The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Includes: Lady Whistledown, #1)

The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Lady Whistledown #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  4,103 ratings  ·  121 reviews
Lady Whistledown Tells All!

Society is abuzz when the Season's most promising debutante is jilted by her intended -- only to be swept away by the deceitful rogue's dashing older brother -- in New York Times bestseller Julia Quinn's witty, charming, and heartfelt tale.

When the scandalous actions of his beautiful fiancée are recorded in Lady Whistledown's column, a concerned

Hardcover, Large Print, 552 pages
Published December 31st 2003 by Wheeler Publishing (first published 2003)

Dina
Four novellas linked by Lady Whistledown´s Society Papers (first introduced by Julia Quinn in her Bridgeton series):

- 'One True Love' by Suzanne Enoch (3 stars): The heroine, Anne, ruined the story for me. Even though the hero, Maximilian, came to think she was not as spoiled as he previously though, her actions throughout the story didn´t support his way of thinking. If Maximilian had decided to leave Anne in London and go back to Yorkshire without her, I wouldn´t have been unhappy. That´s how...more
Cheryl
One True Love by Suzanne Enoch- 4 stars

I love a story where the hero has to chase the heroine.. and a merry chase does she take him on! Cute little story!

Two Hearts by Karen Hawkins- 5 stars

This hero had my heart all a-flutter!! Royce! *sigh* I would have loved for this story to be full length so I could get more of his yumminess!

Royce and Liza have been friends for 21 years and until she starts looking for a husband neither of them realized their growing attraction or love for one another.. lo...more
FlibBityFLooB
This anthology was one of my favorites to read, mostly because all the stories were interwoven together, despite being written by four separate authors. Perhaps that is common in historical romance anthologies, but I have never read an anthology before where everything was interconnected.

The Bridgerton family does not make an appearance in this anthology, though Penelope the Wallflower does at one point.

I found all four stories to be entertaining. If you enjoyed the Julia Quinn Bridgerton series...more
Anna D.
5 stars - 36 Valentines (David & Susannah)
The most accurate way to describe this story is captured in one word -- “Aww...” What a sweet story!! I loved it. There’s nothing like a big, strong, serious man getting flustered and resorting to writing valentines all in the name of love for an unlikely heroine. This was a perfect short story… as much as I like the H/h, I don’t think their story could have been a full length book. *David is the swoon worthy hero in this collection*

3 stars – Two Hea...more
Kathrynn
This is the first in the Whistledown Set and per the author's website, she does not consider the Whistledown set part of the Bridgerton series because none of the Bridgerton characters are involved. This book has 4 short stories that are all fun reads.

1. One True Love by Suzanne Enoch

2. Two Hearts by Karen Hawkins

3. A Dozen Kisses by Mia Ryan

4. Thirty-Six Valentines by Julia Quinn

Enjoy!
Cindy
4 Regency romances, 3 with sex, 1 with implied sex. They all run concurrently & culminate on Valentine's Day at a ball. Each story has the other storie's characters making brief appearances at the theater, a skating party & finally at the ball.

Suzanne Enoch - 4 stars. This is a nice, if predictable tale. The couple has been betrothed since the girl was born 19 years ago (the boy was 7). They have never met, so the girl has been having fun in her beloved London, while the boy is running...more
Christine
I should begin by saying that I don't often read novellas or short stories since I vastly prefer to spend the length of a full novel with characters that I come to love, but I've read everything else by Julia Quinn (I think), and so I picked up this collection of 4 novellas, written by Suzanne Enoch, Karen Hawkins, Mia Ryan, and Julia Quinn.

I found the overall format to be clever. The 4 stories parallelled one another, set in London during the winter of 1814. In each story, the characters went t...more
Sara ♥
September 5-7, 2012

Uhhh... I can't imagine there isn't anything I DIDN'T write in my previous review! I mean, GEESH! That review is almost an entire novella! *reads the novella* OMG! So cute! I want to read it again!!!! I'm going to get Lady Whistledown #2 (Lady Whistledown Strikes Back).... That's what I'll do...

September 22-24, 2010

Collection of novellas by Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Karen Hawkins, and Mia Ryan. All four stories are intertwined, which I've never seen before in anthologies! Bu...more
Christy Stewart
It was cute, sweet, yadda, yadda. I want to give my kudos to Mia Ryan for having her leading man be shot in the head and have subsequent brain damage. If I had known that, I would have read this book ages ago.

