Start by marking “Samantha and the Cowboy” as Want to Read:
Samantha and the Cowboy

Samantha and the Cowboy

Samantha

When she manages to get herself hired for the cattle drive, all of Samantha's prayers seem to be answered. The hundred dollars she'll earn will pull her family's Texas farm out of ruin and pay off their debts. But keeping the cowhands fooled that she's a boy becomes harder than she'd expected where one cowboy in particular is concerned.

The Cowboy

Matthew Hart wants

Paperback, An Avon True Romance #1, 250 pages
Published April 30th 2002 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Samantha and the Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Samantha and the Cowboy

Allison
This book is part of the Avon teen historical romance series. I picked it up because I enjoyed a couple of other books in the series (by a different author, though), and hoped for the same quality from another author. No such luck. I guess the cheesy cover should have been my first clue.

This was a great idea, poorly executed. There was so much potential - a girl poses as a boy to get a job driving cattle, suffers hardships and danger, and falls in love with a cowboy along the way. This should ha
Emily
Apr 09, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
This book was a lot better than I thought it would be; and it took me a lot less time to finish than I thought it would as well. It not only taught me about the cattle drives in the 1860s, but I also learned that you can do anything you want to do if you just put your mind to it and work hard.
The thing I liked about this book was that even though Matt didn't know Sam, he still cared. I also like how it's so much like Mulan the Disney Movie. In some ways it's different; like how this is western,
Beth
Jan 03, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
Avon True Romance presents Harlequin-style fare: beautiful people fall in love at first sight and then must overcome some conflict to be together, the conflict usually being that one of them already has a significant other. In this series, the beautiful people happen to be young adults.

In Samantha and the Cowboy, a southern belle who has spent much of the war supporting her family and doing a man's work disguises herself as a boy and joins a cattle herding expedition to make the $100 her family
Lexie
Jun 02, 2016 Lexie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
For all the fact it was meant as a teenage romance novel, the book very easily could have been a regular historical romance (if you changed the ages of the hero and heroine that is). Its not racy, but in almost every other respect the romance was handled in a decidedly mature way, as was the plot.

Samantha, or Sam as she's known for the better part of the book, is just like any other teen girl. True her formative years were spent taking care of her family during the Civil War, with her father de
Jadaloves
Dec 27, 2012 Jadaloves rated it really liked it
After seeing an advertisement for a cattle drive that will pay 100 bucks upon completion, Samantha thinks its just the opportunity to pay off her family’s debt at the local store, and ease some of her mother’s burdens. But when her brother Ben, who lost an arm in the war, refuses to go, she chops her hair, dons her younger brother’s clothes, and becomes Sam the greenhand, and sets out to help her family. She is paired with Matt, who has been charged with helping her become a productive hand. But ...more
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
It's 1866 in the small town of Faithful, Texas, and sixteen-year-old Samantha Reynolds is desperate. Every since her father died, the family has struggled to keep their farm running. They've fallen into debt, and her older brother, still bitter over the loss of an arm in the Civil War, refuses to find a job to help out the family. Samantha is determined to help her overburdened mother, but the scheme she comes up with is risky. She cuts her hair and disguises herself as a young boy, "Sam," and ...more
This is an adorably cute book! Samantha Jane wants to help her family earn some much needed money. Her father passed away 3 years earlier and her brother returned from the war (Civil War) missing an arm, so the family is lacking in men. Her brother can do the work, but he is still bitter over the loss of his arm.
Samantha decides to become Sam and claim to be a boy so that she can go on a cattle drive and earn $100 for her family. She makes the crew, but spends her time fearing her secret will be
Carson
Aug 04, 2015 Carson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I read this several years ago, I still remember every second of reading this highly addictive book.
Samantha and the Cowboy is a book featured in the now out of print series Avon True Romance for Teens, all of which are historical fiction, each talking place in a different location and time.
Samantha and the Cowboy takes place in the days of the Wild West. Her father has died, leaving them unable to even pay for the burial, let alone proper shelter, clothing, or food. Samantha, the oldest,
Jules
If you want some epic, complex saga with complex, far-out story lines, keep looking. This story was short, simple, perhaps a bit cliche....and that's why I liked it! There's a reason why certain story lines---like the whole "girl dresses up as a boy to fool her peers, and ends up falling for one"--are done over and over again....because they work! I liked it in Mulan, I liked it in some 80s movie whose name I can't recall ('Just One of the Guys', I think?), and I liked it here. And as for the ...more
Robin
Jul 26, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Needing to earn money to support her family, Samantha Reynolds disguised herself as a boy to get a job on a cattle drive. One young cowboy, Matthew Hart, decides to hire Sam for the drive. He feels responsible for the young greenhorn and teaches Sam how to be a good cowhand. But when Matt discovers that Sam is a girl, he is furious. As his feelings for her become stronger, he doesn't know whether to keep her secret or reveal his feelings for her.

This is a cute story that young, teenage girls sho
Sandra
Jan 01, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it
Right after the Civil War, Samantha's family is hard up for cash with their father gone and their farm failing. When Samantha sees an ad at the store to join a herding group for one hundred dollars, she cuts her hair and steals some of her brother's clothes to join. But what she doesn't expect is to fall for her fellow cowboy, Matt, who has been put in charge of teaching her the ropes.

This was a unique romance in that half the book was spent with one half of the couple not knowing what was going
Melyssa
I quite enjoyed this book... It was just a breezy, no brainer kind of book. It made me smile at all the right times and "The Evita stuff made me tingle." (Ten gajillion fake bonus points to who ever can guess that reference!)

