Start by marking “Nothing But an Unfinished Song: Bobby Sands, the Irish Hunger Striker Who Ignited a Generation” as Want to Read:

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Bobby Sands was twenty seven years old when he died. He spent almost nine years of his life in prison because of his activities as a member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA). When he died on 5 May 1981, on the sixty-sixth day of his hunger strike against repressive prison conditions in Northern Ireland's H Block prisons, parliaments across the world stopped for a minute s ...more
Published December 29th 2005 by Nation Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nothing But an Unfinished Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing But an Unfinished Song

Cynthia
I have read a lot of books on the Irish conflict, the blanketmen, and the hunger strikers -- which goes without saying that I have also read many books by and/or about Bobby Sands.

This book is full of eyewitness commentary from those who shared their lives first-hand with Bobby Sands as well as an in-depth look into the experiences that shaped him -- both before and during his time in prison.

All I can say is that this book is truly awe-inspiring. It left me with a profound sense of amazement a
Sheila Bitts
like- I was intrigued to learn Bobby Sands' lifestyles, personal conflicts and political influences.
The prison battle sequence of his first sentence was such a hopeful moment for he and his comrades.
I believe that the UN intervention was unknown to many--I think that Bobby should have accepted leadership without Gerry Adams when they arrived, but he might have been nearly unconscious (not clear).
Mitch
A good bio on Sands and a few events that shaped him for his struggle. I would have liked to read a bit more about events that shaped the overall movement of the IRA on a wider scale, just to give an unfamiliar reader a sense of where Sands' story lies in the Republican struggle as a whole.
Marc
Is it not possible to support Republicanism without surgically removing one's sense of balance or nuance? Lacking any significant contextualization of the broader Republican cause or the plight of Protestants in Ulster, this book is mystifyingly oblivious to its one-sidededness
Lee
Jun 29, 2008 Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who care about making the world better
Recommended to Lee by: marina sitrin
Shelves: nonfiction
I don't know enough about the history of the Irish hunger strikers to compare this book to others. By itself it seems meticulously researched, sympathetic, critical and constructive. Also inspiring.
Kathy Mcelhattan
No matter what side of this Political war you hold, Bobby Sands as a man was amazing. Only reading this can explain all that my statement entails.
Jo
So excited - a new book to feed my Irish Obsession! Not a whole lot I haven't read but some great photos.
Michaelfortin2013
Michaelfortin2013 marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Catherina Wojtowicz
Catherina Wojtowicz marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Kayra Zühre
Kayra Zühre marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
M.
M. marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Aykut Kısa
Aykut Kısa marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Utopian
Utopian marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Xaka
Xaka marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Nihan
Nihan marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Özgür Daş
Özgür Daş marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Sina Sezer
Sina Sezer marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Dave Ranter
Dave Ranter marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Kerri O'connor
Kerri O'connor marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nothing But an Unfinished Song: The Life and Times of Bobby Sands Bobby Sands: Nothing But an Unfinished Song Critical Development Theory: Contributions to a New Paradigm The Atlantic Economy: Britain, the Us and Ireland Yarım Kalmış Bir Şarkı: Bobby Sands, IRA ve Açlık Grevi