When He Was Wicked

When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons #6)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  16,414 ratings  ·  602 reviews
In every life there is a turning point.

A moment so tremendous, so sharp and breathtaking, that one knows one's life will never be the same. For Michael Stirling, London's most infamous rake, that moment came the first time he laid eyes on Francesca Bridgerton.

After a lifetime of chasing women, of smiling slyly as they chased him, of allowing himself to be caught but never...more
Published 2004 by Avon

Shawna
5 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

I’ll be honest, this is the book that attracted me to Julia Quinn’s Bridgertons to begin with and the story that I was most looking forward to reading in the series. I mean, with a title like “When He Was Wicked”? Well, I knew I simply couldn’t pass it up. Although I really liked this, surprisingly, it’s not my favorite of the series. That honor is still tied between the breathtaking, fairy tale romance An Offer From a Gentleman and the sweet, whimsical Romanc...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...
My Review:

This, the 6th installment of the Bridgerton series, is so different from the rest of the stories that it took me by surprise – a pleasant surprise. Having read and found the previous books lighter, funnier reads, I hadn’t expected to find this one much different. If there was ever any question as to Ms. Quinn’s ability to write a more intense, deeper story, When He Was Wicked has answered it with a resounding yes!

When He Was Wicked is the story of Michael Stirling, Rake Extraordinaire...more
Rane
After four long years of mourning her beloved husband Francesca Bridgerton Stirling is finally going back into society. Still young, she feels the longing to be a mother, and has decided to find herself a husband. But when her husband’s cousin and once her close friend returns, her simple plan seems to fly out the window.
Michael Stirling has been in love with Francesca for many years, and after the sudden death of his cousin, his life was turned upside down. Feeling he was betraying his cous
Eastofoz
Nov 25, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bridgerton series fans, readers who like regency with spice
Ahh Julia Quinn, the best comfort read out there. Not only is this an excellent comfort read but it’s comfort with a surprising twist. I had to check more than once that I was reading a Juia Quinn and not Lisa Kleypas whose steam scenes can be a whole lot steamier than Quinn’s. This book was fantastic!

Filled with emotion that starts out simmering and ends up ready to firecracker high in the sky, here’s the story of Francesca Bridgerton and Michael Stirling friends/cousins through Francesca’s hus...more
Linds
This is definitely the most intense of the Bridgerton series that I've read so far.

Francesca Bridgerton is Michael's ultimate "Jessie's Girl." He has been completely in love with her since the first time he met her. She is his cousin's (who is like a brother to him) wife. He never tries to win her, or even wish for her, but has resigned himself to bitter acceptance and self hatred for secretly wanting his cousin's wife. He tamps all his feelings down and is ashamed of himself.

Well, the cousin d...more
Fani
Jasmin
Preparations necessary when reading When He Was Wicked:

Materials needed:
bucket of ice -to douse the heat
handkerchief -to wipe off the sweat
blood pressure cuff and heart rate monitor -to monitor if your BP and pulse are still in safe levels
guardian angel -to prevent infection of wickedness
optional:
handcuffs -to prevent being wicked
sedative -to reduce excitement

Preferential reading temperature:
20° or lower -things can get hot

Precautions:
(1) Breathe slowly. (Especially when approaching Chapter 17)
(...more
Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
This book recounts the age-old tale of falling in love with your best friend's girl...but what happens when you get your chance at her hand, albeit at the loss of your best friend through his untimely death?

This is a beautiful Regency romance on grief, loss, and moving on. I've read and mostly loved all the books featuring the Bridgerton family, and this is the book I return to time after time because I think it is the best in the series. It is written in your typical inestimable Julia Quinn sty...more
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
....'Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Cousins Wife'....

Straight away with this chapter of the Bridgerton series you notice how different it is from the prior. Firstly there is the very noticble lack of Bridgerton family presence. Also, there has never been any real mention of Francesca in the past books. I dont even remember her being married but apparently that happened also.

Thinking back over the Brigerton Series to write these reviews I realised this was one of my favourites.Francesca (Frannue) is h...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
*Fanning myself*

Goodness.

