Rework

Rework

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  35,607 ratings  ·  1,873 reviews
Most business books give you the same old advice: Write a business plan, study the competition, seek investors, yadda yadda. If you're looking for a book like that, put this one back on the shelf.

Rework shows you a better, faster, easier way to succeed in business. Read it and you'll know why plans are actually harmful, why you don't need outside investors, and why you're...more
Published March 9th 2010 by Crown Business (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rework, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rework

Rework by Jason FriedLinchpin by Seth GodinMade to Stick by Chip HeathThe Total Money Makeover by Dave RamseyDrive by Daniel H. Pink
What Matters Now
1st out of 65 books — 90 voters
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by Jim CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
Best Business Books
19th out of 358 books — 699 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet Richards
This is another book I can't put down. Nothing in this book is earth-shattering or amazing. It's the little things you have suspected to be true - but someone who makes more money than you tells you is not true. It's what you say to your friends over lunch. It's support for being feisty in work and in life. I'm highlighting a sentence in almost every chapter that I want to remember. Again - not because I don't know it - but because I don't want to forget it. And I don't want to fool myself that...more
Igor Tsinman
"Rework" by Jason Fried это книга про то, как начать и продолжить маленький (но эффективный) бизнес.

Я не пользуюсь продуктами 37signal и книги Getting Real мне хватило, чтобы понять их точку зрения, но на GR все как-то активно читают/читали Rework, вот и я решил почитать)))

К этому времени Rework оценили уже 49 френдов (очень высокая средняя оценка 4.52), хотя довольно прохладную рецензию написали только пятеро: Alex Suslin, Игорь Емельянов, Denis Evsyukov, Valia, Alex Ott, Viktor Zakharchenko.

Пр...more
Peyton
Good standard small business advice.

Notes:

Prioritize visually.
Make tiny decisions.
Do less. One downing not one updoing.
Don't be a whore to our customers.
build anaudeience

Hold meetings at site of problem, not in meeting room. Invite as few as possible.

Divide problems and projects into pieces small enough to easily estimate time and effort required.

Make short lists to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Prioritize visually, with next task at top of list.

Make attainable goals.

Use tiny decisions to work th...more
Amr
The feeling I got when I read the praise of the book in the first few pages was "This book is over-praised". When I finished it, I still have the same feeling.
Maybe it's just me, but I think that if you're gonna challenge the foundations of doing business, you gotta back it up with something more that "That's how we did it, and it worked for us".
The book makes a great case against all the elements of doing business (planning, raising capital, meeting, communication, workplace, organizing, etc.)...more
Louise
Rework is quick and easy to read, which speaks to the philosophy the book is shilling: get things done -- which coincidentally speaks to me.

Nothing in this book can be learned that can't be learned from the Signal vs. Noise blog from 37signals. That doesn't mean this book is unnecessary. On the contrary, it's handy to have a collection of business tips and anecdotes bound in one neat little volume.

This was my first business book and I think I got off pretty easy. There was a minimum of douchery...more
Arjen
Don't read this book. It is full of obvious stuff that I basically agree with but the writing style and argumentation are beyond annoying.

The pattern is as follows: "Lot's of people say you can't do X. But look at us! We did X, so it is possible". For me that reads as: "Lot's of people say you shouldn't base your life's path on winning the lottery. But look at me! I won the lottery, so it is possible".

Spend your 10 euros on drugs or hookers or alcohol and have some fun in life.
Hans de Zwart
A very quick and easy read. So few words that some might feel cheated. It does make a couple of very good point though: The Internet truly has changed the way we do business. The way large corporations work is anachronistic and the authors describe this in a fresh way.

I will write a blogpost about this book soon, exploring which lessons I already enbody, which lessons I personally would like to act on and which lessons I wish my employer would act on.
J.
Review also posted on My Bookshelf is Ready.

Is "Rework" worth it?
Let me work it
I put my thing down
Flip it and reverse it

- Maya Angelou
Joy
This is one of those books where I agree with the general message but don't necessarily like the delivery. Rework is a very slight read. It feels more like a series of blog posts than anything as formal as a novel. The tone is that of a manifesto, and evidence is basically anecdotal.