But seriously... I loved that it was just the right mix of romance, history and adventure. :)

And I am blaming Cynthia Hand for my current obsession with cowboys. After reading Unearthly I just want to pick up all cowboy books and fall in love with all of them. :)
Maja
Dec 26, 2010 Maja rated it liked it
The only thing that really stuck with me throughout this entire book was how predictable it was. There were no suprises, nothing you couldn't forsee. It was a young girl who pretended to be a boy in order to earn money for her family. But she falls in love with one of the cowboys and he discovers her secret. Ba-da! Not very original - just think about Tamora Pierce's 'Alanna'. Or Disney's 'Mulan'. So no, not original. It was also quite short, and as a result of this the story, the characters and ...more
Taylor
Dec 14, 2011 Taylor rated it it was ok
Shelves: cute-and-fun
I am NOT a fan of romance (with the exception of some outstanding novels with romantic subplots). Still, this book was enjoyable - not necessarily the romantic side of it, but it was kind of like a romantic comedy. I loved the humor in it! I'm a small-town girl and a lot of my friends are cowboys, so I understand a lot of the situations Samantha got herself - they're very realistic and hilarious when happening to another person/character haha! =D
If you like romantic comedy and historical fiction
Alyssa
Jessie
Jan 19, 2012 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loveydovey
Great young adult historical fiction love story. I especially like stories where the girl hides her identity as a boy to accomplish something great. The only reason I gave it four stars was because I didn't agree with the two being in the water together, skinny dipping, even though they didn't even touch each other. Fun, quick read.
Jessica
Apr 20, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-bookshelf
This was a cute, fast read. I love Lorraine Heath! I was a little put off with the ages of the main characters and was slightly disappointed that there were no love scenes, but then I read somewhere that this was a YA. Not so disappointed anymore! :) Overall though the story was pretty good. Nothing too big and devastating happened but it was good none-the-less
Amanda Sheila
I loved this book.

For a second I though this book's going to be like Mulan, but in the end, definitely not. I loved the way Matthew treated Sam, even though he could be such a snob sometimes but he's very sweet. I liked him.

I still can't get over the way Samantha's older brother, Benjamin, treated his family. I wish there'll be his own book.

Overall I enjoyed this book so much. Good one!
Pamela
Aug 11, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-read-2014
I really enjoyed this book! I really like this author in general. But throw in historical fiction and what if situations with strong female characters, and I am rolling over and rubbing my own belly.

Imagine a woman disguising herself as a boy to go on a cattle drive from Texas to Kansas (?) back in the 1800s.

Nellie
Jun 21, 2011 Nellie rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-action
I loved it! Action packed and very fun. Clean all the way through, no cussing that I recall. I would let my teen daughter read this. ( A little french kissing is all) Very romantic. I enjoyed the story line, and the characters. The ending seemed like it could have continued a bit farther, all in all...very good. I will look forward to reading Lorraine Heath again.
Kelly
Jul 23, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
not gonna lie, yes i kniw this is fluffy romance junk...but i still really love the whole series. this one isnt my favorite...but there was a sexy cowboy and some nakedness so.......

still worth the read!!!!!
That One Geek Girl
Apr 02, 2013 That One Geek Girl rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-ya, het-romance
A nice blast from the past for me. I loved the Avon True Romance series for teens when I was in middle school. Ten years later, I still enjoyed this sweet and squeaky clean romance. Nothing groundbreaking or great, but still a quick and enjoyable read.
Diane
May 16, 2015 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected

I have enjoyed most of the author's novels. This book is well written but reads more like a short story for young adults. For a teen, I think it's fine. As an adult it wasn't as enjoyable as Heath's other books.
Kendra
Great book! Turns out I read this several years ago (before I discovered goodreads!). Interesting plot paired with a strong and independent heroine paired with a kind but tortured hero, great book. Definitely recommend.
Juliewheatcox.Net
Aug 03, 2015 Juliewheatcox.Net rated it really liked it
A great young adult romance. I loved that Samantha was such a strong character and accomplished everything she set her mind on.
Kasey
Aug 03, 2011 Kasey rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Nothing really stands out about it but it was just a good quick read that held my attention. It's a teen romance book with a cute story.
Ashley Downey
Jun 16, 2014 Ashley Downey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

This was the fifth book from this series that I had read. It was great book and I loved it.
Amber JoLynn
May 12, 2009 Amber JoLynn rated it really liked it
So good. Who doesn't love a good story of forbidden romance? Especially when the romance is forbidden because the girl is pulling a twelfth night?
Yanmei
Sep 14, 2007 Yanmei rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance and fun
if you like adventure books then you will like this. Have fun with Samantha disguise as a boy in order to ride as a cowbot. It is fun and great to read.
Leah
It was good. You definitely wanted to read through to the end, but at the same time you knew what would happen.
Heroines in pants/girls dressed as boys 1 1 Jan 17, 2016 09:52PM
  • Emily and the Scot (The MacLaughlins, #2)
  • Catherine and the Pirate
  • Gwyneth and the Thief
  • Miranda and the Warrior
  • Josephine and the Soldier
  • Tess And The Highlander (MacPherson Clan, #6)
  • Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)
  • Into the Wind (American Dreams, #1)
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • Audrey and the Maverick (Men of Defiance, #2)
  • Pieces of Sky (Blood Rose, #1)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Sunrise Over Texas
  • The Education of Madeline (Plum Creek, #1)
  • Nicola and the Viscount
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during
More about Lorraine Heath...