Start by marking “Nothing But an Unfinished Song: Bobby Sands, the Irish Hunger Striker Who Ignited a Generation” as Want to Read:

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Bobby Sands was twenty seven years old when he died. He spent almost nine years of his life in prison because of his activities as a member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA). When he died on 5 May 1981, on the sixty-sixth day of his hunger strike against repressive prison conditions in Northern Ireland's H Block prisons, parliaments across the world stopped for a minute s ...more
Published December 29th 2005 by Nation Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing But an Unfinished Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing But an Unfinished Song

Why would someone voluntarily decide to starve himself to death? It's a slow, horrible, painful way to die, so one can imagine he would have to feel that he had a very good reason. This book attempts to delve into what, exactly, was going on in Bobby Sands' mind when he decided to go on a hunger strike while imprisoned for his involvement with the IRA. Why he decided to do so even knowing that the English government would certainly not back down, and he would die. What he hoped to accomplish, wh ...more
I have read a lot of books on the Irish conflict, the blanketmen, and the hunger strikers -- which goes without saying that I have also read many books by and/or about Bobby Sands.

This book is full of eyewitness commentary from those who shared their lives first-hand with Bobby Sands as well as an in-depth look into the experiences that shaped him -- both before and during his time in prison.

All I can say is that this book is truly awe-inspiring. It left me with a profound sense of amazement a
Eren Buğlalılar
Çok çok güzel bir kitap. Bobby Sands'ı ve İrlanda mücadelesini böyle yakından tanıyabildiğime çok memnun oldum. Yazarın üslubu, hapishanedeki ortamı canlandırması, bir roman gibi Sands'in hikayesini anlatışı etkileyici. Ödenen bedeller önünde saygı duymamak, kendi hayatını gözden geçirmemek mümkün değil. Yapabilir miyiz gerçekten, onurlu bir yaşam, daha iyi bir dünya için bedenlerimizi onlar gibi siper edebilir miyiz?

"Bizim de günümüz gelecek!"
Sheila Bitts
like- I was intrigued to learn Bobby Sands' lifestyles, personal conflicts and political influences.
The prison battle sequence of his first sentence was such a hopeful moment for he and his comrades.
I believe that the UN intervention was unknown to many--I think that Bobby should have accepted leadership without Gerry Adams when they arrived, but he might have been nearly unconscious (not clear).
A good bio on Sands and a few events that shaped him for his struggle. I would have liked to read a bit more about events that shaped the overall movement of the IRA on a wider scale, just to give an unfamiliar reader a sense of where Sands' story lies in the Republican struggle as a whole.
Is it not possible to support Republicanism without surgically removing one's sense of balance or nuance? Lacking any significant contextualization of the broader Republican cause or the plight of Protestants in Ulster, this book is mystifyingly oblivious to its one-sidededness
Jun 29, 2008 Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who care about making the world better
Recommended to Lee by: marina sitrin
Shelves: nonfiction
I don't know enough about the history of the Irish hunger strikers to compare this book to others. By itself it seems meticulously researched, sympathetic, critical and constructive. Also inspiring.
Kathy Mcelhattan
No matter what side of this Political war you hold, Bobby Sands as a man was amazing. Only reading this can explain all that my statement entails.
So excited - a new book to feed my Irish Obsession! Not a whole lot I haven't read but some great photos.
Jenny Ostermiller
Jenny Ostermiller is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2015
Zoalinka marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Stéphanie is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2015
John Kelly
John Kelly is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2015
Baltz.greg marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Çağla Apaydın
Çağla Apaydın marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Jeff added it
Apr 09, 2015
Michaelfortin2013 marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Catherina Wojtowicz
Catherina Wojtowicz marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Kayra Zühre
Kayra Zühre marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
M. marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Aykut Kısa
Aykut Kısa marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Philip marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Critical Development Theory: Contributions to a New Paradigm The Atlantic Economy: Britain, the Us and Ireland I Arose this Morning... - A Biography of Bobby Sands for Young Readers Inside the Celtic Tiger Critical Development Theory: Contributions to a New Paradigm