The overall argument is that we should redo how we do work (hence, "rework"); Fried et al make an argument for leaner, more flexible organizations, with few of the obvious structures of the average US company (meeti...more
earthy
I appreciate anyone who's clever enough to suggest we entirely rethink how we conceive of work/business. Structurally, however, this book suffers from the same issues I've seen in a lot of blog-to-book deals: It reads like the authors basically cobbled together a bunch of blog posts and decided, voila! that makes a book.

That does NOT make a book.

The structure of a book, whether nonfiction or fiction, is DIFFERENT than a blog. The short, vaguely promising stuff you can stick in a blog post works...more
Book Calendar
George Jensen
Over all this book is a bunch of simple proverbs relating exactly the problems I will face my entire career as long as I stay in the field I'm in. I gave it 3 stars cause I expect to savor deeper phrases. But I still like his matter-of-fact ways. Here are a few take aways I have kept:

Great businesses have a point of view, not just a product or service. You have to believe in something. You need to have a backbone. You need to know what you’re willing to fight for. And then you need to show the w...more
Paul
I need to start with a disclaimer; I’m a 37signals fanatic. I spend at least a few hours each day using Basecamp and I use a family level Backpack account for personal use. Both save me time and help keep me organized at work and home. The products that 37signals turns out are simple, clean and get the job done.

REWORK is just like any other 37signals product. It’s not a long book, but the authors make their points clearly and succinctly by cutting out any unnecessary filler. Being in the softwar...more
RandomAnthony
I don't know why, but most organizational studies books are either 1) weird and stuffy, or 2) kind of like Epcot Center, trying a little too hard, maybe, but not horrible. Rework is a better organizational studies book than most. The authors tantalize the reader toward jumping on their bandwagon, and, for the most part, their bandwagon is headed in the right direction.

The two guys responsible for Rework run their own Chicago software company and much of their advice probably came to fruition ac...more
Benjamin
A super quick read that basically throws a bunch of (maybe minor) tips and words of advice to people who are looking to start or have already started their own businesses.

70% is comprised of useful advice that is definitely relevant to everyone, not just entrepreneurs and business owners.

20% are concepts conveniently backed by pieces of "evidence" in 37signals' history that seemingly suggest all businesses can and should be run like 37signals.

10% is what I would consider to be somewhat contradi...more
Steven
A fast read and valuable reading for anyone working in a startup or small company who needs to unlearn what they learnt from big companies or MBA courses. As a CTO, I am fortunate to have hired wisely and have a team of people who exhibit the attitudes of self management and small scale, focused problem solving prescribed in Rework. Because this isn't common sense in mainstream US management is a reason why the American economy and middle class will be increasingly pressured by waste and multipl...more
Ahmad
Rework is all about re-thinking about all the agreed-on things among businessmen and companies. It convinces you that a lot (really a LOT) of what almost every businessman/manager is doing is totally wrong & provides you with a better way of doing things.

This book is totally recommended for entrepreneurs & businessmen, as well as people at managerial levels in companies/organizations.
G. Kofi
If you are looking for in-depth analysis and pages of stories and examples, Rework will not indulge you. If you are looking for short, to-the-point advise to get your business started and moving, this is the book. The writing is conversational without being repetitive or long winded. This is the 1st business book I've been able to read in one day! FYI, I'm a slow reader.
Ahmed
I read it in a two-hour flight. Don't let the nearly 300 pages fool you. It's a quick read.

Really good and insightful. It's broken into chapters, each chapter has many tips. Each tip has a one page sketch for the tip which makes it super fun to read.

Recommended if you're operating a business or aspiring to.
Reem Mukbel
I enjoyed every moment of reading this book, it teaches you how to simplify things to make results better.
Anton Chernousov
Отключили у меня свет на неделе, и так как с электричеством была утеряна связь с внешним миром, решил я почитать. Практически за один присест осилил книгу Rework, вторая книга от основателей проекта http://37signals.com/ удалась на славу. Она весьма небольшая по объему.

Если первую книгу я читал в электронном виде, то эту я настоятельно рекомендую купить на бумажном носителе. Дороговато в наших Палестинах, но оно того стоит. Книга сойдет за офигенский подарок коллеге. Вообще она так сделана, что...more
Algirdas Raščius
This book is a great collection of ideas that will help you to succeed in business. Although presented ideas are based on common sense, some of them strongly disagree with current usual business practices. Still problem is with current business practices and not with presented ideas.

