Start by marking “Tales of the Ten Lost Tribes” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Ten Lost Tribes

Tales of the Ten Lost Tribes

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Deeply melancholy with a streak of dark humor, award-winning author Tamar Yellin presents this haunting collection of linked stories thatexaminethe heart of human longing and ask the question: Where do we belong?

Taking its imagery from the legend of the exiled ten tribes of Israel, Tales of the Ten Lost Tribes follows the life-journey of an enigmatic narrator who encounte
Published September 29th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Ten Lost Tribes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Ten Lost Tribes

Jessica
These melancholy stories, narrated by a wandering Jewish scholar who encounters a series of lost and lonely people, read like early 19th-century Eastern European stories, but the theme of displacement feels very contemporary. She captures the sense that once you leave home, you may never find anywhere -- even if you return to your lost place of origin -- that feels like home again.
Rachel
I found this to be a fascinating book, very original. It can get a bit musty, as it's stream-of-consciousness, and the narrator is definitely a bit of a stuffy academic. :P Throughout the course of the stories, you can tell that it's the same protagonist, though he has no name and has no gender (I'm assuming male)- the stories are all about wandering, being a foreigner, being lost, or being uncomfortable in your own skin. The supporting cast always receives names only because they are fleeting.

E
Harvey Tordoff
This book was a gift. I scanned the obscure quotations between the chapters and thought I was in for a heavy read, so for a while I put off starting it. To be honest, I am not that concerned what happened to the ten lost tribes, although I remember from my childhood that my aunt claimed to be a British Israelite, and that seemed quite exotic. I never spoke to her about it then, and by the time I reached adulthood and might have had a conversation about it my mind had moved onto other things. Sti ...more
Nancy
Given stunning reviews, I expected to like this collection of stories much more than I did. Each story is preceded by the name of one of the ten lost tribes of Israel, and some brief quotes about the lost tribes. The stories themselves are cleverly linked to this conceit of the lost tribes in that each features an unnamed narrator, disconnected from others and homeless in the sense of being lost in the world. Ultimately the stories seemed to run together into a depressing river of lost opportuni ...more
This is a very intriguing premise: the book is a series of linked stories and the language is lovely and evocative, but they don't always 'work' independently and as a set. I liked the way the last story tied in with the first, although thought it a little forced. The first story was the best, and this is what hooked me into committing to the book initially. I had high hopes and felt disappointed by the end, but I would definitely check for more fiction by this writer.
Judith
I found this book as an "Advance Reader's Copy/Uncorrected Proof" in a second-hand store and consider it quite a find. Amazing manipulation/camouflaging/metamorphoses of the linking narrator/persona as the eternal/universal border-crosser. Some elements of magical realism, but they don't hit you over the head. This line is not really a cliche: "You want to go home, she answered, but there is no such place."
Kayla Crockett
Although I have yet to discover really WHAT this had to do with the ten lost tribes, I really enjoyed the book. It's a quick read. I loved the author's writing style. She really has a knack for crafting a wonderfully written sentence. Each chapter reads as a short story and I found them each engaging and interesting. I'd recommend it to almost everyone.
Debra Robbins
Very disappointing. I did not get the connection between the tribe named in each story and the theme or image of the story (maybe there wasn't one!) I was glad to finish it and be able to move on to something different.
Marianne
Loved her first book. Still trying to understand this one. Short Stories but I'm sensing a pattern that I haven't captures yet.
Elijah Spector
Free Book Day 2010!
Ann Fox
Ann Fox marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Rose Blum
Rose Blum marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
William Bawgus
William Bawgus marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Ariel Oryah
Ariel Oryah marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Jhay-ar Tanate
Jhay-ar Tanate marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Perlie
Perlie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Ruchama Feuerman
Ruchama Feuerman marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Roslyn
Roslyn added it
Jul 06, 2013
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Genizah at the House of Shepher Kafka in Brontëland and Other Stories el desván de la casa de los Sepherd El desván de la casa de los Shepher (Bestseller (roca)) (Spanish Edition) People of the Book: A Decade of Jewish Science Fiction & Fantasy