up on the idea of getting my poetry collection all entered into goodreads, so spent the evening transporting stacks of books from my shelves to my computer and back, entering ISBNs. Many books I spent some time flipping through, trying to remember if I'd read them all the way through, and if so, what I'd thought of them. This book was so short, I thought, "I should just read it now, and I'll know for sure."

This book was, sadly, a disappointment. It was Rumi, alright
Lori
Lovely little book of poems that my husband bought for me for christmas.
All together now....
Awwwwww....!
Edda
Apr 23, 2014 Edda rated it it was amazing
My heart is on fire!
In my madness
I roam the desert
The flames of my passion
devour the wind and the sky

My cries of longing
My wails of sorrow
are tormenting my soul

You wait
patiently
looking into my intoxicated eyes
You accept my passion
with the serenity of love
You are the master of existence

One day I shall be
a Lover like you
d
Apr 26, 2015 d rated it really liked it
Comentarios y fragmentos para el futuro. El amor es como un ladrón en la noche.

I- Sobre la alquimia como una forma de dialéctica. Elogio de un Dios alquimista.
You are the master alchemist.

You light the fire of love
in earth and sky
in heart and soul
of every being.

Through your loving
existence and nonexistence merge.
All opposites unite.
all that is profane
becomes sacred again. (p. 19)

II- El sueño es humo, el amor y Dios-en-el-cuerpo.
You arouse with your touch
although I can’t see your hands.
You have k
Peach
Apr 07, 2008 Peach rated it it was amazing
I'm reading and re-reading love poems lately, as I'm getting married next month and have been on the hunt for the perfect reading for our ceremony. Rumi, who I always thought of, maybe only by stereotype and not really by truth, as a steady, sort of wise thinker who contemplatively and maturely crafts poems from this noble, truth-holding sort of place, is kind of crazy when it comes to love.

I'd hoped to find a reading that would capture the essence of love in a peaceful and harmonic state: witho
Fredrika Lawson
Jan 24, 2011 Fredrika Lawson is currently reading it
THE GENRE OF THIS BOOK IS POETRY AND REMINDED ME OF MYSELF AT SOME POINTS.IT WAS A POETRY BOOK NTHAT REMINDED ME OF WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH IN PAST RELATIONSHIPS WITH LOVERS AND FRIENDS.THE LOVE POEMS OF RUMI HAD A CHARACTER DEVELOPE THAT MADE THE READER UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS NOT JUST ONE SOUTION TO EVERY PROBLEM. I WISH I WOULD HAVE READ THIS BOOK BEFORE I WENT THROUGH MY PAST EXPERIENCES TO AVOID ALL THE EXTRA ACTIVITY.THE STRUCTURE OF THIS BOOK IS LOVE, FEELINGS, EMOTIONS, AND OBLIGATIONS ...more
Charlie
It frustrates me how much more attention is given in this book to Deepak Chopra, a man who profits off other people's spirituality, than to the thirteenth-century Persian poet who wrote the works Chopra collected here. I also think the poems chosen were a little repetitive, talking on almost every other page about "fiery passion". Maybe this was just an act of bad translating. Some of the poems were really nice, despite knowing they'd likely be better in their original language. One quote I like ...more
Stephanie Kapllani
May 26, 2014 Stephanie Kapllani rated it really liked it
I wish I knew what love like this felt like but I have yet to find it. In the words of Rumi I am currently "reading the myths of love" and someday I hope to become a "mythical lover."

My favorite poems are Lost in the Wilderness, Looking for your Face, Looking for Love, I Am Yours, Do you love me?, The Agony of Lovers, and I Am and Am Not.

"I long to escape the prison of my ego and lose myself in the mountains and desert."
Tuba
Jan 20, 2016 Tuba rated it it was amazing
People want you to be happy.
Don't keep serving them your pain!

If you could untie your wings
and free your soul of jealousy,

you and everyone around you
would fly up like doves.
Fredrika Lawson
THE LOVE POEMS OF RUMI WAS A FANTASTIC POETRY BOOK BY DEEPAK CHOPRA. THE POEMS WERE ALL ABOUT LOVE WHICH HIS TITLE PROVES BUT ALSO ABOUT DIFFERENT RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHERS THAT ARE IN YOUR LIFE OR ACTUALLY YOUR LOVER.
THE TYPE OF POET DEEPAK IS, IS WISE VERY OPEN MINDED AND MAKES THE READER FEEL WHAT HE IS WRITING ABOUT THROUGH HIS WORDS. THE AUTHOR MAKES A READER THINK ABOUT THEIR MISTAKES OR THEIR GOOD TIMES IN A DIFFERENT MATTER HE WOULD BREAK IT DOWN SO THAT ANYONE THAT WAS READING HIS POETR
Laurie Hanan
Apr 26, 2008 Laurie Hanan rated it it was amazing
Wow, what can I possibly say to describe the poetry of Rumi? I couldn't see through my tears as I tried to read. I want to feel the same ecstacy in my connection with God that Rumi felt all those years ago.

In some parts, you'd swear Rumi had been reading A New Earth, back in the 1200's. Or maybe Eckhart Tolle is a fan of Rumi?
Abby
Jan 09, 2009 Abby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, romance, poetry
I was introduced to Rumi in a Middle Eastern Literature class in college. Like so many before me, I fell in love with his passionate, intense, and spiritual poetry. This little book is a must for all romantics, poets, and dreamers. It might just even convert a few cynics out there, too.
Margaret aka serenityblue Jackson
My sister Amanda introduced me to this wonderful poet:)
Joel
Jun 24, 2009 Joel rated it it was amazing
i cannot say enough of Rumi.
a must read...especially if you're a lover.
Ati Lombardi
Feb 07, 2011 Ati Lombardi rated it it was amazing
marvellous...
Munaya Al salhee
5 Stars is little for this one!!!

