Start by marking “Days of Infamy (Pearl Harbor, #2)” as Want to Read:
Days of Infamy (Pearl Harbor, #2)

Days of Infamy (Pearl Harbor #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  536 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
"Absolutely brilliant! Fast paced and filled with tension and suspense. Every page resonates with the momentous events and great personalities of World War II – and scenes so carefully crafted you feel like you're there. This is a ‘must read' for all who look at history and wonder: "What if…" -- Oliver North, Lt. Col., USMC (Ret.), host of War Stories on the Fox News Chann ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Days of Infamy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days of Infamy

K.D. Absolutely
Mar 09, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, war
Newt Gingrich (born 1943) is an American politician, former speaker of the US House of Representatives and 1995 TIME Magazine Person of the Year. According to Wiki, he is also planning to run under the Republican wing in the 2012 US Presidential elections. How is that for an author of a fictional war book, huh? It is understandable if the book is an inspiring autobiography like The Audacity of Hope by the then Democrat Presidential Candidate Obama but… a historical fiction?

Those who are familiar
Jim
Feb 04, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to "Pearl Harbor" by the same authors. Again, this is a "what if" novel, like their Gettysburg trilogy. Here, Admiral Yamamoto sails with the Japanese Fleet rather than staying behind. For the majority of the firt book, actual facts are kept intact. But, it changes to a true novel when Yamamoto orders the 3rd wave of aircraft to continue the attack on Pearl Harbor.

This book is entirely fiction. Here, Yamamoto goes after the American carriers that were not at Pearl Harbor when
Lisa
Nov 26, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series ... in a strange genre: what WOULD HAVE happened. Not history, though it's based in deep historical fact. The guy did his research and wrote his story based on who the people were and what was going on at the time. What WOULD have happened if the Japanese would have done the third wave of attack on Pearl Harbor??? Fun to think about... I enjoyed his writing style, too, and his characters stuck with you.

Excerpt:

"He felt as if there were two of him sitting there. There was him, th
Ben Martin
May 06, 2013 Ben Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Days of Infamy is the second book in the Pacific War series. It begins where Pearl Harbor, the first book, left off. The man in charge of the Japanese fleet who has just attacked Pearl Harbor is named Yamamoto. The Japanese failed to get their formal declaration of war to the U.S. before the attacks. Which allowed the U.S. to deem them as ‘sneak attacks’. Yamamoto decides to attack again with the hope of provoking a counter-attack by the U.S., because he knows they have three carriers in the Pa ...more
Gregory Mcdonald
A fun and exciting read. This is Newt and William's sequel to the also very enjoyable Pearl Harbor. That book was mostly setup,dealing with American,British,and especially Japanese culture,attitudes,stratigies,and aims in the run up to the Pearl Harbor attack of Dec 7 1941. This book is about the naval and air battles that took place after the attacks in this altered timeline. The action is intense and very believable,and since we are dealing with events that differ from what happened in our his ...more
Paul Lunger
May 31, 2013 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In "Days of Infamy", Newt Gingrich & William R. Fortschen tell of an alternate version of the events that unfolded at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. In this alternate history, the Japanese do in fact launch the 3rd wave against the island of Oahu with devastating losses for the Americans. The book itself is almost a play-by-play of events in Hawaii & Washington with people on board the fleet, on the ground & at the White House as things unfold & information slowly makes it's way e ...more
Wally
Mar 17, 2014 Wally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent follow up to his first book on the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Well written and thorough thought of what if book... Sadly this history is fading from the American's attention span. I highly recommend all of Mr. Gingrich's writings.
Steven Raszewski
Jan 03, 2014 Steven Raszewski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but I like Turtledove's and Conroy's of same title a little better.
Eric
Jan 15, 2011 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Chen
Feb 25, 2015 Alan Chen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, owned
It's actually the second in the series, detailing the aftermath of the attack and the chess match of admirals as the US tries to launch counterstrikes and the Japanese try to finish off the US Pacific Fleet. Though I didn't read the first book, I found this worked well as a stand-alone book, a in media res telling setup well by the first few chapters, which provide a cursory overview of the previous book's events and indicate the new direction this universe has taken.

The action is exciting. The
Nicholas Mosley
Mar 27, 2013 Nicholas Mosley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
December 7, 1941 will be a day that will live in infamy. That was the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, launching the United States into World War 2 and forever changing the world. When the Japanese launched the sneak attack, the got in return something never expected. This book starts at the beginning of the attack through civilians located on the island and follows with American soldiers and high ranking officers. Days of Infamy tells a gripping story as the U.S was launched into war tha ...more
Don
I would recommend this book to the audience interested in WWII. As with Forstchen and Gingrich's alternative history Gettysburg series, this one also considers what might have happened if one decision had changed. In this case what if the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor had included a third wave that took out the dry docks and oil storage?

As expected the authors know their time period. Having read hundreds of books about WWII, the story reads accurately. Someone already familiar with history alr
Donna
Jul 27, 2015 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made the mistake of thinking this was a fictionalized interpretation of actual events. Which is what I prefer and need. I'm still learning my history! This is an alternate version and would be great for those who know their facts and like to wonder "what if". The Japanese imagined dialogs definitely made for interesting reading.
Adam
Oct 29, 2010 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story that places you into the fictitious 3rd attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese. Lots of action and suspense as the American carriers and aircraft remaining after the attack hunt for the remaining Japanese carriers in the Pacific. Some say that Japan had actually thought about continuing the attacks and even invading the cities in Hawaii. This book makes me thankful that on Dec 7 1941 the Japanese left after 2 attacks.

