Poeta En Nueva York (Pocas Palabras)

Poeta En Nueva York (Pocas Palabras)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,691 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Este libro sobre Nueva York -explicoacute; Federico a un periodista-, que traje de mi viaje a los Estados Unidos, no he querido darlo a ninguno de los editores que me lo han pedido. Despueacute;s lo publicareacute;, pero primero quiero darlo a conocer en la forma de una conferencia. Leereacute; versos y explicareacute; coacute;mo han surgido. Es decir, lo ireacute; leyendo...more
Published April 28th 1998 by Lumen Espana (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Poeta En Nueva York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poeta En Nueva York

MJ Nicholls
Devastating poems composed during the Andalusian bard’s 1929-30 stay in New York. This edition contains a brilliant introduction and unobtrusive commentaries, plus a lecture (which I read) and letters to his family (which I skipped). My favourite of the cycle is this spinechilling number from Part III, Streets and Dreams (with incorrect line breaks and my apologies to the poet):

Sleepless City (Brooklyn Bridge Nocturne)

Out in the sky, no one sleeps. No one, no one.
No one sleeps.
Lunar creatures s...more
Vale
Toni cupi, di morte e solitudine, che nulla hanno a che fare con il Lorca vitale de Libro de Poemas.
E' una New York grottesca, sordida e alienata. Le metafore e le sinestesie si intrecciano così vorticosamente da lasciare sempre meno spazio alla comprensione del lettore. Si sa, la poesia parla per archetipi e forse è proprio questo ciò che ci fa amarla: non doverla sottoporre al microscopio della ragione, eppure stavolta avrei preferito qualche verso meno criptico.
Ode a Walt Whitman è commoven...more
Alan
o Lorca. If only you were buried nearby so I could hump your grave while sobbing. Best, most tortured, sweetest, strangest, most bitter.
Chetley
Themes: Primitivism vs Mechanization. Nature vs City. Science vs Emotion,"Magic" aka the Spirit. Wildness. Puritanism. Fluidity vs Structure. Death. Money. Reality vs Dreams (false dreams aka untruths).
Lorca wrote on New York as a "savage" place doomed by mechanization, money, science, the loss of nature, wildness, fluidity, and the denial of roots and primitivism. For instance, from the Dance of Death:
Between the sphinx and the bank vault, there is a taut thread
that pierces the heart of all po...more
Kurt
This is a fantastic book. I hear the word "Surrealism" tossed around a lot in reference to this work, but I'm not sure that I agree with that description, even though I understand what people mean when they say it. In my opinion, Lorca is attempting to use words in a descriptive way so as to capture setting, emotion and character, (many times the setting and character are New York, the city itself)much in the way an artist uses paint.The words themselves transcend their literal meanings. What as...more
Alex
I knew nothing of Lorca until this weekend, which saddens and embarrasses me since I adore Spanish culture. I watched the film 'Little Ashes' thinking it was about Salvador Dali but found the life and causes of Dali's poet lover Federico Garcia Lorca much more compelling. My friend was kind enough to lend me this book of poems he wrote about his experiences while studying in New York and visiting Cuba.

This edition came with a fantastic introduction which gave a lot of context to the often confu...more
Richard
How to write a review of a work that I barely understand, but find so beautiful I have to give it 5 bright, and shining stars?

I bought my first copy of Poet in New York over 40 years ago. It was Ben Bellit's translation. Mr. Bellit has also translated Pablo Neruda. I can't say as I find any of his translations readable. But, I persevered, opening the book every now and then, and finding the lines mostly incomprehensible blamed the translation and said, "Maybe later."

The new Simon and White trans...more
Peycho Kanev
Gabriel Garcia Lorca truly shows that when it comes to the movements as a city with ties to industry, capitalistic gain and material wealth, there is no division between the life of the human being and the life of the machine. Lorca arrived in New York just in time to witness the chaos created by the 1929 stock market crash. The poet's favorite neighborhood was Harlem; he loved African-American spirituals, which reminded him of Spain's "deep songs."
Like jazz and soul, it holds rage, irony and gr...more
Roqaiah Al-Fareed
لم أجد هنا نسخة الكتاب الذي بين يدي..
النسخة الصادرة عن دار أزمنة ترجمة حسين مجيد
عن دراسة لديريك هاريس..

