Start by marking “Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, Drama, and Writing (11th Edition)” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Book by Kennedy, X. J., Gioia, Dana
Published July 19th 2009 by Longman (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literature

Jordan
Sep 16, 2007 Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers interested in exploring Literature of all kinds
This book has great writing and poetry, but also explains how to analyze and also gives tips for writing. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in learning how to analyze writing, either someone else's or your own, or in picking up tips on how to write better take a serious look at this book. To give an idea of who is included and what info you can expect I'm going to create a list below. I'm not going to include every single writer and entry in my list of included works. I'm also goin ...more
Lauren
after 30 years, still refreshing!
Windy
I'm a bit in love with this book right now. So many of the plays or short stories I had planned on teaching next year are included, making my life so much easier. And, after all, that's what a textbook is supposed to do, right? What a novel concept!

I enjoy the variety in the literature selections, even the poetry. For example, here's what I'm getting out of parenthood thanks to this anthology:

For My Daughter
by Weldon Kees

Looking into my daughter's eyes I read
Beneath the innocence of morning fles
Robin
As a student, I enjoyed this textbook. The collection of short stories, poetry, and plays was top quality. It had valuable examples of various different types of essays. It had a lot of helpful information on academic writing. The only thing that bothered me was that some of that information was the same for writing about short stories as it was for writing about poems or plays. Instead of writing the information once, and referring back to it when necessary, they rewrote entire chapters (nearly ...more
Suzy
An excellent compilation and source for literary papers
Jessica
I bought this book for a college class.

What I can recall that I read (in the Fiction book) was Edgar Allen Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart", and "The Masque of the Red Death". I also read: "The Things They Carried", "The Necklace", "A Rose for Emily", and "The Lottery".

I can't recall exactly what I read in the Poetry book.

In my spare time, I read from the Drama book William Shakespeare's "Othello, The Moor of Venice", "Hamlet, Prince of Denmark", and "A Midsummer Night's Dream".
Ronni
Basically this is a good book in terms of gathering a lot of "required reading" in one book. Full of stuff I've read in HS and college, plus stuff I know other ppl read in school, plus some stuff I'd never heard of that's considered critical, so that's good. The intro texts and auxiliary information, including the questions at the end of most piece,s left a lot to be desired.
Myra Khan
I actually read the 11th edition, but the covers look the same. :D It's full of interesting short stories and I thought the bits that the authors put in before each story were helpful in identifying themes/key passages. A pretty good read as far as textbooks go. :)
Erin
Sep 04, 2009 Erin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
We are on the tale end of our books that were carried across the ocean with us. This one came out of a storage box (it was required reading at Koc high school). But it has Flannery O'Connor, Jorge Luis Borges, Raymond Carver, Alice Munro, Dorris Lessing...
Elle
I read Kafka in here for the first time and Hemingway. It's an excellent grab bag text book. Great as a resource and to get your feet wet as a reader and writer. Also the entire plays of Shakespeare's Macbeth and Hamlet are in here, AWESOME!
Kate
Aug 14, 2008 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who was scared off by their high school english teachers, as was I.
Shelves: teaching-tools
since i've never actually been in a college literature class of any sort, this book is my new best friend whilst teaching my tenacious middle schoolers. the poetry comes naturally to me, but this book is saving my ass in fiction lessons.
Anna Tatelman
Good textbook with nice collection of stories and poems. Some of the questions it asks about the various texts are rather ridiculous, but it also has some pretty good ones.
Valerie
I am required to teach from this book for one of the lit classes I teach. It's not terrible, but I think there are better anthologies out there, and I'm determined to find them.
~Lyn~
This book provides information about literary theories and approach for analyzing literary work. Some reviews of famous works or authors are also included.
Alyssa Wayt
Nov 11, 2012 Alyssa Wayt marked it as maybe-read  ·  review of another edition
I think that this will be a summer read, as it is 1500 pages. But I am so excited to read it! (:
Melissa
Really enjoyed the short story section. Pretty helpful for my rusty paper writing skills.
Mark C.
Oct 21, 2011 Mark C. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Reading the poetry sections for a project, and pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying it.
Liz
Great selections of classic and contemporary short stories and poetry.
Christopher Brehm
Used as my college Freshman English II textbook
Melissa
reading for comp and lit and enjoying it!
Mariashemmela
Mariashemmela marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Romlan
Romlan marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Tian
Tian marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature: Volumes A & B
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • The Norton Anthology Of Literature By Women: The Traditions In English
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature
  • The Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces
  • Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • Writing Analytically
  • Essentials of Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach
  • The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry
  • Webster's New World Dictionary
  • Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic : Level 1 (Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course)
  • The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea
  • Biology: Concepts & Connections
  • Biological Psychology
  • Ways of Reading: An Anthology for Writers
Knock at a Star: A Child's Introduction to Poetry An Introduction to Poetry The Owlstone Crown Talking Like the Rain: A Read-to-Me Book of Poems The Bedford Reader