I look a Newt on Fox News and read his other opinions and
Frances
Jul 03, 2008 Frances rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
STRANGE AS A BABY AT THE TIME OF PEARL HARBOR I NEVER KNEW WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED AFTER THE INITAL ATTACK ON THE HARBOR. IT REALLY OPENED BY EYES. MY FATHER WAS A GUNNER ON ONE OF OUR BATTLESHIPS DURING WWII AND I HAVE FAMILY CURRENTLY THAT ARE NAVY MEN. ONE SON IN LAW WAS A LT COMMANDER IN THE GULF WAR. THE DISCRIPTIONS WERE VERY REAL AND ALTHOUGH A WORK OF FICTION I FEEL I HAVE A MUCH BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HISTORY AND THE MEN WHO FIGHT TO PROTECT OUR COUNTRY. THE PAIN AND LOYALTY OF THE AMER ...more
Nachman Kataczinsky
A good sequel to Pearl harbor. This one has been edit, not well but much better than the first book. In all an enjoyable read.
Barry
May 21, 2008 Barry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-flavored
Book 2 of the trilogy- a contrafactual- What if the Japanese had hit Pearl Harbor with 3 raids instead of two- and finished the job. How would the war have played out? Raises questions we normally don't consider- would the US have preferred an alliance with anti communist Japan- over Russia? Some parallels with the current military and political situation in Iraq- woven just under the surface

This one is a naval action page turner- the emergence of a different kind of Naval and air power war- A G
Dave
Jul 22, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book online on title alone and missed that it was fiction. I was already talking about it to a colleague when I realized that battleships didn't shell Hawaii. It moves well and focuses on a few characters, mostly Americans, to help make the story personal.

This is a book for those who like the historical questions, what if? In this case it is, what if Japan tried to attack Hawaii in a way that was in keeping with their strategic objectives.
Jonathan
Jul 20, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the story, how if things had been done differently what might have happened. It was punchy fast read, I started it yesterday and am done with it today. It looks like it might be part of a series though, I will have to check, because the story picks up immediately after the recovery of the Japanese planes from their "third attack wave" on Pearl Harbor. The author also hints that more books will be written following this one
Brian
Aug 22, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to completely made up, mostly speculative, probably ghost written, historical fiction, don't look for it to come from frogs or salamanders.

You need a Newt.

I read it's predecessor in one sitting, then waited for this to come out a year later and read it in one shot. The fun part of these is that I usually ended up getting them on memorial day weekend. It made for a great holiday.
Curmudgeon66
Sep 07, 2009 Curmudgeon66 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd in the Series of WWII books by Newt. Very much in the style of WEB Griffin. It ends too suddenly, I wanted more. I guess that's a trick to get me to buy their next one, but from the little bit they added, I wonder if the next book is about the American war of independence.

A fun escapest read for someone who enjoys military themed books.
Tony Garcia
Jan 04, 2010 Tony Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one in 3 days. Surprisingly, I have read 5 of Newt Gingrich's books and have really enjoyed all of them. The alternate history aspect of them are just very entertaining. This one was pretty suspenseful and did make you think about what could have been if things had gone differently during Pearl Harbor.
John Worthington
I am not a big fan of reworking history. This was a story about the bombing of Pearl Harbor and how the outcome may have been different if the Japanese would have brought their senior admiral to control the fight. The book did give me some more insights into the major personalities of that day.
Terry Moffitt
Like Gingrich and Forschen's other books Days of Infamy is brilliant what if history book. Well researched and presented by two of the master of active history. Can't wait to see the third book in the series. My complaint - they keep me hanging by waiting too long between books.
Susan Kingsley
Oct 08, 2008 Susan Kingsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to read this after finishing Pearl Harbor. The pages brought the real terror of war to life. Thank goodness the Japanese weren't as focused and attuned as these authors! I had to keep reminding myself ...."it didn't really happen this way!"
Dan Morrill
The sequel to Pearl Harbor...it seemed to lose a little steam for me. I think that it was just time to end the story when Pearl Harbor finished. I loved the first book, but this one was just a little drawn out...
Steven
Dec 27, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wwii
First Gingrich book I've ever read. The book was well written and I enjoyed it greatly. I suggest that others set aside any political predispositions that they have and read this book if they are interested in WWII.
Matthew
Jul 14, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, action
I thought that this was a great book. I do not read many historical fiction books. It is hard to separatel the history for the fiction for some. This had some predictable characters but I enjoyed it.
Suzi
Nov 11, 2008 Suzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
This was a great sequel to Pearl Harbor. I'm a little worn out on war, so it's good they don't have the next book out yet. I've learned a lot about WWII and our relationship with Japan.
J.T. Kalnay
Aug 10, 2012 J.T. Kalnay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another alternative history book that asks "what if?"
I love this type of book, and thought this was really good in its genre.
Not as good as the Gettysburgh books, but pretty darn good.
  • Rising Sun
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • End of the Beginning (Days of Infamy, #2)
  • The War in 2020
  • Partners in Command: George Marshall & Dwight Eisenhower in War & Peace
  • More Than Courage (Nathan Dixon, #3)
  • 1824: The Arkansas War (Trail of Glory, #2)
  • Pacific Glory (World War 2 Navy)
  • Victory
  • Fire and Fury: The Allied Bombing of Germany, 1942-1945
  • Rising Sun Victorious: An Alternate History of the Pacific War
  • A Gathering of Spies
  • Seas of Crisis (Jeffrey Fuller, #6)
  • Americans at War
Newton Leroy "Newt" Gingrich (born Newton Leroy McPherson) is an American politician who served as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. In 1995, Time magazine selected him as the Person of the Year for his role in leading the Republican Revolution in the House, ending 40 years of the Democratic Party being in the majority. During his tenure as Speaker, he re ...more
More about Newt Gingrich...

Pearl Harbor (2 books)
  • Pearl Harbor (Pearl Harbor, #1)