The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #11; The Triad, #2)

The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire #11)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Catherine Asaro has won numerous awards for her Saga of the Skolian Empire novels, including the Nebula Award and two Romantic Times awards for Best SF Novel. Combining cutting edge scientific theory with grand romantic adventure, this series represents space opera at its finest.
The Final Key is the second half of the story arc known as Triad, which began in Schism. Schism...more
Mass Market Paperback, 334 pages
Published November 28th 2006 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 2005)

Elise
Jan 05, 2010 Elise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Sci-fi fan who loves a bit of romance and relationship plot
Recommended to Elise by: Me
Richard
This is the second and final part of the author's "Triad" series. It is well written and full of action and excitement. Asaro continues to improve as an author, but her books contain too much redundant information. In order to set the proper background for those readers who might not have read her earlier works, or predecessor novels, she repeats details about locations, family members, traits, etc. to an excessive degree. She even repeats the same details multiple times within the same novel. I...more
Cat
Of the two Triad books, I think this one is my favorite... maybe because everyone wants to see what happens after a cliffhanger. I'm not sure what pressures the author was under to split these two, but The Triad is definitely a single major story arc.

Again, back stories are nice, but I'm left wondering what happens if I read them in Skolian timeline order rather than publishing order. It's something I've done with other serial titles, and am liking to try with this series.
I'm trying to figure out why I liked the earlier books better than the more recent ones. It may be a symptom of my having read them too close together, but I think it has to do with a shift in writing style. More is explained, and the reader has to do less extrapolation to figure out what's going on. I liked the challenge of the 1st few novels where we were plunked down into a new universe and had to think about who these characters were and what they were doing.
Joy
The Aristo slavers have decided that now is the time to destroy the Skolian Empire. Their strategy is to break up the Kyle Net, the communications system that makes the Skolian Empire possible. The Net runs on the minds of the Skolian family, so each of the family is a target for assassins. A complicated family life is brought into relief by the severe threats to all their lives. It is especially satisfying to watch Eldrinson finally come into his own.
Mike
This is another adventure of the Skolian Empire by Catherine Asaro. Some parts were pretty predictable since this is, after all, a prequel to some other books in the series. But, the character development is strong as usual and the action is good. There are a satisfying number of dramatic moments. I recommend it to Asaro fans.
Joni
This book is a continuation of the Triad books. It is much better than the first half. The first half suffers from lack of development of the characters. It was all set-up. In this book we see characters develop and of course, it's jam packed with tense action as well. Much more in line with what I expect from Asaro.
Lisa
This whole series is great. With this two-part mini-series, it was good to be able to get to see the characters younger and to revisit some who had been lost.
Susan
The last of the prequel to date, Soz finishes her training and goes on to start her stellar career as a Jagernaut.

Cover by Luis Royo
Kerry
Oct 16, 2012 Kerry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 10, 2006, sf
[Copied across from Library Thing; 17 October 2012]
Patrick
fun and good character development, as usual for the author
Steve Tussing
Steve Tussing marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
John Holst
John Holst marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Anna Neibling
Anna Neibling marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Lily Martinez-rios
Lily Martinez-rios marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
  • Saltation (Theo Waitley, #2) (Liaden Universe, #14)
  • Command Performance
  • Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)
  • Judge (Wess'Har Wars, #6)
  • Miles Errant (Vorkosigan Omnibus, #4)
  • Migration (Species Imperative, #2)
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula® Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine...more
More about Catherine Asaro...
Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1) The Charmed Sphere (Lost Continent, #1) The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6) The Misted Cliffs (Lost Continent, #2) Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)