Reading "Rework" can be great motivator for starting work smarter (rather than harder), seeking long-term sustainable business (rather than achieving better financial results for the current quarter) and really servi...more
Ryan
In the last few months I’ve learned that spending hours on the internet looking for ways to “be better” is bullshit. Reading countless blogs. Staying on top of every tweet. And never missing a single word uttered. All bullshit.

I’ve been lucky in finding a few great people on the web who have said this is bullshit. And I’ve been lucky enough to sit back and look at what I’ve been doing and tell myself it’s all bullshit. I have everything I need to make something TODAY.

Unless, I happened to be on...more
Rich
At first I was bothered by the concise chapters in this book, most being a page or less long. After switching back and forth between "Rework" and "Linchpin", I quickly noticed how much extra there is in other business books. I now love the "quick to the point" writing style and will most likely read this book again.

It covers all kinds of topics:

- you can't "out Apple" Apple, do your own thing
- hire only when it hurts
- too many newbies means no one is critical because they don't want to hurt f...more
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book in one day and it is pretty good. In a nutshell the book takes a contrarian view of running a business to the cookie cutter Fortune 500 company with bureaucracy, policies, red tape, boredom, and this is the way we do it because this is the way we have always done it, and we will keep getting the same results because we keep doing the same things over and over and over and over and over again. This book is different and talks about being different and challenging the...more
Karen
I work for a small company and we all decided to read this book. The author has great advice for getting ideas out of your head and actually doing something about them. He also has great advice for running a small business and cutting out all of the crap. I hate reading business books, but enjoyed the way this book moved quickly. It was concise and to the point. I didn't like some of the language they used, so I just skipped over those paragraphs. If you are thinking of starting a business, or a...more
Adam
These days I think Rework and Lean are process cults. They compile cute anecdotal stories but provide no real evidence. Useful food for thought but not much else.

They're a fad. Like a diet: I'd say don't follow Atkins or low GI because the way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you burn and take regular exercise. For setting up 'work', it's similarly about the basics. Get a good team with the right abilities, work hard and communicate. Anything else is dogma.

That said, it takes an h...more
Yasmine Alfouzan

This is a good book; not because the content is great, but because it opens up your mind to different possibilities and gives you the chance to trust yourself and your individuality in business more than other "business books" would allow. However, I did not like the snobby tone that basically told you "our way is the only right way". Ideal for those who like would like to keep their businesses small.
There were a lot of awesome things I came across while reading it but now I remember none. Hm, I...more
Greg Linster
In Rework Jason Fried and David Heinemeir Hansson describe their refreshing approach to business. One complaint I've heard about the book is that virtually every idea can be found on their blog. I have not read much of the their blog so this wasn't an issue for me. There are different mediums for different folks though.

Ultimately, this is a book about about how some unorthodox business philosophies produce better results than scientific management.
Gergely
Very much recommend to check it out. So much of it rigs true to me on the first glance, that I hope it's not just part of the echo chamber. Definitely worth thinking about their points.

And it feels like, there must be so many opportunities here in Taiwan, because most of the companies I know pretty much go directly opposite of this book's recommendation, making them vulnerable if someone wants to take them on. But that sentence needs a someone.
Red Gate CORE man...: Lunchtime discussion of Rework #1 1 2 Sep 10, 2013 09:36AM
BP Holdings: Work At Home Jobs: How to Avoid Getting Scammed - authorstream 2 18 Nov 10, 2012 06:30PM
This is how the world should run 1 31 May 07, 2012 03:39PM
  • Anything You Want
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting, Persuading, and Winning the Deal
  • The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything
  • Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days
  • Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • The Thank You Economy
  • Business Model Generation: A Handbook For Visionaries, Game Changers, And Challengers (Portable Version)
  • Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
Jason Fried is the co-founder and President of 37signals. Jason believes there’s real value and beauty in the basics. Jason co-wrote all of 37signals books, and is invited to speak around the world on entrepreneurship, design, management, and software.
More about Jason Fried...
Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application Remote: Office Not Required Defensive Design for the Web: How to Improve Error Messages, Help, Forms, and Other Crisis Points

“What you do is what matters, not what you think or say or plan.” 140 likes
“When you don’t know what you believe, everything becomes an argument. Everything is debatable. But when you stand for something, decisions are obvious.” 108 likes