Start by marking “Egyptian Magic” as Want to Read:
Egyptian Magic

Egyptian Magic

Everything known about magic in ancient Egypt: the role of magic in controlling the gods, powerful amulets that warded off evil spirits, scarabs of immortality, use of wax images, formulas & spells, the secret name, etc.
Preface
Antiquity of magical practices in Egypt
Magical stones or amulets
Magical figures
Magical pictures & formulæ, spells etc.
Magical names
Magic
Published June 1st 1971 by Dover Publications, Inc. (NY) (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Egyptian Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egyptian Magic

Jeannette Jackson
Aug 25, 2012 Jeannette Jackson rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book that I often refer to at times when I am seeking answers in relation to Egyptian beliefs and rituals..I have many aha moments of insight that have been triggered after seeking it's assistance.. As a Master Energy Healer myself it certainly is a welcome friend along my path. I have a deep respect for E A Wallis Budge, great read for those that have parallel interests in this field of study and work, but a not so good read for the mainstream mindsets.
Varmint
Feb 19, 2008 Varmint rated it liked it
My old instructors would ramble on as to how irrelevant Budge had become. His translations were iffy, his chronology off. The books no longer taken seriously by academics.

Budge has survived because he is readable. His writing stands after a hundred years. While most of my instructors couldn't go twenty minutes without putting half the class into a coma.
Daniel G.
Jun 15, 2012 Daniel G. rated it it was amazing
I'm very impressed. No question Budge's work is dated. Goodness, it was written in 1899; however, he is readable. And, if you've done much reading in the field of Egyptology, you can find he has the occasional surprising insight, the little detail, that he adds to your collective knowledge about ancient Egypt. As to the translation itself, I certainly don't read any of the Egyptian scripts, having done nothing more than toy with them. But I admire him for an admission he makes in the preface to ...more
Keitra
Apr 27, 2014 Keitra rated it it was ok
Shelves: witch-studies
I'm sad to say that I have to agree with the others who said this book was boring. I always find when I read that, I enjoy the books. This time, they were so, painfully right.

It felt like Budge was mocking the Egyptians for their beliefs. Also, most of the book was just quoted from the Bible and the Book of the Dead. Pages and pages of quoted material. I could just pick up those books if I wanted those stories. Please, tell me something new.

There was literally only one piece of information tha
G.A. Wilson
Aug 12, 2014 G.A. Wilson rated it liked it
'Egyptian Magic' was first published in 1895 and the language is very much of that era. In its time, the book was an authoritative work on ancient Egyptian magic and occult practices. It contains interesting information on amulets, scarabs, spells, ghosts and mind control. Tales of magic have also been included, as well as an interpretation of the ancient Egyptian calendar. There are also some good illustrations.

I enjoyed leafing through this book, but mostly from a writer's point of view. I was
David Leroy
Jul 25, 2013 David Leroy rated it really liked it
Great little book about the concepts behind ancient Egyptian Magic. The book was written in 1901, so long before the advent of the new age movement, or discoveries in quantum physics, so none of that stuff influenced the writer. It was very interesting to read about the religious ideas regarding words, names, ceremonies, statues, and the universe.
K AKUA GRAY
May 07, 2016 K AKUA GRAY rated it really liked it
Reading history is a fun past time for me. I enjoy the time travel and nostalgia. to return to a great time in history especially a time as far back as ancient Kemet (the original name of Egypt) is of great interest to me because it is a past dear to my essence being a descendant of such a great people. The title of this book is quite alluring considering what the world already knows about Egypt's past greatness and how even today the land and its monuments are consider magical just to behold, b ...more
Stephen Simpson
Dec 13, 2015 Stephen Simpson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
It's practically mandatory that any review of a book written by Budge has to mention that he was, at best, a questionable scholar, a lot of his theories/writings have been discredited, and so on. That said, he was an accessible writer who wrote on a wide range of subjects regarding Ancient Egypt.

I haven't come across too many books about the Egyptian attitudes and practices regarding magic. This book doesn't go into much detail, but it at least touches on some of the major points. It's a decent
Debby
Sep 05, 2016 Debby rated it really liked it
Very interesting historic background on amulets, superstitions, and more. I was particularly interested to learn that so many aspects went into making a person: body, heart, name, ka (twin, soul), shadow, akh (ego), ba, etc.
Joe
Jan 10, 2009 Joe rated it it was ok
Shelves: witchcraft
Describes some of the Egyptian rituals. Most of these are violent and used to gain power over their enemies.

-Joe-
Zoe Forward
Jan 13, 2013 Zoe Forward rated it liked it
A bit convoluted but having read several of E.A. Budge's books this one is by far the easiest to follow. Highly informative.
Lizzy
Jan 04, 2016 Lizzy rated it really liked it
Interesting, but I've read from other people into A.E. that this is not an accurate historical account of A.E. I guess that's why it can be found on Amazon for 1.99.
Kath
Kath rated it it was ok
Sep 02, 2012
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2010
Sincock
Sincock rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
GaryandRuth
GaryandRuth rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2010
Kylie Day
Kylie Day rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2017
Dennis Hart
Dennis Hart rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2011
Tamara Rose
Tamara Rose rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2008
Barbie
Barbie rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2007
Derek Dewitt
Derek Dewitt rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Miglena
Miglena rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
Alex Barraco
Alex Barraco rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2012
Bojana Djuric
Bojana Djuric rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2007
Alexander
Alexander rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2012
Luke Cady
Luke Cady rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Ravyn Shadowdrake
Ravyn Shadowdrake rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2008
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2009
It was good, but.... 5 7 Mar 12, 2013 07:38PM
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation, Including the Demotic Spells, Volume 1
  • Water Spirits (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Liber Kaos
  • The History of Magic
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • الطب المصري القديم
  • Liber Aleph Vel CXI: The Book of Wisdom or Folly, in the Form an Epistle of 666, the Great Wild Beast to His Son 777, Being the Equinox, Volume III Number VI
  • Tutankhamun: The Untold Story
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts
  • The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Celtic Wisdom
  • The Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge was an English Egyptologist, Orientalist, and philologist who worked for the British Museum and published numerous works on the ancient Near East.
More about E.A. Wallis Budge...