Start by marking “Dusk (Tales of Noreela, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dusk (Tales of Noreela, #1)

Dusk (Tales of Noreela #1)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  488 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Kosar the thief senses that Rafe Baburn is no ordinary boy. After witnessing a madman plunder Rafe's village and murder his parents, Kosar knows the boy needs his help. And now, for a reason he cannot fathom, others are seeking the boy's destruction.

Uncertain where to begin, Kosar turns to A'Meer, an ex-lover and Shantasi warrior whose people, unbeknownst to him, have bee
Published February 2006 by Spectra (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dusk

Jason
Aug 13, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
4.5 Stars

This book has everything that I look for in my fantasy novels. Incredibly dark and dirty. Our heroes are not really good guys even though they are the protagonists of this adventure. I have never read anything from Tim Lebbon but I am now a big fan.

This book is not for the feint of heart, and it's grisly violence will turn some off. If you cannot deal with innocents being maimed and murdered then you need to stay way from this book. Trey, Kosar, Ameer, and Rafe are all likable protagon
S.E. Lindberg
The cover blurb from author Paul Kearney promised that Dusk Is Fantasy For Grown-Ups… An Excellent Book.” I agree and cannot think of a better topline summary.

For Grown-Ups? Yes. Dusk is chock-full of: explicit gore, adult sexual situations, profane language, alluring drug trips, etc. This book is not for young adults. It is also not for adults looking for a light read.

Is it Fantasy? Yes. A brief summary (minus the “adults-only warning”) would even seem to describe a typical young adult fantas
Amy Hughes
Mar 06, 2008 Amy Hughes rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes, but probably not to mormons.
this is one of the very best fantasy books i have ever read in my life. it was beautifully written, completely draws you in and i could not put it down. but i hesitate to recommend it to my lds friends. it is dark. it is creepy. it is graffic. at times it is downright disturbing. this guy writes horror, this time he wrote fantasy.

the opening scene, the bad guy rides into town and slits a little girls throat. he then proceeds to massacre the entire town (written in quite a bit of detail). it get
Congoking
It started off awesome but after a few chapters it started to wane. The author didn't keep me interested in the characters nor the world itself. I had no idea where anything was going. It got tougher and tougher to get through. The cover lures you in but in my mind this was a trap. I will not be reading the follow up to this.
Ian
Apr 17, 2012 Ian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was horrible.
First and last time I take book recommendations from people while playing CS:S.
Szynszyliszys
Reading this was really a daunting task. Awful most of the time.
Emily
Mar 16, 2012 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn

‘You have heard of Joe Abercrombie, George RR Martin, KJ Parker?’
‘Yes’
‘Sesame Street.’ -- With full apologies to anyone involved in the Princess Bride.

Truly this was a dark, dark book. Immediately turn back if you don’t want your book to start with the slaughter of a town, move on to the slaughter of a village, and follow that up with a journey through a sin filled city. As would be expected the book will follow a couple of dubious personalities, including a branded thief and
Cameron
Jun 26, 2010 Cameron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alina
Okay, So I'm really sad about this one; why? Because I really liked it. It had everything in it for a really great, epic Sci-Fi novel. The suspense, tension, evil threat bigger than anyone can comprehend, the unlikely group who come together that maybe mankind's last hope. Yeah, it was good...until the end. Now, I'm all for a good twist, but this was a stab and twist to the gut and heart kind of twist. One that leaves a bad taste of blood in your mouth. Some may like that kind of thing, but not ...more
Venessa
Feb 04, 2008 Venessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror and dark fantasy fans
This is an extremely dark fantasy tale. It was a somewhat difficult read because I had to walk away from it from time to time. I couldn't read more than about 40 pages in one sitting. With that caveat, however, I must say that it is a very *good* book. Tim Lebbon has a talent for bringing the setting to life and for making the characters multi-faceted. In some scenes, you could smell the mud in the streets, see the texture of the stone buildings. Very visual.

If you're looking for happy endings,
Sud666
Feb 19, 2016 Sud666 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I won't lie. It was the cover that got me. I was randomly wandering around my public library and saw this wicked cover and immediately picked up this book. I am glad I did. Dusk starts off a little slow and strange. The world of Noorela is an innovative one and the story does not follow the usual fantasy pace. But once it starts it is very hard to put down. A brief synopsis (no spoilers):

300 years before this story begins there was a great Cataclysmic War where two Mages warped and twisted the n
Jen Mendeck
I picked this up on an impulse from the library off the "October reading" shelf. It has some original fantasy concepts. The author also likes writing about gore. Overall, I wasn't wowed. I'm definitely not putting the next book in the series onto my reading list.
Salient
Jun 13, 2008 Salient rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting concept and a few neat ideas crippled by a hackneyed plot ("Oh, there's a prophecy!") and an attitude that writing about sex a lot makes your work "mature."
Kivrin
Sep 02, 2010 Kivrin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up on this one. Too slow, too many characters introduced (Chap 11--and there are still new characters coming in left and right). Way too dark and negative for me.
William Gerke
An interesting concept and a few neat ideas weakened by use of the overused "prophecy" motif and a sexual scenes and situations that seemed gratuitious.
Traummachine
Jan 04, 2013 Traummachine rated it it was amazing
Tim Lebbon's Face was a wonderful horror novel; atmospheric and tense, surreal but immediate. It reminded me of the dream-like quality of a Charles Grant story. So when I learned that he'd written a dark fantasy novel, I was excited.

