Start by marking “The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Includes: Lady Whistledown, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Includes: Lady Whistledown, #1)

The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Lady Whistledown #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  5,779 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
Lady Whistledown Tells All!

Society is abuzz when the Season's most promising debutante is jilted by her intended -- only to be swept away by the deceitful rogue's dashing older brother -- in New York Times bestseller Julia Quinn's witty, charming, and heartfelt tale.

When the scandalous actions of his beautiful fiancée are recorded in Lady Whistledown's column, a concerned

Hardcover, Large Print, 552 pages
Published December 31st 2003 by Wheeler Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown

Dina
Four novellas linked by Lady Whistledowns Society Papers (first introduced by Julia Quinn in her Bridgeton series):

- 'One True Love' by Suzanne Enoch (3 stars): The heroine, Anne, ruined the story for me. Even though the hero, Maximilian, came to think she was not as spoiled as he previously though, her actions throughout the story didnt support his way of thinking. If Maximilian had decided to leave Anne in London and go back to Yorkshire without her, I wouldnt have been unhappy. Thats how much
Daniella
Nov 08, 2015 Daniella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It has come to the attention of This Author that a Certain Writer who calls herself "Daniella" (a somewhat outlandish nom de plume, is it not?) has published a rather disconcerting column about several figures of the ton. Some of them, Gentle Reader, you may already be familiar with, seeing as they have been gracing This Author's Society Papers as of late.

It would seem that the newly wed Lady Anne Trent, wife to the Marquis of Halfurst, received the greatest amount of censure and was called na
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
One True love -Suzanne Enoch -> 5 Stars !
Two Hearts -Karen Hawkins -> 4 Stars :)
A dozen kisses -Mia Ryan -> 3.25 Stars
36 Valentines -J.Quinn -> Barley a 3 :(
Cheryl
Sep 22, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: K.
One True Love by Suzanne Enoch- 4 stars

I love a story where the hero has to chase the heroine.. and a merry chase does she take him on! Cute little story!

Two Hearts by Karen Hawkins- 5 stars

This hero had my heart all a-flutter!! Royce! *sigh* I would have loved for this story to be full length so I could get more of his yumminess!

Royce and Liza have been friends for 21 years and until she starts looking for a husband neither of them realized their growing attraction or love for one another.. lo
FlibBityFLooB
Nov 13, 2009 FlibBityFLooB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn
This anthology was one of my favorites to read, mostly because all the stories were interwoven together, despite being written by four separate authors. Perhaps that is common in historical romance anthologies, but I have never read an anthology before where everything was interconnected.

The Bridgerton family does not make an appearance in this anthology, though Penelope the Wallflower does at one point.

I found all four stories to be entertaining. If you enjoyed the Julia Quinn Bridgerton series
Katrina Passick Lumsden
It is really difficult to write a review of a book that has stories from different authors. I chose to stick with the middle ground for this one because I didn't enjoy every story.

One True Love by Suzanne Enoch - One star

I've never been a huge fan of Ms. Enoch's, and this book brought home the reason for my misgivings. Lady Anne Bishop has been betrothed to Maximilian, Earl of Halfurst, since birth. When the story begins, Anne is 19 and thoroughly enjoying an unexpectedly cold and snowy Jan
Anna D.
Aug 23, 2012 Anna D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swoon-worthy-hero, hr
5 stars - 36 Valentines (David & Susannah)
The most accurate way to describe this story is captured in one word -- “Aww...” What a sweet story!! I loved it. There’s nothing like a big, strong, serious man getting flustered and resorting to writing valentines all in the name of love for an unlikely heroine. This was a perfect short story… as much as I like the H/h, I don’t think their story could have been a full length book. *David is the swoon worthy hero in this collection*

3 stars – Two Hea
Océano de libros
Susannah Ballister era la sensación de Londres hasta que…su casi prometido Clive Mann-Formsby la abandona por otra mujer y nuestra protagonista cae en desgracia.
Su suerte parece cambiar cuando el hermano de su ex prometido David Mann-Formsby, conde de Renminster se acerca “a consolarla” y vuelve a resurgir su popularidad. Ese acercamiento tan noble por parte de David se convertirá en algo más profundo.
Viendo la barbaridad de libros que he leído de Julia Quinn no me asombra que le vuelva a dar e
Kathrynn
This is the first in the Whistledown Set and per the author's website, she does not consider the Whistledown set part of the Bridgerton series because none of the Bridgerton characters are involved. This book has 4 short stories that are all fun reads.

