Almost Like Being in Love

Almost Like Being in Love (Lost Texas Hearts #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,066 ratings  ·  57 reviews
As the middle child, Pepper Prescott's rebellious nature helped her survive when her parents disappeared and she and her siblings were sent to different foster homes around the country. Now an independent young woman, Pepper finds herself on the run after witnessing a shooting. Fearing for her life, Pepper flees to the only place she ever considered home and is shocked to...more
Audio CD
Published January 29th 2010 by Brilliance Corporation (first published May 25th 2004)

Shelly
Ana T.
This is the second book in a trilogy about 3 sisters and a brother whose family was split up when they were just children and teens. Their parents died in a car crash and were accused of having stolen money.

I read the first one in this trilogy last year and although it had some flaws I enjoyed it enough to pick the other 2 books.

Pepper is the middle sister and at the age of 8 she was put in foster care and away from her siblings. She has survived by using false identities and finding jobs as a l...more
Juliana
I'm not generally a contemporary romance fan, but Christina Dodd is one of my favorite historical romance authors so I've given a few of her modern books a try. Almost Like Being in Love is the second in her "Lost Texas Heart Trilogy" and though it wasn't as enjoyable as the first - Just the Way You Are - it was a decent read ... my time period of choice, however, remains the 18th-19th centuries.
Jacqueline
The continuing story of the lost Prescott sisters. This one had more of a romantic suspense storyline. I like reuniting high school sweethearts stories and this one was sweet. They neither one had really gotten over the other one. The suspense part was nice and pretty well plotted. The emotional reconnection of the hero and heroine was solid and believable. I liked this just as well on my second reading as I did when I read it when it first came out.
Ceej
I really would have given this a 3.5 if I could have. The story was much better than the first book. The relationship between Dan and Pepper was more "human". Although, her running away because he cared enough to look for her family, is kind of hard to stick with. Also the way General Napier kills her aide in a public parking garage is a bit over the top. A top general who's involved in espionage would take a bit more care than that and she definitely would be caught trying to capture the person...more
Alysia
I love getting free stuff and thanks to the Passion and Prose Conference for the amazing gift back of stuff. This was one of the many items in the bag.
I have never read a Christina Dodd book and had no expectations at all going in.
The story of a grown woman constantly on the run from nothing in particular and nothing "life threatening" not until she witnesses a murder seems a little off to me. Pepper Prescott is always moving changing her name and her looks to hide from her past. But we never r...more
Jessica Alcazar
As I've already stated in my review for Just the Way You Are ... I read this entire series before I passed judgment on the author and Christina Dodd is not an author I will ever seek out again.
The story of siblings coming back together later in their life after being split up into foster care is what attracted me to this series and therefor author. My first and last for Ms Dodd.
In this story, Pepper witness a murder and runs to hide in her last foster home with the only woman she ever felt loved...more
Kathy
Joy
I liked this better than the first, whatever the first book had, this book contained twice as much. The suspense never let up once Pepper ran for safety in a little town in Idaho, where she fatefully met her old flame Dan Graham. Pepper is the opposite of her sister in attitude and physical looks, she's definitely stronger and she matched perfectly with Dan. There is little humor in this book but I still enjoyed their arguments. The drama and their life-defining moments brought tears, and their...more
Donna
Pepper Prescott was orphaned at 8 years old.She and Her siblings were sent to homes across the country. She grew up wild and rebellious. Then, partially due to the autobiography of an Army LTC, she settled down and developed a successful landscape business. Pepper really want an autographed copy of the author's book, but she got to the bookstore to late for the signing so she waits in the parking garage to try to catch the author before she leaves only to witness the author shoot her aide when t...more
penelopewanders
Taking a break from rings and books for work.

