Start by marking “Raising Chickens for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Raising Chickens for Dummies

Raising Chickens for Dummies

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Practical how-to advice for raising chickens in virtually any backyard! Raising chickens on a small scale is a popular-and growing-pastime. And Raising Chickens For Dummies provides an up-to-date, thorough introduction to all aspects of caring for chickens, including choosing and purchasing chickens, constructing housing, and proper feeding. Raising Chickens For Dummies pr ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by For Dummies (first published July 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Chickens for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Chickens for Dummies

Creative Writing for Dummies by Maggie HamandBlogging for Dummies by Brad HillPublic Speaking for Dummies by Malcolm KushnerSelf-Publishing for Dummies by Jason R. RichPiano for Dummies [With Play-Along] by Blake Neely
For Dummies Series
98th out of 274 books — 54 voters
The Case of the Wayward Fae ~ A Chronicle of Mister Marmee by H.L.  StephensPlumedini's True Tales of Super Chicken Freaks as Retold by C... by John Brady WoodsonLove Among the Chickens by P.G. WodehouseAnimal Farm by George OrwellKeeping Chickens with Ashley English by Ashley English
Chicken Books
54th out of 88 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Christopher
Aug 05, 2013 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I learned about chickens and I'm no longer a dummy!
Marc Bunn
Dec 16, 2015 Marc Bunn rated it liked it
well it was with bated breath I awaited this books arrival into my life.
would it stand up Storey's Guide to Raising chickens? Would I be as captivated? as Utterly Engrossed as I was during my Storey's guide read.
The only answer now I can summon, is yes!!
Right from the start it pulled me in! What is the joy of chicken raising? I found my answer. How do I house them? I found the shelter I desperately seeked.
As each paged turned I found myself looking at the world through the eyes of the chicken.
Tiffany
Sep 05, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Well, I certainly know more about raising chickens than I did before I read this book. I'll admit, this was not my preferred nighttime reading material and so I banished it to the less coveted spot of lunchtime perusal. Embarrassingly enough, on more than one occasion of this eat and read routine, I would find myself in the middle of a particularly delightful bite of some type of chicken dish (chicken salad sandwich, spicy buffalo chicken dip, etc.) and I would wonder if I was being just a littl ...more
Holly
Sep 14, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it
Super informative. Had a hard time getting through some of the parasite parts and "how to kill your chickens yourself" parts, but that's on me and my overly sensitive nature.
Brittany
May 26, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful

Great info for beginners to raising chickens! I'm so happy I read this book before I got my chickens. Must have
Bobby
Mar 14, 2015 Bobby rated it really liked it
Excellent go-to reference for the small flock owner. Knowledge provides confidence and removes fear based on ignorance, and specialized knowledge of this sort can be hard to find in one place. I got this book to dispel some of my anxiety and clumsiness about owning chickens for the first time, and it fulfilled that need very well. What it doesn't cover can be found at www.backyardchickens.com. Could use more illustrations or diagrams in some parts, but this is definitely staying on my shelf (and ...more
Kurt
Mar 31, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it
I studied this book for a couple of months before getting my three chickens. I now consult it on a regular basis to answer the questions that keep popping up as I get my hands-on experience with my chickens.

This is an all-around great book for getting started with chicken raising. It is also a great reference book. The only fault I found with it is that it could use a few more pages on coop designs and specifics.
Jun 06, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I'm now ready to be a chicken owner.
I love these books - so practical.
Rebecca
Jun 16, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
A great resource for the first-time chicken owner. Straightforward, easy to read and understand, and structured well for finding the answer to a particular question about feed, housing, etc. I recommend this book over any of the others I've read for someone new to raising chickens.
Claudia
Jan 02, 2013 Claudia rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful to us as we were setting up our backyard coop. There is tons of information on everything you could want or need to know. I would recommend this book to anyone just starting out with chickens.
Tamara Taylor
Jan 16, 2011 Tamara Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-farm
THE best book I have found for chicken keepers. Very comprehensive, covers everything you need to know to have a backyard flock or a small farm operation. I would recommend to anyone looking at getting into chickens.
Sarenna
Jan 04, 2014 Sarenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
Very informative and easy to read. great for the complete novice (like me).
Mindy
Jun 19, 2011 Mindy rated it liked it
Very helpful and informative. We are loving our chicken so far. This book really helped us get all set up for them and know what to expect. I recommend it if you are looking to get chickens.
Tracy
Dec 07, 2014 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
While many of what is written in this book can be found in others and on the www.backyardchickens.com website; it was nice to have everything all lumped together between a single cover.
Erin Edwards
Jan 24, 2010 Erin Edwards rated it it was amazing
This book is honestly a must-have for the bookshelf of anyone with a backyard flock. I find myself returning to it with questions that come up even though I am no longer a beginner.
Clarissa Allen
Aug 04, 2011 Clarissa Allen rated it really liked it
Good tutorial, not gonna finish it tho cause our chickens are over a year old now, so we mostly know what to do on an everyday basis. Great reference book tho, if something is outta wack.
Jeffrey
Jan 26, 2013 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Very informative book about all aspects of raising chickens. I recommend this to anyone thinking about raising chickens.
Katrina
May 07, 2012 Katrina rated it really liked it
Excellent resource! Definitely educational and helpful to anyone not familiar with chickens and how to raise them.
Robyn
Sep 28, 2009 Robyn rated it liked it
This was a research book and not a story kind of book. If you are thinking of getting chickens this one is for you.
C is for **censored**
May 19, 2014 C is for **censored** rated it really liked it
Shelves: chickens-etc
The star rating given reflects my opinion within ‘the official goodreads rating system’.

1 star: Didn’t Like it
2 stars: It’s Okay
3 stars: Liked it
4 stars: Really Liked it
5 stars: It Was Amazing

I don’t really give a rat-fuck that there are some who think I ‘owe’ an explanation for my opinion. Nope, nada, and not sorry about it.

Sometimes I may add notes to explain what my opinions are based on, and sometimes I don’t. I do this for me, on my books, in my library and I don’t ‘owe’ any special snowfla
Kimberly
Apr 16, 2012 Kimberly rated it liked it
Still trying to decide if I want to get chickens, but this was a great informational resource.
Courtney
Sep 10, 2010 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-i-own, g-gardening, 2010
Who doesn't want pet chickens? Good information about raising. But not a lot abous selecting
Bren
Dec 01, 2015 Bren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome resource, the _ _ _ _ _ For Dummies series is a clever concept, works for me!
Leslie
Oct 07, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
Answered a lot of my questions and I know I will be referring to it periodically.
Jen
Apr 25, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Explained many details I needed to know in simple terms. An easy read, and informative!
Kevin
Mar 23, 2010 Kevin rated it really liked it
Just as you'd expect from the title... Good summary of all of the basics.
Michelle
Oct 05, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A pretty great book if you are thinking of raising chickens.
MJ
Oct 24, 2012 MJ rated it liked it
No pictures a big drawback in my opinion.
Mamie Converse
May 10, 2013 Mamie Converse rated it it was amazing
very informative and well organized
Apr 29, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Easy to understand and informative
  • Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide to Enjoying and Getting the Best from Chickens
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care / Feeding / Facilities
  • The Joy of Keeping Chickens: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Poultry for Fun or Profit
  • Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden
  • Cats for Dummies
  • Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide
  • Dog Training For Dummies (For Dummies)
  • City Chicks: Keeping Micro-Flocks of Laying Hens as Garden Helpers, Compost Makers, Bio-Recyclers and Local Food Suppliers
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • Horses For Dummies
  • Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades: The Complete Guide to Natural Gardening
  • Kittens For Dummies