1. One True Love by Suzanne Enoch

2. Two Hearts by Karen Hawkins

3. A Dozen Kisses by Mia Ryan

4. Thirty-Six Valentines by Julia Quinn

Enjoy!
Sara ♥
September 5-7, 2012

Uhhh... I can't imagine there isn't anything I DIDN'T write in my previous review! I mean, GEESH! That review is almost an entire novella! *reads the novella* OMG! So cute! I want to read it again!!!! I'm going to get Lady Whistledown #2 (Lady Whistledown Strikes Back).... That's what I'll do...

September 22-24, 2010

Collection of novellas by Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Karen Hawkins, and Mia Ryan. All four stories are intertwined, which I've never seen before in anthologies! Bu
Cindy
Feb 20, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Regency romances, 3 with sex, 1 with implied sex. They all run concurrently & culminate on Valentine's Day at a ball. Each story has the other storie's characters making brief appearances at the theater, a skating party & finally at the ball.

Suzanne Enoch - 4 stars. This is a nice, if predictable tale. The couple has been betrothed since the girl was born 19 years ago (the boy was 7). They have never met, so the girl has been having fun in her beloved London, while the boy is running
Rexanne
May 23, 2015 Rexanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ONE TRUE LOVE
Anne and Maximilian- a socialite and a dashing sheep farmer, hah! They're a couple who conquered love by compromise. Their story is wonderful! I especially like the "goodnight and goodmorning" kisses
I give it 4/5 stars. This is my first Suzanne Enoch read. I'm interested in trying out her other works

TWO HEARTS
Liza and Royce- Their story is cute. It's about two people who have long been friends that slowly come to the realization that they're meant to be more than friends. Liza rem
Christine
Oct 05, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I should begin by saying that I don't often read novellas or short stories since I vastly prefer to spend the length of a full novel with characters that I come to love, but I've read everything else by Julia Quinn (I think), and so I picked up this collection of 4 novellas, written by Suzanne Enoch, Karen Hawkins, Mia Ryan, and Julia Quinn.

I found the overall format to be clever. The 4 stories parallelled one another, set in London during the winter of 1814. In each story, the characters went t
Cherie
Oct 16, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still great after all these years! Julia Quinn adds so much energy to the stories with Lady Whistledown plus her own story including Mr. Clive Snowne-Mann-Formsby. No one makes me giggle like Julia.

This quartet is a lot of great writing for the money. Each story is complete with memorable characters and believable contexts. I can't pick a favorite, I can't.
Leah Webber
Feb 24, 2012 Leah Webber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four fun and fluffy tales of the single (and married but slightly abandoned) ladies of old London town. I liked this one better than Lady Whistledown Strikes back.
Lucy
One True Love by Suzanne Enoch
- A cute little romance story
- I wasn't quite sure what Anne had against Yorkshire
- Hero and Heroine had good chemistry
- Sometimes the actions of the characters felt a little forced, as though they only happened to move the plot forward
- Perhaps a little forgettable?
- Overall 2.5 stars

Two Hearts by Karen Hawkins
- I adored this story!
- A great friends-to-lovers story
- Liza was a wonderful, unique character
- An older hero and heroine (31 and 39) makes a nice change fo
Jane Stewart
This book contains the following four stories.

5 stars for THIRTY-SIX VALENTINES by Julia Quinn.
Excellent story. I loved the characters Susannah and David. Their honesty was refreshing. There was also some wonderful and thoughtful conversation.
During the summer of 1813, Clive courted Susannah. Then, he publicly humiliated her by announcing that he was going to marry Harriet. Susannah became the subject of gossip, lies and ostracism. In January, 1814, Susannah was a wallflower at a party when Cliv
Patria
Nov 22, 2010 Patria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julia-quinn
Brianne
Dec 21, 2010 Brianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
I wish it were possible to give half stars, for I would much prefer to give this a 3.5 rating. However, simply for the presence of Lady Whistledown I have given it a four.

Lady Whistledown is one of my favorite characters of all of Quinn's, and I will most likely be rereading Romancing Mister Bridgerton, the book that reveals Lady Whistledown's true identity, in the next few days. I really enjoyed the way she tied each of the four stories together, even making her own surprise appearance.

I also
Rika - (The Unpretentious Reader)
For Julia Quinn who I love so much for not letting Lady Whistledown go.

And also for Paul, even though I don't know him but because of him I read dedications now.

