Enemies Among Us: A Novel

Enemies Among Us: A Novel

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  27 reviews
When undercover FBI agent Matt Hogan totals three vehicles in an out-of-policy Beverly Hills pursuit of a fleeing Arab drug runner, he incurs the wrath of the Bureau hierarchy. To avoid an almost certain suspension, he accepts a new assignment tracking terrorist cell groups while posing as a volunteer at a nonprofit charity. What he doesn't know is the ripples of danger fr...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Fidelis (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Enemies Among Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemies Among Us

Tessa Stockton
With lifelike representation, Bob Hamer has written an intense, patriotic, and heroic thriller. Enemies Among Us delivers a heart-stopping ride in the fight against terrorists on our own shore—with realism hard to swallow, yet handled so skillfully you want to gulp it in one piece! When you consider that the story is conveyed by an author who lived it and breathed it, drawing from his own 26-year experience as an undercover agent for the FBI, it smacks you in the face. Loved it! Detailed researc...more
Shannon
I have mixed feelings about this book. I debated between 2 and 3 stars, and opted for 3. I decided to simply enjoy it for what it was: an FBI/Crime Novel with a Christian emphasis. It's not a genre I would normally pick up, and I didn't quite realize what it was when I started reading it. It was a fast read, kept my interest, and even taught me a few things I didn't know. I liked the inside information from a real FBI agent. I liked the plot line. It was hard to get into initially, but once we m...more
Cindy Barnett
Christian-based, action thriller -yes! they do exist. Fun, frightening. will read author again. TTS-enabled.
Art
I wasn't too sure about this book the first chapter or so, but got into it quickly after that. This book has more of a story teller feel to it than polished writing, for me that worked just fine as I liked that comfortable feeling, but it might not be for others. It might be slow for a lot of people expecting a "24" type action packed Hollywood thriller as well.
There are minor faults in this book but I can let them go and they are neither here nor there. The fact that it was kind of slow made i...more
Stefanie
This book was very different from what I thought it would be just based on the cover and the summary. It was a bit more amateur than I expected but that probably made it easier for me to get into. I didn't expect the side story involving Matt's wife and didn't really like it because of my expectations of the story before I even began. I thought this would be a more suspensful story with a lot of upfront police action. Instead it was about one undercover job that was slow in the making even for t...more
Giovanni Gelati
Here is an excellent Guest Post by Bob Hamer & then below that is our post on his novel Enemies Among us. Enjoy your Memorial Day.

Saying Thanks at Memorial Day

Last year I was at a family event and began to search the crowd. I soon realized with family and extended family more than fifty young people between the ages of eighteen and thirty were represented. Only one, my son, a Marine, who at the time was deployed to Afghanistan, was serving or had served in the military. I wondered if these...more
_yay_
I'm not religious and normally wouldn't have bought Enemies Among Us as it has a christian message. I admit, the price (only 1.47$)combined with the fact that my interest was caught by the plot description were the main reasons to download the item to my Kindle anyway. In the end I'm glad I did because Hamer's writing style and his experience (retired FBI) made for a suspenseful and interesting read.
Spoiler!
-"Someday you'll have to tell me what 'chatter' is."
[...]"When I find out, I'll let you
W. Whalin
Bob Hamer knows how to write a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat as a reader and turning pages to get to the ending. I loved reading about FBI agent Matt Hagen and his work as an undercover agent to fight terrorism.

I found the characters realistic and engaging in ENEMIES AMONG US. The pages flew as I plunged into the story. Hamer knows how to engage the reader and his book definitely qualifies for the words on the cover "A Thriller."

I loved this book and have become a fan of Hamer's...more
Serge
It's an ok book. After reading all the reviews and especially from one of my favorite novelist, Vince Flynn, I was very excited to read this book. Also knowing the author was an ex-FBI agent was very enticing.

But really it was a very short read and there wasn't anything special about the book. The proselytizing didn't necessarily bother me, but it really didn't add to the story.

