Start by marking “Rework” as Want to Read:
Rework

Rework

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  71,235 Ratings  ·  2,443 Reviews
Most business books give you the same old advice: Write a business plan, study the competition, seek investors, yadda yadda. If you're looking for a book like that, put this one back on the shelf.

Rework shows you a better, faster, easier way to succeed in business. Read it and you'll know why plans are actually harmful, why you don't need outside investors, and why you're
Published March 9th 2010 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about Rework, please sign up.

Oscar Romero Hello Dylan....did you ever get this book? Are you still interested in reading it? I am almost done with it and it is much more than what they claim.…moreHello Dylan....did you ever get this book? Are you still interested in reading it? I am almost done with it and it is much more than what they claim. This is an amazing book--the author sure writes in a very easy to understand manner and makes his point accordingly. (less)
Rework by Jason FriedLinchpin by Seth GodinMade to Stick by Chip HeathThe Total Money Makeover by Dave RamseyThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro Cremades
What Matters Now
1st out of 71 books — 122 voters
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsGetting Things Done by David Allen
Best Business Books
17th out of 544 books — 992 voters

More lists with this book...

Janet Richards
May 02, 2010 Janet Richards rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, biz-book
This is another book I can't put down. Nothing in this book is earth-shattering or amazing. It's the little things you have suspected to be true - but someone who makes more money than you tells you is not true. It's what you say to your friends over lunch. It's support for being feisty in work and in life. I'm highlighting a sentence in almost every chapter that I want to remember. Again - not because I don't know it - but because I don't want to forget it. And I don't want to fool myself that ...more
Peyton
Jun 09, 2011 Peyton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, innovation
Good standard small business advice.

Notes:

Prioritize visually.
Make tiny decisions.
Do less. One downing not one updoing.
Don't be a whore to our customers.
build anaudeience

Hold meetings at site of problem, not in meeting room. Invite as few as possible.

Divide problems and projects into pieces small enough to easily estimate time and effort required.

Make short lists to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

Prioritize visually, with next task at top of list.

Make attainable goals.

Use tiny decisions to work th
Igor Tsinman
Jun 14, 2012 Igor Tsinman rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
"Rework" by Jason Fried это книга про то, как начать и продолжить маленький (но эффективный) бизнес.

Я не пользуюсь продуктами 37signal и книги Getting Real мне хватило, чтобы понять их точку зрения, но на GR все как-то активно читают/читали Rework, вот и я решил почитать)))

К этому времени Rework оценили уже 49 френдов (очень высокая средняя оценка 4.52), хотя довольно прохладную рецензию написали только пятеро: Alex Suslin, Игорь Емельянов, Denis Evsyukov, Valia, Alex Ott, Viktor Zakharchenko.

Пр
Amr
Aug 08, 2010 Amr rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
The feeling I got when I read the praise of the book in the first few pages was "This book is over-praised". When I finished it, I still have the same feeling.
Maybe it's just me, but I think that if you're gonna challenge the foundations of doing business, you gotta back it up with something more that "That's how we did it, and it worked for us".
The book makes a great case against all the elements of doing business (planning, raising capital, meeting, communication, workplace, organizing, etc.)
Arjen
Jun 04, 2010 Arjen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this book. It is full of obvious stuff that I basically agree with but the writing style and argumentation are beyond annoying.

The pattern is as follows: "Lot's of people say you can't do X. But look at us! We did X, so it is possible". For me that reads as: "Lot's of people say you shouldn't base your life's path on winning the lottery. But look at me! I won the lottery, so it is possible".

Spend your 10 euros on drugs or hookers or alcohol and have some fun in life.
Darth J
Apr 25, 2014 Darth J rated it it was amazing
Review also posted on My Bookshelf is Ready.

Is "Rework" worth it?
Let me work it
I put my thing down
Flip it and reverse it

- Maya Angelou
Joy
Dec 22, 2011 Joy rated it it was ok
Shelves: american, business, 21c
This is one of those books where I agree with the general message but don't necessarily like the delivery. Rework is a very slight read. It feels more like a series of blog posts than anything as formal as a novel. The tone is that of a manifesto, and evidence is basically anecdotal.

The overall argument is that we should redo how we do work (hence, "rework"); Fried et al make an argument for leaner, more flexible organizations, with few of the obvious structures of the average US company (meeti
Louise
Dec 15, 2010 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, work
Rework is quick and easy to read, which speaks to the philosophy the book is shilling: get things done -- which coincidentally speaks to me.

Nothing in this book can be learned that can't be learned from the Signal vs. Noise blog from 37signals. That doesn't mean this book is unnecessary. On the contrary, it's handy to have a collection of business tips and anecdotes bound in one neat little volume.

This was my first business book and I think I got off pretty easy. There was a minimum of douchery
Algirdas Raščius
Nov 14, 2012 Algirdas Raščius rated it it was amazing
This book is a great collection of ideas that will help you to succeed in business. Although presented ideas are based on common sense, some of them strongly disagree with current usual business practices. Still problem is with current business practices and not with presented ideas.

