Start by marking “Egyptian Magic” as Want to Read:
Egyptian Magic

Egyptian Magic

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Everything known about magic in ancient Egypt: the role of magic in controlling the gods, powerful amulets that warded off evil spirits, scarabs of immortality, use of wax images, formulas & spells, the secret name, etc.
Preface
Antiquity of magical practices in Egypt
Magical stones or amulets
Magical figures
Magical pictures & formulæ, spells etc.
Magical names
Magic...more
Published June 1st 1971 by Dover Publications, Inc. (NY) (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Egyptian Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egyptian Magic

Varmint
My old instructors would ramble on as to how irrelevant Budge had become. His translations were iffy, his chronology off. The books no longer taken seriously by academics.

Budge has survived because he is readable. His writing stands after a hundred years. While most of my instructors couldn't go twenty minutes without putting half the class into a coma.
Keitra
I'm sad to say that I have to agree with the others who said this book was boring. I always find when I read that, I enjoy the books. This time, they were so, painfully right.

It felt like Budge was mocking the Egyptians for their beliefs. Also, most of the book was just quoted from the Bible and the Book of the Dead. Pages and pages of quoted material. I could just pick up those books if I wanted those stories. Please, tell me something new.

There was literally only one piece of information tha...more
Daniel G.
I'm very impressed. No question Budge's work is dated. Goodness, it was written in 1899; however, he is readable. And, if you've done much reading in the field of Egyptology, you can find he has the occasional surprising insight, the little detail, that he adds to your collective knowledge about ancient Egypt. As to the translation itself, I certainly don't read any of the Egyptian scripts, having done nothing more than toy with them. But I admire him for an admission he makes in the preface to...more
G.A. Wilson
'Egyptian Magic' was first published in 1895 and the language is very much of that era. In its time, the book was an authoritative work on ancient Egyptian magic and occult practices. It contains interesting information on amulets, scarabs, spells, ghosts and mind control. Tales of magic have also been included, as well as an interpretation of the ancient Egyptian calendar. There are also some good illustrations.

I enjoyed leafing through this book, but mostly from a writer's point of view. I was...more
Jeannette Jackson
This is an awesome book that I often refer to at times when I am seeking answers in relation to Egyptian beliefs and rituals..I have many aha moments of insight that have been triggered after seeking it's assistance.. As a Master Energy Healer myself it certainly is a welcome friend along my path. I have a deep respect for E A Wallis Budge, great read for those that have parallel interests in this field of study and work, but a not so good read for the mainstream mindsets.
David Leroy
Great little book about the concepts behind ancient Egyptian Magic. The book was written in 1901, so long before the advent of the new age movement, or discoveries in quantum physics, so none of that stuff influenced the writer. It was very interesting to read about the religious ideas regarding words, names, ceremonies, statues, and the universe.
Zoe Forward
A bit convoluted but having read several of E.A. Budge's books this one is by far the easiest to follow. Highly informative.
Joe
Describes some of the Egyptian rituals. Most of these are violent and used to gain power over their enemies.

-Joe-
Glenda
Could barely get through this one. Wow was it boring!
Davin
Amazing shit
Aravind
Aravind marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Rupesh
Rupesh marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Narizinho Josiane
Narizinho Josiane marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Amin Herold
Amin Herold marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Nino Lobjanidze
Nino Lobjanidze marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Jerry Mooney
Jerry Mooney marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Paakhi Srivastava
Paakhi Srivastava marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Bridgette
Bridgette marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
essi zephyr
essi zephyr is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Aug 17, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
It was good, but.... 5 6 Mar 12, 2013 07:38PM
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings
  • Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Real Magic
  • Isis Unveiled
  • The Lost Tomb
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • Keeper of Genesis: A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge was an English Egyptologist, Orientalist, and philologist who worked for the British Museum and published numerous works on the ancient Near East.
More about E.A. Wallis Budge...
The Egyptian Book of the Dead The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 1 Egyptian Language: Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vol. 1 The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 2