Start by marking “History Of The American Revolution” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
History Of The America...

Bruce Lancaster

History Of The American Revolution

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
From Lexington and Concord to Yorktown, Bruce Lancaster's classic, The American Revolution, covers the story of America's fight for independence in vivid detail. With an introduction by the critically acclaimed author Bruce Catton, and a new foreword by Thomas Fleming, The American Revolution is a highly readable and engaging volume.
Published 2003 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about History Of The American Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History Of The American Revolution

Dan
This was a good book for a breif overview of the Revolutionary War, with enough detail to keep interest but not so much as to weigh down the reader. While it does not meet todays standards to be considered a scholarly work, nuch of the work is supported by my limited reading of scholarly works on the subject.
My favorite quote comes near the end of the book where the author puts forth "... freedom, however won, is never static, must always be fought for."
Ron
Aug 17, 2013 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Concise, narrative summary of the American War of Independence almost exclusively focused on the combat.

A good read.
Steven Peterson
Nov 08, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid history of the American Revolution, written by Bruce Lancaster. The narrative begins with the background to Revolution. And, step by step, battle by battles, event by event, takes us through the time period. From the first conflicts to "The world turned upside down" at Yorktown, the literate history unfolds.

An example of the detail here. Chapter XII, focusing on Yorktown, begins with the French General Rochambeau's appearance in Rhode Island--with no one there to greet him on thi
Natalie
As someone who was never officially taught the history of the American revolution as a teenager, I told myself I would read it up on my own. After my visit to Boston, the revolutionary cradle of America, I was fascinated by the ideals and the courage that the American people held onto in their fight for freedom.

I have to say that this book does an amazing job of articulating the important battles in the revolution. Though I have to admit I skimmed through a lot of them towards the end because t
Meg
Nov 06, 2011 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Given that I am not much of a history buff, I was impressed that this book threw so many names, dates, and places my way, and yet I wasn't bored or overwhelmed. Bruce Lancaster did a nice job of covering the important aspects of the Revolutionary War without getting mired in too many details. His character descriptions of the key actors in the war brought them to life, and I liked how the leaders of the war felt like real people, rather than mere names on a page.
Glenn Sullivan
Jan 12, 2016 Glenn Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
More of a coffee table book I had around for years, but finally decided to read. It is one of the better coffee table books about the revolution I have every read. Lots of details, excellent artwork and a good full picture of the war and how it was one.
Richard
Apr 10, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable and comprehensive account of the 7 years of revolutionary war (that's right, that's how long it lasted!). A good supplement to the famous episode histories like "1776" and "Washington's Crossing".
Chris
Feb 29, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily one of my favorite books, if not my favorite! An amazing story that Bruce Lancaster tells beautifully.
David
Aug 13, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: davesbookshelf
I've read this before, but i must read it again to remeber more.
Joel Hunt
Joel Hunt marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Adam Schnelting
Adam Schnelting marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Iain Goddard
Iain Goddard marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Andy Kelly
Andy Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Nic
Nic added it
Nov 15, 2015
Carlos Baeza
Carlos Baeza marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Bill Hill
Bill Hill rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Matt Muskovin
Matt Muskovin rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Gavin
Gavin added it
Aug 14, 2015
Alexis Macias
Alexis Macias marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Ridge Briel
Ridge Briel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Alan C. Thomas, Author
Alan C. Thomas, Author rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Conor Lynch
Conor Lynch marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Jtsuruoka
Jtsuruoka marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Jayson
Jayson rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Liberty! The American Revolution
  • America: A Patriotic Primer
  • A People's History of the American Revolution: How Common People Shaped the Fight for Independence
  • Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope
  • Our Lives, Our Fortunes, and Our Sacred Honor: The Forging of American Independence, 1774-1776
  • Decisive Day: The Battle for Bunker Hill
  • United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories
  • Jefferson and the Rights of Man
  • Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes
  • Previously
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin
  • The Fall of Paris: The Siege and the Commune 1870-71
  • The Father of Us All: War and History, Ancient and Modern
  • When Jessie Came Across the Sea
  • American Scripture: Making the Declaration of Independence
  • The Americans, Vol. 3: The Democratic Experience
  • A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution
Bruce Lancaster was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on August 22, 1896. He served in the U.S. Army along the Mexican border in 1916 and later in France. After the war he returned to school and received a B.A. from Harvard in 1918. He worked in administration and sales for nine years, after which he served in the U.S. Foreign Service as Vice-Consul to Kobe, Japan (1928-1932). Following his return ...more
More about Bruce Lancaster...