Start by marking “Darkwater: Voices from Within the Veil” as Want to Read:
Darkwater: Voices from Within the Veil

Darkwater: Voices from Within the Veil

The distinguished American civil rights leader, W. E. B. Du Bois first published these fiery essays, sketches, and poems individually nearly 80 years ago in the Atlantic, the Journal of Race Development, and other periodicals. Reflecting the author's ideas as a politician, historian, and artist, this volume has long moved and inspired readers with its militant cry for ...more
Published July 2nd 1999 by Dover Publications (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Darkwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkwater

Drick
Jul 31, 2012 Drick rated it really liked it
W.E.B Dubois is best known for Souls of Black Folk,but was a prolific writer and public critic for the duration of his life. This collection of essays, poems and stories was published in 1920 and included items that had been published elsewhere.They show Dubois passion for justice and his anger at the ongoing degradation being experienced by black people due to Jim Crow. He also writes in support of women's rights and his opposition to war. They also show that Dubois was a forerunner of things ...more
Erin
Oct 24, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it
This is a little bit of a departure from his other books. This is a collection of essays mixed in with a few short stories and poems. His tone has shifted as well. It is much darker and he has more of negative view on the world. I have to say that my favorite story was the "Black Jesus" one.
Maria
Oct 12, 2007 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Du Bois was ahead of his time. These essays talk about issues that are still current.
Ianto
Jun 08, 2015 Ianto rated it really liked it
Heavy read... but definitely one I'll be revisiting.
Arletta Saafir
Jun 20, 2010 Arletta Saafir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bet yall didn't know Dubois wrote a novel...check it out it is quite good...
Jon
Sep 07, 2016 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lyrical and quite moving at points.
Sam Bledsoe
Dec 03, 2016 Sam Bledsoe rated it liked it
It's an intense political, civil rights, philosophy book. It gave me a lot to think about and go over in my head over the last month, but overall this was a hard book to push through. I think if you want to know more about how race is talked about on a civil rights level, this is THE book to start with. But, when I was given the choice between reading this and other activities, I choose other activities. There is so much to think about and so much going on that it can be a chore to get through.

I
Rick
Oct 28, 2016 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, non-fiction
There is a long, brilliant literary bridge from Frederick Douglass to Ta-Nehisi Coates of analyses of race in America. Between the two are many writers and works that are essential to any useful understanding of 21st century America. Wright, of course, King, and not just his speeches. Baldwin. Many others, particularly if you include poetry, drama and fiction. But sticking with non-fiction, W. E. B. Du Bois is certainly on that list of essential reading. The Souls of Black Folk is a classic of A ...more
Ronnie
Oct 10, 2016 Ronnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Filled with mysticism and harsh reality, this compilation of essays and poems provides amaz

Provides amazing insight into the political, social, and cultural world of circa 1910 America and the world. I was fascinated by the similarities between Due Bois' observations on his times and my views of contemporary America. The more things change the more they remain the same.
Gregory
Sep 29, 2016 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His analyses and insights are just as valid today as they were when he first wrote then. That stands as a testament to how far the USA still has yet to go. We have not come as far as many insist.
Joyce
I'm sure this is a classic--intriguing essays, sketches, and poems--and I wouldn't have made it through in print. However, were it not for Dion Graham and Bahni Turpin, I wouldn't have made it through the audio either! In emphasizing the book's importance, several narrators chose stilted reading styles that were off-putting and completely ignored the cadence of the text. Dark essays for those with more intellectual and political taste and interest than I have.
Lacey
Jan 05, 2008 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in American history, or Racial and ethnic history
This is definately worth reading. Even in DuBois' desperation and disappointment with things, his genius shines through. Very few people ever mention this book. They point instead to Souls of Black Folk, The Philadelphia Negro, or Reconstruction. This one is definitely worth including in our discussions about what made DuBois equally brilliant and sad.
Julie
May 04, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
It's strange to rate a book like this. It wasn't fun to read, but a lot of it was still shockingly relevant. The last story was incredibly powerful. There was a glimpse of redemption before it all came crashing back.
Melanie
We read this for our Second Life book club. Really beautiful combination, part prose, part social discourse.
mis fit
Nov 10, 2011 mis fit rated it really liked it
I don't know, I might even like this better than Souls of Black Folk. Really powerful connections between capitalism, racism, and colonialism.
Maria Zaragoza
Maria Zaragoza rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Family Nehila
Family Nehila rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2009
Craig Cunningham
Craig Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2010
Mary Catherine
Mary Catherine rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2014
Christiana
Christiana rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2014
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2009
Chloe Felterman
Chloe Felterman rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Sara-Maria
Sara-Maria rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Margaret Jones
Margaret Jones rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Brown
Brown rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Grace Heneks
Grace Heneks rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Lord Kai
Lord Kai rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Africana
  • My Face Is Black Is True: Callie House and the Struggle for Ex-Slave Reparations
  • Let Nobody Turn Us Around: Voices on Resistance, Reform, and Renewal an African American Anthology
  • Scenes of Subjection: Terror, Slavery, and Self-Making in Nineteenth-Century America
  • Black Bourgeoisie
  • Colored People
  • No Shame in My Game: The Working Poor in the Inner City
  • Thirdspace: Expanding the Geographical Imagination
  • Imperial Leather: Race, Gender, and Sexuality in the Colonial Contest
  • Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday
  • Contempt of Court: The Turn-of-the-Century Lynching That Launched a Hundred Years of Federalism
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
  • W.E.B. Du Bois: Biography of a Race, 1868-1919
  • Writing Beyond Race: Living Theory and Practice
  • Faces at the Bottom of the Well: The Permanence of Racism
  • Black No More
  • Open Wide The Freedom Gates: A Memoir
  • From Max Weber: Essays in Sociology
In 1868, W.E.B. Du Bois (William Edward Burghardt Du Bois, pronounced 'doo-boyz') was born in Massachusetts. He attended Fisk College in Nashville, then earned his BA in 1890 and his MS in 1891 from Harvard. Du Bois studied at the University of Berlin, then earned his doctorate in history from Harvard in 1894. He taught economics and history at Atlanta University from 1897-1910. The Souls of Black ...more
More about W.E.B. Du Bois...