Start by marking “The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)

The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,106 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
When Kelric, a scion of the imperial family of Skolia, crash-lands his fighter on the off-limits planet of Coba, he figures it will be only a short time before he makes his way home. But he fails to account for the powerful matriarchy of Coba, the mistresses of the great estates who do not want the Empire to know about their recent cultural advances.

First they take him pri
Published December 15th 1998 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Hawk

April
Oct 21, 2007 April rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kristen! And anyone who likes good space opera, of course.
Recommended to April by: Anastasia
Shelves: favorites
It’s been awhile since I’ve picked up anything by Asaro, and now I’m wondering why that’s the case. I’m still reeling from finishing this book. I read it in less than a day, and I’m not the world’s quickest reader. I like to soak. Well, that was impossible this time.
The Last Hawk is another installment in Asaro’s Skolian Empire series. It’s the story of Kelric, one of the three heirs to the Imperialate throne. He crashes on a relatively unknown world- Coba- where the ISC is an unwanted presence.
Cat
Apr 03, 2012 Cat rated it really liked it
After the jarring universe jump from book #1 to book #2, I was prepared to drop into yet another separate/parallel storyline in book #3 in the Skolian universe. And Kelric's adventures on Coba might be my favorite isolated storyline in this branch of the series.

Just like the Chora in Jane Kindred's The House of Arkhangel’sk books, the Quis in the Last Hawk made me want to learn to play along. Of course, the point of the Quis seems to be that it's more complex than I can imagine, and it makes me
Jamie
Dec 14, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Okay, I am an unabashed Asaro fan. There is little she writes about the Skolian empire that I don't love. This was my first by her that I had read and now I often find myself looking for her work everywhere I go. Kelric won my heart within the first few pages. The world Asaro created was unique from any others I had read about and she crafted it so well I actually felt pulled into it during the reading of this story. This was one of the finest written books I'd read in the last 2 months and I wa ...more
Elar
Aug 26, 2013 Elar rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Author introduces in this book another lost heir to Skolian empire (mhmh third book in the series with same starting point :). This time interesting game is thriving everything and it is fascinating to see how our hero learns and masters it. In this book women are really sexists pigs, but they also try to see men more than reproducing organs although some scenes are really vivid and reflect problem in out current social situation.
Sonja
Feb 10, 2014 Sonja rated it it was amazing
I finished this one last night... stayed up too late reading but it was worth it! The only reason I didn't give this book a 10 is that it ended too soon! Now I'll have to find other books in the Skolian Empire series...

Douglas
May 14, 2014 Douglas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better books in the Skolian series.
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
re-read 2/9/2005
re-read 5/26/2014

Kelric -- poor Kelric. I wish I had a mind for maths the way he does!
Hildegart
Apr 29, 2012 Hildegart rated it it was amazing
I found the first few chapters of this book on the publisher's website and decided I just had to read this author! I'm glad I did!!
Pat Urban
Jan 01, 2015 Pat Urban rated it it was amazing
The culture(s) created in this novel are fascinating! I've read this book several times and always enjoy it immensely.
Becca
Mar 18, 2012 Becca rated it it was amazing
The first Skolian book I read and I've kept coming back. I really like the world building and of course Kelric is a very likable character.
Kerry
Jun 12, 2015 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, reread, 10, 2007
Blurb: The Last Hawk tells the tale of the lost heir to the Empire. Fleeing the heat of battle in a wounded spacecraft, Kelric crash-lands on a proscribed planet where a matriarchy rules through the medium of a complex game. The women in power help to heal him, but destroy his ship and determine that he can never leave - for his knowledge of their world, if revealed to the Empire, would cause the rapid fall of their civilization. And so his rescue turns into an imprisonment of years, decades, a ...more
Barry
Feb 09, 2017 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read, interesting plot, good character development, lots of twists and turns. A great stand alone story. But, as part of a series, doesn't seem to do anything to further the series. In fact, more or less a rewrite of the previous story in the series.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Dec 11, 2009 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
I found this book, the 3rd in Asaro's Skolian Empire Saga, much different than the two previous books. The other two take place in a relatively short span of time with the point of view being the heroine's. This book is more of a saga spanning over sixteen years. The main character is a very sympathetically drawn male and it's written in the third person. Also, the huge chunks of technical information that went over my head in the previous books were absent from this one. It is much wider in sco ...more
John Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing
The Last Hawk (1997) 443 pages by Catherine Asaro.

Kelric heir to the imperator escapes from a battle by jumping into inversion but when he comes back to sublight speed he finds that his Jag is damaged and that he must find help. The only available place to land is the restricted world Coba. He crash lands and the natives can't let him die nor can they let him go. If he left the planet undoubtedly there would be questions about the restriction and the ISC would come to the planet and control it.
Stacy
Jan 21, 2010 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, scifi
Departing entirely from the saga of Soz and the Imperialate (disregarding #2 which takes us so many years in the future that I hesitate to include it when listing the series for friends), we learn the true fate of Kelric Valdoria, younger brother to Soz who disappeared not long before we meet our cast in the first of the series, Primary Inversion.

Kelric has landed on the planet Coba, a Restricted planet having no communication with the Empire. A matriarchal planet, Kelric is immediately sold int
Constance Griffith
Aug 01, 2013 Constance Griffith rated it really liked it
Eh, I still think Catch the Lightning is the best (I've now read Books 1-3) but this was better than Primary Inversion. The romance elements came on a little strong, but character development was a bit better even if it seemed to play secondary to Asaro's desire to romantically involve Kelric with every female of note on the planet.

