Start by marking “Migration (Species Imperative, #2)” as Want to Read:
Migration (Species Imperative, #2)

Migration (Species Imperative #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,074 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Senior co-administrator of the Norcoast Salmon Research Facility, Dr. Mackenzie Connor was a biologist who studied the spawning habits of salmon. Then, last season, just as she and Dr. Emily Mamani were starting their research, they were interrupted by the arrival of Brymn, the first Dhryn to set foot on Earth.

And suddenly everything changed for Mac, Emily, Brymn, the huma
Published April 4th 2006 by DAW (first published April 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Migration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Migration

Tom
Part 2 of the series following biologist Mackenzie Connor, who gets caught up in a crisis involving a creepy biological threat to tons of alien worlds and races. Compared to the first book in the trilogy, this was slower, and had far less action or adventure (it takes place entirely on Earth, for instance); but it was better in other respects.

For one, the previous book only hinted at a universe teeming with intelligent life, but mostly confined itself to featuring one alien species, alongside hu
Efka
Nov 23, 2015 Efka rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, abandoned
Just don't have determination and devotion and time to read mediocre books. "Migration" isn't terribly crappy or criminally bad written, but it is dull and boring, and I don't care about anything or anyone in it. Guess it was a mistake to read this book, despite not really liking #1 of the series, Survival. Off to look for greener pastures, then. And one thing I can't understand, is How the hell can this book have a rating of 4,05?. I just can't grasp it.
Angela
Mar 26, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
Rebecca
Nov 15, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
Normally the second book in a trilogy is the best; you don't have to spend a lot of time with either set up or typing up loose ends, and you can devote most of the book to action and moving the plot. While this book definitely moves the plot arc forward, it seemed like it took too long to get there. The opening chapters contain some important set up, and it is true that life doesn't always move at a breakneck pace, so it was realistic, but I found myself at times going "Oh come on, get to the ac ...more
Andrew
Mar 19, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
Fish biologist goes to a conference. This is still a spy story, but now it's a spy story happening in an academic study group. To be fair, the group is studying the same problem as the spies -- the imminent sterilization of all nearby planets -- so it's not a tonal clash, just an excuse to change gears frequently.

I like that the aliens have senses of humor, and agendas, and do not regard humans as either yokels or incomprehensible marvels. (In the last book, the Dhryn were worrisomely ignorant o
Dikay
Feb 28, 2014 Dikay rated it did not like it
i had a lot of trouble finishing the first book "survival" and the same problem is happening with "migration" . I don't like the main character , she is so focused on her little world that she doesn't pay attention to some clues. when reading i kept thinking that it would be better if she could stay with her salmons and if the reader was provided with someone else as the main character.
Natasha Hurley-Walker
Pretty good follow-up to Survival. The threat is reasonably menacing, and the betrayals from the end of Survival still sting. More semi-realistic reseaaarch IN SPAAAACE, a new perspective on Oversight, giving him at least two dimensions, and a fun new alien character, Fourteen. I do like that the research is slow and takes multiple threads to solve the problems. Some of the paranoia reminds me of C J Cherryh's writing, but it's a bit more relaxed and humorous than that. (view spoiler) ...more
Jim
Jun 08, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it
Dr. Mackenzie Winifred Elizabeth Wright Conner (Mac), salmon researcher extraordinaire, has returned to the Norcoast research facility after barely surviving her discovery of the "true" nature of the Dhryn. Her friend, Dr. Emily Mamani, is still working with the mysterious Ro, who may be the key to stopping the Dhryn's murderous attacks. And Mac is struggling with a bit of post-traumatic stress as she tries to adapt to her former life.

In the first book, Mac wanted nothing more than to study her
Trisha
Aug 11, 2009 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Czerneda sure knows how to keep a girl reading - I'm basically DYING for a proper Mac/Nik getaway here. Got to read on to find out if it ever happens. It better, 'cause if it doesn't I will have to swear off all Czerneda books forever more. ;)

I love this story. In general I really enjoy the interactions between Mac and various aliens. This time my favourite was Fourteen with his "Idiot!" and his "Irrelevant." hehe. I found myself saying "Irrelevant!" at various times in my own day to day life, f
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
It's tough being the second book in a trilogy; you've got to build on the momentum of the first installment while reminding readers of important plot points and setting yourself up for the third book. I'll cut Czerneda some slack, but I wish I had enjoyed this book a little more. The formula that worked so well in the first book -- spend 300 pages world-building before anything exciting happens -- wears thin here, and while I'm glad I stuck it out, I had to force myself to keep reading. Also, th ...more
Raja99
Oct 19, 2007 Raja99 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mcpl
Like the first book in the series, Survival: Species Imperative #1, this is very much the sort of thing Alan Dean Foster would have written 30 years ago--but he would have done it at half the length. While I enjoyed spending time with these characters, I didn't need to spend 7.5 hours for this amount of "story" (i.e., not much happens plotwise). There's a climax in the middle that had more impact than the one at the end; as with the previous book, the end felt a bit predictable.

Since I'm trave
Speedtribes
Nov 04, 2007 Speedtribes rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Second book in the series. I found this one stronger, in that the plot didn't fly about nearly as much and wasn't quite as sidetracked by the necessary description of what just makes the aliens alien. (being as most of it was covered in the first book) This story is far more contained. There is excellent coverage of the emotional backlash and follow through for the events in the first book.