Do me a favor, anyone reading this review, if you know of books where the lead gets shot in the head, tip me off to them. Thanks.

PS. Did Mia Ryan die? Her work in these books are so good but she hasn't published anything in years.

Katrina Passick Lumsden
It is really difficult to write a review of a book that has stories from different authors. I chose to stick with the middle ground for this one because I didn't enjoy every story.

One True Love by Suzanne Enoch - One star

I've never been a huge fan of Ms. Enoch's, and this book brought home the reason for my misgivings. Lady Anne Bishop has been betrothed to Maximilian, Earl of Halfurst, since birth. When the story begins, Anne is 19 and thoroughly enjoying an unexpectedly cold and snowy Janu...more
Jane Stewart
This book contains the following four stories.

5 stars for THIRTY-SIX VALENTINES by Julia Quinn.
Excellent story. I loved the characters Susannah and David. Their honesty was refreshing. There was also some wonderful and thoughtful conversation.
During the summer of 1813, Clive courted Susannah. Then, he publicly humiliated her by announcing that he was going to marry Harriet. Susannah became the subject of gossip, lies and ostracism. In January, 1814, Susannah was a wallflower at a party when Cliv...more
Patria
Rika - (The Unpretentious Reader)
For Julia Quinn who I love so much for not letting Lady Whistledown go.

And also for Paul, even though I don't know him but because of him I read dedications now.

..................Thirty Six Valentines..................

One comment:
Lady Whistledown is back and I can't believe how much I missed her.

This is not a Bridgerton story but have no fear, Julia Quinn doesn't disappoint (I'm not sure she knows how to).

Jilted by one brother -and society thought because he can do better(and he did). But this...more
Brianne
I wish it were possible to give half stars, for I would much prefer to give this a 3.5 rating. However, simply for the presence of Lady Whistledown I have given it a four.

Lady Whistledown is one of my favorite characters of all of Quinn's, and I will most likely be rereading Romancing Mister Bridgerton, the book that reveals Lady Whistledown's true identity, in the next few days. I really enjoyed the way she tied each of the four stories together, even making her own surprise appearance.

I also...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
The stories in this anthology are all set at the same time, around the same two big events, a skating party and a St. Valentines Day Ball, with each author taking on a different couple. This is part of the reason I liked this book so much, it gave each story a sense of continuity, rather then abruptly going from one story to the next as is the case with a lot of anthologies.

At the beginning of each chapter there is an extract from the Lady Whistledown paper giving you pieces of gossip and observ...more
Cristina
4 escritoras, 4 histórias deliciosamente ligadas pela língua afiada da Lady Whistledown. A acção ocorre em simultâneo para as 4 novelas, entre Janeiro e 14 de fevereiro, as personagens de uma e outra encontram-se (algumas literalmente aos encontrões) e podemos vêr um mesmo episódio desde vários pontos de vista, anticipar o que vai acontecer à personagem e, claro está, rir bastante. A personagem masculina da 3ª historia merecia, a meu vêr, um bocadinho mais de profundidade: poder-se-ia ter explor...more
Elaine Mcdonald
I did like this book and would have finished it. It was a library book that expired today. I didn't love it enough to purchase it though. So I have added a need to finish shelve and will check it out again sometime!
I did finish the first story.

I will say again I do not like short stories. I didn't realize it was a short story until I started reading it. I will say it was interesting the way Julia Quinn wrote the first story 3.5 and as the second story followed by Suzanne Enoch I noticed it was...more
Golly
Overall- 3.5 stars

Some Spoilers.

Suzanne Enoch: One True Love (2 stars)

Anne ruined the story for me. Even though, we were supposed to believe that she wasn't a spoiled brat, her actions throughout the novel were to the contrary. First of all, she was a terrible flirt. I have no dislike for flirts in particular, but I simply hated the way Anne pretended to not know that she was leading Lord Howard (nasty character) on. To be frank, I felt a little sorry for him, even though he was constantly demea...more
Cherie Jensen
Still great after all these years! Julia Quinn adds so much energy to the stories with Lady Whistledown plus her own story including Mr. Clive Snowne-Mann-Formsby. No one makes me giggle like Julia.

This quartet is a lot of great writing for the money. Each story is complete with memorable characters and believable contexts. I can't pick a favorite, I can't.
Fionna
Just talking about personal preferences.