Dusk lived up to my hopes. A very dark fantasy devoid of elves, dwarves, and kings, this feels more like the setting for King's Dark Tower books than a cliche fantasy story. The background is that magic fled from the world of Noreela about 3 centuries ago, and is try
Rodolfo
I picked up this book because of the reviews that I have read here. It was described as a Horror/Fantasy book. This interested me because I have grown tired of the tame fantasy books that I have been reading. I wanted something with a little more meat on its bones so to speak. So I gave it a chance.

While I didn't find it much of a horror book I did enjoy the more gritty descriptions and bloody violence. I guess horror means different things to different people. I like all of the characters exce
Mark Bukovec
Oct 10, 2007 Mark Bukovec rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want more grit and gore in their epic fantasy
Wow, this one starts off with a bang. No sitting around the fireplace talking about the impending arrival of Evil. Nope, it's an all out slaughter and the chase is on.

This book isn't so much dark fantasy as it is a horror novel in a fantasy setting. Lebbon really shines when he describes the dark corners of his world: the criminal underground of the capital city, the deep mines where generations of miners spend their lives, and what lies beneath the basements of the evil monastery.

Lebbon also ad
James
Apr 11, 2013 James rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I wasn't even able to finish this, got two thirds into it--barely. This was the worst book I've read in a long time, and a huge disappointment. This book was all around bad in every area.

Characters were all unoriginal and stale with zero development. most seemed pointless to the plot. They didn't even have a good reason to end up with each other when they finally did.

The plot was uber boring and could be summarized in one paragraph. There was excessive time spent on description of pointless thin
Sean Benson
Jul 21, 2015 Sean Benson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can not tell you how many times I have read this book, I read through it, and pick it up again, and read all the way through it. Its a very compelling and very detailed story for any sci-fi, fiction, horror enthusiast. He brings the world of Noreala to life!
Gary
Jun 18, 2010 Gary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okayyyy...I was expecting a lot more from this book than it delivered. Many of the elements you want in a good fantasy novel were there - magic hating monks all in red killing indiscriminately in order to halt the return of magic to the world; ancient mages in exile with fanatical followers determined to grab any returning magic for themselves; a thief; a warrior woman; a witch; a fledge miner (a drug mined underground like coal); and a librarian (yes a librarian). So, who could imagine that all ...more
Brian Taylor
Mar 25, 2014 Brian Taylor rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of Mr. Lebbon. With that being said, there are things I really like about this book, and some I don't. The ending didn't feel like a proper ending to me. It was like someone just pressed pause. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I do like the world an most of the characters. I also like seeing things from the villain's POV. The Red Monks are great characters. I hope the next book sheds some light on Trey and Alishia because they really didn't do much here and, as presented, the ...more
Andrea
Jan 03, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very different from standard fantasy. Lebbon (I recently learned) is primarily a horror writer and you can really tell. The book is gory and slightly... off. It isn't a bad off but keeps you on edge the whole time.

There isn't really much to the book. It is a lot of character development, and hinting, and set up. The book does have action and is by no means boring, however, after reading it there was a lack of accomplishment. It didn't feel like anything really happened until the last chapter.

Th
Carson Hill
Apr 07, 2016 Carson Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, different, gritty, and grim. I loved it.
Roman Milner
May 29, 2014 Roman Milner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It's nice to read a fantasy that tends more towards the creepy. Many of the characters weren't as developed as I would have liked. There were only a couple that I really worried about and one of them was missing for much of the book.

Still, a very original and interesting setting. I'll definitely read the sequel.
Evan Alexander
Not nearly as well written as heavyweights like Tolkin or Martin. Atmosphere lacks depth and richness. Didn't really care about the characters -as they came off bland- or the world in general..
Nathan
Dec 12, 2008 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a good fantasy book with magic and all that stuff and have been kind of disappointed with this one. It sounded good from the back page, but the author doesn't do a very good job or explaining phenomenons and therefore it doesn't tie together very well.
Ashley
Dec 29, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. It had all the elements I love from Tim Lebbon; no black and white characters, fast paced and lots of action and suspense, dark, and awesome villains. Plus the fact that it was a fantasy book made it even better for me. I can't wait to read "Dawn".
Katie
Jul 13, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A detailed world with original creatures and characters. Most of the personalities are worth getting to know. Very gory, which isn't my preference, but certainly adds to the horror of the devastation about to overcome the world. A worthy fantasy.
  • Indigo
  • The Grin of the Dark
  • One
  • Hrolf Kraki's Saga
  • Felaheen
  • Last Dragon
  • Silverheart
  • The Night of the Triffids
  • Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)
  • Death's Master (Flat Earth, #2)
  • The Myth Hunters (The Veil, #1)
  • Bone Song (Tristopolis, #1)
  • Shadowfall (Godslayer Chronicles, #1)
  • Snow, Fire, Sword (El Jisal, #1)
  • Maledicte (Antyre, #1)
  • Perdido Street Station 1 (New Crobuzon #1.1)
  • Dark Sleeper (Western Lights, #1)
I love writing, reading, triathlon, real ale, chocolate, good movies, occasional bad movies, and cake.

I was born in London in 1969, lived in Devon until I was eight, and the next twenty years were spent in Newport. My wife Tracey and I then did a Good Thing and moved back to the country, and we now live in the little village of Goytre in Monmouthshire with our kids Ellie and Daniel. And our dog,
More about Tim Lebbon...

Tales of Noreela (5 books)
  • Dawn (Tales of Noreela, #2)
  • After the War: Two Tales of Noreela
  • Fallen (Tales of Noreela, #4)
  • The Island (Tales of Noreela, #5)