I am grateful that the author has a realistic understanding of injuries and wounds and the sorts of stresse
Arthur Gibson
Mar 13, 2011 Arthur Gibson rated it really liked it
This was a fun second book. It was a little slow starting, but only because the first ended on such a note of action. Good characters. The strangeness of her universe grows. Diverse people, diverse species. Good plot. Lots of questions answered. A lot more asked. Unfortunately, I have made the error of reading the first two books before owning the third. Stupid me, lol. Oh well. We all need a goal in life. I will have to pick up the hardcover as soon as I can so I can finish the series. I will d ...more
Mike
Jul 01, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
After Survival being a bit hit or miss for me I was a little unsure about Migration, but I should not have worried. It was a book I couldn't put down from start to finish. Where as Survival had some boring description this was far more flowing. Migration does not stand alone and I think if you haven't read Survival there will be parts of Migration that will be hard to follow. Although not an all action book there was plenty of suspense and plot turns. I will definitely be reading the third book.
Mark
Aug 03, 2007 Mark rated it really liked it
Czerneda is one of those science-fiction authors I've become very comfortable with. Slipping into her stories is now like putting on favorite slippers. This series deals with a multi-stellar Interspecies Union and the fundamentals of biology applied at a species level. At times the internal and external dialogues can become a bit jumbled and the protagonist is prone to a bit too much internal exposition, but these are niggling objections. The storyline is great and I find I do care for the chara ...more
Teresa
Jul 03, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The second in the Species Imperative Trilogy picks up where the first leaves off. Again, Mackenzie Conner is at the center of the action, attempting to determine who the real enemy is, and how a species could evolve the way this one has. With the help of one intriguing extra-sol affairs officer, Mac attempts to solve these mysteries that seem to have fallen in her lap. After all, she is only just a salmon researcher.
David
Apr 21, 2008 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hard sci-fi fans
I just finished this book, and the third in the series, Migration, will follow as soon as I can get my hands on it. This novel does not surprise the reader with the unexpected quite as much as the first in the series did. Most likely that is because one now understands a bit more about the setting and adversaries that the protagonist faces. Still, I slept less than I should have, since I had trouble putting it down in the evenings.
Kat
Apr 25, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it
good follow up to the first - and definitely sets up the final piece in the trilogy. I agree with others that the book starts a little slowly; I was anxious to get to the action. but again, once the action starts, hold on to your hats!
incredible diversity in alien species. I like Mac because she's flying by the seat of her pants, she's out of her element, but she's capable and smart and surpasses even her own expectations.
I'm looking forward to the resolutions of the third book.
Tani
Sep 20, 2014 Tani rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, female-author, 2014
4.5 stars. Hard to get into, but once I had, better than the first book by a far stretch. Loved all the interactions and the many details of the aliens encountered in this book. I have also fallen in love with Mac, the main character, and her staunch insistence on uncovering truth, no matter what the cost. Starting the final book right now, in hopes of circumventing the rough start by just keeping the flow going.
Chris Tice
Mar 25, 2009 Chris Tice rated it really liked it
This was my second book from Julie and I liked the characters she portrays. The lead females are feminine and resourceful without being "butchy". I liked the depth with which she creates the alien species and the plot twists were surprising and fresh but not ridiculous like some of the books that I read.
Lisa
Feb 27, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am amazed at how well each character was defined to still be distinguishable with all the aliens in this book. I loved the humor. It was a joy to have species that make fun of the human actions and verbiage. The search for Mac's friend, Emily, and all the events (old questions answered and new questions occurring) in this story made it hard to put this book down.
Francine
Jan 15, 2014 Francine rated it really liked it
This is really good science fiction. It's clever and intelligent; characters (of all sorts) are well defined.
The author has one of the characters say "the Wilson's are 13th generation fishermen". I love that sort of thing...it helps you place it in time...think Wilson fishing gear (Wilson Sporting goods).

This is book 2 of 3; I am looking forward to reading the final chapter of this story.
L
Oct 11, 2015 L rated it it was amazing
Let's see: issues of diplomacy vs war; plans to commit genocide (actually, to wipe out an entire species) for the sake of security--safe to say that Czerneda dealt with timely social issues in this one. It is impossible for me to not love her work. character. alien beings. social complexity. It's all here. No time for more. Must get to Amazon for #3 in the trilogy.
Terry
Jan 21, 2008 Terry rated it liked it
Not quite as engaging as the first volume in this series. Dr. Mackezie Connor is not as interesting away from her primary research but the ideas and plot twists as she travels with Brymn the Dhryn are worth the time.
Stephanie Jones
Aug 30, 2016 Stephanie Jones rated it really liked it
After I read the first book, I shrugged and moved on to the second (this one) because I had it lying around. I'm much more eager to move on to the next after Migration. The political machinations got much more twisty here and the science got cooler.
victoria.p
Maybe 3.5? I enjoyed this one more than the first, I think, though it definitely feels like a middle book in a trilogy (there were some plot threads that seemed to get dropped) and also I still don't love the main character, though I do enjoy watching her interact with aliens.
Samantha
Oct 17, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it
First reading: October 2008. I didn't read the first book then so I'm reading the series now - August 2016.
Matthew
May 27, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A fine continuation to an interesting series. I felt some of the parts dragged a bit too much, but overall, a fine book.
Bryan
Dec 24, 2009 Bryan marked it as unowned-to-buy
Shelves: ebooks, sf
Bought this ebook at fictionwise, but the publisher decided they wanted more money. Fictionwise refunded my money.
Otessa
May 14, 2013 Otessa rated it it was amazing
Julie Czerneda, I adore you! Yet another terrific read. This one way a little slow in the beginning...but stick with it, the book is worth the wait.
  • Double Jeopardy (Starfist, #14)
  • The Quantum Connection (Warp Speed, #2)
  • Crystal Healer (Stardoc, #9)
  • The Empty Chair (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #5)
  • The Sea is Full of Stars (Saga of the Well World, #6)
  • Rules of Conflict (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #2)
  • Six Moon Dance

Species Imperative (3 books)
  • Survival (Species Imperative, #1)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)