I didn't really like the story by Mia Ryan because I didn't like to read about characters who couldn't express themselves properly.

Then I thought of Simon from The Duke and I. I liked Simon very much. I probably just couldn't stand this hero in "A Dozen Kisses". Somehow I didn't think he still had all his wits. He sounded a bit like an imbecile to me.

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding. I would like to read more from Mia Ryan anyway.

The rest were really goo...more
Leah Webber
Four fun and fluffy tales of the single (and married but slightly abandoned) ladies of old London town. I liked this one better than Lady Whistledown Strikes back.
Betzacosta Fiction
me encanta Lady Whistledown, obviamente
me gusto la historia, dulce y corta
romance historico con dialogos coquetos y sarcasticos
Cljenson
I think people should exclaim "raspberries and cream" more often
Edan Marie Esquibel
Oh God. WHERE ARE ALL THE MEN IN THIS CENTURY?? and by "men,"... you know what I mean

This books is just so unfair.. 4 rare, male species all in one novel. Where is the justice in that? Can't I have one of those?

SERIOUSLY.
--------------------------------------------------------

I just love happy endings they fill that "lacking" part in my life and they way their stories are somewhat related to each other.

Btw, I'm rating all stories 4 stars :D
All heroes are swoon worthy (as they should)... but...more
Becca
This book included a series of four interconnected novellas that take place around a bitterly cold Valentine's Day in 1814. Other reviewers have summarized each of the novellas so I'm not going to repeat that here. None of the novellas were stand out reads for me, but it still enjoyed them all.

Suzanne Enoch's story centered around a couple that were engaged as children but had never met. When our hero finally does meet our heroine, she is not quite ready to succumb to marriage. While many reader...more
Jessi
Suzanne Enoch's "One True Love" has Lady Anne Bishop, who has been betrothed to the Marquis of Halfurst since she was a child. However, she's convinced that the sheep farmer will never come for her. However, the unthinkable has happened. The Thames has frozen over and the Marquis has come to claim his bride. But can he convince a town-bred woman that she will enjoy living in the country side?
In "Two Hearts" by Karen Hawkins, Sir Royce Pemberly finally realizes that his sister's best friend, the...more
Pamela Galloway
Summary: This book is really four intertwined novellas by four different authors (Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Karen Hawkins, and Mia Ryan). The stories all take place during the same setting (London, 1814), and have similar events in common. The ones I can remember are the Merchant of Venice, featuring Edmund Sean as Shylock, the Moreland's skating party on the Thames (that's right, the winter is so cold that the Thames froze over, which mean that all those gents who said..."when the Thames free...more
Lea
One True Love by Suzanne Enoch - 3 stars
Cute story, I liked that he worked for her hand even though he could have just taken her off and married her since it was all arranged from her birth. He was sexy and I enjoyed how much of his inner monologue we got to read... nice to have the guy doing the chasing and falling hard!

Two Hearts by Karen Hawkins - 3 stars
I like a story with a woman who not only makes her own choices but also has the money to live on her own, especially in the historical roman...more
Elenariel
Not a bad read, but less funny and entertaining than the other anthology, the four stories felt less smoothly connected and the situations descripted were rather too similar to each other, they all follow the same scheme/path and give the same feeling, that could be said for the type of characters too (the characters I enjoyed the most were the three cats in the third story... I think it tells something). I also had a déjà vu feeling with some of the Bridgerton books by Quinn herself, and Ashley...more
Mti Librarian
  • Where's My Hero?  (Gamblers, #3 / Brotherhood - MacAllister's, #4.5 / Splendid, #3.5)
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • Talk of the Ton
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Lady Rogue
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, Anthology 1)
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2)
  • The Marriage Lesson (Effingtons, #3)
  • Confessions of a Scoundrel (Talisman Ring, #2)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and in 2001 she did so in grand style, competing on the the game show The Weakest Link and walking away with the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British an...more
More about Julia Quinn...
The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3)

“It was truly an abomination of nature that one always found the most comfortable spot in the bed five minutes before one had to leave it.” 12 likes
“Call me Maximilian.'
A sheep farmer. He's a sheep farmer, she reminded herself fiercely. One who lived in Yorkshire, of all places. 'Very well, Maximilian,' she said.”
1 likes