Start by marking “Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, Drama, and Writing, Portable Edition (11th Edition)” as Want to Read:

Literature, Portable Edition, 11/e, features four lightweight, paperback volumesâ��Fiction, Poetry, Drama, and Writingâ��packed in a slipcase. The material is presented in a newly revised, easier to study format and inlcudes MLA’s latest guidelines. Conversations between Dana Gioia and celebrated fiction writer Amy Tan, current U. S. Poet Laureate Kay Ryan, and contemporar

Published July 19th 2009 by Longman (first published 1979)

Lauren
Jul 29, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
after 30 years, still refreshing!
Grace
Feb 22, 2017 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have finished the required passages needed for my English class.
Including:
10. Revelation
11. Everyday Use
12. A Goodman Is Hard to Find
13. Teenage Wasteland

Because of the themes of forgiveness and culture and motifs of music used, mixed with beautiful imagery and emotional words, Sonny's Blues continues to be my favorite
Shannaus
Oct 18, 2016 Shannaus marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
interesting to read poetry.
Windy
May 22, 2009 Windy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I'm a bit in love with this book right now. So many of the plays or short stories I had planned on teaching next year are included, making my life so much easier. And, after all, that's what a textbook is supposed to do, right? What a novel concept!

I enjoy the variety in the literature selections, even the poetry. For example, here's what I'm getting out of parenthood thanks to this anthology:

For My Daughter
by Weldon Kees

Looking into my daughter's eyes I read
Beneath the innocence of morning fles
Robin
Dec 09, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
As a student, I enjoyed this textbook. The collection of short stories, poetry, and plays was top quality. It had valuable examples of various different types of essays. It had a lot of helpful information on academic writing. The only thing that bothered me was that some of that information was the same for writing about short stories as it was for writing about poems or plays. Instead of writing the information once, and referring back to it when necessary, they rewrote entire chapters (nearly ...more
Jessica
Dec 25, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for a college class.

What I can recall that I read (in the Fiction book) was Edgar Allen Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart", and "The Masque of the Red Death". I also read: "The Things They Carried", "The Necklace", "A Rose for Emily", and "The Lottery".

I can't recall exactly what I read in the Poetry book.

In my spare time, I read from the Drama book William Shakespeare's "Othello, The Moor of Venice", "Hamlet, Prince of Denmark", and "A Midsummer Night's Dream".
Ronni
Dec 19, 2010 Ronni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Basically this is a good book in terms of gathering a lot of "required reading" in one book. Full of stuff I've read in HS and college, plus stuff I know other ppl read in school, plus some stuff I'd never heard of that's considered critical, so that's good. The intro texts and auxiliary information, including the questions at the end of most piece,s left a lot to be desired.
Myra Sullivan
Apr 23, 2011 Myra Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read the 11th edition, but the covers look the same. :D It's full of interesting short stories and I thought the bits that the authors put in before each story were helpful in identifying themes/key passages. A pretty good read as far as textbooks go. :)
William M
The book was used in my English Literature 101 course at Liberty University. It carries a wide variety of poems, short stories, and plays. The book can be read as book of literature and not a textbook.
Anna Tatelman
Sep 29, 2010 Anna Tatelman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good textbook with nice collection of stories and poems. Some of the questions it asks about the various texts are rather ridiculous, but it also has some pretty good ones.
Valerie
Nov 04, 2012 Valerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-teach
I am required to teach from this book for one of the lit classes I teach. It's not terrible, but I think there are better anthologies out there, and I'm determined to find them.
~Lyn~
Oct 25, 2007 ~Lyn~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides information about literary theories and approach for analyzing literary work. Some reviews of famous works or authors are also included.
Selena
Jun 14, 2011 Selena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential.
Mark
Nov 29, 2008 Mark marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Reading the poetry sections for a project, and pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying it.
Keyla
Jan 27, 2016 Keyla marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
its good i just needed to read one chapter because the book i order isn't here but its a good book
Fheed Almarry
Feb 17, 2016 Fheed Almarry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: list
Really intersection book
Melissa
reading for comp and lit and enjoying it!
Liz
Mar 28, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great selections of classic and contemporary short stories and poetry.
Julie Lamay
Julie Lamay rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2014
Michelle Pitchford
Michelle Pitchford rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2014
Zelmi Widiyanti
Zelmi Widiyanti rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Ellen Jeffery
Ellen Jeffery rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Dallas
Dallas rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Pia Tomcho
Pia Tomcho rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Anthony Mcknight
Anthony Mcknight rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Ginger
Ginger rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Ty Zeiter
Ty Zeiter rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Michael Colonna
Michael Colonna rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
  • Essentials of Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach
  • Constructions of Deviance: Social Power, Context, and Interaction
  • Government by the People
  • We the People: An Introduction to American Politics
  • The Heath Anthology of American Literature Volume B: Early Nineteenth Century: 1800-1865
  • Aristophanes 1: Clouds/Wasps/Birds
  • Webster's New World Dictionary
  • Dancing Dinos Go to School
  • Realms, Regions and Concepts
  • Hunger’s Brides: A Novel of the Baroque
  • The Yanomamo
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. C: The Restoration & the Eighteenth Century