هنا لوركا عندما أتيحت له فرصة السفر لأمريكا غرض دخول الجامعة في نيويورك فكتب ديوانه الواضح من مسماه في حين قضائه تلك المدة مابين منتصف عام 1929 لأواخر عام 1930.. عندما زُكي في ذهابه لتعلم الانجليزية في الجامعة
قال: داوها بالداء
إلا أنه بعد ما يقارب الستة أشهر فقط لم يكمل دواءه "الداء"

نهج لوركا الأسباني منهج السريالية التعبيرية فاتضحت في هذا الديوان، هو مذهب فني أدبي وفكري إنتهجه وأبدع فيه الفرنسي...more
Eli
I don´t often add poetry books to my list. I guess it´s because poetry books aren´t read like other types of books. Poems are almost isolated, and I come and go from these books freely, when I need them or want them, instead of being bound by their linear succession of page after page of story.
However, Poet in New York, is very special to me. This is a collection that I´ve read through like any other book and I´ve read in isolated bits according to the weather and to love and to times of day.
It´...more
مروة الإتربي
هو انا مش عارفه هل عشان هو مترجم فحساه غريب ؟ ولا
ايه بالظبط ..

فضولي دفعني وبشدة إني أقراله ..
لو اعتبرت ان هو ده شعره فعلاً بالترجمه دي فهو رمزي جداً
ورمزيته غريبة وغير مفهومه تماما ..

............
كزا جملة بس شدّوني نوعاً ما
.....

أصطدم بوجهي الذي يتغير كل يوم .

وقمراً لا يفهمه أحد

ثمة آلام من الفراغات التي لا يقطنها أحد .

في موتي وحيداً مهجوراً

يصيح بأن زمن القبلات لم يحن بعد

فيثنتي ألكساندر

الوحدة...more
جابر طاحون
حقيقة الأمر ده أكتر عمل بحبه للوركا رغم كونه اوسط أعماله و إلي بدأ فيه يتحكم في أدواته الشعرية إلي ظهرت فعد كده في بقية أعماله الشعرية و المسرحية .الديوان متأثر بشعر إليوت و خصوصا الأرض الخراب و أربعاء الرماد و ده واضح في التضحية الشعائريةو التشابك و التداخل و صور الانهيار و العقم و الشذوذ و صور الخراب الظاهرة في مجموعتين الأولي الجماهير المتقيئة المدمرة المفسدة للحياة و الثانية أدوات العقاب و التطهير التي ستقع علي المدينة و عذ و عذاب الشاعر أمام ذلك و سرده لحكايات بحثه عن المعني و الهوية

ستأتي...more
Inma
For me this is his best poetry. His previous "simbolic" poetry is simply unbearable and I can't understand anything at all, in fact I hate his previous poetry. This one is less beautiful, darker but much easier to understand, at least for me, maybe because you can see that he's actually understanding himself much better after knowing of Walt Whitman and seeing other things.
Rebecca
Jul 24, 2007 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the off-kilter
I love the passion in every syllable of Lorca's poetry, and his insane surrealist imagery -- which makes sense in the most surprising ways. I'm not a super Spanish-linguist but the translation seems to be a good balance of literal and poetic accuracy. The side-by-side translations make it possible to read it how it's supposed to be read and understand it at the same time.
Jesse
i've always been fascinated by garcía lorca's take on harlem--i wish i could have been a fly on the wall at a couple of those parties where where lorca sang and played piano and basked in the attention of harlem artists--so in love with the admiration and affinity he perceived in his audience.
Tom Meade
I don't know that there's much I can say of this book, beyond noting that it's certainly one of the strangest and most terrifying things I've ever read. I think I may finally understand where Jeff Mangum got his ideas from.
Kevin
incredible poems. unfortunately, some of them are supremely fucked up by the translation. dude translates bullshit into "cow-dung". are you serious? i ended up almost reading the spanish more than the english.
Liana
One time, I told a professor that this book changed my life. I embarrassed myself by saying that. Next time, I'll be wary about revealing life-changing books. No, not really.
Rick
Okay, I've been reading this book for twelve years. But moving to New York finally made me read it from beginning to end. Wow. His lecture at the end is glorious.
Melissa Kay
Turns out, I very much prefer reading about Lorca to actually reading Lorca.
Kiof
One of the very best poetry books i've encountered. Must read.
Amanda Leon

حينما أسكن الى نفسي
تسكن معي سنينك العشر ،
والخيول الثلاثة العمي
وجوهك الخمسة عشر مع الوجه المضروب بالحجر
والأهتياجات الصغيرة المتجمدة على أوراق الذرة .
ستانتون ،ولدي ستانتون .
يسطع بريق الحرق سنين طوال
حزني تشظى في الأصائل
حي...more
Andrew Bach
I'm re-reading my small library collection, deciding which books to keep or sell or donate. This one's a keeper.