This was a fairly enjoyable read, but it did not grab me the same way the first one did. This may partly be due to the fact that I didn't have much time so read it in bits and pieces rather than in one fell swoop. Although Pepper was a promising character, once she got to the ranch things felt rather stagnant and claustrophobic... endless sequences of "I want him but it's a terrible idea" start to feel repetitive after a while. The flashes to the fami...more
Susan Ferguson
The second in the Lost Texas Hearts series. This is the story of the middle daughter, Pepper. Her older sister has promised to keep them together, but the congregation manages to separate the children. Gabriel, their foster brother has found the first sister and they are searching for Pepper. They requested information from the courthouse, but it has burnt down and the records have been destroyed. Meanwhile, Pepper is rebellious and angry at being abandoned and has been told often enough that no...more
Maria
For my first Christina Dodd I was suitably impressed and will definitely read more. I picked up this author from goodreads friend Gina who is reading a lot of her historicals. That's probably where I should have started but Ms. Dodd has so many books on the bookstore shelves that I was intimidated and just grabbed one and ran. It turned out to be a contemporary in the middle of a series but is well written and kept my interest throughout. However, I skip sex scenes that don't add to the story so...more
Shea
I enjoyed the second installment of this series more than the first. I really enjoyed Dodd's descriptions of the mountain landscape in Idaho and life on a ranch. This book had more excitement than the first. Not only is there a compelling love story but also terrorism and international intrigue as well. I found the sparring between Dan and Pepper entertaining and I wasn't sure if I wanted them to fall in love or beat eachother up. I would read the first book in the series first, but this one is...more
Read this book in 2006 while on a road trip just before the start of my matric year. Only remembered I'd read it when my mum picked it up at the libary a few weeks ago and brought it home, not realisimg that she'd already read it. Seeing as how I was on a road trip when I read it, and I don't read too well in moving cars, I guess it's obvious why I'd want to forget it. But I have to admit that the story wasn't really bad and the tension between the characters made for engaging reading.
Ry
Pepper Prescott ran away from her foster home when she was a teenager so Dan Graham wouldn't break her heart. Nine years later, she's back in the county and who does she run into? Dan Graham. But this isn't the Dan she remembers. This man is hardened by war and violence that most people can't imagine. Something is not quite right about the stories either tells the other, but what will happen when what they run from catches up?
Shelli
While I enjoyed the continuing storyline about the family separated as children and placed into foster care, I found a hard time believing Pepper's current predicament. I did, however, believe everything she said about rejecting love, just not the predicament with General Napier. Despite that, I couldn't put the book down. I kept waiting for the moment Pepper would be reunited with Hope, and that certainly did not disappoint.
Meaghan
im always a sucker for a happy ending and this didnt disappoint.
Kasey
This was another enjoyable read from the Lost Texas Hearts series. It didn't grab my attention as quickly as the last one did, but I was happy to see there were no comical rescue attempts this time around. I enjoyed our leading characters although they were to stubborn for their own good at times. It was great to see Hope and Zach again and look forward to them finding the rest of their family.
Emily
Those of you who detest reading series books out of order...don't worry about doing it with this one. I didn't read the first book (pooh on the library) and started with this one. It works as a stand alone book, but has the characters in the first book (not too much) so fans of the first can be happy with another appearance. Great book.
Ariel
I liked this one , I would have liked to read more about Pepper when she was at the ranch in her youth . It was still really good though , probably my favorite of the series .. Not sure though . I would like to read a book about Gabriel . I don't have a lot to say about this book , but anything by Christina Dodd is worth reading in my opinion (:
Christine
The middle volume in the saga of the Prescott Sisters, this was a fun, action-packed read about the spirited middle sister, Pepper. It was fun and fluffy, but Pepper kind of annoyed me. Also, this book shed no light on the mysteries begun in the first book in this series, which left me feeling somewhat impatient.
Kerry
This was a good suspense, but a bit heavy on the sexual content (even for me). I found myself skimming over some of those scenes so I could get back to the mystery and find out what was going to happen :) haha! I do however look forward to the next book in the series. Want to see how it all works out.
Misty
about as ambivalent about this installment as I was about the first book. Still not really sure if its the book I don't like or the narrator. Maybe its the female lead, she drove me nuts in this book! I think it could have been really good but Pepper just drove me batty! :)
Christine
❀ Crystal ✿ -
Pepper became a foster child at 8 when her family was torn apart. She later meets hott cowboy Dan and the rest is history lol. I expected a big talk at the end and was disappointed when it never came. Still a great easy read...
Shelly
Yep, I read another.....what can I say every once in a while you need a story where all the stars align in a perfectly unreal relationship :) Hey, it's fiction people and better entertainment than reality TV :)
Gina
All I can say right now is thank god I am done with this book. It wasn't great and not the kind of story I would seek out. It fit a challenge requirement and I sludged through it. The end. 2 stars.
Hayley
This book was at best, okay. It took me quite awhile to actually get into it and the heroine of the story made me madder every time she denied the hero in the story.... But of course it was a HEA story.....
Shannon
Pepper Prescott
Dan Graham

Not as great as the first story but still pretty good. Found it to have a bit too much filler in the middle but a very good climax. 3 Stars
  • Tall, Dark, and Dangerous
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)
  • Along Came Trouble (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #3)
  • The Red Hot Cajun (Cajun, #4)
  • Dirty Sexy Knitting (Malibu and Ewe #3)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • When Bruce Met Cyn (Visitation, North Carolina, #3)
  • One Night with the Wealthy Rancher
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Red Hot Holiday
  • Forgotten Sins (Haven, #3)
  • David and Conner  (Jock Dorm, #3)
  • And Able
  • Cowboys Like Us: Cowboys Like Us\Notorious (Sons of Chance, #6)
  • Heart Of Courage (Heart Trilogy #3)
  • Lois Lane Tells All (Glory NC, #2)
  • Tempting a Proper Lady (Brides of Nevarton Chase, #1)
  • Lola Carlyle Reveals All
Join Christina's mailing list for upcoming book news, book sales and entertainment delivered right to your inbox! http://christinadodd.com/newsletters/...

Readers become writers, and Christina Dodd has always been a reader. She reads everything, but because she loves humor, she likes romance best.

A woman wants things like world peace, a clean house, and a deep and meaningful relationship based on...more
More about Christina Dodd...
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)