Start by marking “Knitted Socks East and West: 30 Designs Inspired by Japanese Stitch Patterns” as Want to Read:
Knitted Socks East and West: 30 Designs Inspired by Japanese Stitch Patterns

Knitted Socks East and West: 30 Designs Inspired by Japanese Stitch Patterns

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In Knitted Socks East and West, author Judy Sumner compares knitting a sock to writing a haiku: both challenge you to create something beautiful and original within a sparse, strict format. In this, her first book, she recounts how she came to study hundreds of exquisite Japanese stitch patters and then apply her new knowledge to the sock designs showcased here.

Whether sho
Published September 1st 2009 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Knitted Socks East and West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitted Socks East and West

Lauren
May 15, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
For the passionate sock knitter, this book is a must. It contains beautiful patterns, adapted and inspired by Japanese stitch dictionaries and charts. Sumner uses several weights of yarn throughout the book(there is even a pair of socks in Manos del Uruguay in this book... which may not be the best wearability/durability choice, but still pretty!). The majority of socks are constructed top-down and include many notes and full charts.

I cast on for the Fan Tabi socks and realized soon after that
M
Jan 12, 2014 M rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, hobbies

I received this book as a gift, and it is great. The pictures are beautiful and styled in a great way.

The projects come in a variety of yarn thicknesses and styles, from fingering weight to worsted and anklets to legwarmers, so there's bound to be something you'd want to knit. The projects are lovely, and with some techniques I'd never seen before (but I am still a new knitter).

The patterns seems fairly clear; they are both charted and written out. I'm one for always adjusting the pattern so the
Daisy
Jan 05, 2011 Daisy marked it as to-read
Shelves: knitting
Pretty photographs and new skills to learn. This was a splurge (like I need any more sock knitting books) but oh well.
Lee Mascorro
Jan 14, 2015 Lee Mascorro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I loved all the patterns. I have been looking for a pattern for knee sock for awhile and this book has several. They are all gorgeous! I enjoyed the different techniques that were shared. I love how the author explained the background and culture with each sock. Having been to Japan, reading more about the culture brought back many wonderful memories of my time spent there. Judy Sumner has done an excellent job of demonstrating knitting itself, is truly a universal language and expression
Colleen
Apr 15, 2015 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting, reviewed
I got some serious SSS (Second Sock Syndrome) with this book. The patterns are beautiful, but don't hold my interest the way I had hoped they would. Also, if you are not using the "suggested" yarn, it is sometimes hard to figure out what kind of yarn to use and how much is needed. I had to research the yarns on Ravelry before I knew what weight to use and how much yardage I would need.
Sara
Apr 12, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Judy was a facebook friend who designed the first pair of socks that I ever knit. She was upbeat and friendly and helped so many people in their knitting journeys. I was sad to watch her fight with cancer and sad to hear that she had lost. I am glad that I was able to purchase a copy of her book and will treasure it - and knit some of there for my Japan-crazy daughter!
Ifurita
Nov 29, 2010 Ifurita rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
This is definitely an interesting sock book. The exotic pattern stitches are eye-opening. I find some of the designs too impractical for me, but overall there are a lot of patterns I wouldn't mind making. The lack of sizing options is something of a drawback, though.
Kate
Apr 24, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Gorgeous patterns. Good for people who are not fans of knitting from the toe up; all but two or three of the patterns are toe up socks. Definitely want to try a few of these.
Kristine
Nov 18, 2009 Kristine added it
Shelves: knitting
I would have liked to see more closeups of the stitch patterns, with the unique japanese stitches used. Tsunami had some cool stitches in it.
Tisha
Apr 20, 2015 Tisha rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
This book was mostly chunky yarn socks. Nothing I was interested in knitting and mostly without Japanese style
Debbie Brown
Debbie Brown rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Nora
Nora rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Toni Prekker
Toni Prekker rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2016
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Lauren Lane
Lauren Lane rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
melody conroy
melody conroy is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Suvi
Suvi rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Kajola
Kajola marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Humbledaisy
Humbledaisy rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Samantha Cooper
Samantha Cooper rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
JoLene
JoLene added it
Jan 02, 2016
Silke
Silke added it
Dec 27, 2015
A.
A. rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Storm Weaver
Storm Weaver rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015