Reading "Rework" can be great motivator for starting work smarter (rather than harder), seeking long-term sustainable business (rather than achieving better financial results for the current quarter) and really servi
Book Calendar
Sep 18, 2010 Book Calendar rated it really liked it
Ahmed
Apr 19, 2013 Ahmed rated it it was amazing
I read it in a two-hour flight. Don't let the nearly 300 pages fool you. It's a quick read.

Really good and insightful. It's broken into chapters, each chapter has many tips. Each tip has a one page sketch for the tip which makes it super fun to read.

Recommended if you're operating a business or aspiring to.
earthy
Oct 21, 2012 earthy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I appreciate anyone who's clever enough to suggest we entirely rethink how we conceive of work/business. Structurally, however, this book suffers from the same issues I've seen in a lot of blog-to-book deals: It reads like the authors basically cobbled together a bunch of blog posts and decided, voila! that makes a book.

That does NOT make a book.

The structure of a book, whether nonfiction or fiction, is DIFFERENT than a blog. The short, vaguely promising stuff you can stick in a blog post works
Reem Mukbel
Jun 18, 2013 Reem Mukbel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed every moment of reading this book, it teaches you how to simplify things to make results better.
George Jensen
Over all this book is a bunch of simple proverbs relating exactly the problems I will face my entire career as long as I stay in the field I'm in. I gave it 3 stars cause I expect to savor deeper phrases. But I still like his matter-of-fact ways. Here are a few take aways I have kept:

Great businesses have a point of view, not just a product or service. You have to believe in something. You need to have a backbone. You need to know what you’re willing to fight for. And then you need to show the w
Benjamin
A super quick read that basically throws a bunch of (maybe minor) tips and words of advice to people who are looking to start or have already started their own businesses.

70% is comprised of useful advice that is definitely relevant to everyone, not just entrepreneurs and business owners.

20% are concepts conveniently backed by pieces of "evidence" in 37signals' history that seemingly suggest all businesses can and should be run like 37signals.

10% is what I would consider to be somewhat contradi
Hani
Oct 19, 2015 Hani rated it it was amazing
قال جدّي الحكيم ذات يوم: أيْ بُنيّ، في دنيا الحياة العملية، تلك التي تجري على أرض الواقع؛ فتش عن البراغماتية. حسنًا يا جدّي، أشكرك على نصيحتك الثمينة.

الكتاب عمليّ لأقصى درجة، براغماتي في الصميم. ممتع، مختلف، متميز، جريء، مُقتحِم، مُخَلخِل.. [أفتش عن تعبير مشهور يليق به].. هيا أيتها الربة، يا ربة الشعر والتعابير، مُنّي على متسوّلي الكلمات. آه، ها هو: "يحوم كالفراشة ويلسع كالنحلة" *. هو رشيق، إذن، وجميل. كما أنه:

ساخر؟ بالطبع. هجومي؟ بلا شك. ثقيل الظل؟ قطعًا لا. قاسٍ؟ ربما. سلس الأسلوب؟ جدًا جدًا.
Paul
Jun 04, 2010 Paul rated it liked it
I need to start with a disclaimer; I’m a 37signals fanatic. I spend at least a few hours each day using Basecamp and I use a family level Backpack account for personal use. Both save me time and help keep me organized at work and home. The products that 37signals turns out are simple, clean and get the job done.

REWORK is just like any other 37signals product. It’s not a long book, but the authors make their points clearly and succinctly by cutting out any unnecessary filler. Being in the softwar
Corina Anghel
Mar 28, 2013 Corina Anghel rated it it was amazing
Am auzit numai lucruri bune despre cartea asta, de fapt o mulțime de lucruri bune și oricât mi-ar plăcea să fiu eu mai cu moț, adevărul e că e o carte genială. Și cum e scrisă și ce scrie în ea.

Se citește în câteva ore și demontează multe dintre miturile care le sunt servite pe tavă celor ce vor să pășească în rândul antreprenorilor.

Fried și Hansson susțin practic că o afacere poate fi de succes și dacă e făcută “pe genunchi”, atât timp cât crezi în ceea ce faci și ești coerent și consecvent în
RandomAnthony
Jan 28, 2011 RandomAnthony rated it liked it
I don't know why, but most organizational studies books are either 1) weird and stuffy, or 2) kind of like Epcot Center, trying a little too hard, maybe, but not horrible. Rework is a better organizational studies book than most. The authors tantalize the reader toward jumping on their bandwagon, and, for the most part, their bandwagon is headed in the right direction.

The two guys responsible for Rework run their own Chicago software company and much of their advice probably came to fruition ac
Todd Nemet
Jan 26, 2011 Todd Nemet rated it liked it
A few decades from now after civilization has collapsed because everyone has quit their job to become an entrepreneur, historians will look back at books like these and wonder how we could have been so blind.

