Start by marking “History Of The American Revolution” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
History Of The America...

Bruce Lancaster

History Of The American Revolution

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
From Lexington and Concord to Yorktown, Bruce Lancaster's classic, The American Revolution, covers the story of America's fight for independence in vivid detail. With an introduction by the critically acclaimed author Bruce Catton, and a new foreword by Thomas Fleming, The American Revolution is a highly readable and engaging volume.
Published 2003 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about History Of The American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History Of The American Revolution

Dan
This was a good book for a breif overview of the Revolutionary War, with enough detail to keep interest but not so much as to weigh down the reader. While it does not meet todays standards to be considered a scholarly work, nuch of the work is supported by my limited reading of scholarly works on the subject.
My favorite quote comes near the end of the book where the author puts forth "... freedom, however won, is never static, must always be fought for."
Ron
Aug 17, 2013 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Concise, narrative summary of the American War of Independence almost exclusively focused on the combat.

A good read.
Steven Peterson
Nov 08, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid history of the American Revolution, written by Bruce Lancaster. The narrative begins with the background to Revolution. And, step by step, battle by battles, event by event, takes us through the time period. From the first conflicts to "The world turned upside down" at Yorktown, the literate history unfolds.

An example of the detail here. Chapter XII, focusing on Yorktown, begins with the French General Rochambeau's appearance in Rhode Island--with no one there to greet him on thi
Nat
Oct 26, 2013 Nat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who was never officially taught the history of the American revolution as a teenager, I told myself I would read it up on my own. After my visit to Boston, the revolutionary cradle of America, I was fascinated by the ideals and the courage that the American people held onto in their fight for freedom.

I have to say that this book does an amazing job of articulating the important battles in the revolution. Though I have to admit I skimmed through a lot of them towards the end because t
Henry Sturcke
Mar 10, 2016 Henry Sturcke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first edition of the book, 1958. Received it for my birthday, read it through the summer, and wrote my own version, in pencil, on folded newsprint. The first book I wrote.
Rebecca L. Snowe
Dec 16, 2014 Rebecca L. Snowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, history
I love this book, it is one of my favorite! A great read and very informative about one of the best times to read about in our history this book was packed full of cool and unknown facts about that famous time period the American Revolution. This book is written very well and not boring or hard to keep up with like some historical books. A fantastic read for any American Revolution nut like me I highly recommend it to anyone. Five stars for being great and informative.
Meg
Nov 06, 2011 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Given that I am not much of a history buff, I was impressed that this book threw so many names, dates, and places my way, and yet I wasn't bored or overwhelmed. Bruce Lancaster did a nice job of covering the important aspects of the Revolutionary War without getting mired in too many details. His character descriptions of the key actors in the war brought them to life, and I liked how the leaders of the war felt like real people, rather than mere names on a page.
Glenn Sullivan
Jan 12, 2016 Glenn Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
More of a coffee table book I had around for years, but finally decided to read. It is one of the better coffee table books about the revolution I have every read. Lots of details, excellent artwork and a good full picture of the war and how it was one.
Richard
Apr 10, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable and comprehensive account of the 7 years of revolutionary war (that's right, that's how long it lasted!). A good supplement to the famous episode histories like "1776" and "Washington's Crossing".
Sutherland
Dec 31, 2015 Sutherland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own, history
Great history, even with the dated 1950s prospective. Gives the reader a vivid, easy to follow narrative with lots of interesting visuals.
Chris
Feb 29, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily one of my favorite books, if not my favorite! An amazing story that Bruce Lancaster tells beautifully.
David
Aug 13, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: davesbookshelf
I've read this before, but i must read it again to remeber more.
Tom English
Tom English marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Chaoticreader
Chaoticreader marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Robert Ellington
Robert Ellington is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2016
Niamh McManus
Niamh McManus marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Tom Batalias
Tom Batalias rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Rachael White
Rachael White marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Leticia
Leticia marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Joel Hunt
Joel Hunt marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Don
Don added it
Jan 31, 2016
Adam Schnelting
Adam Schnelting marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Kara
Kara is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2016
Merely Blink
Merely Blink marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Iain Goddard
Iain Goddard marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 4 21 Mar 10, 2016 12:02AM
  • Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes
  • A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution
  • The Winter Soldiers: The Battles for Trenton and Princeton
  • Liberty! The American Revolution
  • Slapped by the Invisible Hand: The Panic of 2007
  • A People's History of the American Revolution: How Common People Shaped the Fight for Independence
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • America: A Patriotic Primer
  • Jefferson and the Rights of Man
  • George Washington's War: The Saga of the American Revolution
  • Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope
  • Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution
  • The Whites of Their Eyes: Bunker Hill, the First American Army, and the Emergence of George Washington
  • Great Powers: America and the World After Bush
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • My Life on the Plains: Or, Personal Experiences with Indians
  • An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government
  • George B. McClellan: The Young Napoleon
Bruce Lancaster was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on August 22, 1896. He served in the U.S. Army along the Mexican border in 1916 and later in France. After the war he returned to school and received a B.A. from Harvard in 1918. He worked in administration and sales for nine years, after which he served in the U.S. Foreign Service as Vice-Consul to Kobe, Japan (1928-1932). Following his return ...more
More about Bruce Lancaster...