I was smiling from the start till the end!
I don't know how to describe it, yes it's all poems but I felt connected and O FELT the words if you know what I mean!!
This book you can finish it in one sitting but OMG you don't want it to end and you definitely was to savor every word!!!!
Christiana Hadji
Aug 04, 2016 Christiana Hadji rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, non-greek
Έπρεπε να ακολουθήσω το αρχικό μου ένστικτό και να αποφύγω οτιδήποτε φέρει την υπογραφή του Deepak Chopra. Είμαι σίγουρη πως η ποίηση του Rumi θα ακουγόταν απείρως καλύτερη στην αυθεντική της γλώσσα, (πιθανώς συνοδευόμενη και από λίγη οριεντάλ μουσικούλα;) πριν της αλλάξει τα φώτα ο ψευδο-spiritual γκουρού Deepak Chopra και την μετατρέψει σε στίχους αμερικάνικων καψουροτράγουδων τρίτης κατηγορίας.

Απόσπασμα από το βιβλίο:
My sweetheart
You have aroused my passion
Your touch has filled me with desire
Daniel Lomax
Sep 23, 2012 Daniel Lomax rated it did not like it
I should have known anything Deepak Chopra put his name to would be drivel. It's like the bad poetry of a repressed teenager. I feel this and I feel that, blah blah blah. Free-association in all the wrong places. It does however come across as sincere (and, mercifully, terse).

I also feel like Rumi was not making full use of his time machine by using it to name several of his poems after 20th century pop hits, such as "Looking For Love", "Desire" and "Do You Love Me?".

Hold up! Before you go...I a
Hawra
Mar 26, 2016 Hawra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
تطلق عليه شعر، هو كذلك حتمًا فالشاعرية في الشعور المُحرّض بداخلك ولكن كقارئ عربي يعرف حلاوة الشعر وطراوة الوزن والرنة الموسيقية للأبيات أو الأسطر الشعرية، يجد القصائد بشكل تلقائي أجمل حينما تترجم للغة الأم، العربية. متأكدة حتمًا أن الأبيات أفضل بمراحل باللغات الشرقية لاسيما أنعا هي منبع الشعر الصوفي.

كتاب جلسة واحدة خفيف على القلب والرأس والمعدة، استمتعت بكتابة ترجمتي الخاصة لبعض القصائد.
Austin Wright
Aug 27, 2014 Austin Wright rated it it was ok
Rumi is the best. Why Chopra decided to manipulate his poems I'll never know (C.R.E.A.M.)

Please read literal translations of Rumi!!!

If you're interested, Bernard Lewis' "Music of a distant drum" is amazing and has a real flavor of Rumi and his peoples.

Neveen
Sep 23, 2015 Neveen rated it it was amazing
Beautiful short read Rumi love poems mystic and affinity for the beloved
Shabnam
Sep 10, 2012 Shabnam rated it it was amazing
I think about this book is.... I have my book notes it is a lot of typing but here it is enjoy...

Book Notes:
• It was born Jalal ad-Din Prophet Mohammad was in Persia in the early of the thirteenth century, on the poetry will knowing of Rumi he was named after of the city where he lived to be composed works of the mysticism with the desire that will be inspired countless people in his times with throughout on the centuries. On his poems it will be expressed of the deepest longings in the human he
  • The Subject Tonight Is Love: 60 Wild and Sweet Poems of Hafiz
  • The Sufi Book of Life: 99 Pathways of the Heart for the Modern Dervish
  • The Kabir Book: Forty-Four of the Ecstatic Poems of Kabir
  • The Love Poems of Lord Byron: A Romantic's Passion
  • کبریت خیس
  • Living in the Heart: How to Enter Into the Sacred Space Within the Heart [With CD]
  • Alone with the Alone: Creative Imagination in the Sufism of Ibn 'Arabi
  • Synergetics: Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking
  • Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
  • The Lightning Should Have Fallen on Ghalib: Selected Poems
Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's languages, and he has been described as the most popular poet and the best-selling poet in the United States.

His poetry has influenced Persian literature, but also Turkish, Ottoman Turkish, Azerbaijani, Punjabi, Hindi, and Urdu, as well as the l
More about Jalaluddin Rumi...

“You are the Essence of the Essence,
The intoxication of Love.
I long to sing Your Praises
but stand mute
with the agony of wishing in my heart !”
65 likes
“Looking for Your Face

From the beginning of my life
I have been looking for your face
but today I have seen it

Today I have seen
the charm, the beauty,
the unfathomable grace
of the face
that I was looking for

Today I have found you
and those who laughed
and scorned me yesterday
are sorry that they were not looking
as I did

I am bewildered by the magnificence
of your beauty
and wish to see you
with a hundred eyes

My heart has burned with passion
and has searched forever

and afraid of God
to call it divine

Your fragrant breath
like the morning breeze
has come to the stillness of the garden
You have breathed new life into me
I have become your sunshine
and also your shadow

My soul is screaming in ecstasy
Every fiber of my being
is in love with you

Your effulgence
has lit a fire in my heart
and you have made radiant
for me
the earth and sky

My arrow of love
has arrived at the target
I am in the house of mercy
and my heart