But I'm not going to bash this book. I didn't find anything in it that I disagreed with. My personality and temperament are pretty much simpatico with the tone of this book, too.

And each of these chapters contains enough glorious common sense to enrage the old school executives I suffered un
Karen
Jan 27, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
I work for a small company and we all decided to read this book. The author has great advice for getting ideas out of your head and actually doing something about them. He also has great advice for running a small business and cutting out all of the crap. I hate reading business books, but enjoyed the way this book moved quickly. It was concise and to the point. I didn't like some of the language they used, so I just skipped over those paragraphs. If you are thinking of starting a business, or a ...more
Ananya
"The myth of the overnight sensation:
You will not be a big hit right away. You will not get rich quick. You are not so special that everyone will instantly pay attention. No one cares about you. At least not yet. Get used to it...Trade the dream of overnight success for slow, measured growth. It's hard, but you have to be patient. You have to grind it out. "

Full of sassy and cut-the-crap-&-do-real-work advises , Rework is a must read for entrepreneurs (or as the book says, starters ).
Krishna
Nov 05, 2014 Krishna rated it really liked it
This book all about How to do business or work?, and it's gives more inspiration to the entrepreneurs and employees.

--some great words :

1.U need less than U think-if u need a big office,how to share office space?..work from home for while.

2.Inspiration is a fresh fruit on a milk, doesn't have expiration date.and ideas are model, its lost forever,doesn't lost forever is inspiration.

3.Interruption is the enemy of the productivity.
Ahmad
Apr 26, 2011 Ahmad rated it it was amazing
Rework is all about re-thinking about all the agreed-on things among businessmen and companies. It convinces you that a lot (really a LOT) of what almost every businessman/manager is doing is totally wrong & provides you with a better way of doing things.

This book is totally recommended for entrepreneurs & businessmen, as well as people at managerial levels in companies/organizations.
G. Kofi
If you are looking for in-depth analysis and pages of stories and examples, Rework will not indulge you. If you are looking for short, to-the-point advise to get your business started and moving, this is the book. The writing is conversational without being repetitive or long winded. This is the 1st business book I've been able to read in one day! FYI, I'm a slow reader.
د.أمجد الجنباز
Oct 15, 2014 د.أمجد الجنباز rated it it was amazing
كتاب جميل وبسيط يحوي افكارا عملية في المشاريع والمؤسسات الناشئة.
هذه الافكار تسهل وتبسط التعقيد الاداري فيها
وغالبية هذه الافكار لا تنطبق على المؤسسات الكبيرة
Anton Chernousov
Jan 06, 2011 Anton Chernousov rated it it was amazing
Отключили у меня свет на неделе, и так как с электричеством была утеряна связь с внешним миром, решил я почитать. Практически за один присест осилил книгу Rework, вторая книга от основателей проекта http://37signals.com/ удалась на славу. Она весьма небольшая по объему.

Если первую книгу я читал в электронном виде, то эту я настоятельно рекомендую купить на бумажном носителе. Дороговато в наших Палестинах, но оно того стоит. Книга сойдет за офигенский подарок коллеге. Вообще она так сделана, что
John Cooper
Aug 29, 2013 John Cooper rated it it was ok
Rework is an example of the business-inspirational genre by the founders of 37Signals, a software company. I like 37Signals because they’re straightforward, even pithy, and because founder Jason Fried has some right-on things to say about business culture, such as the stupidity of insisting that all workers come to an office and stay for eight hours, whether they are productive there or not. Rework follows the format of a lot of these books, which alternates extremely short chapters with crude p ...more
Ryan
Apr 11, 2010 Ryan rated it it was amazing
In the last few months I’ve learned that spending hours on the internet looking for ways to “be better” is bullshit. Reading countless blogs. Staying on top of every tweet. And never missing a single word uttered. All bullshit.

I’ve been lucky in finding a few great people on the web who have said this is bullshit. And I’ve been lucky enough to sit back and look at what I’ve been doing and tell myself it’s all bullshit. I have everything I need to make something TODAY.

Unless, I happened to be on
Glenn Schmelzle
Oct 18, 2015 Glenn Schmelzle rated it really liked it
These short-format chapters contain good wisdom that comes out of some common-sense perspective. I liked the sections about managing people and completing goals. Their advice centres around 'sticking to your knitting.' No Harvard-MBA matrices, no 6-step magical processes. Just straight talk about achieving big things through doing lots of little things.
  • Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality
  • Accidental Genius: Using Writing to Generate Your Best Ideas, Insight, and Content
  • Anything You Want
  • The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
  • Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • HTML5 for Web Designers
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • The Myths of Innovation
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jason Fried is the co-founder and President of 37signals. Jason believes there’s real value and beauty in the basics. Jason co-wrote all of 37signals books, and is invited to speak around the world on entrepreneurship, design, management, and software.
More about Jason Fried...

“What you do is what matters, not what you think or say or plan.” 190 likes
“When you don’t know what you believe, everything becomes an argument. Everything is debatable. But when you stand for something, decisions are obvious.” 129 likes