Start by marking “Almost Like Being in Love” as Want to Read:
Almost Like Being in Love

Almost Like Being in Love (Lost Texas Hearts #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,282 ratings  ·  66 reviews
As the middle child, Pepper Prescott’s rebellious nature helped her survive when her parents disappeared and she and her siblings were sent to different foster homes around the country. Now an independent young woman, Pepper finds herself on the run after witnessing a shooting. Fearing for her life, Pepper flees to the only place she ever considered home and is shocked to ...more
Audio CD
Published January 29th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published May 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Like Being in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Like Being in Love

Shelly
Tina
I am seriously disappointed!! I don't even know what to say... The story wasn't the problem it had great potential (that earned 1 star). But there was no connection with the characters for me. The writing felt disjointed. The heroine drove me crazy, I never new what she really wanted she was all over the damn place! The ending was absolute crap, had I been invested in the relationship between Pepper and Dan it would have really pissed me off!

The only redeeming qualities here where that I got to
Ana T.
This is the second book in a trilogy about 3 sisters and a brother whose family was split up when they were just children and teens. Their parents died in a car crash and were accused of having stolen money.

I read the first one in this trilogy last year and although it had some flaws I enjoyed it enough to pick the other 2 books.

Pepper is the middle sister and at the age of 8 she was put in foster care and away from her siblings. She has survived by using false identities and finding jobs as a l
Joy
I liked this better than the first, whatever the first book had, this book contained twice as much. The suspense never let up once Pepper ran for safety in a little town in Idaho, where she fatefully met her old flame Dan Graham. Pepper is the opposite of her sister in attitude and physical looks, she's definitely stronger and she matched perfectly with Dan. There is little humor in this book but I still enjoyed their arguments. The drama and their life-defining moments brought tears, and their ...more
penelopewanders
Taking a break from rings and books for work.

This was a fairly enjoyable read, but it did not grab me the same way the first one did. This may partly be due to the fact that I didn't have much time so read it in bits and pieces rather than in one fell swoop. Although Pepper was a promising character, once she got to the ranch things felt rather stagnant and claustrophobic... endless sequences of "I want him but it's a terrible idea" start to feel repetitive after a while. The flashes to the fami
Molly
Ugh! Awful characters, treating each other like crap.

Pepper is the most unpleasant person once this story gets going. She doesn't have a chip on her shoulder, she has a whole freak'n boulder! And she seems to go out of her way to misunderstand people and assign ill intent to anything anyone says.

Dan is big pushy a..hole! No means no...unless you are really sure she wants then just keep on going until she gives in. This is the last kind of intimate scenes I want to read.

