Start by marking “Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results” as Want to Read:
Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results

Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"How any organization in any industry can progress from old-fashioned management by results to a strikingly different and better way."--James P. Womack, Chairman and Founder, Lean Enterprise Institute. This game-changing book puts you behind the curtain of Toyota, providing new insight into the legendary automaker's management practices and offering practical guidance for ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by McGraw-Hill (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Toyota Kata, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Management 3.0 by Jurgen AppeloFlow by Mihaly CsikszentmihalyiDrive by Daniel H. PinkThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesAgile by André Faria Gomes
Agile Brazil 2013
9th out of 67 books — 21 voters
Drive by Daniel H. PinkCoaching Agile Teams by Lyssa AdkinsThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesThe Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
Agile Coaching
56th out of 89 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

David McClendon, Sr
Toyota Kata is about how Toyota has been able to maintain the lead over most manufacturers in the world. The term “Kata” can be defined as the Japanese word for a detailed, choreographed group of patterns that are repeated over and over as a system. In redneck terms it would be “You always do it like this.”

The author, Mike Rother, spent over six years studying how Toyota does things. One thing that he sought to find out is why, if other companies copy Toyota step for step, they can’t excel wher
Yuval Yeret
Followers of the blog might recall an early new year resolution to get more value from I read. Well the new year is with us, but this post is about returning debt from 2011. Toyota Kata is MY 2011 book of the year. It started me on a lot of thinking streaks and opened a lot of threads for how to effectively do my job as a Lean/Agile consultant. I have to say that many threads are still open. But I recently reread some sections of the book, and it’s about time to talk about it a bit, especially s ...more
Vergiliu
I had a "slow start" when reading this book, but I find it pretty interesting if one would consider software (or more generic the entire IT spectrum) the point of view of looking at the issues and how to solve them.
The book, as the name implies, is focussed on the Toyota manufacturing process, but its ideas and best-practices can be applied to mostly everything. I think this is a great book considering how to approach improvements in daily work routine, especially if we ignore its strong focus o
David S
A novel way of diving deeper into the improvement of business processes by viewing continuous improvement as the cultivation of daily habits.
Muwaffaq
A great book for anybody looking to building a corporate culture of self improvement. There are no easy answers here but the strength in finding simple/processes solutions by teaching people to find the answer for themselves is the objective the book it trying to outline. It is the emphasis on teaching and coaching of the individuals that enables them to arrive at better solutions themselves. The philosophy is sound - the implementation in practise is going to be tricky.......
Torben Rasmussen
How do you make an organisation able to continuously improve and adapt? And more importantly: How do you enable the organisation to learn and then teach this ability to all people in the organisation - forever changing its culture.
Mike Rother does not explicitly state this as his goal, but more modestly he aims to give a - under the covers - look at how Toyota has answered these questions.
While the focus of examples is on manufacturing the book has implications for management of all types of o
Stephen Jarman
Feb 17, 2015 Stephen Jarman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PSbM Practitioners
Shelves: psbm
I've been reading this off/on for several weeks and find some very solid examples of the improvement kata and coaching kata, which have not (to my knowledge)been written about in such a concise but detailed way by any other author (even Liker).
Aaron
This book was difficult to get into, understand, and apply. Most of the other lean books I have read have been fairly straightforward tales of the success (and sometimes failures) of lean. They were accessible and easy to read. This one was much more academic; it was theories and systems that the author seems to have reached deep into Toyota to figure out. I get what he was trying to say - the Toyota Production System has another component that is not copied by most companies. Toyota also has a ...more
Craig
Had some interesting insights, but nothing that seemed new or very deep. Much of what is presented seems fairly intuitive, though perhaps I've simply had good management and mentorship in my career.
Jason
There doesn't seem to be much of value in this book, apart from "set targets, then adjust your processes towards achieving those targets."
Anna
A really interesting look at pursuing excellence.
Luke Kanies
Definitely worth reading, and depending on the reader, could be fantastic.

It's all about building a culture and process for continuous improvement. I expect the theory is better than the reality, and I'm skeptical a random person could read this and do much, but it makes clear the value of focusing on long-term, continuous improvement rather than any one technique or system. Just as applicable to any other endeavor as to building cars.
Mike Arvela
Contains a few gems and some good general advice, but would have benefited from ruthless editing: the book contains a lot of nonsense figures and many of the points are repeated 3-5 times. At times it felt like reading an academic article that contains filler phrases just because a certain page count had to be met. Nothing in this book that wouldn't have fit into a third of its length!
Mark Schisler
Excellent view of what makes the largest, most profitable automobile company so successful. The author's thesis is that it is their ability to harness the power of quick experiments and feedback cycles, always stretching themselves to improve their performance. The book is written from the perspective of a man who has spent a career in training people in the Toyota Kata.
Anton Van der vloet
This book offers a very simple model, which is scientific in nature (ie. it works, whether you believe it or not), but which is really hard to master in practice. I'm at it now for half a year and still learning every time I practice the coaching kata. On my "deserted island" list for sure!!
Ben Royal
Wish I had this book 25 years ago - would have eliminated a lot of dead ends and grief. This is the book for "managing people for improvement." Step-by-step and the reasons why. Rother is one of the preeminent writers on lean. And don't let the Toyota in the title throw you in light of recent issues on their cars.
Lauri
I really enjoyed this book because it was very accessible and made a ton of sense. It is a no-brainer that The hardest part will be convincing people to change their "kata", or routines, but, isn't it always?
Steven
IMHO, this volume and Leadership & Self Deception and The Anatomy of Peace (both by the Arbinger Institute) are the only management books worth reading.
Aaron Bolin
A useful way to recast some of the lean six sigma materials from a collection of tools into a process that uses tools.
Andreas Aris
Toyota's rules. Good at theory, not bad on street. But, it's worth reading, anyway ...
Miguel Hernandez
Bad To read unless you're an industrial engineer or are really into management...
Henry Hawthorne
Great book on how to think and manage lean, rather than how to "do" lean.
Louise Oskam
Essential reading for any serious Lean Practitioner
Denise Henry
A lot of repetition.
Matthew Horvat
Oct 24, 2009 Matthew Horvat marked it as to-read
Christmas is coming...
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Simon Vocella
Simon Vocella marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Yang Chu
Yang Chu marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Gabriele Tondi
Gabriele Tondi marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
LeanCor: Toyota Kata 1 1 Jul 25, 2012 09:15AM
  • Managing to Learn: Using the A3 Management Process to Solve Problems, Gain Agreement, Mentor and Lead
  • Toyota Culture: The Heart and Soul of the Toyota Way
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Leading Lean Software Development: Results Are Not the Point
  • Understanding A3 Thinking: A Critical Component of Toyota's Pdca Management System
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Gemba Kaizen: A Commonsense, Low-Cost Approach to Management
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Commitment
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work / Navigating Life
  • How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
  • The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
Learning to See Version 1.3 Creating Continuous Flow: An Action Guide for Managers, Engineers and Production Associates Learning to See: Value Stream Mapping to Add Value and Eliminate MUDA Learning To See (Spanish Edition) / Observar Para Crear Valor Aprendendo a Enxergar

“As discussed in Chapter 1, there is a human tendency to desire and even artificially create a sense of certainty. It is conceivable that the point here is not that we do not see the problems in our processes, but rather that we do not want to see them because that would undermine the sense of certainty we have about how our factory is working. It would mean that some of our assumptions, some things we have worked for and are attached to, may not be true.” 0 likes