..................Thirty Six Valentines..................

One comment:
Lady Whistledown is back and I can't believe how much I missed her.

This is not a Bridgerton story but have no fear, Julia Quinn doesn't disappoint (I'm not sure she knows how to).

Jilted by one brother -and society thought because he can do better(and he did). But this
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
The stories in this anthology are all set at the same time, around the same two big events, a skating party and a St. Valentines Day Ball, with each author taking on a different couple. This is part of the reason I liked this book so much, it gave each story a sense of continuity, rather then abruptly going from one story to the next as is the case with a lot of anthologies.

At the beginning of each chapter there is an extract from the Lady Whistledown paper giving you pieces of gossip and observ
Mary
Jul 22, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Julia Quinn fans, romance lovers
Shelves: romance
I have to admit that the only story in here that I have read is Julia Quinn's Thirty-six Valentines. I tried the others but never could get into them, but I bought this book only for Julia Quinn and Lady Whistledown, and in that I am utterly delighted. This is another that stays next to my bed.

It starts out so sad, a girl who had been one of the most popular beauties months before, courted by one of the most eligible men in London Society, only to be publicly dropped when he announced to an ent
Cristina
Feb 02, 2013 Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
4 escritoras, 4 histórias deliciosamente ligadas pela língua afiada da Lady Whistledown. A acção ocorre em simultâneo para as 4 novelas, entre Janeiro e 14 de fevereiro, as personagens de uma e outra encontram-se (algumas literalmente aos encontrões) e podemos vêr um mesmo episódio desde vários pontos de vista, anticipar o que vai acontecer à personagem e, claro está, rir bastante. A personagem masculina da 3ª historia merecia, a meu vêr, um bocadinho mais de profundidade: poder-se-ia ter explor ...more
Elaine
Aug 25, 2012 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-finish
I did like this book and would have finished it. It was a library book that expired today. I didn't love it enough to purchase it though. So I have added a need to finish shelve and will check it out again sometime!
I did finish the first story.

I will say again I do not like short stories. I didn't realize it was a short story until I started reading it. I will say it was interesting the way Julia Quinn wrote the first story 3.5 and as the second story followed by Suzanne Enoch I noticed it was
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
Oh, that was sweet. And cute. And funny. I enjoyed all of the stories, they were all kind of different from the usual regency, but I must say Mia Ryan's story (which was also the shortest) caught me most with its freshness. And, not strangely for me, it was JQ's story that I most enjoyed - her style of writing just clicks for me, I guess.

And lady Whistledown, ah, lady Whistledown. Adore her, truly. There is nothing like a bit of Lady W's writings to make you scoff, snort and smile.
Betzacosta Fiction
me encanta Lady Whistledown, obviamente
me gusto la historia, dulce y corta
romance historico con dialogos coquetos y sarcasticos
Sammy
3.5 Quick read Novella Stars

Only read:
'Thirty-Six Valentines' by Julia Quinn & loved the short story ...
Cljenson
Jan 23, 2013 Cljenson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think people should exclaim "raspberries and cream" more often
Tonya Warner
Jul 07, 2015 Tonya Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Four fun tales of romance in the winter in England.

Sam
Jan 25, 2017 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the second half of this book, but if I hadn't known there was a Julia Quinn story waiting for me at the end, I might not have finished it after reading the first two.

I was over halfway through Suzanne Enoch's story when I realized that I truly did not care if the two main characters ended up together or not. I didn't particularly care for either one. Anne was a bit of a spoiled brat, and her guy wasn't particularly interesting, either. I just didn't care about them.

I liked the
  • Where's My Hero? (The Gamblers of Craven's #2.5; Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5; Splendid, #3.5)
  • Talk of the Ton
  • Hero, Come Back
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, #2.5; Neville Family & Friends, #0.5; Desperate Debutantes, #3.5)
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
  • A Belated Bride (Rogues, #2)
  • The One That Got Away (includes: Effingtons, #8.5)
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an ...more
More about Julia Quinn...

Lady Whistledown (2 books)
  • Lady Whistledown Strikes Back (Lady Whistledown, #2)

“It was truly an abomination of nature that one always found the most comfortable spot in the bed five minutes before one had to leave it.” 15 likes
“Call me Maximilian.'
A sheep farmer. He's a sheep farmer, she reminded herself fiercely. One who lived in Yorkshire, of all places. 'Very well, Maximilian,' she said.”
1 likes