The premise was interestin
Juliana
I'm not generally a contemporary romance fan, but Christina Dodd is one of my favorite historical romance authors so I've given a few of her modern books a try. Almost Like Being in Love is the second in her "Lost Texas Heart Trilogy" and though it wasn't as enjoyable as the first - Just the Way You Are - it was a decent read ... my time period of choice, however, remains the 18th-19th centuries.
Desi
Dodd has a great and very detailed way of describing scenery and settings. Brings them to life quite well. Certainly at times I am impatient, and may skip over a bit of the landscape portrayal here and there but it really is well done. I enjoyed Pepper; poor thing, if it's not one thing going wrong in her life, it's another. Dan wasn't bad either. Although the physical description of him came so late in the book I kept picturing him as a tough dark haired soldier type so it was jarring to realiz ...more
Jacqueline
The continuing story of the lost Prescott sisters. This one had more of a romantic suspense storyline. I like reuniting high school sweethearts stories and this one was sweet. They neither one had really gotten over the other one. The suspense part was nice and pretty well plotted. The emotional reconnection of the hero and heroine was solid and believable. I liked this just as well on my second reading as I did when I read it when it first came out.
Ceej
I really would have given this a 3.5 if I could have. The story was much better than the first book. The relationship between Dan and Pepper was more "human". Although, her running away because he cared enough to look for her family, is kind of hard to stick with. Also the way General Napier kills her aide in a public parking garage is a bit over the top. A top general who's involved in espionage would take a bit more care than that and she definitely would be caught trying to capture the person ...more
Alysia
I love getting free stuff and thanks to the Passion and Prose Conference for the amazing gift back of stuff. This was one of the many items in the bag.
I have never read a Christina Dodd book and had no expectations at all going in.
The story of a grown woman constantly on the run from nothing in particular and nothing "life threatening" not until she witnesses a murder seems a little off to me. Pepper Prescott is always moving changing her name and her looks to hide from her past. But we never r
Jessica Alcazar
As I've already stated in my review for Just the Way You Are ... I read this entire series before I passed judgment on the author and Christina Dodd is not an author I will ever seek out again.
The story of siblings coming back together later in their life after being split up into foster care is what attracted me to this series and therefor author. My first and last for Ms Dodd.
In this story, Pepper witness a murder and runs to hide in her last foster home with the only woman she ever felt loved
Kathy
Donna
Pepper Prescott was orphaned at 8 years old.She and Her siblings were sent to homes across the country. She grew up wild and rebellious. Then, partially due to the autobiography of an Army LTC, she settled down and developed a successful landscape business. Pepper really want an autographed copy of the author's book, but she got to the bookstore to late for the signing so she waits in the parking garage to try to catch the author before she leaves only to witness the author shoot her aide when t ...more
Susan Ferguson
The second in the Lost Texas Hearts series. This is the story of the middle daughter, Pepper. Her older sister has promised to keep them together, but the congregation manages to separate the children. Gabriel, their foster brother has found the first sister and they are searching for Pepper. They requested information from the courthouse, but it has burnt down and the records have been destroyed. Meanwhile, Pepper is rebellious and angry at being abandoned and has been told often enough that no ...more
Maria
For my first Christina Dodd I was suitably impressed and will definitely read more. I picked up this author from goodreads friend Gina who is reading a lot of her historicals. That's probably where I should have started but Ms. Dodd has so many books on the bookstore shelves that I was intimidated and just grabbed one and ran. It turned out to be a contemporary in the middle of a series but is well written and kept my interest throughout. However, I skip sex scenes that don't add to the story so ...more
Kim
One of my very favorites!
Darlene
Always love a book by Dodd.
Shea
I enjoyed the second installment of this series more than the first. I really enjoyed Dodd's descriptions of the mountain landscape in Idaho and life on a ranch. This book had more excitement than the first. Not only is there a compelling love story but also terrorism and international intrigue as well. I found the sparring between Dan and Pepper entertaining and I wasn't sure if I wanted them to fall in love or beat eachother up. I would read the first book in the series first, but this one is ...more
Diane
Wow, this was really good!
Read this book in 2006 while on a road trip just before the start of my matric year. Only remembered I'd read it when my mum picked it up at the libary a few weeks ago and brought it home, not realisimg that she'd already read it. Seeing as how I was on a road trip when I read it, and I don't read too well in moving cars, I guess it's obvious why I'd want to forget it. But I have to admit that the story wasn't really bad and the tension between the characters made for engaging reading.
Ry
Pepper Prescott ran away from her foster home when she was a teenager so Dan Graham wouldn't break her heart. Nine years later, she's back in the county and who does she run into? Dan Graham. But this isn't the Dan she remembers. This man is hardened by war and violence that most people can't imagine. Something is not quite right about the stories either tells the other, but what will happen when what they run from catches up?
Shelli
While I enjoyed the continuing storyline about the family separated as children and placed into foster care, I found a hard time believing Pepper's current predicament. I did, however, believe everything she said about rejecting love, just not the predicament with General Napier. Despite that, I couldn't put the book down. I kept waiting for the moment Pepper would be reunited with Hope, and that certainly did not disappoint.
Meaghan
im always a sucker for a happy ending and this didnt disappoint.
Finally finished. I love most of Christina Dodd's writing. Her books are usually fun, easy to get into stories with great characters and this one was no different in that way. But it kind of fell apart for me toward the last half. I think a combination of Pepper, not disclosing her secrets to Dan sooner and their teenage connection was so brief and long ago, I had hard time picturing him holding a torch for so long.
Kasey
This was another enjoyable read from the Lost Texas Hearts series. It didn't grab my attention as quickly as the last one did, but I was happy to see there were no comical rescue attempts this time around. I enjoyed our leading characters although they were to stubborn for their own good at times. It was great to see Hope and Zach again and look forward to them finding the rest of their family.
Emily
Those of you who detest reading series books out of order...don't worry about doing it with this one. I didn't read the first book (pooh on the library) and started with this one. It works as a stand alone book, but has the characters in the first book (not too much) so fans of the first can be happy with another appearance. Great book.
Ariel
I liked this one , I would have liked to read more about Pepper when she was at the ranch in her youth . It was still really good though , probably my favorite of the series .. Not sure though . I would like to read a book about Gabriel . I don't have a lot to say about this book , but anything by Christina Dodd is worth reading in my opinion (:
Christine
The middle volume in the saga of the Prescott Sisters, this was a fun, action-packed read about the spirited middle sister, Pepper. It was fun and fluffy, but Pepper kind of annoyed me. Also, this book shed no light on the mysteries begun in the first book in this series, which left me feeling somewhat impatient.
  • Tall, Dark, and Dangerous
  • One Night With a Rogue
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)
  • Then Comes Marriage (Hot Water, California, #2)
  • And Able
  • Forgotten Sins (Haven, #3)
  • Lois Lane Tells All (Glory NC, #2)
  • Sighs Matter
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Run Among Thorns
  • So Into You (Cajun, #8)
  • Always Look Twice (Callahan Brothers, #3)
  • Madame Prosecutor: Confrontations with Humanity's Worst Criminals and the Culture of Impunity
  • Along Came Trouble (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #3)
  • Time to Run (SEAL Team 12, #3)
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • Heart of Honor (Heart Trilogy #1)
  • Beware of Doug (Guys & Dogs, #2)
Christina's 2015 List of Upcoming Stories:
— A PIRATE'S WIFE FOR ME: A new, full-length, Governess Brides historical (Feb. 15)
— THE RELATIVES: A new Virtue Falls Short Story (April 7)
— The paperback of VIRTUE FALLS (June 30)
— OBSESSION FALLS: A new, full-length Virtue Falls novel (Sept 8)

Join Christina's mailing list for updates! http://christinadodd.com/newsletters/...

In 2014, Christina introduc
More about Christina Dodd...

Lost Texas Hearts (3 books)
  • Just the Way You Are (Lost Texas Heart, #1)
  • Close to You (Lost Texas Heart, #3)
Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) Into The Shadow (Darkness Chosen, #3) Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4) Touch of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #2) Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)