Start by marking “Haunted City: An Unauthorized Guide to the Magical, Magnificent New Orleans of Anne Rice” as Want to Read:

This newly updated guide offers a walking tour of all New Orleans hotels, grave sites, streets, and places mentioned or evoked in Anne Rice's novels. Maps & photos.
Published November 1st 1995 by Carol Publishing Corporation (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted City

Kelly
D'oh! I quickly looked through the book, looked at the cover and saw: "haunted", "New Orleans", "Guide" and bought it. I am so silly. I didn't finish reading the rest of the title. Damn you key words!!

Anyway, while it is a very well written, informative book on the history of local buildings and locations in New Orleans, it did not discuss the actual haunted history or origins of the tales. Also, as the full title states, all of the locations are connected to Anne Rice books. And while I was a b
Donna
Sep 28, 2008 Donna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: First time New Orleans visitors and/ or vampires.
Being only a mild Anne Rice fan, I enjoyed this book more for it's comprehensive history of NOLA than for the vampire trivia.
Definitely worth a read if you are visiting the city for the first time. Despite the changes to the area after Katrina, a decent amount of the information is still correct.
Emily
Apr 15, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
I read this book on the plane ride to New Orleans, so it was fun to learn about some of the sights I planned to visit. It was published in 1995, so it's obviously pre-Katrina and a bit outdated in general. However, most of the sights are still around. Also, the book is not centered on Anne Rice's novels, which is a good since I've never read anything by Rice. It's really more of a handy visitor's guide to the city.
Deanna Valkingburg
Aug 17, 2010 Deanna Valkingburg rated it it was amazing
Read this book before I went to New Orleans and it was very helpful. The book makes the city come alive. Love this book!
Catherine Woodman
This had good photographs, is entertaining to read, and gives the voodoo and vampire bent to New Orleans that is so often lacking in more conventional guide books.
Wendy Mills
Apr 16, 2015 Wendy Mills rated it it was amazing
An interesting and informative book about Anne Rice's collection of Vampire and Witches novels, along with details of popular locations, restaurants, sections, and more of New Orleans.
Julie Leggett
I bought this book before my one and only trip to new orleans when I was nineteen. my description of the city was a magical creepiness, and this book made it even more so.
Missy
Dec 30, 2008 Missy rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome if you're an Anne Rice fan and visiting New Orleans. Even if you're not a fan, it has some great history of the city..
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2008
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Robin Schoppe
Robin Schoppe rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Nicollette
Nicollette rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2010
Natalia Corres
Natalia Corres rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Gaylon
Gaylon rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2009
April
April rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2012
Joey Fritsch
Joey Fritsch rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Jen Chin
Jen Chin rated it liked it
May 21, 2008
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Aadikah
Aadikah rated it liked it
May 25, 2013
Dora Traynor
Dora Traynor rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2010
Tellie Simmons
Tellie Simmons rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Jill
Jan 01, 2014 Jill rated it liked it
Ok. Some places may not be there anymore.
Carey
Carey rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2013
Christina Contreras
Christina Contreras rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
C rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The French Quarter: An Informal History of the New Orleans Underworld
  • Conversations with Anne Rice: An Intimate, Enlightening Portrait of Her Life and Work
  • In the Shadow of the Vampire: Reflections from the World of Anne Rice
  • In the Arms of Morpheus: The Tragic History of Laudanum, Morphine, and Patent Medicines
  • The World That Made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square
  • The Roquelaure Reader: A Companion to Anne Rice's Erotica
  • Storyville, New Orleans: Being an Authentic, Illustrated Account of the Notorious Red Light District
  • Haunted New Orleans: Ghosts & Hauntings of the Crescent City
  • Gumbo Ya-Ya: A Collection of Louisiana Folk Tales
  • Frenchmen, Desire, Good Children: . . . and Other Streets of New Orleans!
  • The Master of Rampling Gate
  • Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Vampire: The Complete Guide to the World of the Undead
  • Very New Orleans: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Cajun Country Charm
  • The Vampire: His Kith and Kin
  • Parker's Astrology: The Definitive Guide to Using Astrology in Every Aspect of Your Life (New Edition)
  • New Orleans Ghosts, Voodoo, and Vampires: Journey into Darkness