This book should get two stars from me, but here's an interesting fact; Michael Stirling rates an entire star on his own. I found myself frustrated with Francesca's behavior. It's not that I couldn't understand it, just that it dragged on for far too long. I've noticed that a propensity to draw out a story is one of the weaknesses in Quinn's writing. This isn't the only book of hers I've read that had me heaving a sigh, rolling my eyes, and uttering -

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

But if you can get...more
*Book-Lover*

LOVED IT!!!

This one definitely had a different feel than the previous books in the series. It's a bit darker, deals with the lovely Francesca Bridgerton and her newly wed husband, John KilMartin of only 2 years, when he complains of a headache, goes to take a sleep, and never wakes up...

The surprising thing about this story was that Francesca and John are happily passionately in love with each other, when tradegy strikes, so your heart really breaks for her. Shockingly, your heart breaks for Mic...more
Brittany B.
Changed my mind... 4.8 Stars!! :))
4.5 stars for Narration, by Simon Preeble.

Wow! What an intense story! One hell of an audiobook, to be sure.
I dont know if it was more of Simon Preeble's interpretation or Julia Quinn's writing, but this was one seriously intense, melodramatic historical romance!
I secretly love it (secretly- meaning I wasn't sure how I felt until reflection.) And I changed my rating after relistening to a few bookmarked sections.

First things first: This can definitely be rea...more
Cheryl
This was an amazing book! Michael and Francesca's story was totally believable and I enjoyed every minute of it. Sometimes I find it really annoying when the hero and heroine in a story take forever to let go of their hold on their feelings and fall in love. But in this story it makes sense! They both loved John so much and Michael had such guilt that it took a while to find peace for both of them. My emotions went on a roller coaster ride through this story and it was thrilling!! I recommend it...more
Brenda (b)
Francesca was the sister least talked about in the previous novels. I wasn't sure if I was going to connect with her, but I think I did. For me, this one has been the most emotional of the Bridgerton stories so far. Michael's unrequited love was heart-rending. John's death was so sudden and tragic. Francesca and Michael both had to come to terms with losing him and they needed each other so much. The epilogue, the letter from John's mother to Michael, did me in.
Isis FG
Rating: 4.5 / 5

I think maybe this is my favorite book in the series so far. The romantic aspect and the passion of the book was excellently done. I was completely hooked into this one and just wanted to keep reading.

Series Note:
You should probably read the series in order, but this one has a pretty independent storyline.

Summary:
Francesca Bridgerton thought she had a great life ahead of her with the love of her life John Stirling, Earl of Kilmartin and a wonderful friendship with John's cousin, M...more
Maureen Feeney
Thinking back over the Brigerton Series to write these reviews I realised this was one of my favourites.Francesca is happily married to John, Earl of Kilmartin, she has a great friendship with his cousin and best friend Michael,who has been in love with her since he first saw her, but he has kept his feelings well hidden.
At the start of the book John dies leaving Francesca devastated
while Michael inherits John's title ,land and wealth.
This is a story of grief,unrequited love and simply moving on...more
Ally72
This was a huge five star book for me. The BEST Julia Quinn book I have read...I loved it!!!
valee
OK, I am absolutely sure that this book is a 5 star rating and a fave of mine after finishing it. And even though everybody will disagree with me, I still feel that book 5 was a bit better.

But let's talk about this book. It was amazing. So fantastic. What can I say? Julia Quinn knows what she's doing.

Both characters were amazing and you could just see from the start that they were meant to be together. I really enjoyed this installment of the series and can't wait to read the next.
FlibBityFLooB
4.5/5 stars. Whew! Oh my. There was a scene in this book that was so hot I felt like I could use a cold shower after reading it. Hehe. He was definitely wicked. *grin*

I couldn't stop reading. Ended up staying up all night to finish. Couldn't help myself. Naughty me!

