Start by marking “Show Off: How to Do Absolutely Everything. One Step at a Time.” as Want to Read:
Show Off: How to Do Absolutely Everything. One Step at a Time.

Show Off: How to Do Absolutely Everything. One Step at a Time.

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
How many cool things can YOU do? The answer will amaze you — and the secrets are all in this witty and nearly wordless book.

Are you the crafty type? Try drawing some manga or customizing your sneakers. Got a soft spot for science? Dazzle your friends with the old exploding volcano trick, then slyly ease an egg into a bottle. Or you can really get cooking by slipping fortun
Published September 22nd 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Show Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show Off

Jon
Feb 23, 2015 Jon rated it did not like it
Beyond the web posterized artwork and a couple of good ideas, this book is a waste.

Examples from the book:

How to spin a basketball:
1. Hold the ball with just your fingertips.
2. Spin it up on one fingertip.
3. Balance it on your finger until it slows down.

How to dribble under one leg:
1. Space your feet widely. Hold the ball palm down
2. Bounce the ball between your legs. Catch.
3. Repeat, bouncing it back to front.

If those are included, why not include...

How to throw a perfect snowball:
1. Get some s
Anina
Sep 02, 2010 Anina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, school-age
This is probably the best fast & dirty teen programming for the library book I have ever encountered. The activities are truly easy, cheap, and interesting. So far we have done the ice cream and the papel picado. The only problem is everyone wants to check the book out and I keep needing to order myself another!
Amadeus
Aug 30, 2014 Amadeus rated it it was amazing
I love these books that Candlewick publishes. They make me wish for two weeks off just so I could work my way through doing all of the activities. I learned some random trivia along the way, too, including that clear deodorant is the trick for adhering homemade temporary tattoos! I think this book would be great for parents and teachers yet I also think it's for anyone looking to have some fun.
Mary Ann
May 23, 2010 Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: 6th, 3rd, 4th, 5th, nonfiction
If I were to give stars for how much my kids have poured over this book, this would get 5+. They love, love, love it. The bright, active illustrations fascinate them. They love the range of topics, imagining that they could do each and every one.

However, when we went to make taffy using this as the main directions, they weren't quite detailed enough to use as a recipe. We had trouble knowing the best way to let the taffy cool, to get it to the pulling stage. But, then, maybe my daughter chose o
Rachel
Jun 24, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
I really liked it. ...more
Saiel M
Heather
Jul 05, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book is great for all ages. I showed the kids some of the optical illusions that everyone could do, and it was a big hit. Especially fun with my own children and their cousins ages 5,6,7,8 was the peep war. Bought tons of peeps at the after Easter 50% off sales and slayed them all in the microwave. If you try this, slide the dead peeps immediately in to the trash can. If you let them cool, they form a hard crust that is hard to remove from plates. Better yet, use a paper plate and toss the ...more
Lenore Webb
Aug 20, 2010 Lenore Webb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
What would you like to learn how to do? Turn drink mix into hair dye? Create a fake wound? Tell time with a potato? Light a room with a pony tail? Roll up a duct tape rose? Cultivate carnivorous plants? Bake stained glass cookies? Run a ninja obstacle course?

This is just a small sample of the things you can learn how to do one step at a time. I have to say this is the ultimate in how to books. Now I am off to learn how to make edible fake barf.
Tasman
Jun 24, 2012 Tasman rated it liked it
An ok "how-to" book that entertains, all though half the stuff in it I wouldn't do any way. This is not the kind of book where you can do everything it says in one day/week, but personally I've found that over time you shall keep coming back to it every once in a while. 3 stars for me
Michelle Couey
Mar 09, 2011 Michelle Couey rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
how too with details on so much you can do

how to do absolutely everything one step at a time
it is wonderful and the illustrations are great not lots of jargon but lots of pictures with
Sandy
Feb 27, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
I recall browsing this book with Miss Anna a few yars ago back in Sun Prairie, and encountered it again today. This book is totally browsable and full of lots of fun, random ideas.
Elizabeth
May 09, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This book is really funny and has lots of things that you can do if you get bored. Every task has pictures showing you how to do it step by step.
2010 School visit
Kristi
Jun 23, 2010 Kristi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with kids 10+
A book of odds and ends things to do with your kids. I thought it was great! My kids are excited to see what we can accomplish/experiment with this summer.
Muhammad
Sep 23, 2011 Muhammad rated it it was amazing
This is a good book... it gives instructions to do the most amazing things a kid can possibly do. It's just an amazing book...!
rebecca clark
Jan 06, 2010 rebecca clark rated it liked it
Fun stuff! I am particularly interested in the marshmallow dueling.
Amber
Apr 08, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing
i learnt how to do a handstand with this book
Bobbi Taniguchi
Jan 09, 2011 Bobbi Taniguchi rated it it was amazing
My boys really enjoyed this one.
Ericka  S*
Apr 07, 2012 Ericka S* rated it it was amazing
Worth reading these book.
Yan Zhao
Yan Zhao marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Anna
Anna added it
Jan 16, 2016
Nathaniel
Nathaniel is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2015
Mia Zalud
Mia Zalud marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Miles Kerner
Miles Kerner marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Wejdan altwaim
Wejdan altwaim marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Shana
Shana rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2015
Maddie
Maddie added it
May 24, 2015
Alejandra Santana
Alejandra Santana rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Sarah Hines Stephens and Jane B. Mason both live in Oakland, California, where they spend their time writing books, including the Candy Apple titles The Sister Switch and Snowfall Surprise, and keeping up with their respective children.
More about Sarah Hines Stephens...