Now, if you want a quick book to read on the airplane to Europe and you're not in the mood to think too much,then this...more
Stacy
I bought this one for my Kindle when I saw it advertised for a low price. Written by a former FBI agent, it follows FBI Special Agent Matt Hogan in Los Angeles, who is undercover at a Christian non-profit hospital. They suspect the hospital of being a front for terrorists. It has a Christian theme, though not overly strong, but I did appreciate that element of faith, as well as how clean it was. You can tell a modern, thrilling story in today's world without overt bad language, gore or violence....more
Will
Four stars for plot, but only two for writing. The second half of the book reads much better than the first, but the author really needs a good editor. For example, nowhere in the book does he describe his hero! Or the hero's wife! In fact, I found his descriptions of the bad guys to be much better than those of the good guys. Also, the ending seemed a little forced. Not a bad book, but I have read a lot better.
Tom Tischler
This is a new author for me and I'm sure that I will read whatever else he writes.
He is an ex FBI agent and this book is about an FBI agent who goes undercover in LA to
uncover a terrorist cell. This is my type of book, blood,guts and a page turner.He has a
new book coming out in July and I will be first in line to get it.
J
Comfortable, easy read. Character background provided (even for random one-time-appearance characters), but there was no real character development - the story was plot driven. I enjoyed the book, but the writing was not politically sophisticated. Liberals may use it for fodder ...
Jennifer J. Lopez
This was a great book, even though it had simple concepts the point got across and it had enough details to keep me interested. I am a fanatic of war books as undercovers ect. So this was something I enjoyed. Great book and hope to find more literature similar too this!
Kurt Young
A good first book, if a bit unfocused. Better editing could have sharpened the characters, and the narrative. Bob Hamer, an actual FBI agent (retired) has some neat insights to "the Bureau" but no real vision for where he wants to take his character.
Bea
This was pretty good as thrillers go. It had the good Muslims, bad Muslims, good Christians, and bad Russians. The characters were pretty much one dimensional, but the story was good enough to stay with it to the end. Not exceptional.
Neal
This was a pretty good book. I enjoyed the story and the writing. I almost stopped reading it because there were parts that were too religious preachy for my taste. I'm glad I finished reading it because of the base story.
Carrie
May 01, 2010 Carrie added it
If you like Andrew Klavan, you'll probably like this, although it was predictable and in parts cliched. It probably would have made a better TV show than book (as Sleeper Cell was excellent).
Julia Reffner
4 1/2 star, fantastic read...review forthcoming on blog and The Suspense Zone.
Richard
This is an evangelistic Christian treatise wrapped in a thriller.

The other author in this publisher is Oliver North. Wish I had noticed that before I invested time in this. The whole story is implausible.
Dhanu Amanda
Enemies Among Us, what a book!! I was drawn in right from the start. It was filled with action and drama.

A genuine Thriller.

Can't wait to read Bob Hammer's new book.
Jacque
I really liked this book. One of my favorite shows is Law and Order, this book totally reminded me of something that could be made into a L&O episode. The story is simple, which makes it a fast read. I did like all the knowledge gained about Middle-Eastern and Muslim culture from this book. I felt like the author did a great job in depicting the characters in all their differences.
Ronie
Overall this is an excellent book. I enjoyed reading it, and coupled with the face Hamer has BTDT, the story is compelling. There are a few places where I felt it bogged down as information was disseminated. But this didn't take away from the story at all. A great read! Hamer's skill with scripts shows through with the vignette-style scenes.
Ratforce
As a fan of Jason Elam’s suspenseful books, you may want to try this thriller, which also deals with a terrorist threat.
bullsEye-aka-Kent
Couldn't put this book down. Fast paced, realistic to a point at least.
Robert
Not too exciting, not really recommendable material, just ok.
Deborah Boutwell
NYP for March 2010 - advanced readers copy
Isaiah
Isaiah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Last Undercover: The True Story of an FBI Agent's Dangerous Dance with Evil Targets Down: A Novel Counterfeit Lies