The book overall was good. The first part of it started a little slow for me, but the last half more than made up for it. This series continues to be very enjoyable.
Tori
WOW THAT WAS SOME DELIGHTFUL DIRTY TALK!!!!!!!
Michelle
I really enjoyed the 6th book in the Bridgerton Series. The first part of the book tells of the relationship of Francesca with her husband John and his cousin, her dear friend, Michael. After Johns sudden death and Francesca misfortunate miscarriage Francescas needs Michael more than ever but instead of helping her during her time of need he leaves the country and spends 4 years in India. Not only can he bear to be near the woman he has loved for so many years but he does not like the fact that...more
Sory
He tardado un montón (una semana casi) en terminar este libro, pero no por falta de ganas, sino por falta de tiempo... estoy de exámenes señores!! aún así, ayer cuando llegué a casa después de examinarme me sentí incapaz de volver a coger los apuntes, así que decidí continuar con este libro que tenía días parado por la mitad... y así ocupé mi tarde.
Este se acaba de convertir en mi libro de la serie preferido ♥
Sé que soy una blanda, pero todo eso de que la ame desde hace tanto me tocó la fibra......more
Elii Vela
Desde el inicio de este libro conecté con Michael y su amor prohibido por Francesca, me daba mucha pena ver todo lo que sufría al verla con su primo -felizmente casada-, y él tener que soportar todo eso... T-T

Con Francesca por el contrario, tenía un poquitín de molestia; porque no sé... tal vez era porque ella es la mas diferente de los Bridgertons, como sea, su manera de tratar a MI Michael, era tremendamente molesta.

La primera parte de la historia fue muy triste, ella perdiendo a su esposo y...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Michael Stirling is known as the Merry Rake. Seducing and flirting is his forte. However, Michael is in love with the one person he can never have. Married to his cousin John, Francesca is unaware of Michael’s feelings for her. The three of them are best friends, but her presence makes Michael hurt in the worst of ways.

But when a loss shatters both their worlds, Michael and Francesca don’t know how to deal with the pain...or the presence of one another. The question s...more
Kelly22
5.00+ stars - Regency/Historical Romance

For me this one was a reread. Julia Quinn’s When He Was Wicked, the sixth in the Bridgerton series tells a story of a saga that narrates the game played by a seductively charming hero and a vulnerable confused widow in their transition of friends to lover.

It introduces a new style which is thus far exhibited by Quinn in the series. It is a sexy, witty yet serious and somewhat intense historical romance novel. There is no confusion, no perplexity in the mo...more
Carla *Jen7waters*
Oh boy, oh boy, Julia Quinn what have you done?! I absolutely loved this one! And I wasn’t even enjoying it that much in the beginning, but then Michael came back from India and voilá! Oh, where to begin...where to begin...maybe with Michael, since I mentioned him already. Well, what else could I say about a character that reminded me of a mix between Simon from The Duke and I, and Colin from Romancing Mr.Bridgerton? What else besides: I loved him! Poor guy...such an unfortunate man he is having...more
Grace Cieleen
Oh my, It's actually my first time to give a Quinn a 3 star rating. I also know that most of my friends who have added and read the book actually loved this. As opposed to the first 5, this one wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

Francesca Bridgerton's story was off beat for my taste, I am sorry because this might be my personal opinion and I really hate the feeling of being disappointed at one of my most fave HR authors ever. The story started off really weird for me, maybe it is just to my distaste...more
Quinn
Francesca has always seemed one of the more elusive Bridgerton siblings, sometimes mentioned but seldom present in the preceding books.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel we were given the opportunity to know her any better in her own book. She was present, but I never got any sense of the makeup of her character and she seemed almost devoid of any character traits that would set her apart from any other woman of her time. This book was all about her circumstances, but not about her.

It is for that rea...more
Duchess Nicole
This is a beautiful and touching book. Michael and Francesca's story was not as lighthearted as the other Bridgerton sibling's books. While I did get frustrated with Francesca at times, overall, I was so engaged in both characters that any frustration was overshadowed by the delight of seeing their relationship develop. This is how lovers should begin, by building on a friendship, and letting the rest come naturally.

Although this was a heartbreaking story at times, I do want to mention that the...more
Jordan
So clearly this book takes winner for best sex scenes. All of the dirty talk and everything.

I like too that this one explored being a widow and what that meant and how Francesca would have felt and dealt with it. I enjoyed her a lot, as well as Michael.
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2)
  • Pleasure for Pleasure (Essex Sisters, #4)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • Lady of Desire (Knight Miscellany, #4)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an...more
More about Julia Quinn...
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)

“In every life there is a turning point. A moment so tremendous, so sharp and clear that one feels as if one's been hit in the chest, all the breath knocked out, and one knows, absolutely knows without the merest hint of a shadow of a doubt that one's life will never be the same.” 116 likes
“Tell me something wicked.” 43 likes