Start by marking “Darkwater: Voices from Within the Veil (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
Darkwater: Voices from Within the Veil (Dodo Press)

Darkwater: Voices from Within the Veil (Dodo Press)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Classic work on race, class and gender by the civil rights activist and leader, sociologist, educator, historian, prolific writer, editor, poet, scholar, and socialist.
Published September 20th 2006 by Dodo Press (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Darkwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkwater

Drick
W.E.B Dubois is best known for Souls of Black Folk,but was a prolific writer and public critic for the duration of his life. This collection of essays, poems and stories was published in 1920 and included items that had been published elsewhere.They show Dubois passion for justice and his anger at the ongoing degradation being experienced by black people due to Jim Crow. He also writes in support of women's rights and his opposition to war. They also show that Dubois was a forerunner of things s ...more
Erin
This is a little bit of a departure from his other books. This is a collection of essays mixed in with a few short stories and poems. His tone has shifted as well. It is much darker and he has more of negative view on the world. I have to say that my favorite story was the "Black Jesus" one.
Maria
Du Bois was ahead of his time. These essays talk about issues that are still current.
Arletta Saafir
Bet yall didn't know Dubois wrote a novel...check it out it is quite good...
Joyce
I'm sure this is a classic--intriguing essays, sketches, and poems--and I wouldn't have made it through in print. However, were it not for Dion Graham and Bahni Turpin, I wouldn't have made it through the audio either! In emphasizing the book's importance, several narrators chose stilted reading styles that were off-putting and completely ignored the cadence of the text. Dark essays for those with more intellectual and political taste and interest than I have.
Jon
Lyrical and quite moving at points.
Ianto
Heavy read... but definitely one I'll be revisiting.
Lacey
Jan 05, 2008 Lacey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in American history, or Racial and ethnic history
This is definately worth reading. Even in DuBois' desperation and disappointment with things, his genius shines through. Very few people ever mention this book. They point instead to Souls of Black Folk, The Philadelphia Negro, or Reconstruction. This one is definitely worth including in our discussions about what made DuBois equally brilliant and sad.
mis fit
I don't know, I might even like this better than Souls of Black Folk. Really powerful connections between capitalism, racism, and colonialism.
Melanie
We read this for our Second Life book club. Really beautiful combination, part prose, part social discourse.
liked it better than "Souls..." It's experimental.
Isha Ahmad
Isha Ahmad marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Jason R
Jason R marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Eboni Walker
Eboni Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Vicki Hall
Vicki Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Kiya A. Stokes
Kiya A. Stokes marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Daniel Hauff-Lazar
Daniel Hauff-Lazar is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
Mary Wilson
Mary Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Kathryn Waller
Kathryn Waller is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2015
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Mark Newhall
Mark Newhall marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Edgar Alan Cole
Edgar Alan Cole marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
  • Let Nobody Turn Us Around: Voices on Resistance, Reform, and Renewal an African American Anthology
  • Scenes of Subjection: Terror, Slavery, and Self-Making in Nineteenth-Century America
  • Black Bourgeoisie
  • The Black Atlantic: Modernity and Double-Consciousness
  • No Shame in My Game: The Working Poor in the Inner City
  • Thirdspace: Expanding the Geographical Imagination
  • Colored People
  • Open Wide The Freedom Gates: A Memoir
  • W.E.B. Du Bois: Biography of a Race, 1868-1919
  • Contempt of Court: The Turn-Of-The-Century Lynching That Launched 100 Years of Federalism
  • Love and Theft
  • Imperial Leather: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in the Colonial Contest
  • Racial Formation in the United States: From the 1960s to the 1990s
  • Writing Beyond Race: Living Theory and Practice
  • Spaces of Hope
  • Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday
  • Black No More
  • Selected Writings and Speeches of Marcus Garvey
In 1868, W.E.B. Du Bois (né William Edward Burghardt Du Bois) was born in Massachusetts. He attended Fisk College in Nashville, then earned his BA in 1890 and his MS in 1891 from Harvard. Du Bois studied at the University of Berlin, then earned his doctorate in history from Harvard in 1894. He taught economics and history at Atlanta University from 1897-1910. The Souls of Black Folk (1903) made hi ...more
More about W.E.B. Du Bois...
The Souls of Black Folk Black Reconstruction in America 1860-1880 Writings Three Negro Classics The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study