Silver's Edge (Shadowlands, #1)

Silver's Edge (Shadowlands #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  434 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Three women--a blacksmith's daughter, a Sidhe lady, and a mortal queen--are each driven by a personal destiny to stand against an encroaching evil. Yet they share a fierce sense of love, justice, and determination to protect what is theirs.
Published July 1st 2005 by Luna Books (first published June 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Silver's Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver's Edge

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
37th out of 119 books — 134 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Five Stars
107th out of 1,215 books — 354 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara ★
This is a greatly detailed book with many worlds and numerous characters in all three worlds. Figuring out what is going on is easier than figuring out all the characters, who is who, where they are and how everyone is related.

We have the Shadowlands where the mortals reside. This includes Cecily (one of the three important females), her husband, Donner, and her lover Kian...these are some of the good guys. So of course, we also have bad guys...Donner's heir, Cadwyr is the lone human one. On th...more
Renee
This is a very dark book. It starts slow, lot of leisurely narrative. The premise/basis of the whole story is finally stated at the bottom of page 86 "What if - what if it's the (Silver) Caul that's poisononing the land? If it's the Caul that's weakening (Sidhe Queen) Alemandine?"

The Silver Caul was created by a Sidhe queen's magic and a human blacksmith's craft to erect and hold a barrier to keep the mortal Shadowlands, the Sidhe lands and the goblin lands separate. No one could travel between...more
Julie
Samhain is soon approaching. The time of year when the human world and the Sidhe world or the Otherworld have their boarders thinned. A magical time of year that is celebrated by both the humans and the Sidhe.

This year however, an odd occurrence has happened. The Sidhe Samhain and the human Samhain coincide on the same day. No one, not even the immortal Sidhe can remember this happening in all of history. It could not have come at a worse time either. The Great Silver Caul, or magical net that k...more
Kerry
Sep 24, 2012 Kerry marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2004, fantasy
I just didn't get far enough into this one to get it completed. I have so many other books I want to read and I'm just not inspired to put in the work on it.

I really thought I would like this. The premise was good and my kind of 'thing'. But it was really slow going. Reading isn't as easy for me as it used to be and I now tend to work on the concept of an effort/reward ratio. If I have to put in too much effort for too little reward, I'm not always going to stick at it. I think that's what happ...more
Nanc Evans
i wanted to like this its the kind of story i enjoy, but i couldn't get into this book at all. will keep trying
Beth (moonivy)
Aug 05, 2007 Beth (moonivy) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy readers.
Read 8/4-8/5/07
Silver's Edge tells the interwoven story of Nessa, a blacksmith's daughter, Cicely, an unhappy dutchess and Delphinea, a Sidhe lady-in-waiting in their efforts to save the mortal Shadowlands and the Sidhe Faery from destruction. Tinged with Celtic mythology, Silver's Edge is a pleasant
fantasy novel, if somewhat scattered and derivative. A strong second half leaves me hopeful for the second novel, Silver's Bane.

Genre : Fantasy
Rating : 8.25
Publication : 2004
Where From : the library
R...more
Nancy
Jul 30, 2011 Nancy added it
I wanted this to be good, I really, really did. Its not. I can see the premise and it has potential but falls flat. It is very one dimensional, and just blah. Very hop skippy around as well. Characters and setting shift from paragraph to paragraph with out any breaks or chaptering. The potential is there, just didn't happen for me. And I thought it would be a good trilogy. *sigh*
Brittany Herz
The first book of my first fantasy series. This was a nice place to start for a person intimated by the genre. I dreaded the idea of 1000+ page books filled in lineage charts, long names, and maps. The story had a good balance between complexity, history, and romance. I really enjoyed the world and characters. I was very excited for the next book in the series.
Natalie Long
The book was decent enough to keep me turning the page, but I felt it almost tried to do too much for what I was expecting. I also had not realized it was the first in a series, which was disappointing. I grabbed it thinking I would get to read the whole story. However, it was interesting enough for me to now be pursuing the sequel.
Salimbol
Hmm, pretty standard Celtic fantasy fare, really. Some interesting ideas here and there (e.g. the interdependence of the three lands), but neither plotting, nor world-building, nor characterisation ever really cohered into anything special. That said, it was easy to read, and I *do* want to know what happens next.
Anafielle
"This is a fairly mediocre fantasy romance. The author has clearly read too many books on sex magic."

This. From previous review.

Very easy read, certainly enjoyable in that beach summer book kind of way. But nothing special. Your typical elves and humans Celtic fantasy book.
nimrodiel
My bigest complaint with this book was that I didn't know it was the first book in a series. It ended with a rather cliffhanger ending that left me going "what just happened?"

The book was much different than I expected, and was a fantastic story. I'm just left hanging...
Lindsay Stares
This is a fairly mediocre fantasy romance. The author has clearly read too many books on sex magic. There were a few interesting characters/pairings, but overall it was too complicated. I was briefly tempted to try to read the sequel, but now I'm ambivalent.
Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫
I loved this epic fantasy. It is magical and the world is positively enchanting. It was so full of intrigue that I couldn't put it down. This is the series that really brought me into the world of fairies and started my obsession with Luna books.
Pamela
Feb 04, 2008 Pamela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who enjoy strong heroine based stories
Shelves: fantasy
Annie Kelleher delivers a lush and wondrous tale, rich in folklore and mythology with vibrant characters on an impossible quest. Her use of gaelic gives the story a wondrous appeal.
For readers who like strong heroines it is a fine read.
Cait
Jun 24, 2008 Cait marked it as to-read-later
Eh. It couldn't hold my interest past the first two chapters in the time I had it checked out of the library. Maybe I'll try it again later -- it looked like it might be getting into at least a few unusual angles on faerieland.
lisa
good enough to read the next in the series since i borrowed it from the library. good enough, also, to buy it if i had bought the first one. however, not good enough to run out and get the next one when i finished.

Julie
I loved this series and the world in it. I remember when I first saw this book- before the other books came out, I thought this was a "must consider" for any fantasy lover. :)
Joy
I'm rereading this story because I read it so fast I forgot most of it. Its okay the second time around but its a simple story.
Felicity
Meh. This is almost a good series and almost a good book but when it comes right down to it, it isn't.
Katie Lorsch
Maybe I'd give it a 2.5. Wasn't my favorite, but I own the series so I felt obligated to read it.
Lian Etrebron
mystery that i could not get hold of... so i should really get those books 2 and 3. grr...
Moonlight Reads
Please read our full review at www.moonlightreads.com.
Karissa
Fantastic characters. Nice twists.
Pamela
Excellent read - epic fantasy
Cassie Morgan
Terribly boring.
PWRL
Jun 17, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
E
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • The Wizard's Ward (Umbria, #1)
  • Seraphim (Changelings, #1)
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • The Compass Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • The Summer Country (Summer Country, #1)
  • Song of Unmaking (White Magic, #2)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
  • Eyes of Crow (Aspect of Crow, #1)
Anne holds a BA from Johns Hopkins University in Humanity Studies and a BA in English language and literature from the University of Connecticut. Anne was born and raised in New Jersey, but now resides in Connecticut and Hawaii. She is a mother of four and grandmother of two. Along with being a published author Anne is a professional writing coach and a sought after intuitive medium.
More about Anne Kelleher...
Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2) Silver's Lure How David Met Sarah A Once and Future Love The Highwayman (Irish Eyes, #10)