Start by marking “All the Way Home ” as Want to Read:
All the Way Home

All the Way Home

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  494 ratings  ·  85 reviews
The reuniting of two friends separated by WWII internment camps shows the vital importance of family and the bitter consequences of prejudice.
Published June 1st 2002 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about All the Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Way Home

Searching for Sanity by Lindsey BellPhenomena by Susan TarrEdna in the Desert by Maddy LedermanRisk by Geoffrey  WoodThe Redemption of Caralynne Hayman by Carole   Brown
Best Christian Fiction & Non-Fiction
19th out of 178 books — 125 voters
Candle in the Darkness by Lynn AustinThe Silent Governess by Julie KlassenA Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne GistA Proper Pursuit by Lynn AustinFire by Night by Lynn Austin
Christy Award Winners
75th out of 119 books — 89 voters

More lists with this book...

I would not ordinarily pick up a Christian Fiction book because I'm no Christian and I have a problem personally reading religious type stories. But I read so many good reviews that I decided to read was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I read 2-4 books a week too.

Don't miss this. I'd rather not give any spoilers but I will tell you that, even though this is a long book, it's worth every word, every minute, every chapter.

What a great book. I found this one browsing through the historical fiction section at my library. I'd never heard of the book nor the author, but I'm glad I picked this one up.

I was intrigued by the idea of a white American girl being adopted into the home of Japanese Americans right before WWII. The little girl fell in love with the family and with the Japanese culture. I'm studying the Japanese language and a bit of the culture and I can understand the fascination.

The novel tugged at my hear
Overall the story (stories) were decent. It felt like two books, almost like it could have been a series, but it was a two part book. The first half of the book took place with the two main characters as children living in southern California leading up to and during WWII. Sunny is a second generation Japanese American who has an incredibly loving and supportive family who feel they are as American as anyone else. Augie comes from a broken family and quickly comes to love Sunny's family when the ...more
I love this book. It pulled me in slowly, and didn't let me go.

Ever read a book that does something so well that it makes other books seem to fall short in comparison? That what this book did for me with character and history. I love historical fiction, but I realized after reading this that so many of the books of that genre I've read just seem to grab characters with modern viewpoints and thrust them back in history...or, on the opposite extreme, take historical stereotypes and build a charact
This book was a very timely read what with the Boston Marathon bombing and all the ensuing "round them up and kick 'em out" rhetoric coming from some factions of the U.S. population.

Augie is a lonely girl, from a sad home and an even sadder family untilt he day she meets Sunny, an American of Japanese descent who becomes her very best friend. In fact, Sunny's family become Augie's surrogate family and before too long she is essentially living there and becoming more and more enamored of the Japa
I'm not sure why I chose this book when I did. Something in the title, and the brief description of an unlikely friendship withstanding skin color, cultural chaos and the fundamental need to and for love. It took me back to a lot of the ironies and problems of my childhood as a 'half-breed' myself. At one point in the book I became slightly discouraged because I felt the book had taken an irrelevant turn and focus - from one world into another. But, as I read on I realized how everything intertw ...more
Christian historical fiction. Good story, a few slow points, but over all I really liked it. I look forward to reading more of this author's work. My kindle edition had some missing punctuation and other moments of random awkwardness, but I'm putting the blame on the those who formatted this and not the author, at least this time. There are two distinct parts to this story the become interwoven. Unique and well written, I'm glad I took a chance on this.
Michelle Jones
I didn't really know what to expect from this book. I loved the childhood friendship before WWII in the first part of the book, and was therefore taken by surprise when so much of the book actually took place during the Civil Rights Movement in the South. Once I got used to that, though, I was again pulled in by the wonderful characters. I felt so close to Augie throughout the book--she really came alive for me.
Samantha Parrish
You must read this book!

There is simply not one thing about this book I didn't like. It left me breathless and aching in my heart at the cruelty and injustice of people. I honestly think this would.make a great addition to a required reading program for high school students. This book made me think and question my beliefs about race and equality. Definitely worth the time to read!!
Kristina Hoagland
I really enjoyed the first half of the book. I zipped right through it, however I really struggled with the second half. To be honest the whole book is well written but it almost feels like two separate books. I liked both stories and I understand why the author wrote it this way however I couldn't get past the feeling of reading two separate books. I wanted more of the first half of the book...
I just love Ann Tatlock's books - every single one I've read. This book takes on the subject of racism in the US over a 30 year period and is the story of two girls whose lives are affected by prejudice in their time. You don't just lightly read an Ann Tatlock book and then move on. There is so much to think about, to mull over. I highly recommend this book!!!
My favorite genre is historical fiction. This story was a home run – out of the ball park for Ann Tatlock. I have read a number of Ann’s books. They have been great stories. “All the Way Home” is one of those stories that will linger in my mind for some time to come. It is far beyond a 5-star book. The truths came flowing from the historical situations like gold discovered shimmering at your feet in a river. So many “ahaa” moments in this story. There were two subplots that blended together beau ...more
Another great historical Christian fiction book by Ann Tatlock! if you want to "feel" what it was like in depression era pre-WW2 and relocation camps if you were Japanese American or the deep south when blacks were given the right to vote but were up against the KKK- this is the book for you! I love the way she writes that puts you right there on the street. Overall, this is a story of prejudices, forgiveness and knowing that we don't have the whole story in any situation. There were so many tim ...more
kind of slow.
This book was marvelous. I am a great fan of author Ann Tatlock. She is a brilliant writer who focuses on a critical social issue in each of her books. The issue is this book was racism in the U.S. from World War II to the mid-1960's.

I am amazed that Ms Tatlock is not better known. Her books are always thought-provoking. The books are not for the "beach read" crowd, but surely there are readers who are looking for meaningfulness who would appreciate this author if they knew of her works.

