Start by marking “All the Way Home ” as Want to Read:
All the Way Home

All the Way Home

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  573 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
The reuniting of two friends separated by WWII internment camps shows the vital importance of family and the bitter consequences of prejudice.
Published June 1st 2002 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about All the Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Way Home

Searching for Sanity by Lindsey BellPhenomena by Susan TarrRisk by Geoffrey  WoodThe Redemption of Caralynne Hayman by Carole   BrownGrimrack by Geoffrey  Wood
Best Christian Fiction & Non-Fiction
20th out of 377 books — 140 voters
Candle in the Darkness by Lynn AustinThe Silent Governess by Julie KlassenA Bride Most Begrudging by Deeanne GistFire by Night by Lynn AustinA Proper Pursuit by Lynn Austin
Christy Award Winners
82nd out of 121 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Pamela

"By the time I moved to Boyle Heights, I was already well aware of a hollow place inside of me, like an air bubble caught in a pane of glass. It was always there hanging about, an ache that made life hard to live, a longing for something that I couldn't being to identify . . . At eight years of age I was already world-weary . . . "

Divided into two wartime eras - World War II and Vietnam - and further distinguishable by tone, narrative, and thematic nuances - Tatlock explores the many faces of
Sheila
Jan 27, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would not ordinarily pick up a Christian Fiction book because I'm no Christian and I have a problem personally reading religious type stories. But I read so many good reviews that I decided to read it...it was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I read 2-4 books a week too.

Don't miss this. I'd rather not give any spoilers but I will tell you that, even though this is a long book, it's worth every word, every minute, every chapter.

Excellent.
Janelle
Feb 04, 2013 Janelle rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, 2013
Overall the story (stories) were decent. It felt like two books, almost like it could have been a series, but it was a two part book. The first half of the book took place with the two main characters as children living in southern California leading up to and during WWII. Sunny is a second generation Japanese American who has an incredibly loving and supportive family who feel they are as American as anyone else. Augie comes from a broken family and quickly comes to love Sunny's family when the ...more
Cassandra
Sep 13, 2010 Cassandra rated it really liked it
What a great book. I found this one browsing through the historical fiction section at my library. I'd never heard of the book nor the author, but I'm glad I picked this one up.

I was intrigued by the idea of a white American girl being adopted into the home of Japanese Americans right before WWII. The little girl fell in love with the family and with the Japanese culture. I'm studying the Japanese language and a bit of the culture and I can understand the fascination.

The novel tugged at my hear
Gale
Jul 15, 2012 Gale rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It pulled me in slowly, and didn't let me go.

Ever read a book that does something so well that it makes other books seem to fall short in comparison? That what this book did for me with character and history. I love historical fiction, but I realized after reading this that so many of the books of that genre I've read just seem to grab characters with modern viewpoints and thrust them back in history...or, on the opposite extreme, take historical stereotypes and build a charact
Lori
Apr 22, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
This book was a very timely read what with the Boston Marathon bombing and all the ensuing "round them up and kick 'em out" rhetoric coming from some factions of the U.S. population.

Augie is a lonely girl, from a sad home and an even sadder family untilt he day she meets Sunny, an American of Japanese descent who becomes her very best friend. In fact, Sunny's family become Augie's surrogate family and before too long she is essentially living there and becoming more and more enamored of the Japa
JLib
Mar 09, 2014 JLib rated it really liked it
I'm not sure why I chose this book when I did. Something in the title, and the brief description of an unlikely friendship withstanding skin color, cultural chaos and the fundamental need to and for love. It took me back to a lot of the ironies and problems of my childhood as a 'half-breed' myself. At one point in the book I became slightly discouraged because I felt the book had taken an irrelevant turn and focus - from one world into another. But, as I read on I realized how everything intertw ...more
Denise
Christian historical fiction. Good story, a few slow points, but over all I really liked it. I look forward to reading more of this author's work. My kindle edition had some missing punctuation and other moments of random awkwardness, but I'm putting the blame on the those who formatted this and not the author, at least this time. There are two distinct parts to this story the become interwoven. Unique and well written, I'm glad I took a chance on this.
Michelle Jones
I didn't really know what to expect from this book. I loved the childhood friendship before WWII in the first part of the book, and was therefore taken by surprise when so much of the book actually took place during the Civil Rights Movement in the South. Once I got used to that, though, I was again pulled in by the wonderful characters. I felt so close to Augie throughout the book--she really came alive for me.
Samantha Parrish
You must read this book!