The redeeming grace of this book is quis. I found the concept fascinating and the descriptions of Kelric's quis and how it was integral to the social and political s
Kelly
Feb 08, 2011 Kelly rated it liked it
This is a big book. In my opinion, Catherine Asaro tried to do too much with this novel. Despite the length of the novel and the sheer volume of information packed therein, I was left wanting more in several places, however.

The politics of the planet Coba are unique, but I felt they became the focus of the book. While that might work for a standalone novel – and all the novels in the Skolian Empire can be read separately – it detracts from this part of the whole. This is less a story about the S
Bruce
Apr 18, 2010 Bruce rated it really liked it
Spinning out of control at superluminal speed wounded warrior Kelricson Garlin Valdoria kya Skolia desperately tries to regain control of his spacecraft. The best he can do is to force an emergency crash-landing on the restricted planet Coba. It’s been restricted by the powerful Skolian Empire at the request of the planet’s ruling matriarchy, who do not want imperial cultural contamination. He survives the crash, but is imprisoned by his rescuers, the manager of Dahl, one of the great estates an ...more
Simon
Apr 01, 2014 Simon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the end, I was just glad that this book was over. Even though it is #3 in a series - I bought it in the days before Audible thought to include this information in its catalogue - it started out strong and I was quite enjoying it. From about halfway through it descended from its stranger in a strange land theme into an episodic "...her bosom heaved at the sight of his thrustful loins..." type of pulp fiction and the story became more difficult to follow. I don't think it mattered so much that ...more
Kathy
Oct 15, 2014 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Although I usually like Asaro's books, I agree with some of the others reviewer's comments about how irritating it becomes to read about how irresistible Kelric is to every single female he seems to encounter.

It reminded be how I felt when reading the Twilight series... if I had to hear about how wonderful Edward's cold, hard chest was, I began to feel nauseous.

The story itself didn't engage me either, although the main saving grace is highlighting women's role in modern society by turning the t
Dawn
Apr 28, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
I am not reading any of Asaro's books in order so I'm never quite sure where I am in the timeline when I pick up a book of the Skolian Empire.
This one is more of a romance than a science fiction book for the most part. From the moment that Kelric Valdoria crashes on the matriarchal run planet of Coba, to the moment he escapes, it is more about the women who want to own him than about anything else. The dice game of Quis is an interesting part of the story, mostly in respect to how it effects soc
Molly
Jun 20, 2011 Molly added it
Shelves: abandoned, fem-sci-fi
I finished half this book, that is Book 1 It was good, but not so good that I could stay away from other books long enough to finish it. I liked the ideas, the characters and especially the ideas. The gender role switcharoo, with the main character as a golden boy-toy was refreshing and relaxing. What sick thing is it in me that would rather read a horrid dystopia where the characters fight in vain against an awful patriarchy? I just couldn't muster on this book, even though I give it 2 thumbs u ...more
BobA707
Aug 01, 2016 BobA707 rated it liked it
Summary: Good action, interesting main character, interesting premise, well written , but over long and the plot not particularly believable ad the romance overdone.

Plotline: The basic plot was pretty good and worked well with the premise, but over long and not convincing

Premise: Interesting. Not fully convinced it would really work, but different too most SF.

Writing: Good bits were good, well described, interesting characters

Ending: Different again

Pace: Never a dull moment!
Stasha
Sep 21, 2012 Stasha rated it liked it
Shelves: fluff, sf-and-fantasy
Leif Anderson
I liked Primary Inversion, but thought it was a little weird. Then I read Lask Hawk, and oh no! It was a romance novel! With that said, it was pretty good, although I would never actually admit to enjoying a romance novel.
Carolyn
Mar 19, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Asaro's being a chemist and physicist makes the "science" in her fiction much more interesting and I'm continuing/completing my reading of this series. This side story introduces the fascinating game of Quis as Kelric spends some 20 years on Coba while his family and the rest of the universe assumes he's dead.
Darth
Oct 04, 2010 Darth rated it did not like it
This might be the least interesting thing I wasted my time reading since I was dumb enough to read Twilight.

I wont elucidate the many things I didnt care for - suffice it to say I found the characters boring, 1 dimensional, and I just wasnt able to find half a red damn to give about any of them.
David Mason
Jan 16, 2010 David Mason rated it it was ok
Ugh. OK, but not really good. There is a marking time aspect to the book - a filler for the series? And sometimes the book's varied conceits (oooo a world dominated by women and the men are helpless sex objects) is just overdone. Also far far overdone is the authors infuriating use of "gentle" as a verb. "Her face gentled." It really detracts.
Joy
Jan 10, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it
Capturing Kelric Skolia and holding him in slavery for 18 years is really not recommended. He may be stunningly attractive, but that much rage held in subjection can tear apart a world.

This is where Kelric learns to play Quis, which may eventually stop the Skolian-Eubean wars.
Chelsea Malcolm
Jan 02, 2015 Chelsea Malcolm rated it liked it
I really like this author's stories, plus I love that she is a physicist and so I feel smarter after reading too. Its not a perfect book but it will keep you reading and you won't regret the lost sleep :)
  • The Byworlder
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)
  • Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3)
  • The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)
  • Celestis
  • Against Infinity (Jupiter Project, #2)
  • Frontera
  • Mars Crossing
  • Mission Child
  • Ragamuffin (Xenowealth, #2)
  • Picoverse
  • Redshift Rendezvous
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Half Past Human (The Hive, #1)
  • And Chaos Died
  • Assemblers of Infinity
  • Orbital Resonance (Century Next Door, #1)
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula® Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine
More about Catherine Asaro...

Saga of the Skolian Empire (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • Ascendant Sun (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #5)
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
  • Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #7)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • Schism (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #10; The Triad, #1)
  • The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #11; The Triad, #2)