Start by marking “The King of Quizzical Island” as Want to Read:
The King of Quizzical Island

The King of Quizzical Island

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Gently absurd and delightfully entertaining, this rhyming tale of a curious king on a singular search evokes the playful tradition of Edward Lear.

THE KING OF QUIZZICAL ISLAND
HAD A MOST INQUISITIVE MIND.
HE SAID, "IF I SAIL TO THE EDGE OF THE WORLD,
I WONDER WHAT I'LL FIND?"

When his wily old Wizard and Whispering Witches can’t answer the king’s question, he makes up his quizz...more
Published November 10th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published September 7th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The King of Quizzical Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of Quizzical Island

Chris
Feb 14, 2011 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents
Quizzical Island is aptly named for the questioning King who wants to know just were the edge of the world is. The tale begins with that question and the responses he receives from his loyal and loving subjects and admirable advisers. The King listens to their fears and anxieties about leaving the island, but relies on his own desires for answers as he sails away. The illustrations are done in pen and ink with splashes of water color only illustrating the King. There are very imaginative concept...more
Amy
This book was such a great adventure tale, full of imagination, creativity, and a kind of surrealist beauty. My nephew loved the adventure, my niece loved the quest for knowledge (what is at the edge of the world? Is there even an edge at all?), and I loved the vocabulary, the creativity of the art and text, and the bravery of the king. Really a neat book to open up a conversation with kids about how inquisitiveness can lead to discovery and the expansion of human knowledge.
Heidi
The rhyming scheme for this book works well. And the pencil illustrations are interesting to look at (much better for a lap-read or on-your-own). The imaginative story/journey would be fun for kids. The fantasy elements are light and treated as normal--it works well, too. I'm only having problems with decipering the illustration on the last pages. Things I loved: the take on the Kellogg's Corn Flakes box and the people dressed in animal costumes.
Alisha
good rhyme and rhythm. positive leadership on the part of the king (not playing a tyrannically stereotypical role), and a great introduction to the shape of the world, that different places are different and that is ok, etc. especially loved the talking reptiles that stand on their tails and say quite plainly that it ISN'T comfortable!
Elizabeth S
One of those fun stories with great rhyming and rhythms. A pleasure to read aloud.
Ann
Stumbled upon this in the picture books and think I have found a great read aloud!!
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Claire
Claire added it
Jun 04, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Amber
Amber added it
Oct 03, 2013
Airam Tano
Airam Tano marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Dolly
Dolly marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2012
Gordon Snell is a published author and an editor of children's books and young adult books. Some of the published credits of Gordon Snell include The Deadly Camera, Twelve Days: A Christmas Countdown and The King of Quizzical Island.
More about Gordon Snell...
Thicker Than Water: Coming-of-Age Stories by Irish & Irish American Writers The mystery of Monk Island The Phantom Horseman Fear At The Festival King of Quizzical Island Digs Through the World