There is simply not one thing about this book I didn't like. It left me breathless and aching in my heart at the cruelty and injustice of people. I honestly think this would.make a great addition to a required reading program for high school students. This book made me think and question my beliefs about race and equality. Definitely worth the time to read!!
Kristina Hoagland
Jun 28, 2011 Kristina Hoagland rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2011
I really enjoyed the first half of the book. I zipped right through it, however I really struggled with the second half. To be honest the whole book is well written but it almost feels like two separate books. I liked both stories and I understand why the author wrote it this way however I couldn't get past the feeling of reading two separate books. I wanted more of the first half of the book...
Sara
Sep 30, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
I just love Ann Tatlock's books - every single one I've read. This book takes on the subject of racism in the US over a 30 year period and is the story of two girls whose lives are affected by prejudice in their time. You don't just lightly read an Ann Tatlock book and then move on. There is so much to think about, to mull over. I highly recommend this book!!!
Barbara
Mar 12, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
My favorite genre is historical fiction. This story was a home run – out of the ball park for Ann Tatlock. I have read a number of Ann’s books. They have been great stories. “All the Way Home” is one of those stories that will linger in my mind for some time to come. It is far beyond a 5-star book. The truths came flowing from the historical situations like gold discovered shimmering at your feet in a river. So many “ahaa” moments in this story. There were two subplots that blended together beau ...more
Dirt Poor Duchess
Jan 24, 2016 Dirt Poor Duchess rated it liked it
This book is a real eye-opener to what it was like during WWII and Vietnam and the struggles and rascism that took place back then. It taught me a great deal. The reason I was most interested in reading this book is because my best friend is Tiawanese and I have only visted her country once in my life so far (which was 5 years ago.) I was interested to see how Sunny and Augie's friendship had grown because it reminded me of my best friend and our friendship over the years. The book is well writt ...more
Diana
Sep 10, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing
Another great historical Christian fiction book by Ann Tatlock! if you want to "feel" what it was like in depression era pre-WW2 and relocation camps if you were Japanese American or the deep south when blacks were given the right to vote but were up against the KKK- this is the book for you! I love the way she writes that puts you right there on the street. Overall, this is a story of prejudices, forgiveness and knowing that we don't have the whole story in any situation. There were so many tim ...more
Cathy
Jul 05, 2013 Cathy rated it liked it
kind of slow.
Connie
Jul 05, 2014 Connie rated it it was amazing
This book was marvelous. I am a great fan of author Ann Tatlock. She is a brilliant writer who focuses on a critical social issue in each of her books. The issue is this book was racism in the U.S. from World War II to the mid-1960's.

I am amazed that Ms Tatlock is not better known. Her books are always thought-provoking. The books are not for the "beach read" crowd, but surely there are readers who are looking for meaningfulness who would appreciate this author if they knew of her works.

Jeni Enjaian
Tatlock's wordsmith ability increases tremendously with each book she writes.

I really enjoyed this story though I would have enjoyed it more had she spent more time developing the first half of the story, the part describing Augie and Sunny's childhood friendship. That likely would have required a second book since this book is already quite long. I wouldn't have been adverse to that though I understand why Tatlock chose to structure the book as she did.