Jeni Enjaian
Tatlock's wordsmith ability increases tremendously with each book she writes.

I really enjoyed this story though I would have enjoyed it more had she spent more time developing the first half of the story, the part describing Augie and Sunny's childhood friendship. That likely would have required a second book since this book is already quite long. I wouldn't have been adverse to that though I understand why Tatlock chose to structure the book as she did.

Once again I am amazed at how capably Tatl
Wendy Hall
I enjoyed and appreciated the historical aspects of this novel. I had not known much about the internment camps for people of Japanese descent and this book definitely opened my eyes to some of the life-changes that people were forced to go through for no fault of their own. Part one was set in that time period and place (California) and part two was set in the deep south during the civil rights movement. Both were hard to read about the discrimination people were forced to endure and experience ...more
This is the 1rst of Ann Tatlock's books I have read and it certainly won't be the last. It goes straight into my favourites folder. Right from the 1rst page to the last, it held my attention. Bringing vividly into life the differences and attitutes of Augie and Sunny's familys, it brought both smiles and tears to my face. Such indifference and then such love and understanding.
And then their meeting years later, the world around them still in turmoil, this time between races rather than between
this book is hard to describe. It was well written, kept my interest and I learned so much about the Japanese in WWII and the African Americans in the 60s. I feel it came at a different direction than most of us hear in school. I loved that. I felt with the characters. It is a bit long and at some points, it could have been shortened, but otherwise a great read!
Far better than I would ever expect a free read to be. I enjoyed the plot, the history and the characters. Some of the plot twists were a little too coincidental but not enough to diminish my enjoyment of the book. I look forward to trying something else from this author.
What do you get when you mix the story-telling genius of Jamie Ford's "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" with Kathryn Stockett's "The Help?" This fabulous read is a mixture of both with a mesmerizing twist that is unique to Ann Tatlock. Her characters dripped sincerity and I felt at the end that I had traveled alongside them and would recognize them in seconds if they knocked at my door. A warning that the topics she addresses are often "hard to take" and brutally honest." Also, I must le ...more
I started out absolutely loving this book . About halfway thru, though, it got way too long and too wordy- So detailed in the facts of the setting/time that I started to loose the characters. I had to give it a four because of the theme, the connection of the characters and the intense backdrop of WW11 and Civil Rights era-

This book really took forever to get anywhere and many times I almost gave up. It was only the last maybe 75 pages that really hooked me and thus earned 4 stars. I was leaning towards 3 the entire time up to that point.

But seriously, WHO edits these ebooks? That punctuation errors were driving me insane. Periods missing EVERYWHERE. It really takes away from the enjoyment of reading when you are stopped dead to try to decipher what really is going on because the punctuation just doesn't help you
Sarah Bramlett
I read this because after my mom read it she loved it and started looking for all of her books. We normally have pretty similar tastes so I thought I'd give it a try.

While slow to start all the background in the first half of the book really does suck you in. I enjoyed it and all the mini roller coasters of emotions it took me on. It was interesting to learn what was happening to different people in America during WWII because no one ever really talks about anything but the Jews and Hitler.
Martin Wiles
Wonderful Read

As always, another wonderful suspense filled book. Well worth the read. Ann does a wonderful job in this historical novel.
Shelley Bond
Japanese internment, KKK, racism all issues; covers ~1930's to 1960's; lots
of great historical stuff included; absorbing story and characters.
Feb 18, 2013 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I thought this book was quite well- written, and I found myself engrossed in the story. Maybe I should say stories, because it felt like 2 books in one, with the same main characters. Either half of the book would have been a complete story without the other. That being said, I wish I could have given the first part 5 stars and only 3 to the second part. Part two didn't seem as well-written, and I didn't care for how the author seemed to get carried away with the vernacular of the blacks in 1960 ...more
Absolutely fantastic book - I didn't want it to end. In this book, Augie and Sunny held a magic bond of friendship that survived dishonest relatives, a world war, distance, and time. The author spells out truths to help us in understanding racial discrimination, which happens to the best of us maybe most during times of fear (war). I received this as a free book and was amazingly surprised at the quality of the story and the characters. Now I'm recommending it to others: This book will enrich yo ...more
Such an enlightening, we'll crafted novel. The rare type that will long be in my heart. Looking forward to reading more by the author.
I just finished listening to this book and in the beginning, was absorbed by the story, but as it moved from Augusta's memories of childhood to her present time, I lost interest quickly. It was almost too preachy in dealing with cival rights and her quest to discover "God". The writing was good and I did learn a lot about how the Japanese were treated during WWII, so it was about average for me.
  • Blue Hole Back Home
  • The Second Thanksgiving
  • The Deepest Waters
  • Songbird Under a German Moon
  • Stepping Into Sunlight
  • Wildflowers of Terezin
  • Flame of Resistance
  • Sarai (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 1)
  • The Victory Club
  • Until We Reach Home
  • Edge of Grace
  • For Time & Eternity (Sister Wife #1)
  • Blue Skies Tomorrow (Wings of Glory, #3)
  • The Voyage of Promise (Grace in Africa, #2)
  • On Sparrow Hill
  • Blood Sisters
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
  • Pirates of Savannah: The Complete Trilogy (Pirates of Savannah, #1-3)
Ann Tatlock is a novelist and children’s book author. Her books have received numerous awards, including the Christy Award, the Midwest Book Award and the Silver Angel Award for Excellence in Media. She also serves as managing editor of Heritage Beacon, the historical fiction imprint of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. She lives with her family in Western North Carolina.
More about Ann Tatlock...
Promises to Keep I'll Watch the Moon Sweet Mercy A Room Of My Own Travelers Rest