I bought the bilingual edition while I was attending school in Columbia, Missouri. Not yet able to drink, the downtown area of the college town had little to offer me other than a small used bookstore called "Get Lost!" I hope the place is still there because it had a killer selection (seriously, the best I've seen in a used bookstore). They also had a 2 couches cramming up the place a...more
Julia Boechat Machado
Nocturno del hueco
II
Yo.
Con el hueco blanquísimo de un caballo,
crines de ceniza. Plaza pura y doblada.

Yo.
Mi hueco traspasado con las axilas rotas.
Piel seca de uva neutra y amianto de madrugada.

Toda la luz del mundo cabe dentro de un ojo.
Canta el gallo y su canto dura más que sus alas.

Yo.
Con el hueco blanquísimo de un caballo.
Rodeado de espectadores que tienen hormigas en las palabras.

En el circo del frío sin perfil mutilado.
Por los capiteles rotos de las mejillas desangradas.

Mi hueco sin...more

or
michael buble
اللي بيغنيهاo
Gabriel M. Clarke
Not only a bilingual text of the poems but also a lecture and a selection of the letters written to his parents over the course of his sojourn. The especially lovely thing about this edition is the sense it gives you of Lorca the human being - clearly gifted and charming but also an inveterate and doubtless infuriating fantasist. And then there's the poetry! A flood of splendour, a nightmare...Lorca's New York is the city of Rimbaud's Illuminations and Chaplin's Modern Times rolled into one. It...more
Ie
Caimans, masks, moons, vomits, weepings, sailors, deaths, negroes—some of the images that populate Lorca's translation of the surreal 1929-1930's Nueva York. Incredible how Lorca sustains pulse in all his poems, especially with the longer ones like The King of Harlem, and my absolute favorite poem, Ode to Walt Whitman. Incredible translation too. Feels far superior to, say, Belitt's, the only other version I have.
Nicholas
Lorca's talks are great. I enjoy listening to poets talk like normal people - their consideration of language results in communication that is a bit better than ordinary speakers, but better in such a wonderful way.

Lorca's voice is plainspoken but educated, and consistently evocative - he doesn't try to tell what he cannot animate. At the same time, he doesn't sound like a retard. Invaluable for this reason only (read it aloud and bask in the fact that this was his ordinariness.)
Cathlin Goulding
Bought this book in conjunction with the Lorca festival here in New York (Patti Smith singing Lorca tributes at the New York Public Library, can't get better than that!). Reading Lorca's poems of Harlem and the crash on Wall Street makes me see New York freshly, through the eyes of a newcomer. I especially loved reading Lorca's letters to his family about his time as a student at Columbia University. Lorca's poems of New York are decadent, impassioned, and clamorous.
  • Trilce
  • Campos de Castilla
  • Residence on Earth
  • The Collected Books
  • Trilogy: The Walls Do Not Fall / Tribute to the Angels / The Flowering of the Rod
  • Winter Stars
  • Luces de Bohemia
  • Altazor
  • El árbol de la ciencia
  • Soledades
  • The Romantic Dogs
  • El cuarto de atrás
  • The Branch Will Not Break
  • Sonnets to Orpheus
Born in Fuente Vaqueros, Granada, Spain, June 5,1898; died near Granada, August 19,1936, García Lorca is one of Spain's most deeply appreciated and highly revered poets and dramatists. His murder by the Nationalists at the start of the Spanish civil war brought sudden international fame, accompanied by an excess of political rhetoric which led a later generation to question his merits; after the i...more
More about Federico García Lorca...
La casa de Bernarda Alba The Selected Poems Bodas de sangre Collected Poems Romancero gitano

“Don't ask me any questions. I've seen how things that seek their way find their void instead.” 7 likes
“La aurora de Nueva York tiene
cuatro columnas de cieno
y un huracán de negras palomas
que chapotean las aguas podridas”
0 likes