Once again I am amazed at how capably Tatl
Rachel
Jun 17, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book, and by extension this author, go on my list of favorites for this year! There were times in which i felt the story could have easily been split into two full-length volumes, but the way the author brought everything full-circle was satisfying in the extreme. I had never read fiction that discussed the interment camps, and the author drew a comparison with another historical period that was both riveting and convicting. Beautiful work. i highly recommend!!
Wendy Hall
Mar 10, 2013 Wendy Hall rated it liked it
I enjoyed and appreciated the historical aspects of this novel. I had not known much about the internment camps for people of Japanese descent and this book definitely opened my eyes to some of the life-changes that people were forced to go through for no fault of their own. Part one was set in that time period and place (California) and part two was set in the deep south during the civil rights movement. Both were hard to read about the discrimination people were forced to endure and experience ...more
Bluejay44
Aug 15, 2012 Bluejay44 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the 1rst of Ann Tatlock's books I have read and it certainly won't be the last. It goes straight into my favourites folder. Right from the 1rst page to the last, it held my attention. Bringing vividly into life the differences and attitutes of Augie and Sunny's familys, it brought both smiles and tears to my face. Such indifference and then such love and understanding.
And then their meeting years later, the world around them still in turmoil, this time between races rather than between
Val
Jan 21, 2015 Val rated it it was amazing
this book is hard to describe. It was well written, kept my interest and I learned so much about the Japanese in WWII and the African Americans in the 60s. I feel it came at a different direction than most of us hear in school. I loved that. I felt with the characters. It is a bit long and at some points, it could have been shortened, but otherwise a great read!
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Far better than I would ever expect a free read to be. I enjoyed the plot, the history and the characters. Some of the plot twists were a little too coincidental but not enough to diminish my enjoyment of the book. I look forward to trying something else from this author.
Krista
Mar 10, 2013 Krista rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you mix the story-telling genius of Jamie Ford's "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" with Kathryn Stockett's "The Help?" This fabulous read is a mixture of both with a mesmerizing twist that is unique to Ann Tatlock. Her characters dripped sincerity and I felt at the end that I had traveled alongside them and would recognize them in seconds if they knocked at my door. A warning that the topics she addresses are often "hard to take" and brutally honest." Also, I must le ...more
Loraine
Jun 08, 2016 Loraine rated it really liked it
What a great historical novel. Set the 1960's it was an interesting story about a little girl who became a "member" of a Japanese family just 3 years before Pearl Harbor was bombed. And the way her life were impacted from then on. What a tragedy, and yet a beautiful story about true family. The definition of family is not someone whose blood you share. As this book clearly demonstrates. Beautifully told, its a testament that "family" means people you live with, love, share emotions and experienc ...more
Debbie
Jan 15, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
I started out absolutely loving this book . About halfway thru, though, it got way too long and too wordy- So detailed in the facts of the setting/time that I started to loose the characters. I had to give it a four because of the theme, the connection of the characters and the intense backdrop of WW11 and Civil Rights era-

Jenalyn C
Nov 14, 2015 Jenalyn C rated it it was ok
The author wanted to talk about prejudice and discrimination which is a worthy goal. However the book was choppy, contrived, too long, and the characters were not real. I didn't care about any of them.
Lori
Dec 16, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
This book really took forever to get anywhere and many times I almost gave up. It was only the last maybe 75 pages that really hooked me and thus earned 4 stars. I was leaning towards 3 the entire time up to that point.

But seriously, WHO edits these ebooks? That punctuation errors were driving me insane. Periods missing EVERYWHERE. It really takes away from the enjoyment of reading when you are stopped dead to try to decipher what really is going on because the punctuation just doesn't help you
Shanda Braithwaite
Nov 19, 2015 Shanda Braithwaite rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Maybe a bit more...
Slower start but very interesting book about the prejudice of Japanese and African American during the civil rights movements and the bombing of Hiroshima...and human friendship and compassion all mixed together.

I enjoyed it!

Sarah Bramlett
I read this because after my mom read it she loved it and started looking for all of her books. We normally have pretty similar tastes so I thought I'd give it a try.

While slow to start all the background in the first half of the book really does suck you in. I enjoyed it and all the mini roller coasters of emotions it took me on. It was interesting to learn what was happening to different people in America during WWII because no one ever really talks about anything but the Jews and Hitler.
  • Blue Hole Back Home
  • The Second Thanksgiving
  • The Voyage of Promise (Grace in Africa, #2)
  • Witness
  • The Edge of Grace
  • The Fence My Father Built
  • Stepping Into Sunlight
  • Wildflowers of Terezin
  • The Master's Wall (Iron & the Stone #1)
  • Promise Me This
  • A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2)
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Roanoke: The Lost Colony (Keepers of the Ring, #1)
  • Blood Sisters
Ann Tatlock is a novelist and children’s book author. Her books have received numerous awards, including the Christy Award, the Midwest Book Award and the Silver Angel Award for Excellence in Media. She also serves as managing editor of Heritage Beacon, the historical fiction imprint of Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas. She lives with her family in Western North Carolina.
More about Ann Tatlock...