Egyptian Magic

Egyptian Magic

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Everything known about magic in ancient Egypt: the role of magic in controlling the gods, powerful amulets that warded off evil spirits, scarabs of immortality, use of wax images, formulas & spells, the secret name, etc.
Preface
Antiquity of magical practices in Egypt
Magical stones or amulets
Magical figures
Magical pictures & formulæ, spells etc.
Magical names
Magic...more
Published June 1st 1971 by Dover Publications, Inc. (NY) (first published 1901)

Varmint
My old instructors would ramble on as to how irrelevant Budge had become. His translations were iffy, his chronology off. The books no longer taken seriously by academics.

Budge has survived because he is readable. His writing stands after a hundred years. While most of my instructors couldn't go twenty minutes without putting half the class into a coma.
Keitra
I'm sad to say that I have to agree with the others who said this book was boring. I always find when I read that, I enjoy the books. This time, they were so, painfully right.

It felt like Budge was mocking the Egyptians for their beliefs. Also, most of the book was just quoted from the Bible and the Book of the Dead. Pages and pages of quoted material. I could just pick up those books if I wanted those stories. Please, tell me something new.

There was literally only one piece of information tha...more
Daniel G.
I'm very impressed. No question Budge's work is dated. Goodness, it was written in 1899; however, he is readable. And, if you've done much reading in the field of Egyptology, you can find he has the occasional surprising insight, the little detail, that he adds to your collective knowledge about ancient Egypt. As to the translation itself, I certainly don't read any of the Egyptian scripts, having done nothing more than toy with them. But I admire him for an admission he makes in the preface to...more
Jeannette Jackson
This is an awesome book that I often refer to at times when I am seeking answers in relation to Egyptian beliefs and rituals..I have many aha moments of insight that have been triggered after seeking it's assistance.. As a Master Energy Healer myself it certainly is a welcome friend along my path. I have a deep respect for E A Wallis Budge, great read for those that have parallel interests in this field of study and work, but a not so good read for the mainstream mindsets.
David Leroy
Great little book about the concepts behind ancient Egyptian Magic. The book was written in 1901, so long before the advent of the new age movement, or discoveries in quantum physics, so none of that stuff influenced the writer. It was very interesting to read about the religious ideas regarding words, names, ceremonies, statues, and the universe.
Zoe Forward
A bit convoluted but having read several of E.A. Budge's books this one is by far the easiest to follow. Highly informative.
Joe
Describes some of the Egyptian rituals. Most of these are violent and used to gain power over their enemies.

-Joe-
Glenda
Could barely get through this one. Wow was it boring!
Davin
Amazing shit
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Kellie Ferguson
Kellie Ferguson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Wisdom Web Networking
Wisdom Web Networking marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sean Brown
Sean Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Rajveer Rv
Rajveer Rv marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jesse Jesse
Jesse Jesse marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Ofhalfblood
Ofhalfblood marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
It was good, but.... 5 6 Mar 12, 2013 07:38PM
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings
  • Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • Real Magic
  • Isis Unveiled
  • The Lost Tomb
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • Keeper of Genesis: A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge was an English Egyptologist, Orientalist, and philologist who worked for the British Museum and published numerous works on the ancient Near East.
More about E.A. Wallis Budge...
The Egyptian Book of the Dead The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 1 Egyptian Language: Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vol. 1 The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 2